Forget and Forgive

Writers Strike VST One shot collection

 

Title: Forget and Forgive
Requested by: Im Soo Hyun
Characters: Cho Kyu Hyun, Super Junior
One Shot Writer: sweetcandie
Author’s Note: I really liked your idea for this story and I enjoyed writing every single part of it! J Thank you for requesting and hope you enjoy this oneshot!
 

It was the last day that Im Soo Hyun would be an elementary student. After that day, she would be considered a teenager… in America as that was where her family was moving due to her father’s job.

Everyday she would look for him. Everyday she would try and talk to him. Everyday she would give him an item to show her love for him. And every time, he would just throw it back at her and walk away. Every time, she would pick it up, with tears rolling down her cheeks and tell herself everything would be okay and that tomorrow would be different. But everyday was the same.

But on that day, she just had a feeling that something would happen. That she would no longer have to hide her feelings. She held the box of chocolate in front of her as she smiled. Today, she would tell him straight out that she liked him. Ever since she first met him, she knew he was different. She knew that he would be that someone special for her. He would be her first love.

Soo Hyun looked up to see Kyu Hyun walking down the hall towards her. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes to calm herself down. After five seconds, she opened her eyes again and walked up to Kyu Hyun, stopping him in his tracks.

“Kyu Hyun oppa…” Kyu Hyun stared at Soo Hyun with disgust.

“What is it now?”

“I’m moving away today… and I thought that maybe I should tell you something before I regret it.”

“Finally, you’re going away.” Those words brought a pain to Soo Hyun she had no idea she could ever feel. Her feelings were telling her to leave or she’d get hurt, but she remained where she was. Instead of walking away, she opened and confessed.

“I’ve always liked you, ever since I first saw you.” By now, a group of students had gathered and were watching as they witnessed the scene. Soo Hyun ignored them as she pushed the chocolate box towards Kyu Hyun.

“Will you accept my feelings?” The group of children began to giggle.

“I can’t believe she’s confessing to him? Doesn’t she know that she’s not his type?”

“I know! Poor girl. She’s just ruining herself.” Kyu Hyun heard the whispers going around and began to turn red with embarrassment and anger at the stupid girl in front of him. He snatched the box out of her hands and flung it as hard as he could away from him.

“Was I not obvious enough for you?! I don’t like you! And I never will!” Soo Hyun continued to look at the ground as she cried. She wiped her tears and turned, but before she could leave, Kyu Hyun had one more thing to add.

“It would be better if you just died. Then I wouldn’t have to deal with this embarrassment you’re putting me through. I hope I never see your face again.” Kyu Hyun shoved passed her, leaving her alone, hurt and confused.

[What did I do that he would hate me so much?] Soo Hyun fell to her knees and cried her heart out. Tears poured down as the pain overwhelmed her. Realizing that she needed to be alone, she stood up and ran home. She burst through the front door and ran up to her room.

“Soo Hyun ah… what is wrong?”

“Umma, I don’t want to talk. Just let me be. I’ll be down for dinner before we leave.”

“Araso…” Mrs. Im returned to the kitchen, knowing that the only way her daughter was going to feel better was if she was left alone.

“What happened?”

“Our daughter is going through her first love I believe.”

“Aigoo, whatever guy would turn her away is a blind person.”

“Honey, she’s only 12. It’s tough leaving behind your friends when you’re so young, not to mention if you’ve got a crush.” Mr. Im laughed.

“She’s an Im, my daughter. She’ll pull through this.”

“I hope so.”

After dinner, they finished their last minute packing and left for the airport. Mr. Im opened the door for his daughter.

“Soo Hyun… are you feeling better?” Soo Hyun flashed a smile to her dad.

“Yes, a lot better than before.”

“That’s my daughter. I’m sorry to be putting you through this.”

“It’s okay uppa. I know that you have to do this. I’ll be okay. I’m good at making new friends.” Mr. Im smiled at his daughter as he took out a box and gave it to her.

“It’s my apology gift. You’re not too old for new dresses are you?”

“Uppa! I am never too old for clothes!” Soo Hyun gave her father a kiss on the cheek before he closed the door. Mrs. Im walked up to the car just as Mr. Im opened the door for her.

