Kyu Hyun oppa

Writers Strike VST One shot collection

 

 

Writer: Serenity
Characters: Lee Eunwon, Cho Kyuhyun
 
-------------------------------------------------------
 
"Kyu Hyun oppa...are you in a rush?"  I asked as I slowly ate my bowl of noodles.
 
"Shhh...you want people to recognize me?"  Kyu Hyun oppa whispered, making sure that his cap was put on properly to hide his facial features.
 
I looked around the restaurant; no one seemed to have noticed.  I bit my lip.  "But are you?"
 
Kyu Hyun glanced at his phone to check the time.  "Errr...I'll have to go in about five minutes."
 
"I guess that's a 'yes'."  I murmured.
 
"What?"
 
"Kyu Hyun-ah, isn't it possible for you to talk to your manager or something so that you can have a day off?"
 
"How many times do I have to tell you?  Even if he lets me, it's impossible.  Super Junior's schedule is completely packed right now, and everyone expects me to attend each and every one of the events."  He said as he took one huge bite of noodles.
 
"I was just a little worried about your health."  I looked down at my own bowl of noodles and pouted.
 
"Oh shoot," he suddenly said with his mouth full and glanced at his phone.  "Ah, sorry, I have to go now."
 
"I thought you said you had five more minutes left."
 
"I just remembered that I have to do something very important.  Sorry, call me tonight, okay?  Bye."  He hurried out the door, leaving me to pay the bill for our lunch.
 
The minute he left, I lost my appetite.  It was always like this.  I would invite him to somewhere; the first time, he would reject the invitation, the second time, he would be hesitant, the third time, he would finally agree.  We arrived at the place; we would spend at most thirty minutes together, but then he would have to rush back.  He would always leave in the middle of our "date".  I understood how it was hard to be a celebrity, but his consistent actions were giving me doubt that he even loved me with the same feelings as before anymore.  I saw many articles online about him being paired up with SNSD's Seo Hyun.  Could he possibly like her over me?  I mean, they were both celebrities; they would possibly see each other often since they were in the same company as well.  I'm sure there were many female celebrities who were prettier than me and would probably grab Kyu Hyun's attention.  I could not help, but got jealous.
 
I sighed and told the waiter that I was finished.  I grabbed my bag and paid the bill.  The minute I stepped out of the restaurant, my cell-phone started ringing.  It couldn’t be Kyu Hyun, I told myself hopelessly.  I picked up my phone and glanced at the caller ID.  Sung Min oppa?
 
“Hello?”
 
“Hello?  Is this Eun Won?”
 
“Yes, it is.”
 
“Eun Won-ah, have you seen Kyu Hyun?”
 
“…didn’t Kyu Hyun go back to the SM building?”
 
“No, we’ve been waiting for him for like ten minutes already.”
 
“…I was with him, but he had already left in a hurry about five minutes ago though.”
 
“Really?  Ah, this isn’t good.  The manager expects him to come back soon, or else he’ll be in big trouble.”
 
“Uh-uh, I’ll try to go look for him.”  I panicked.
 
“Alright, if you see Kyu Hyun, can you give me a call?”
 
“Yeah, sure.  Bye.”  I quickly hung up and started walking around the area, panicking.
 
Gees, where could a celebrity go in broad daylight?  I wondered.  He couldn’t be using the restroom, right?  But really – ten minutes?  Could he possibly be going “big”?  Aish…where is he?  I looked all over the area, trying to find someone who was wearing a white T-shirt, a simple pair of blue jeans, a black cap, and black sunglasses, but there was no sight of a person like this.  I sighed.  Well, that’s what he gets for leaving in the middle of our “date” to do something “important”.  Just when I was about to give up and walk back home, I caught a glimpse of someone who looked very similar to Kyu Hyun in a jewelry shop.  Ah, could that be Kyu Hyun?  Wait…inside a jewelry shop?  Nah, Kyu Hyun doesn’t shop for jewelry, and he should be hurrying back now.  I was about to turn and walk in the opposite direction, but I immediately stopped when I caught a glimpse of a very familiar-looking girl standing near this guy.  I squinted, trying to make out who this girl was.  I starred at the jewelry shop’s window in horror when I recognized who she was – SNSD’s Seo Hyun.  “No,” I murmured.  “No way.”  I looked at the guy again, and this time, I was pretty sure that the guy standing next to Seo Hyun was Kyu Hyun.  No, it couldn’t be my eyes playing a trick on me.  I continued starring at them and they were laughing happily like a couple.  Why are they together…at a jewelry shop?
 
