I'll Be There.

Writers Strike VST One shot collection

 

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
title: I'll Be There.
requested by: babygirlYB.
characters: Mae Jori & Dong Yongbae.
oneshot writer: iamaninjadude.
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
 
Tiffany and Sunny both grinned as they watched the helpless Mae crawl on her knees, as how they wanted her to act. A slum. "Yeah, poor girl! Do you need your book?!"
 
"Give it back, please," she softly whispered, tears rolling down on her cheeks. Sunny shook her head, still grinning and turned to the book. She ripped the cover off and the first few pages of it. Mae watched as her book get teared apart. Tiffany laughed joyfully. "Oh no, she's crying!" Tiffany sarcastically. "Poor baby, now you have to pay for your book! Oh wait, you're too poor to afford it!" Sunny and Tiffany chuckled and high-fived each other, walking away.
 
Mae quickly grabbed the book that Sunny left on the floor. They were ripped to pieces. It was the thickest and most expensive book that she borrowed from school. They were right. She was too poor to replace it. She couldn't return it like this, too. She was doomed. 
 
She continued crying. Crying is all she could do to make the pain go away. It doesn't help but it makes her feel a little better than before.
 
"Stand up." She turned around and saw the school's jock, Yongbae, standing a few steps away from her. "I said stand up!" He pulled her up then offered her his handkerchief. "Take it," he commanded her. She took it and wiped her tears off. Yongbae took the pieces of her textbook and handed her his. "Use mine, I don't take Biology anyway." He made her hold his textbook then walked away.
 
She chased after him. "Wait!" He stopped walking. She stopped running. "T-Thank you. I promise to pay you back as soon as I can."
 
"You don't have to," he replied and continued walking.
 
Mae smiled secretly to herself. She hadn't smiled in weeks.
 
-
 
"Did you finish it?!" Mae quickly nodded and handed her the essay. "Good. I better get a 100 on this; if I don't, I'll hunt you down."
 
Tiffany marched to her classroom as Mae remained sitting down at the bench of the school's garden. With the Biology book resting on her lap, she finished Sunny's homework. She made sure it was on Sunny's level, the grammar and the correct answers that she got, so she wouldn't get caught cheating for her. She wiped the sweat off her forehead and turned to her bag. There were still 6 more projects and thesis waiting for her. And she was tired. Tired of writing papers for them, she couldn't even ace her tests because of it.
 
Sometimes, she wondered if she had the strength and guts to reject them, ignore them.
 
"So, you're using my book eh?" She looked up and saw Yongbae on his lollipop, his hands on his leather jacket pockets. 
 
Mae nodded and handed it to him. "I checked with the office. You do have Biology. Take it back," she said.
 
Yongbae shook his head and sat down beside her. "You need it more than I do. Besides, I bought myself a new one." He pointed at the book. "Just make sure they can't rip it apart again. I had to visit three libraries in town looking for a copy for me, you know?" He turned to her.
 
"Sorry," she muttered.
 
"Gwenchana," he said, still looking at her. "Why do you let them hurt you anyway?"
 
She shrugged. "I-I, I know I can't fight back."
 
"So you just back down," Yongbae said, nodding. "I get it."
 
Mae shook her head. "No, you don't." She bit her lip. "I'm a loner. Nobody wants to be my friend. Why should I bother if no one would even want to speak to me?" She looked at him, controlling her tears from falling. "Can I ask you something..." He nodded. "Why are you being nice to me? If we're seen together, they'll just hurt me even more, and they'll destroy you."
 
"You're being dramatic," he smiled. "There's nothing to destroy about me, and if you're talking about my image in this school, I don't care about it."
 
"Then why?" "Why what?" "Why are you here?"
 
"I don't like how they treat you," he muttered. "And I don't like how you let them treat you like this."
 
"Why do you care?" "Why? Can't I?"
 
A tear escaped her eye. "You'll get tired of me, ditch me and hang with those popular friends of yours anyway. Don't bother making friends with me."
 
Yongbae leaned closer and wiped the tear on her cheek. "Who said I wanted to be friends?" Mae looked again at his eyes. She saw sincerity and honesty, she also saw love. "I care because I care. And if I tell you my reason, you'll just push me away." He leaned closer until their lips touched. 
 
She pulled out slowly, her eyes opened, looking at him. "I don't know if I feel the same way, Yongbae-sshi."
 
"You don't have to," he smiled softly and her hair. "I'll be there when you need me, from now on. Araso?"
 
-
 
"This is crazy, Yongbae-sshi."
 
"Well you might feel better if you hold my hand."
 
"I'm still not falling for you."
 
Yongbae turned to her and grabbed her hand tightly. "I told you, you don't have to." He pulled her to a table with a lunch tray on his other hand, his right hand not letting go of hers. Mae looked around. Of course, everyone was watching - some girls were glaring. She wished she would die then and there. He pulled her down beside him and started eating his lunch. "C'mon, they don't bite. Now eat."
 
She slowly nodded and unwrapped her sandwich. Tiffany appeared across them. "What are you doing?"
 
"Go away, Tiffany," Yongbae said. "We're eating here. You're being rude."
 
"But Yongbae oppa, you're eating with the poor girl!" 
 
"She is not a poor girl, Tiffany! And don't call me oppa." Yongbae continued eating.
 
Tiffany glared at her before she left. Mae gulped heavily and turned to Yongbae. "I told you this isn't a good idea. She will be out there, planning to kill me."
 
"I told you, I'll be there when you need me. Now stop being dramatic and eat your sandwich!"
 
-
 
She looked down. It was low enough that if she jumped, she wouldn't die. But it was high that if she do jump, she'll break all the bones inside her living body. Sunny grabbed her hair and hissed at her ear. "We told you to jump, didn't we?! Why aren't you jumping?!!" Tiffany played with the stick on her hand, the same stick that they used to hit her before the dragged her here. "Well?!"
 
"We can settle this nicely, please," her shaking voice said. 
 
"Oh my gosh! Sunny just push her off already!!" Tiffany's voice echoed.
 
She felt a hand pushing her off to the ground. She closed her eyes, waiting for pain and blood to ooze off her skin. Instead, she saw the same pair of bright brown eyes looking down at her. "Does this mean you're in love with me?" he asked softly.
 
Mae blinked, pouting her lips a bit. "What made you think that?"
 
Yongbae leaned to her ear. "You've fallen, and I've caught you. That means we're crazily in love now!"
 
"You're not making any sense," she said, hopping off of his arms. She looked up to the railings, saw Tiffany and Sunny looking at each other, panicking. Yongbae followed her gaze and marched up the stairs, holding her hand along with him. "I told them to back off. Why don't they ever listen to me?"
 
"Because you always mutter non-sense," she replied, smiling, following him.
 
Yongbae looked back at her, smiling back. "Ah, you're smiling! That means you're in love with me!"
 
"No I'm not!"
 
"We'll see, after I give Tiffany and Sunny their lesson first."