Dragon Girl Part 2

Writers Strike VST One shot collection

 

“N-Neh?! No… no… I don’t. What makes you think that?”

 

“Well I’ve seen a girl around your house before.” Hee Rim let out a fake laugh.

 

“You must be seeing things, Ho Won shi…”

 

“Is that so?” Hee Rim began to play with her fingers. Noticing it, Ho Won decided that it was time to talk to his parents.

 

“I’m sorry that I have to ask you to leave Hee Rim, but I need to discuss something with my parents.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“I think that my private matters should remain mine.”

 

“Ah… yes. Well, I’ll be going now.” As soon as Hee Rim was out of that house, she stormed over to her house. As soon as she got inside, she didn’t see her parents around anywhere. She threw her bag on the ground, dashed over to the kitchen, picked up a knife and ran up to Rena’s room.

 

“How dare you?!” Rena turned from the boarded window to see who had interrupted her thoughts.

 

“What? Are you going to kill me now?”

 

“You embarrassed me! Your existence was supposed to remain unknown! How dare you show yourself! And of all people, it had to be my future husband!”

 

“Future husband? What, was there a marriage proposal already?”

 

“N-Not yet, but it’s coming. All you have to do, is disappear.”

 

“Go ahead and kill me. You guys have taken everything away from me. You have kept me away from life. If I’m going to be a prisoner forever, there really is no point in me living anymore.”

 

“How dare you talk to me like that?!” But before Hee Rim could reach Rena, her parents stopped her.

 

“STOP! You cannot kill her!”

 

“Just let her die! All she ever does is ruin all our plans for a better future!”

 

“Neh! Just kill me! You guys have your future planned while mine has been taken away!”

 

“Shut up! Hee Rim, listen to Uppa. You cannot kill her despite whatever she has done to you. If she dies, our family will be cursed and you will not be marrying Ho Won if people find out you are a murderer.” Hee Rim closed her eyes, took a few calming breaths, and then handed the knife to her father.

 

“You’re right. Once I’m married to Ho Won, I will no longer have to deal with her. Just you and Umma.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You can’t possibly expect to still live with me or for me to visit you when I’m married to Ho Won, do you?” Mr. Choi was bursting with anger.

 

“I am your father and you will do as I say! Now if I kill you, our family will not be cursed. You will do better to know your place, Miss.” Seeing her father’s reaction, Hee Rim quickly backed down.

 

“Neh Uppa.”

 

“Now you and your mother will go downstairs.” He shoved the knife towards his wife.

 

“And take this with you. You will do better to keep an eye on your daughter before she does anything rash.”

 

“Yes, dear. Come on Hee Rim.” Mrs. Choi ushered Hee Rim out of the room. When they were gone, Mr. Choi turned towards Rena.

 

“And you. Remain quiet and hidden like it has always been. Our life is on the edge now thanks to your mess up.” Mr. Choi left the room, slamming the door shut behind him. When she was alone, Rena just slouched against the boarded up window.

 

[My life is over.]

 

“Umma, Uppa… I have decided that I will indeed be marrying Miss Choi Hee Rim.”

 

“Really?! Oh, great-grandfather’s wish is finally going to come true.”

 

“I guess congratulations should be given then.” Upon hearing the unexpected voice, Ho Won turned towards the entrance. Seeing his fortune teller, he bowed in greeting.

 

“Excuse me, but I’d like a private word with your son.” Ho Won excused himself from his parents and joined his fortune teller in the living room.

 

“I’ve seen you’ve taken my advice.”

 

“I did, but you seem intent on making me admit that I am wrong.”

 

“I cannot say you are right or wrong, for that isn’t the way to find her.”

 

“You and Uppa have told me multiple times that in order to find her, I have to follow my heart, and that’s exactly what I’m doing.”

 

“Is that so? Then you’re telling me that you love this girl? That when you first saw her, you knew that she was the girl for you.”

 

“I…”

 

“Well, let me know when the wedding is, and I will be sure to attend.”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

After the fortune teller paid his respects to Mr. Lee, he left, leaving a very confused Ho Won to sit in his room, pondering the fortune teller’s last words.