The next thing I knew, tears started running down my cheeks.  Why are you crying, silly Eun Won?  How can you be so sure that they’re dating?  I tried comforting myself, but it didn’t work.  A few passersby started looking at me, but I ignored them.  I clenched my hands into fists and ran home, not caring what people thought of me.
 
The second I got home, I threw myself onto my bed and started crying like there was no tomorrow.  My phone started ringing, but I ignored it.  It continued ringing and I threw it across the room, which landed in my laundry bag.  I guess this all meant how important Kyu Hyun was…in my heart.
 
***
 
“Happy birthday!”  I immediately held my cell-phone away from my ear.
 
“Thanks.”  I laughed.
 
“Remember that these words are from Young Mi!  Don’t call me next year and complain that I didn’t say ‘happy birthday’ to you or give you a present or something.”
 
“I know, I know.”  I smiled.  Yep, she was my best friend, Young Mi, who was currently in the States.  I missed her like crazy, but I was happy for her since she was enjoying herself over there.  “So where is my birthday present?  Special delivery from the States?”
 
“Eh?  Didn’t it come yesterday?”
 
“No.”
 
“What the heck?!”  She screamed and again, I had to hold my cell-phone away from my ear.  “It was supposed to arrive yesterday!  Hold on, I’ll call you back later; gotta call the shipping company to get things fixed!  They better not lose the birthday present; I spent dollars on it!”
 
I giggled.  “Just kidding, I got it yesterday.  Thanks.”
 
“Aish, you scared the heck out of me!  You like it?”
 
“Yep.”  I smiled.
 
“Good!”  She laughed.  “So…you have a date with Kyu Hyun oppa?”
 
My smile immediately disappeared.  “Er, nah, he’s busy.”  I faked a laugh.
 
“Aish, that little…  Anyway, hope you have a happy birthday even if it’s without Kyu Hyun oppa.”
 
“I will.”
 
“Ah, sorry, I have to go now.  I’ll call you later again, okay?”
 
“Okay, bye.”  I hung up and sighed.  Yep, it was June 24th, my 22nd birthday.  Unfortunately, I had to spend it alone.  Actually, I guess it was a bit normal since for my past four birthdays, I would just receive a birthday present and a call from Young Mi, and then another call from Kyu Hyun late at night, which would last for about an hour before he would go to sleep.  It was indeed pretty sad, but I used to think, “As long as I’m able to hear Kyu Hyun’s voice, I’ll be happy,” which would be a way of comforting myself of how Kyu Hyun rarely spent his time with me.  This year, I guess it would be only Young Mi.
 
For the past week or so, Kyu Hyun didn’t call me at all, but then again, it would be usually me calling him instead.  All I received from him was a text message that said: “Ha, this is weird.  I wonder why Eun Won-nie hasn’t been calling lately…  :P”  He seriously needed to add the emoticon on.  I would have been much more less angry if he texted me: “Are you okay?  You haven’t been calling me…”  If he worried about me that much, he could have come look for me…  The flashback of the time when I saw him with Seo Hyun at the jewelry shop flashed in my head, and I became angry again despite the fact that it was my birthday.
 
Eun Won, you will eventually need to talk to Kyu Hyun about this matter; the sooner, the better.  I was about to pick up my cell-phone to text Kyu Hyun that I wanted to talk to him that night, but it started ringing again.  I looked at the caller ID before picking up.
 
“Sung Min oppa?”
 
“Hi -.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!”  I suddenly heard a group of people shout from the background.  For the third time, I held my cell-phone away from my ear.
 
“Thanks.”  I smiled.
 
“Sorry, that was Super Junior.”  Sung Min laughed.  “Anyway, are you free tonight at around 10PM?”
 
“…why that late?”
 
“Errr…because…because…”
 
“Because?”
 
“Tell her that Kyu Hyun wants to see her.”  Someone shouted from behind, in which I recognized was Super Junior’s leader, Lee Teuk’s voice.  “Yeah, Kyu Hyun…wants to see you.”  Sung Min laughed.
 