“You’re a good father.”

“Thank you, but a good father only learns from a good mother.” And the Im family was off to America.

Ten years had passed since that painful memory for Soo Hyun. But she had learned to erase it from her memory and move forward, as nothing would help her if she tried to go back. Ever since that day, she trusted no guy except for her father. Her family, education, and future were the only two things that mattered to her now.

Day after day, she went to school. Night after night, she studied for her exams and classes. She never went out with her friends. She refused all dates. She was set on making a life without a man.

Until her professor told all the students in her business class that each student was required to travel abroad and study in order to qualify for a degree in business in America.

“I have a list of the countries each of you will be going to. There are a few of you that are required to stay in your study abroad program until you’re a graduate from college, which means that you will be taking all your classes there. Class is dismissed. Please come check for which country you will be leaving for in a month. I’ve tried to assign you to somewhere that will most benefit you and give you enough time to prepare for in the coming month.” Soo Hyun remained in her seat, waiting for all the other students to leave so she wouldn’t have to shove passed them. Besides, it was her last class for the day, so she had plenty of time to spare. When the room began to empty, Soo Hyun packed up and went down to the teacher’s desk to check for her schedule. But her professor spoke before she could even look at the list.

“Soo Hyun, I’m sending you to South Korea.”

“South Korea?! Why?! I’m sure I’m better suited for other countries.”

“Yes, in fact, for many. But, as you know, our university is known for our business classes and the success rates of our graduates. Therefore, a CEO of one of South Korea’s biggest business companies has sent me a letter, asking for me to send my best student as they will be evaluating five students, including you, to hire into their company. I had many students in mind to send, but taking into consideration that there was only a month for the students to prep, I decided to send you. You know the language, you know the place, and you’ve placed first in many competitions, more than any of the other students. So, in the end, I decided to send you because you seem to have the most potential.”

“I…”

“You can turn it down, as I have no right to force you. I was just hoping that you wouldn’t give up an opportunity like this, as other students would have wanted it, and I’m offering it to you because of your skills. If you must, then please go home and consider it. Return tomorrow with your answer.”

“Okay. One question though. If I were to go, where would I be studying?”

“For your degree, you will be attending University of Korea, Seoul. But they have assigned private tutors to each student that is participating in this.”

“Do you know who mine is?”

“No, but they did provide a brief description. They wanted to make this experience as business-like as possible, so they’re having the students meet their tutor as if the students were meeting a client.”

“I see…”

“From the description of your tutor, they seem to be very good in what they do, despite only being a student themselves. Seeing as he is an official employee of this company, I’d say you got lucky. Each tutor was assigned through a drawing.”

“Really? Well, I will consider this opportunity then and return with an answer for you. Thank you, sir.”

“You’re welcome. Please do consider this thoroughly and I will see you tomorrow.” Soo Hyun walked out of the room.

“Seoul, South Korea… my hometown that I haven’t visited for so long… not even when mom and dad went.” Soo Hyun sat down on a bench, leaned back, and closed her eyes.

“I guess there is no harm in going. After all, I was only a child then, so how much can it still affect me now?”

“Yah! Im Soo Hyun… talking to yourself again?” Soo Hyun looked up and smiled upon seeing her best friend, Kim Hee Chul.

“Yes. I was just given the greatest opportunity of my life.”

“What?”

“To study abroad in South Korea and have a chance at becoming an employee in one of the biggest international business company.”

“Waaaahhhh! Really?! Are you going to go?”

“That’s the thing, I don’t know.”

“What do you mean?! It’s an offer of a life time! And if you’re still worrying about that guy from when you were a teeny girl, then you are screwed for life. Im Soo Hyun, get over it. It was ten years ago and you were only 12. You’re more mature now. Besides, what’s the likelihood that you’ll meet him?” Soo Hyun smiled.

“You’re right. Then Seoul, South Korea, here I come! Hwaiting!”

“Yes! Hwaiting Soo Hyun! Now, for being such a good friend, will you buy me food? I’m starving!”

“No. I’m tired of the rumors going around that I’m dating you.”

“I like it.”

“That’s because you want them to be true.”

