Dragon Girl Part 1

Writers Strike VST One shot collection

Title: Dragon Girl
Requested by: minokonee
Characters: Lee Ho Won
Author: sweetcandie
Note: I'm sorry that it took so long to give you this story. I hope you like it. I had lots of fun writing it because there were so many ideas flowing through my mind for this one.


-----------------------------------------------------

"The spirits have spoken. Your daughter is a cursed child." The group sat around a crying baby girl, examining her dragon-like birthmark on the back of her right shoulder.

 

"What can we do? If she is cursed, we no longer want her! She isn't even truly ours! We found her on our doorsteps."

 

"You cannot give her up for adoption or you will be cursed. You must keep her alive, but hide her well. Should anyone see her, you will be the talk of the town."

 

"Yes, sir," Mr. Choi responded to the fortune teller as he handed him the 200,000 won.

 

[These two have been given a blessing as their second chance and still they seek more. If they cannot appreciate what they are given, then they do not deserve her help. I have long been waiting for this day, to return our services for the betrayal of my great-great-grandfather. Little Rena, although you must suffer these horrible people, when the time comes, you will be free.] The fortune teller cunningly smiled as he accepted the cash.

 

The Lee household. They were the richest and nicest people of the town. To the citizens, they were like royalty and everyone wanted to marry their daughter to the Lee's only son; Lee Ho Won.

 

Mrs. Lee sat on Ho Won's bed, as she told him the family legend that was passed from generation to generation; it was about the dragon girl.

 

~ Once upon a time, when your great-great-grandfather was the head of our clan, it was said that he married a dragon woman. People say that she had put a curse on him so that he would marry her to become a human. Little did they know though, that it was love that brought these two together. Unfortunately, she was seen as a curse to the town even though she brought lots of wealth, fortune and happiness to these citizens. One night, when your great-great-grandfather wasn't home, their house was raided and she was murdered. When he came home, he was very sad and upset at these people. He took away all their wealth, fortune, and happiness. The town lived in misery until the person who led the raid confessed and was put in jail. When that happened, everyone sent their sincere apologies and did everything to make your great-great-grandfather happy again. Although he forgave them, he was still very sad. He prayed to God to give his clan another blessing. Today, legend has it that there will be a girl with the mark of the dragon woman who will come to our clan and bring us wealth, fortune, and happiness when we need it most. ~

 

Ho Won clapped his hands at the finale and smiled.

 

"Umma, can you tell it again?" Mrs. Lee smiled at her blessed child.

 

"I would love to Hoya, but it is late and you must sleep now. Tomorrow night, okay?"

 

"Araso, Umma. Good night."

 

"Good night Ho Won." After tucking him in, Mrs. Lee got up and headed towards the door.

 

"Umma?"

 

"Yes?"

 

"I'm going to find the dragon girl, and when I do, I'm going to marry her." Mrs. Lee smiled at her son.

 

"Araso, I believe in you."

 

~ 1 8 Y E A R S L A T E R ~

 

The Choi household was blessed with a beautiful second daughter; Choi Hee Rim. She was told to bring lots of wealth, fortune and happiness to them alone. They were very happy about this as they knew about the legend of the Lee household. Because of this fortune, they pushed their daughter towards the Lee's only son, Ho Won.

 

In the Lee household, disaster struck. Mr. Lee had fallen ill and was said to die within the year. Mrs. Lee refused to leave the house and stayed by Mr. Lee's side the whole time. The Lee household was full of darkness as their wealth, fortune and happiness was slipping away along with Mr. Lee.

 

"May you all leave, please? I'd like a private word with my family." When the Lee family was alone, Mr. Lee finally spoke his last wish.

 

"Ho Won."

 

"Neh, Uppa?"

 

"I know I must be asking for impossibility, but I ask that you find the legendary dragon girl. She will bring back our wealth that is slipping. She will bring us our fortune again and our happiness. And if I should die, at least she will bring it to you and your mother."

 

"Yes, uppa. I will try my best."

 

"Honey, please don't ask something so impossible of our son." Ho Won turned towards his mother.

 

"Umma, remember what you told me when I was a kid? That you believed in me? Please continue to believe in me."

 

"I do believe in you, but you need love in your marriage to work. You can't just marry a girl to help you out." Mr. Lee coughed horribly, bringing his family's attention to him. He cleared his throat.

 

"Do not worry. When he sees the dragon girl, it'll be love at first sight, like it was with great-grandfather." Mrs. Lee took her husband's hand.

 

"Araso, if you say so."

 

"Rest well, Uppa. I am going to go to sleep now and I will begin my search for her tomorrow."