This would be a good chance for me to talk to him.  “I’m free tonight.”
 
“Really?”
 
“Yeah, did he tell you where I should meet him?”
 
“Super Junior’s practice room at the SM building.  You know where that is?”
 
“I…think so?”  I said as I tried remembering the time when Kyu Hyun showed me around the SM building.
 
“If you don’t remember, you can call any one of the Super Junior members and we’ll bring you there.”
 
“Alright.  At 10PM?”
 
“Yes, get there by 10PM.  Kyu Hyun is expecting you to be there.”
 
“Alright.”
 
“Alright, talk to you later.  Bye.”
 
“Bye.”  I hung up and sighed.  Eun Won, you can do this!
 
***
 
I found myself wandering around the hallways of the SM building.  I knew I should have called one of the Super Junior members instead of trusting my own instinct.  “Great.”  I murmured.
 
“Eun Won?”  I suddenly heard a voice from behind.  I turned around and there stood Ye Sung, just a few yards away from me.
 
“Oh, hello, Ye Sung oppa.”  I greeted and bowed.
 
“Hi.  Errr…are you lost?”
 
I scratched my head and laughed awkwardly.  “Uh, kinda.  It has been a long time since I’ve come to the SM building.”
 
“Our practice room is on the third floor.”
 
“…uh, what floor is this?”
 
“The second.”
 
“Oh!”  I smacked my forehead.  “Aish, good thing you found me, or else I would have been searching for the practice room for the rest of the night here.”
 
Ye Sung laughed.  “You want me to show you the way?  Kyu Hyun is waiting upstairs.”
 
“…al-already?”
 
“Yeah, come.”  He gestured me to follow him and I did.  We took the elevator and arrived at the third floor.  He led me through a few hallways, and I was pretty sure I would have gotten lost in a maze if I was wandering alone.
 
“Wow, the SM building is huge…”
 
“Yeah, it is.  Here’s the practice room.”  Ye Sung stopped in front of a glass door and smiled.
 
“Oh, thanks.  I can go in by myself.”
 
“Alright, have fun.”  He patted my shoulder and grinned.
 
What’s up with the grin?  I took a deep breath and slowly opened the door.  I looked around; no one was in the practice room – no Kyu Hyun.  “Hello?”
 
The lights suddenly went off.  Oh no…not a black out, right?
 
“Happy birthday to you…”  I suddenly heard a familiar voice singing.  I immediately turned around and saw someone bringing out a birthday cake with a lit up candle.  “Happy birthday to you…” The person continued singing.  “Happy birthday dear Eun Won...  Happy birthday to you…”  The lights were back on again; I looked and standing before me was Kyu Hyun.  I gasped in surprise, but he just stood there with a grin.  “Happy birthday, Eun Won!”  He said.
 
I was speechless.  “You…you…”
 
“Surprise!  Didn’t expect me to celebrate your birthday with you, huh?”  He smirked.
 
I starred at him, then at the birthday cake, then around me.  Hanging on all sides of the practice room were ribbons and colorful birthday decorations.  There was a table covered in a pink tablecloth in the middle of the room and a few balloons hanging on the chairs around it.  What in the world…?  I must be dreaming.
 
“Eun Won?”
 
“This…this is amazing!”
 
Kyu Hyun laughed.  “Glad that you like it.  Super Junior spent time decorating the room.”
 
My mouth slowly turned into a frown.  “Why?”  I asked him.
 
“…what do you mean why?  It’s your birthday – that’s why.”
 
I shook my head.  “Are you doing this because we’re going to break-up afterwards?”
 
Kyu Hyun gave me a confused look.  “What are you talking about?”
 
“…tell me, you did all this because you knew that today would be our last day together as a couple, right?”
 
“I…don’t understand what you are trying to say.”  He put the birthday cake down on the table.
 
“Last week…I saw you…”
 
“…yeah, at the restaurant.  It was our date, and I apologize again that I had to leave in a hurry.  I really had to do something important.”
 
“Important?  Spending time at the jewelry shop when you were supposed to head back to the SM building?”
 
Kyu Hyun looked at me with a shocked expression.  “You saw me…”
 
“Spending time alone with another girl…you call that important?”
 
