Love Competition Part 2

Writers Strike VST One shot collection

 

Before Seri could speak, Yuri did so. 

“What did Keito say to you yesterday, Seri?”

“Yuri, I really don’t think that it’s any of your business.” 

“You’re right about that. I shouldn’t have asked to begin with. But I hope you know that what is going on with Keito will forever change the three of ours friendship.” Seri looked at Yuri with a smile.

“Why, jealous now?” 

“Yeah, I am. That’s why I said our friendship was going to change. Saito Serenity, I like you too. But unlike Keito, I know you don’t want a sweet guy. And if you do, then I must really not have known you as well as I thought I did.” With that being said, Yuri left. Serenity just blindly stared through the gate. And then a familiar face popped up.

“Yoohoo! Anybody home?” Serenity blinked, coming back to reality. At first confusion was written all over her face before everything clicked, leading to a big smile. 

“RYOSUKE!” She immediately hugged him.

“Boy, am I glad you’re back! Just in time too! My life has just taken a fall for the worst.” 

“Oh boy. Dear cousin, please no more girl talk. I just barely escaped all my sisters.”

“Please Ryosuke! Just listen, okay? I’m really going to die right now.” Ryosuke looked at his cousin before releasing a sigh. 

“I guess…” Seri immediately smiled as she dragged Ryosuke into the house.

“Mom! I’m home!” 

“Hi honey! At the Saito’s again, I see. I can smell Mama Saito’s soup.” Yuri smiled.

“I knew you’d want some.” 

“I really need to get the recipe for this dish.” Yuri set his bag down so he could hang his jacket.

“Why don’t you just go and ask Mama Saito for the recipe?” 

“You’re right. I just haven’t had time. But I also haven’t been able to visit her either. I’m such a bad friend. You know what? I’ll go first thing tomorrow.” Yuri only smiled and shook his head at his mom. Sometimes his mom could act even more childish than her own son.

“Where’s dad?” 

“Another late night at the office dear.”

Mr. Chinen was rushing to file the last of his papers so he could get home in time for dinner with his wife. He had been neglecting his family for quite some time and tonight was extremely special. It was his 20th wedding anniversary. Missing it would cause so much heartbreak to his wife. All of a sudden, there was a knock on his office door. 

“If it’s more papers, bring it tomorrow! I’m going home!” In popped Mr. Saito’s face.

“No papers. Just an old friend.” 

“Papa Saito! We work in the same office, yet I never seem to see you at all.” Deciding to forget the paperwork and delay it until tomorrow, Mr. Chinen shut off his computer and packed up to leave.

“Why in a rush?” 

“It’s my wedding anniversary and for the sake of my marriage, I cannot miss it.” Mr. Saito laughed.

“I see what you mean. Shall we leave together?” Mr. Chinen agreed and locked up the offie.
“So, I heard from Seri that Yuri failed his class again.” 

“Yes, he did. But it’s what happens when I let him have so much free time. He’s so intent on finding a true love, he forgets about his education.”

“True love? He’s too young for that.”

“I agree, but I can’t stop him. I’m just glad that he still pays enough attention to his grades to know that he should fix them up immediately. I can’t ever stay mad at that kid for long.” Mr. Saito smiled.

“I agree. I’m blessed to have met your family. Life without Yuri would not be the same.” 

“Same here goes for Seri. She’s the only one who keeps him on a straight path. How is she doing anyway?”

“Good? We just had dinner with your son before I decided to come check in on the office and their friendship is still the same as it was ten years ago. Ryosuke also came to visit, or more like stay since he’s here studying abroad.” 

“Ahh… must be nice to see your sister’s kid again.”

“It’s always nice when we have a family reunion.” 

“Speaking of reunion, Papa Saito, should we have a neighborly reunion as well? I haven’t seen Seri in awhile, and I regret it since you see so much of my son.”

“Oh, please. Don’t regret it. But I would like that neighborly reunion. Whenever you have time, call me.” The bus came to a stop.

“I sure will. Then, I guess I’ll be seeing you later, Papa Saito.” Mr. Saito laughed at the Yuri’s nickname for him that stuck. 

“Indeed so, Chinen.”

“Wow, girl, hectic.” Seri paced back and forth in her room. 

“I know right?! All I wanted were friends, and now I have to crazy guy friends who don’t know what they’re talking about.”

“Seri, didn’t you see this coming? They’re two ‘straight’ guys who are your best friends. Odds were bound for one or both of them to fall for you.” 

“But I don’t want them to be ‘in love’ with me. Urgh! This is so frustrating! I could punch that Chinen Yuri right now!”

“Why only Chinen?” 

“Because! I’ve known him ever since we were children, so I’m more comfortable with treating him as my punching bag.”

“Then you obviously like Keito more since you refuse to hit him.” Seri gasped at the accusation. 