“Yes. When are you going to see that I’m right here by your side?”

“So cheesy. Araso. Let’s go eat. I’m hungry too.” The two friends walked down the campus to one of the best Korean restaurants that brought back the good memories.

So the following day, Soo Hyun told her professor of her plans, and together they planned the first presentation, persuading someone to buy the newest LG phone. She spent the month going over her studies, preparing her speeches and presentations, her outfits, and more studying.

“I have to benefit from this, even if I don’t get hired. At least I’ll have something good to put on my resume.”

The day finally came for Soo Hyun to leave for Seoul. Her parents and Hee Chul were at the airport with her.

“We’re going to miss you so much! I can’t believe you’re going to be gone for 3 years!”

“Not to mention if I get accepted into the company.”

“Aigoo! If that happens, I’ll quit my job and return to South Korea. I miss my home. And besides, we can live off of you as I hear business people make lots of money.”

“Uppa!” Soo Hyun’s mom hugged her.

“I’m so proud of you. Write to me as often as you can, okay?”

“Yes.” Hee Chul was next.

“When you come back, I’ll have a girlfriend to introduce to you, and she won’t be you.” Soo Hyun laughed.

“My friend, what am I going to do without you.”

“I get a vacation at the end of the year, so your mom and I will come visit you then. I can’t wait to see how your first year will go.”

“Araso, uppa… I have to go now, or else I’m going to miss my flight. I’ll see you all soon hopefully! Wish me luck!” Hee Chul exaggeratingly waved his hands in the air.

“Good luck! Although you don’t need it!” Soo Hyun smiled and waved to the dearest people in her life at the moment.

[It’s all happening again. Leaving friends behind and starting a new life. This time my parents won’t be there to cheer my on.] Soo Hyun found her seat. She sat by the window and looked out. She heaved a sigh.

“Seoul, here I come. Kyu Hyun… I wonder if I’ll run into you at all.” She closed her eyes in hopes of calming her beating heart.

Hours passed, but when Soo Hyun woke up, the plane was preparing to land.

~ We will be landing in Seoul shortly. Please keep your seatbelts on until we have safely landed and enjoy your stay here. Thank you! ~

Soo Hyun looked out her window.

“Home sweet home… as the saying goes.” As she entered the airport, she saw a sign with her name on it. She walked up to the person and smiled.

“Hello there. I’m Im Soo Hyun. It’s nice to meet you.” The lady held grasped Soo Hyun’s hand and smiled.

“It’s very nice to meet you. My name is Park Bo Young, employee of Seoul International Business, the company in which you are competing for a position.”

“Wow! It sounds so professional, I’m shivering. Sounds like I’ll have some tough competition.” Bo Young laughed.

“Yes, it seems so. Come, you must meet your tutor, whom I must praise is one of our best employees, being a student of Seoul University himself.”

“Really? That’s what my professor said too. I’m very excited to meet this person.” Soo Hyun gathered her items and followed Bo Young to the front, where a man opened the door for them.

“Waahh! We even have our own driver?!”

“Sent by the CEO himself.” Soo Hyun’s smile just couldn’t get any bigger.

[I can’t believe this is happening to me!] About 15 minutes later, they arrived in front of a hotel.

“Hotel?”

“Yes, this is one that is owned by our company, so we meet many of our clients here as well as other hotels, so your first task is to memorize which hotels we own so you can meet with your clients. Your tutor will be showing you to the apartment in which you will be staying during your competition. If you win, you will remain there two years paid for you already, unless you choose to move out otherwise. I hope you the best in this competition. I know we’re not supposed to favor any of the competitors, but you left me with a very good first impression. I’m rooting for you.” Soo Hyun smiled at Bo Young and thanked her for her motivation and explanations.

“You’re very welcome. I’ll drop your things off at your place as I must make sure everything is in place for our competitors. Until next time. The driver closed the door and returned to the driver’s seat. Soo Hyun waved after the car and entered the hotel.

“It’s so beautiful.” Soo Hyun looked around a bit, but then remembered the first rule in business; never be late to any of your meetings. She looked at her watch and realized that she had ten minutes left. She went to the lounge in search of her tutor.