“Uh, I think you have misunderstood.”
 
“Misunderstood you?  Are you trying to tell me that you weren’t cheating on me?”
 
“I swear to God, I wasn’t.”  He looked deep into my eyes.
 
I bit my lip and a rush of anger was boiling up in me.  I turned around and was about to head out the door when he suddenly grabbed my hand.  “Let go of me.”  I said.
 
“You misunderstood me!  I wasn’t cheating on you!”
 
I tried my best to free my own hand, but his grasp was too strong.  He pulled me back towards him and hugged me from behind.  “Eun Won, I wasn’t cheating on you.  I was only buying a birthday present for you.”
 
“Why was Seo Hyun there then?!”
 
“I don’t know either.  I was just browsing around the store and I just bumped into her coincidentally.  I told her that I was trying to help pick out a birthday present for you, and she just gave me suggestions.  That’s all – nothing else.”
 
I turned back around and faced him.  “Prove it to me.  Where is my birthday present?”
 
He starred at me and I starred back at him.  He suddenly walked towards the table and picked up a light blue, velvet box.  He walked back towards me and opened the box for me to see the silver, heart-shaped necklace that he had picked out from the jewelry shop.  I starred at the necklace in shock…  I could not believe that I had misunderstood him all this time.
 
“Now, do you believe me?”
 
I looked back at him and the next thing I knew, tears started running down my cheeks.  I threw myself to hug him tightly and started crying on his shoulder.  “I’m sorry!”  I said in between sobs.
 
He gently kissed my head and hugged me back.  “Silly, do you really think I’ll cheat on the woman whom I love the most?”
 
“Liar!  I’m not the woman whom you love the most.  I’m sure your mother is more important than me.”
 
He laughed.  “Hey, don’t tell me that your father isn’t more important than me.  Our parents are obviously the most important in our lives.”  I laughed and he gently wiped away my tears.  “The birthday girl isn’t supposed to cry.”
 
I nodded.  “Don’t scare me like that again!”
 
“What?!  I didn’t scare you!  You were the one who misunderstood.”
 
“Don’t talk back, you’re supposed to say ‘sorry’.”  I joked.
 
“Fine, sorry.”
 
I sniffed, wiped away my last tear, and smiled at my cute boyfriend.
 
“But hey, at least this proves how important we are to each other.”  He said.
 
I nodded.  “I was mad this whole week.”
 
“Well, you’re not mad anymore, are you?”
 
I shook my head and smiled.  He had been loving me with the same feelings as before, after all.  I wrapped my arms around him and gave him a passionate kiss.  I guess I used a bit too much force because we both fell on the ground afterwards.
 
“Woah, go get a room, you two!”  I suddenly heard at least three voices and I immediately jerked back from Kyu Hyun.
 
“Since when were you guys in this room?”  I starred at the Super Junior members before me.
 
“Errr…a while ago.  We heard everything that you two had said.”  Ye Sung grinned.
 
“Didn’t you leave when I came in?”
 
“Nope.  You came in through the front door while I was hiding behind the back door with the other Super Junior members.”  Ye Sung laughed.
 
“It was a very romantic drama you guys had there.”  Sung Min commented.
 
“Gee, thanks for eavesdropping.”  Kyu Hyun rolled his eyes.
 
“Sorry, maknae, but you know, your hyungs are very proud of you that you’ve gotten yourself a very nice girlfriend.”  Lee Teuk smiled as he wrapped one of his arms around Kyu Hyun’s shoulders.
 
“Don’t worry, we don’t steal.”  Si Won smiled.
 
“Better not!”  Kyu Hyun glared at Si Won.
 
“Anyway, happy birthday, Eun Won!”  The Eunhae (Eun Hyuk and Dong Hae) couple shouted.
 
“Yeah, happy birthday!!!”  The rest of the members joined in.
 
“Thanks!”  I grinned.  This year must have been one of my best birthdays I’ve ever celebrated.
 
For the rest of the night, we shared laughter and played games.  Even though the Super Junior members had schedules the next day, they were still willing to spend the birthday with me despite how tired they were.  I was really grateful that I had met these amazing people…and of course, my boyfriend whom I loved very much – Kyu Hyun.