 

"Araso. You must rest well as well."

 

"Neh, Uppa." Ho Won bowed and left. He showered and got ready for bed.

 

Back at the Choi household, Rena stood in front of a mirror, in her prison-like room. She pushed down her shirt to reveal her cursed birthmark. She ran her fingers over it. She was 18 now, and still hadn't been outside. She suffered her parents' horrible remarks and the flaunting of her younger sister in her face. She pulled her shirt back up and went to lay down in her bed. She released a sigh. She got up and went to look out her window. As she sat there, she saw someone. Shocked, she sat up and rubbed her eyes. The figure didn't disappear. She immediately stood up. But before she could retreat, the figure had already turned around and saw her. It was as if time had frozen as the two of them just stared at each other.

 

[That must be him.] He smiled and waved at her. In response, Rena just blinked. She dropped her head and shook it as she laughed at herself. She looked back up and returned the smile and wave. He put up his hand, signifying for her to wait. When he came back, he had paper and markers.

 

~ Who are you? Why haven't I seen you before? ~

 

Rena smiled and went to retrieve paper and markers as well. She quickly wrote a response and put it up against the window.

 

~ Choi Rena, and I am being held prisoner by my parents. ~

 

~ Why? ~

 

~ Because of my birthmark. ~

 

~ Cursed? ~

 

~ Yes. ~

 

~ You're too beautiful to be a curse. ~

 

~ Thank you. ~

 

And their conversation continued on through the night and every night afterwards.

 

One day, when Ho Won was reading the legend of the Lee clan, his mother called for him with excitement in her voice.

 

"Ho Won!"

 

"Neh, Umma?"

 

"Our fortune teller is here! He thinks he knows who the dragon girl is!" Hearing that, Ho Won quickly went to greet him.

 

"Excuse me, Mrs. Lee, but I'd like a private word with your son."

 

"Yes, sir." Mrs. Lee bowed to the man and left the room, closing the door behind her.

 

"So you know who the dragon girl is?"

 

"I don't know. I think, though I'm very sure it is her."

 

"Who is it?! Please tell me! She may be able to help my father! I'll give you whatever you want."

 

"I don't want anything in return but for the freedom of this girl. My great-great-grandfather made the mistake of destroying what was a blessing and it has become the duty of my clan to find and protect each person who bore the mark of the dragon. Unfortunately, though, generations before me had failed, and I am the first to succeed. I cannot remain here long for I am needed elsewhere. Please do not fail me in this for it is the greatest thing I have been able to do for your family for the betrayal my clan has done yours so long ago."

 

"Yes, sir. You can be sure I will find her."

 

"She is seen as the daughter of Mr. Choi. I wish I could tell you exactly who she is, but that would not be the correct way for you to find her. Follow your heart, and she will be yours. Good luck, for you will need it. The Choi's are not easy people to deal with."

 

"But you just said that the dragon girl was their daughter."

 

"All I can tell you, my dear boy, is to think carefully about the one clue I gave and can only give you. I must be on my way now."

 

"Yes, sir." Ho Won bowed down to the fortune teller as he left. He then went in search of his parents and told them about the news that came with the fortune teller.

 

"You must call on her. But most importantly, please follow your heart."

 

"Yes, uppa. I'll be going over there later today."

 

When the doorbell rang, Mrs. Choi went to open it.

 

"Who is it?" Upon seeing who it was, she immediately began to try to look her best.

 

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Choi. Is your daughter home?"

 

"Oh, yes. Hee Rim is in her room. Why don't you go sit in the living room? I will go get her."

 

"Yes, ma'am." Ho Won followed her into the living room and sat down as he waited for Hee Rim.

 

"Umma, can't you see I am busy? Why are you bothering me?"

 

"Because Lee Ho Won is here." Hee Rim immediately stood up from her makeup station.

 

"THE Lee Ho Won? As in from the Lee household?"

 

"Yes, that Lee Ho Won. And more importantly, he specifically asked for you. See, the fortune teller was right. You are a blessing. You will bring your father and I lots of wealth."

 

"And what about Rena? Do we have to keep her wherever we go? She's such a nuisance."

 

"Unfortunately dear, we must. The fortune teller told us that should we abandon her, we will be cursed. Now hurry, we cannot keep your special guest waiting."

 

"Right. Just let me add a dab of makeup here and I'll be good." Hee Rim dabbed on some powder and followed her mother downstairs.

 

"We are sorry to keep you waiting." Hee Rim pushed passed her mother and shoved her hand in front of Ho Won.