“Omo! Why didn’t I ask Bo Young what he looked like? How am I going to find him?”

“Excuse, ma’am?” Soo Hyun turned around.

“I’m sorry sir. Am I in your way?” The man smiled at her.

“Yes. Can I help you?”

“I’m uhh… looking for someone very important, but I don’t know what he looks like.”

“Isn’t that dangerous then, for a young lady like you.” Soo Hyun glared at the man.

“Are you saying that I’m weak and defenseless then, ajusshi?” The man smiled.

“I assume you’re a contestant of the business competition my company is holding. And you must also be Im Soo Hyun, my trainee.” Soo Hyun gasped and covered . She cleared and bowed to the man.

“I am so sorry. I didn’t know who you were…” The man smiled.

“It’s okay. At least I know that you’re not weak and defenseless.”

“Hahaha… right… by the way, let me redo our greeting. Hi, my name is Im Soo Hyun and I am glad to have a professional like you as my tutor.” The man took Soo Hyun’s offered hand.

“It’s very nice to meet you. I’m Cho Kyu Hyun, you’re tutor for the next six months until you are ready to prove your skills to our CEO.” Soo Hyun was shocked upon hearing the name.

[Cho Kyu Hyun?! It’s not possible.”]

“What’s wrong? You look like you saw a ghost. Am I that handsome?” Soo Hyun choked out a laugh.

“No. It’s just that… perhaps… no, forget it. It’s nothing. So, Mr. Cho, hand me down your wonderful skills.” Kyu Hyun smiled as he led them to a table to have some coffee and talk.

[She’s a very charming girl. She has much potential in this industry. But I can’t help but to feel as though I’ve seen her before.] The two drank their coffee as Kyu Hyun gave her some hints on how to do her first presentation, which was in a week. After going over her piece for an hour, Kyu Hyun then explained about the school that Soo Hyun was going to attend. Another hour passed as they stood up to leave.

“Thank you very much for your help today Mr. Cho.”

“Just call me Kyu Hyun. We’re the same age, so it’s a bit weird for me if you call me Mister. I feel like an old man.” Soo Hyun giggled.

“Araso… Kyu Hyun it is then.” All of a sudden, in that moment, Soo Hyun’s stomach began to make noises.

“Aish…” She lightly patted her stomach, leading Kyu Hyun to laugh.

“Where were my manners. I went into professional mode and forget to be a gentleman. Would you like to go out to dinner with me, Soo Hyun? Or should I ask your stomach that?” Soo Hyun smiled.

“Thank you for the offer, but I’d rather like a home cooked meal right now. I’ve had too much plane food and looking at restaurant food won’t help me.”

“Then can I invite you to my place for a meal, as you just arrived and probably have nothing in your apartment.” Soo Hyun thought about it for a moment.

“You’re right… I’m going to be busy tomorrow. Okay, to your place then. I’m starving, so make sure it’s a big meal.” Kyu Hyun laughed.

[It’s nice to finally meet a girl that doesn’t try to impress me.] As they were driving to Kyu Hyun’s apartment, they talked more about each other’s past, but neither mentioned the one memory that would’ve probably destroyed their relationship right at the moment, despite only meeting for the first time, or so they believed.

The dinner was only the start of the spark of Kyu Hyun’s feelings. Everyday he was with her, his heart felt like it was fluttering. He was determined to make her the best of the five competitors just so she could win and be a permanent employee of his company. He had to admit… he needed to see her everyday. She was the sunshine in his life.

When had has his life become so dark? The day he told off that innocent girl, all because his best friend liked her. Had he known that his best friend was going to turn into a jerk as he got older, Kyu Hyun would’ve swept that innocent girl away. He had never had to be so evil to someone ever in his life. Everyday he regretted it and every night he would buy himself the box of chocolate that she had tried to give to him so many times. He had thought that he wouldn’t be able to accept another person but her, but Soo Hyun proved him wrong.

“Why do I like her so much?”

[Because she reminds you so much of that girl you demonically destroyed.]

“It seems so.”

Plans had changed, due to the company’s urgent need of an employee, therefore, the competition had been cut to five months, and the last day of the competition had arrived. Kyu Hyun tried to prepare Soo Hyun as much as he could for the final competition.