 

~  F  L  A  S  H  B  A  C  K  ~

 

“Is that so? Then you’re telling me that you love this girl? That when you first saw her, you knew that she was the girl for you.”

 

~  E  N  D  ~

 

“Something must be wrong here.” Ho Won thought some more on the topic, but shook his head to dismiss it.

 

“I’m making the right decision. Hee Rim has shown us that she has every aspect of being the dragon girl.”

 

Weeks had passed since Ho Won’s decision to marry Hee Rim, although no one but the Lee’s knew of the decision. Either ways, the rumors were going around.

 

Hee Rim dashed up the stairs to Rena’s room.

 

“Have you heard the rumors, dear sister? Oh, what am I talking about. Of course not!” Hee Rim evilly laughed.

 

“You can’t go outside. And you nearly brought us down with your stupid window. I will not allow for you to embarrass me any longer, do you understand? I am going to become the bride of Lee Ho Won, and nothing will take that away from me.” With a disgusted look, Hee Rim her heel and left, slamming the door behind her.

 

When she was alone, Rena buried her face in her hands and let all her emotion out.

 

[This is it. I am forever a prisoner. It isn’t fair. What did I do to deserve this?!]

 

Ho Won was fixing his shirt for his 21st birthday party when his father entered his room. Upon seeing a healthy looking father, Ho Won couldn’t help but smile.

 

“Uppa, you’re looking better by the hour.”

 

“Thank you, son.”

 

“So what brings you here.”

 

“Hee Rim shi…”

 

“Ah, your future daughter-in-law.” Mr. Lee examined his son’s expression upon the mention of Hee Rim, and he realized that something was wrong.

 

“Hoya, are you sure about this? I know that Hee Rim has shown every aspect of being the dragon girl, but you are showing signs that she isn’t the one.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Throughout this whole thing, there was only one thing I asked of you and that was to follow your heart. That is the only true way of finding the dragon girl.”

 

[Follow my heart?] Immediately, thoughts of Rena came to Ho Won’s mind. He smiled at the thoughts.

 

“Will you support me in all my decisions, Uppa?”

 

“You know I would, Hoya.”

 

“Then you’ll support me in my marriage?”

 

“Neh, if you see fit that she’s the girl.”

 

“I have something to do, Uppa. Can you welcome the guests for me?”

 

“Of course. The fortune teller is waiting for you as well. Will you meet him?”

 

“Neh, but can you send him up here?”

 

“Will do. Good luck to you, Hoya.” Ho Won smiled at his father as he left.

 

The Choi’s were all ready to leave. Mr. Choi went up to Rena’s room.

 

“You will remain here and not cause us any trouble, as you have already done enough damage. Our future is just moments away, and I will not allow you to take that away from us.”

 

“But you find it right to take mine away?”

 

“You will be wise to shut that trap of yours, young lady.” With that being said, Mr. Choi joined his wife and daughter in the entrance way as they left for the Lee’s.

 

[I don’t care anymore. You all are finally going to reach your happiness, it’s time I get mine.] As soon as Rena heard the front door close, she immediately started packing what little items she possessed.

 

“We welcome you to our son’s 21st birthday party! Please enjoy yourselves! Our son is still getting ready, but he will be down to meet you all soon! Thank you for coming!”

 

Hee Rim turned towards her mother and father.

 

“Do you think he’ll announce our engagement here?”

 

“We will have to wait. He hasn’t exactly given us any sign that there will be an engagement.”

 

“But there are rumors about it already! That has to be a sign!”

 

“Patience, girl! We did not come this far to throw it all away with your impatience and attitude.”

 

“Neh, Uppa.”

 

Meanwhile, Ho Won awaited the fortune teller.

 

~  F  L  A  S  H  B  A  C  K  ~

 

“She is seen as the daughter of Mr. Choi…”

 

“Follow your heart, and she will be yours.”

 

“All I can tell you, my dear boy, is to think carefully about the one clue I gave and can only give you…”

 

“But most importantly, please follow your heart.”