“I do not! How could you say something like that?!”

“Then you like Yuri, since you always hit him and can only mention his name whenever we talk about these two.” Again, another gasp from Seri. 

“I do not!” But her blushing face said otherwise, and Ryosuke caught onto it.

“Wow, you really do like Yuri. Why don’t you tell him and solve this problem of yours faster?” 

“Because, Yamada Ryosuke, dear cousin, I DO NOT LIKE CHINEN YURI!” Ryosuke only tsked in response.

“See, strong denial means strong feelings.” 

“You were no help at all. Go sleep in the guest room.”

“Thank goodness! I’m on jet lag right now, Seri. You don’t know how tired I am.” 

“Glad to know you care about my problems.” Ryosuke smiled.

“Glad to have helped you, dear cousin.” Ryosuke gathered his things and went down the hall, closing the door behind him. Seri went to go lay down on her bed. 

[Why is that I am always only talking about Yuri? Why do I always only hit Yuri? Why the hell am I thinking about Yuri right now?!]

“Because you like him…” The words came out before Seri could even comprehend them, which shocked her. She immediately mentally kicked herself. 

“Of course I like him. Who wouldn’t want a friend like Yuri? Hahahaha.” Even she began to recognize her own sarcasm, making her more frustrated, and harder for her to fall asleep that night.

Mrs. Saito had just finished reading her favorite book that morning when the doorbell rang. Surprised at the surprise guest, she went to open the door and nearly squealed with joy upon seeing who it was. 

“Chinen?!”

“Mama Saito!” Hearing the familiar nickname just made the moment all that much better. 

“It’s been so long!”

“Indeed it has! Thanks to your soup that Yuri brought home last night, everything turned out to be a happy ending for me." 

“Come in! We have so much to talk about.” The ladies took their seat in the living room.

“So, last night was my 20th wedding anniversary, but it started to look as though Chinen was going to be spending another late night at the office. But thanks to your husband that went in to distract him, Chinen came back just in time for us to spend our anniversary together. He had even pre-arranged restaurant reservations for us and tickets to a ballet show, which is my all-time favorite pass-time.” 

“I see. You must be very happy.”

“Indeed I am. But I must say, I came here with another intention. May you please, please, please teach me how to make your grand soup?” Mrs. Saito laughed.

“It is no grand soup, but nonetheless, I would be happy to show you. Just at that moment, Seri walked in. 

“I’m home!” Seeing Mrs. Chinen, Seri bounded over to give her a hug.

“Mama Chinen! It’s been so long!” Mrs. Chinen returned the hug with a laugh. 

“I’m so glad that your parents don’t call us that, yet allow us to call them Mama and Papa Saito.”

“It would make sense since we are the older ones.” 

“Mom, you still look like you’re 21. Don’t complain.” The three ladies laughed.

“Perhaps I should also ask for your anti-aging cream." 

“Come on, Mrs. Chinen. To the kitchen if we’re to teach you this recipe.”

“Alright. I’ll see you later then, okay, Seri?” 

“Yes, Mama Chinen.” With a final squeeze, Seri went up to her room and Mrs. Chinen followed Mrs. Saito into the kitchen.

A couple of hours passed and the soup was finally done. The two ladies were at the sink cleaning up the dishes together.  

“Thank you so much for teaching me the recipe, Mama Saito.”

“No problem. Now you can make it for Yuri too.” 

“Oh, I will. I always feel so bad towards him. I feel like I’ve been neglecting him so much. I’m glad he still has you and Papa Saito to come to when he feels lonely.”

“He is always welcome in our home.” 

“If only he would tell Seri how he feels.” Mrs. Saito immediately froze.

“Excuse me?” Realizing her mistake, Mrs. Chinen tried to take it back. 

“Well, you see, it was a few years ago. He was still too young. That’s why he’s been dating all these girls…” Mrs. Saito immediately hugged Mrs. Chinen.

“Do you know what this means, Mrs. Chinen?” 

“I… don’t.” Mrs. Saito held Mrs. Chinen at arm’s length.

“We could become in-laws!” Mrs. Chinen let the thought process in her mind before she, too, became filled with excitement. 

“That’s right!” The two ladies jumped up and down in the kitchen, hugging each other and shouting with joy.

“Mom? What are you and Mama Saito doing?” The two ladies immediately pulled apart, afraid to reveal their secret to Yuri. 

“Oh, nothing. It’s just that my soup was a success.”

“Great! Now I can have my favorite dish all the time!” The two ladies smiled as their secret remained unknown. Mrs. Chinen thanked Mrs. Saito for the recipe and joined her son to go home. 

That night, Mrs. Saito went up to Seri’s room, only to find her daughter diligently working on her school work.

“Dear, can you spare a moment?” Immediately, the pencil went down and Mrs. Saito was met with a smiling Seri. 