“Smile. Be persuasive. Be your item.”

“Okay, Mr. Cho.”

“Yah, I already told you not call me that.”

“Well you seem so much like my teacher right now than my friend.” Kyu Hyun smiled.

“Is that so?” Someone came out into the hall.

“Final contestant Im Soo Hyun, it is your turn now.” Kyu Hyun hugged Soo Hyun as he wished her luck. When the contact was made, Soo Hyun knew that her feelings for the guy had come back. And this time, with an even stronger hold on her heart. She pushed her feelings aside for the moment to focus on the competition.

“Thanks. I’ll see you afterwards then?”

“Yes. Hwaiting!” Soo Hyun smiled before entering the room where her future lay.

Hours had passed as the judges deliberated. To everyone’s relief, they finally came out.

“After a long deliberation, our decision has been made. Each contestant was unique in their own way, and had much potential with them. But only one of you stood out as the one who will be able to handle the pressure that Seoul International Business puts upon their employees. Your tutor has been notified and will let you know our results. Thank you for your participation and time and we hope you the best for your futures.” The judges left the company.

“Why couldn’t they just tell us?!” Soo Hyun pouted all the way to the entrance. The feeling of nervousness remained in the pit of her stomach. Waiting for her was Kyu Hyun. She quickly ran up to him.

“Did I win?” Kyu Hyun just smiled.

“Let’s go get some dinner first.”

“Yah! Do you know how anxious I am feeling right now?!”

“Yes, I know. I was in your position once. Come no.” Soo Hyun frowned, but none the less followed Kyu Hyun.

It was no dinner that they were going to have though. Instead, Kyu Hyun brought her to the beach where the view was glorious.

“Yah, I thought we were going to eat.”

“You can’t seriously be hungry with all the food that was provided during the competition.” Soo Hyun thought about it and laughed.

“You’re right. Not unless I’m looking to gain some weight. But what are we doing here.”

“I don’t know. I just thought that this would be the perfect place.”

“Perfect place for what?”

“To tell you that you won the competition.”

“Haha. That’s nice of you. At least I gave it my all, right?” Kyu Hyun burst out laughing.

“Pabo… did you not hear me? I said you won the competition.” Soo Hyun turned towards him, overwhelmed with shock. She soon began jumping up and down and shouting with joy.

“I can’t believe I won! Why did you have to say it so emotionless like that?! I nearly cried.”

“I like messing around with you.” Soon there was silence as Soo Hyun tried to let her feelings sink in.

“I also like being with you.” Soo Hyun smiled at Kyu Hyun.

“That was a good thing, as the best tutor just helped earn me a spot in one of the best business companies in the world.”

“I like you.”

“I like you too.”

“Will you be my girlfriend?” Soo Hyun swung around to face Kyu Hyun.

“What?”

“Will you be my girlfriend?” Soo Hyun didn’t hesitate to answer.

“No.” Kyu Hyun was hurt with the answer.

“Why?”

“Because… I have my reasons.”

“If you’re going to reject me, I should at least have the right to know why. Then I won’t be stuck wondering about it.” Soo Hyun looked up at Kyu Hyun as she tried to hold back her tears.

“Follow me.” She began to walk aimlessly down the streets. Ignoring her surroundings. Kyu Hyun began to worry, but didn’t’ stop her. But there was something about the atmosphere that made him feel shattered on the inside. What really confused him though was when she stopped in front of his elementary school.

“Do you know that this place holds a lot of painful memories for me?” Kyu Hyun looked at Soo Hyun, but returned his gaze to the school.

“I didn’t know that you went to this school.” Soo Hyun let out a chuckle.

“Of course you wouldn’t remember me. You specifically let me know that you wanted nothing to do with me.” Those words took something out of Kyu Hyun.

[I knew you seemed familiar.]

“Ten years ago, a girl told me that she was moving away and confessed to me that she liked me.” Silent tears began to fall as he didn’t know why fate was ruining his life.

“But I pushed her away because my best friend liked her. That night, I cried and cried and till now I still silently shed tears for her as I regret my actions. If I had known, I would’ve said yes to her. If I had known that my best friend was going to be a jerk, I would’ve told her I liked her too.” Kyu Hyun turned to face Soo Hyun.