 

~  E  N  D  ~

 

[How could I have been so blind?! The girl I was looking for the whole time for was Rena! She may not be Mr. Choi’s daughter, but she is seen as his, despite no one knowing about her. And that medicine? It has to be her! Only she would have enough time to come up with a cure like that! And the most obvious of all, I love her. That should’ve been enough for me to know that she’s the dragon girl.] There was a knock on the door.

 

“Come in, please.”

 

“Your father said you wanted to see me.” Upon seeing the fortune teller, Ho Won immediately stood up.

 

“Neh. You were right. I couldn’t say that Hee Rim was the one for me because I had already found her. Choi Rena is the dragon girl, isn’t she? She may not be the daughter of Mr. Choi, but she’s seen as his since he raised her.”

 

“I cannot answer that for you, Hoya.”

 

“That’s okay, because even if she isn’t the dragon girl, I love her and I’m going to marry her.” All the fortune teller could do was smile.

 

[I have succeeded.]

 

“And just how do you plan to?”

 

“I’m going to run away with her. And to protect her, we will stay hidden.”

 

“You have done me proud, Ho Won. Indeed, Rena is the dragon girl, and you have earned the right to know for sure because I can see that you do truly love her. The promised fortune? Indeed, she did make that medicine that Hee Rim claimed she made. The promised happiness? You can see it for yourself. Look at that foolish smile on your face.” The two of them just laughed.

 

“And her wealth? Well, when I was asked to tell her fortune, the Choi’s paid me 200,000 won, of which I’m sure that Rena will gladly pay back to them. However, I have taken that money and worked very hard to give her the wealth she deserves. She is now a millionaire and will help fix this town up, of course, as you said, in secret. It will be done through your parents.” The fortune teller handed Ho Won the key to the account holding Rena’s money as well as some money.

 

“If you’re planning to run away, you will need this money. You will also need to hurry before your guests start wondering where you are and come in search of you.”

 

“Yes, sir. Thank you for all your help.”

 

“It’s the least I can do for the good your clan has done for mine. Now get going.”

 

Ho Won packed some of his items as he snuck out his window to the Choi’s residence. He quickly dashed inside and ran upstairs to Rena’s room.

 

Rena zipped up her bag. Unexpectedly, her door opened. She immediately turned around with fear.

 

“What are you doing?” Rena squinted her eyes. As soon as she saw who it was, tears threatened on the brim of her eyes.

 

“Ho Won shi?” Ho Won went up to Rena and pulled her into a hug.

 

“I’m sorry I was so blind.”

 

“I-I don’t understand.”

 

“Rena, although your parents were told that you were a curse, you were actually their greatest blessing!”

 

“What are you talking about, Ho Won?”

 

“You’re the dragon girl.”

 

“ME?! That’s impossible! Hee Rim was blessed with those traits.”

 

“For her parents. You were blessed with those traits so that I could find you.”

 

“I have no fortune, wealth and I could not bring you happiness.”

 

“Rena, you made that medicine that cured my father. That was our fortune. As for wealth, the fortune teller has saved up the money your parents paid to hear your fortune and turned you into a millionaire. But even then, if you had no fortune or wealth, I wouldn’t need it. You are my happiness. And I’d be even more happy if you would leave this town with me.” Rena just returned Ho Won’s look with a blank stare.

 

“What about your parents? You cannot possibly just leave them?”

 

“For you, I am. And they will be understanding. Besides, in order to fix this town up, I will have to stay in touch with them.” As tears fell down, Rena smiled. Ho Won went up to her and held her face in his hands as he wiped away her tears.

 

“Please tell me these are tears of joy.” Rena smiled even bigger.

 

“Of course they are. I have been locked up in here for almost 19 years now. And I’m finally leaving to start my future with the one person I love the most.” Ho Won pecked Rena’s lips.

 

“Good, because I love you too much to be able to accept a no from you on this topic. But we have to hurry before your parents and Hee Rim return.”

 

“Wait. Did the fortune teller give you some money?”

 

“Neh. Why?”

 

“Can we leave 200,000 won to pay them back? I want nothing to do with this family any longer besides to have the reside in the town that we are going to rebuild.” Ho Won smiled at Rena.