“Anything for Mom.” Mrs. Saito smiled as she joined her daughter on the floor.

“I have a quick question.” 

“Shoot away.”

“What are your feelings towards Chinen Yuri?” The question totally threw Seri off. 

“M-my feelings?” Seri let out a small, albeit sarcastic, laugh.

“What are you talking about mom?” 

“Dear, are you okay? Your face is all red.” Again, she became filled with anger.

“Why is it that it’s always like this?” 

“What are you talking about, dear?”

“Nothing mom. My feelings towards Yuri? The same as my feelings towards Keito.” 

“I see. I was just curious. Continue to work hard, dear.” Mrs. Saito left the room.

The following day, during lunch break, Seri and Ryosuke sat outside, where Ryosuke listened to Seri complain. 

“I can’t believe my mom is starting to ask me too, now!” Ryosuke was still trying to recover from his laughing.

“Seri, you might as well admit that you have to pick one of the two. Yuri was right when he said that the friendship between you three would change.” 

“I hate it when that kid is right.”

“Now you refuse to say his name?" 

From a distance, Keito sat watching the two, feeling jealousy rise up in him.

“What are you doing?” 

“Yuri, you’re enough competition. Now new guy shows up, and he’s taking all of Seri’s attention.” Yuri crouched next to Keito to spy as well, and he too, became filled with jealousy.

“He has no right!” 

“Agreed!” Keito stood up to go confront the two. Seeing him, Yuri went up to join him.

“Hey! Love birds!” Hearing the all too familiar voice, Seri looked up and groaned with frustration. Seeing her reaction, Ryosuke nearly wanted to laugh. 

[These two idiots. Can’t they see the similarities?] And Ryosuke’s silent question was answered with a weird glance from Yuri.

[Those two look like they could be siblings… perhaps… Ryosuke?] Yuri tried hard not to smile at his realization. Rather, he waited to see how Keito would handle the situation. 

“New kid. This girl already has two of us after her. She doesn’t need a third.” Ryosuke stood up to look straight into Keito’s eyes.

“Well, looks like I’ve had more progress with her than either the two of you.” Yuri didn’t say anything. And seeing that he wasn’t, Seri was starting to become angered. 

“URGH! You two idiots!” Ryosuke went up to Seri and kissed her cheeks.

“If you have any complaints about these two idiots, feel free to call me.” 

“Hey! How could you kiss her like that?!”

“Because I can.” Ryosuke walked past Keito. And stared at Yuri. 

“What? Nothing from you?” Yuri smiled back at Ryosuke.

“Nope. I like competition.” Realizing that Yuri had figured out the truth, Ryosuke laughed and walked off. 

“That stupid idiot.”

“Who, me?” 

“You too, Keito. And you, Yuri.”

“What? I didn’t even say anything!” 

“Exactly why I’m mad at you! You two are driving me crazy!” Seri stormed off. But the words that came out of Seri’s mouth made perfect sense to Keito. He had already known he wouldn’t win this competition against Yuri, but he didn’t want to go down with a fight.

“Wait, Seri! Let’s talk!” Yuri didn’t bother to stop Keito. 

[I at least have to let him salvage a friendship with her.] Yuri just watched Keito chase after Seri.

“Seri!” 

“Go away, Keito!”

“Seri, this has nothing to do with me liking you!” Seri turned around with anger. 

“Then what, Keito?! What is this about?” Keito walked up to Seri, rubbing the back of his head from nervousness, and gave Seri a lop-sided smile.

“I just wanted to say I’m sorry that I’ve made you so frustrated and that I think I’ve already lost this competition." 

“Keito, what are you talking about?”

“I mean to tell you that you like Chinen Yuri, and you shouldn’t deny it anymore.” 

“Not you too, Okamoto Keito.”

“Seri, you have always been the last to accept the obvious. But you should be the first to accept this obvious truth. I really, really like you and have since I first met you because you just seemed so different and like a breath of fresh air from all those other girls. But I knew I had already lost to Chinen when he said to me that he knew you better than anyone else. But I didn’t want to accept it then, and still don’t now, but I have to.” 

“Keito, you’re not making any sense.”

“Should I spell it out for you then, Saito Serenity? You L I K E Chinen Yuri.” No response this time as Seri let those words sink in. 

“Gosh, how I hate to be doing this for that jerk. But if I want to be a good friend, then it’s the right thing to do.”

“Keito…” 

“Seri, you’d be best off if you stop denying it.”

“I don’t like Chinen Yuri.” 

“She’s right, you know, Keito.” The two turned towards Yuri.

“Seri has always been right, and always will be.” Yuri walked past the two of them. 

“Yuri…”

“Bye.” 

[His one syllable conversations.] Keito looked at Seri and shook his head.

“It’s not too late to accept it.” 