“Im Soo Hyun… I’m so sorry. All the lies that I had to tell you, all the pain that I put you through. And you were only a little girl then, yet it seems as though you’ve carried the pain on with you and hurts me to know that. Will you forgive me and accept me for who I am now?” Kyu Hyun took Soo Hyun’s hands in his.

“I will never push you aside again.” All of a sudden, it began to rain heavily. Soo Hyun was thankful as it blended her tears.

“No. I will never forgive you. I never can. You broke my heart, you shattered my trust and beliefs. You will only cause me more pain in the future. I told myself that I didn’t need a man, and I still don’t. I have to go.” Soo Hyun yanked her hands out of Kyu Hyun’s and dashed down the streets to her apartment.

[Why?! Why did this have to happen?!]

A few weeks passed, and Soo Hyun saw no sight of Kyu Hyun. After finding out that he hadn’t been to work for almost a month, she went up to his secretary.

“Ahh… Mr. Cho has been out sick lately. Do you know anything about this ma’am? I’m beginning to worry as he has never been like this before.”

“I’m sorry, but I don’t. Thank you for letting me know though.” Soo Hyun went outside and called Kyu Hyun.

“Hello?” His weak voice nearly made Soo Hyun run to his side.

“Yah, where are you?” Kyu Hyun weakly chuckled.

“At home silly.”

“Why?”

“I’m not feeling too well.”

“Have you been to the hospital?”

“No. I don’t want to go there.”

“Why? Your health is important you know, and you can’t afford to lose your job.”

“It’s what I owe.”

“Owe? I don’t understand. What do you mean?”

“It’s what I owe you.”

“You don’t owe me anything.”

“All the pain… I’m sorry…” All of a sudden, Soo Hyun heard a thud. She hung up and ran to Kyu Hyun’s place. She banged on the door, but no one answered. To her amazement, the door was unlocked. She opened it to see an unconscious Kyu Hyun on the floor.

“Yah!” She ran to his side and lifted him into her lap.

“Yah! Kyu Hyun-ah! Wake up! Cho Kyu Hyun!” She checked for his breathing and then dialed for an ambulance.

When Kyu Hyun woke up, he realized that he wasn’t at home, but in the hospital. He tried to sit up, but he was immediately hit with pain.

“Ah!”

“Are you okay?” That angelic voice was all he needed to hear before falling back into a deep sleep.

The next time he woke up, he felt a bit better. He slowly sat up and looked around the room to find himself alone. But not for long as the door opened. He strained to see who it was and was immediately shocked when he saw Soo Hyun.

“What are you doing here?”

“If it hadn’t been for me, you would’ve died.” Kyu Hyun chuckled.

“I probably looked like a fool, huh?” Soo Hyun smiled.

“I was mad at you for doing it, though I understand why. I should’ve just forgiven you from the beginning instead of being stubborn.” Kyu Hyun smiled.

“That’s what I was thinking.”

“Yah! Do you want me to leave again?”

“No. I was just joking. I’m glad that I’m forgiven now.”

“Do you want to go out for a walk?”

“That would be nice.”

Soo Hyun strolled Kyu Hyun out in his wheelchair. With permission from the doctor, they went out to the gardens.

“This feels nice. It’s been so long since I’ve been out in the sun.”

“You didn’t lock yourself in your apartment for that whole month, did you?”

“Uhh… no.” Soo Hyun smiled.

“Aigoo. You’re so dramatic.” They sat on a bench under the tree. There was silence.

“No talking?”

“There’s nothing that I have to say.”

“Kyu Hyun-shi…”

“Hmm?”

“I like you.” He looked at Soo Hyun and smiled.

“I like you too.”

“I love you…” He couldn’t help but smile bigger.

“You’re not trying to be mean to me are you?” Soo Hyun set her hands on the sides of his face.

“I’m done being mean to you until we start dating.” Kyu Hyun leaned in for a kiss.

“And that starts now…” He pressed his lips to Soo Hyun’s.

“I love you, Im Soo Hyun. And I hope that we stay together forever.”