 

“You are too kind.” They left the money along with a note. When everything was done, they ran off to the country side to get married and settle down and live the life that Rena had wanted her whole life. Ho Won was willing to accept anything to be with Rena, and besides, he knew he’d love life in the country as it was time he relaxed from the harsh duties given to him, although he knew they would have to return when the time came for him to take over the town from his father.

 

Back at the Lee’s, the fortune teller had given the note to the Lee’s upon Ho Won’s request.

 

~ Uppa, Umma, I have succeeded. I have found the dragon girl and we have left this town to get married. Please understand why I am doing this. The fortune teller will give you our address and you can come visit us. But as of right now, we don’t want anyone to know that the dragon girl was all along Choi Rena, the Choi’s hidden daughter. Come visit us and we will tell you the story. But please treat the Choi’s like you always have and keep this a secret. I love you both and I have found my happiness. Your son always, Lee Hoya ~

 

Although a bit sad, the Lee’s smiled upon their son’s happiness. They went to the party room and announced to the guests that Ho Won had found the dragon girl and was going to marry her. They had already left town and were going to start their life soon. Upon hearing this, the Choi’s were immediately upset and quickly returned home before they could suffer the embarrassment. Standing at their door way was the fortune teller.

 

“I have come to say one thing, and one thing only. You had a blessing and you couldn’t appreciate it, so I took it away from you to give to someone else who would appreciate it. Don’t be sad because your fortunes have come true. Good evening now.” The fortune teller walked down their stairs and left.

 

Upon hearing the fortune teller’s words, Mr. and Mrs. Choi quickly went upstairs to find nothing and no one there. On the bed was the note that Rena left behind with 300,000 won.

 

~ I will not address you for I do not know what to call you. However, you did spend 200,000 won to know my cursed fortune and for that, I pay you back as well as a little extra for keeping me alive to live out my future away from you. I have nothing else to say to you except goodbye forever. ~

 

The Choi’s sat there, crying.

 

“Why are we such selfish people.” Hee Rim came into the room to see her parents crying.

 

“Why are you guys just sitting there?” Hee Rim looked around the room.

 

“And where is Rena?”

 

“She’s gone. She is going to become Ho Won’s wife.”

 

“What?! No! You’re lying! How could she have been the dragon girl! She had no wealth or fortune!” Mr. Choi went up to his daughter.

 

“I will not say anything since you are my fault.” He left the room without another word.

 

“Hee Rim, you will just have to accept they things are now. Fortune? Rena made that medicine you gave to Mr. Lee. Wealth? I’m sure she has it now to be able to give us back our money on top of extra. Happiness? That’s the reason why Ho Won married her. Come dear. It’s getting late and we will need to rest through all of this.”

 

“No… NO! I don’t believe you.”

 

“Your father is right. You are our fault and we will just have to learn to accept your horrible ways.” With that being said, Mrs. Choi left the room as well.

 

Hee Rim fell to her knees.

 

“That was supposed to be my happiness. My future. CHOI RENA! I WILL GET YOU!”

 

A year has passed since that dramatic night. Ho Won and Rena were extremely happy. The Lee’s were happy as well as their past great-grandfather’s wish had come true. The Choi’s had learned to improve their ways and were once again well liked throughout the town. Hee Rim had given up on finding Rena for revenge, and instead, married into a well off enough family.

 

Rena stood in her backyard looking at the setting sun. Ho Won quietly came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her.

 

“Are you happy?” Rena closed her eyes and leaned back against her husband.

 

“You know I am.” Ho Won kissed his wife’s forehead as he cuddled her closer.

 

“How lucky am I to have you? The one person we have looked generations for.” Rena smiled.

 

“I’m lucky enough to have found you otherwise I would still be trapped in that room.” Rena turned around and kissed Ho Won.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“I’m just glad that I was smart enough to realized that I love you.” Ho Won kissed her again.

 

“I do love you a lot, you know?” Rena smiled.

 

“I know. And I love you a lot too.”

 

And they lived happily ever after.