“Shut up, Keito.” Keito went up to Seri and hugged her.

“I’ll always be a friend, Seri. And right now, I say you shouldn’t let Yuri go. And the fact that I’m saying this, even when I like you myself, has got to show how good of a friend I am to the both of you.” 

“I don’t like him, Keito.”

“Then it’s going to be a long night for you Seri.” 

That night was the Saito and Chinen reunion. Except Yuri didn’t show.

“Seri is moping around in her room too. I really don’t know what’s wrong with these children.” 

“They’re teenagers. It’s just sad that they can’t get happy for their old people.” The parents laughed as they continued to set up for the reunion.

Seri sat, holding her knees to her chest and looking at her phone. 

[No calls from him yet.] Releasing a sigh, she let herself fall backwards. All of a sudden, there was a knock on her bedroom door.

“Come in.” Seri hadn’t expected to see Keito. 

“What are you doing here?”

“Still mad that I speak the truth about your feelings for Yuri.” 

“Keito, I’m really not in the mood.”

“Why are you so against Yuri?” 

“Because he has always been a childhood friend to me. I just can’t see him as more than that.”

“Seri, I already told you yesterday why he’s perfect for you, but you obviously didn’t even let it into your head. So I’ll say it again. He knows you best. I don’t know what he means by that, but it’s kind of obvious that you’ve told him everything. He even figured out that Ryosuke was your cousin.” 

“That’s because I’ve told Yuri about Ryosuke before.”

“And why didn’t you tell me?” 

“Because…” No actual response from Seri on that question.

“And I doubt that Yuri has ever seen Ryosuke before? So the fact that he was able to connect the two of you should say something about how much he knows about you.” 

“Ryosuke and I do look alike.” Keito let a sigh out as he sat next to Seri.

“What are you doing here anyway?” 

“Your parents invited me. Don’t try to change the subject. Evidence part two.”

“Are you trying to investigate me?” 

“Be quiet. Only I get to ask the questions here.” Seri could only stare in disbelief at Keito, the guy who claimed to have liked her only just a few weeks ago.

“Why do you always only punch Yuri? Don’t you think I would want a couple of punches from you? It’s like you’re giving Yuri special treatment.” 

“You want to be punched?”

“Using playful violence means that you like someone." 

“I have never used playful violence on Yuri.”

“I beg to differ. You and Yuri are always laughing afterwards, and you always give him an apologetic look.” 

“I do.”

“Evidence number three. You two are childhood friends, so it’s only natural that you two would fall in love with each other.” 

“I am not in love with Chinen Yuri, for the millionth time.”

“Again, I beg to differ. Serenity, I never knew that you didn’t like sweet guys. I never knew that you couldn’t cook to save a life. I never knew that you were adopted. I never knew that you were abandoned by your birth parents. I never knew how dark and horrid your past was. And I never cared to ask about it and try to make things so much brighter for you now. Unlike Yuri, who has known all these things and always puts a smile on your face, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not. Now, I’m going to go downstairs and expect you to acknowledge that you’re in love with Chinen Yuri so I don’t feel so bad about giving up my chase after you.” And with that, Keito left Seri’s room. 

Seri just stared after Keito, even after he had long been gone. Rubbing her head, she let herself fall back. However, she did let Keito’s words sink in. Heaving a stressed sigh, Seri got off her bed and opened her laptop to see if Yuri had posted anything on his facebook.

Her mind went blank as time seemed to stand still. There on her display screen was Yuri, with his adorable wink and in the corner, the words ~ I love Saito Seri! ~ Seri started off with a smile, then began to laugh. 

“I’m so stupid.” She closed her laptop, threw on her jacket and ran downstairs.

“Where are you going dear?”“To get that jerk Yuri to come over to this reunion.” Mrs. Saito laughed.

“Okay. He always says yes to you anyway.” So many things were beginning to make Seri even more appreciative of having a boyfriend like Yuri, even though he didn’t know that he was going to be her boyfriend yet. She dashed down the street to the Chinen residence. The moment she reached the gate, she rung the doorbell like crazy.

“Chinen Yuri! Hurry up and open this door!” Sure enough, a sleepy-eyed Yuri opened the door.

“What do you want? Do you know how tired I am from all this studying?”

“And you can’t even come to your girlfriend’s house for a reunion party and to earn bonus points with her parents?”

“Saito Serenity, what the hell are you talking about? I just woke up here and I’m kind of lost. Could you please –“ Yuri was cut off by a kiss from Seri, leaving him with his eyes opened wide. Seri pulled back, although her hands remained on his shoulders.

“I really, really like you Chinen Yuri. And you’re going to be my boyfriend whether you want to or not.” Letting everything process, Yuri laughed as he kissed Seri again.

“Seri has always been right.” Holding hands, the two returned to the Saito residence for their reunion party.