 

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Lee Ho Won." Ho Won just looked at her hand with a blank stare, stood up, and shook it.

 

"It's nice to meet you too." He turned towards Mrs. Choi.

 

"Excuse me, ma'am. But I'd like a few private words with your daughter."

 

"Oh, of course. Excuse me." She smiled at her daughter before she left.

 

[He's in the palm of our hands. Hee Rim will definitely marry him.]

 

"It's Hee Rim, right?"

 

"Yes. You remembered my name. That's such a compliment." Again, another blank stare from Ho Won.

 

[Is this girl out of her mind? It's not a compliment to remember someone's name.]

 

"Neh. Umm, do you know about the legend behind the Lee family?"

 

"Ah, yes. The dragon girl that your clan is always looking for. You must have heard about the fortune that was told to my parents. The fortune teller told them that I would bring wealth, fortune, and happiness to my parents, a trait that the dragon girl had, right?" Again, Ho Won looked at Hee Rim with doubt.

 

[But she does come with the trait of the dragon girl.]

 

~ F L A S H B A C K ~

 

"But most importantly, please follow your heart."

 

~ E N D ~

 

Remembering his father's words, Ho Won continued on.

 

"Indeed you do, however that does not make you the dragon girl. I have my ways of finding out, and I'd like to get to know you better before I make any rash decisions."

 

"Were you planning to marry me? Omo! That's so cool! I should start planning it! How many people to invite, the food, the cake, the decorations. Oh! This is so wonderful! I must go tell my mother."

 

"STOP! There is no guarantee of a marriage yet. In fact, marriage is far from my mind at this moment. All I want to do is to get to know you better. I will decide if I'm going to marry you or not."

 

"Well that's too bad. Guess I'll just have to settle for what you offer for now. Okay, so let's go."

 

"Go? Where?"

 

"Get to know each other better, silly." Hee Rim grabbed Ho Won's hand and dragged him out the door. Upon seeing that, her parents evilly smiled.

 

[We will soon be rich.]

 

On the otherhand, Ho Won began to really doubt Hee Rim. When the day was over, he was extremely happy to be home.

 

"How did it go, son?"

 

"Horrible. I have very high doubts about her. Even though the fortune teller gave her that fortune, I do not think she is the dragon girl we're searching for."

 

"I'm sorry. But you will continue to try, won't you?"

 

"For you and Father, yes, I will. But only till the end of the week. She is a hard person to stay with for so long. The one advice I will not ignore in finding this girl is to follow my heart. If I cannot say I love her come the end of the week, I will not see her anymore."

 

"Still, if you continue to try, then you're father and I are most thankful."

 

"It is nothing compared to what you two have given me. I am going to rest. I did not think one could be bored to exhaustion." Mrs. Lee laughed as her son went to his room. He passed by his window, and seeing that Rena was still awake, he knocked on his window.

 

Hearing the knock from Ho Won's window, Rena stopped reading her book and went to the window.

 

~ Your sister is nothing like you. ~ Rena smiled.

 

~ You met her? ~

 

~ Yes. My family has reason to believe that she is the dragon girl. ~

 

Upon reading those words, Rena's heart dropped. For the month that they had been communicating like this, she had come to like him. But knowing that her sister had the potential of being the dragon girl, she felt like crying. She heard the knock from Ho Won's window. Forcing a smile on, she replied.

 

~ She's nothing like me because we aren't blood sisters. ~

 

~ You're not? ~

 

~ I'm somewhat adopted. ~

 

~ What's that supposed to mean? ~

 

~ The Choi's found me on the doorstep. They took me in because they couldn't have any kids of their own for awhile. But when they took me to the fortune teller and found out I was cursed, they didn't want me anymore. The only reason why I'm still here is because if they lose me, then they will be cursed. ~

 

~ I see. Will I offend you if I say that your parents aren't likeable? ~

 

Rena laughed at his words.

 

~ Not at all. ~

 

Upon hearing footsteps, Rena turned towards the door stricken with fear.

 

~ I have to go. You should too. If my parents see this, they will block off this window. ~

 

~ Okay. Good night. ~

 

Rena looked at Ho Won, smiled and closed her shades just when Hee Rim came in.

 

"What were you doing?"

 

"Nothing."

 

"Anyway, I need you to make me some medicine to cure Mr. Lee."

 

"Why?"

 

"Well, if they believe I'm the dragon girl, they need proof. Just hurry up and make it. I want to deliver it to them later tonight."

 

"I already have it made."

 

"Oh good!" Rena got it out from one of her cabinets and handed it to Hee Rim.

 

"Make sure to enforce that they follow the directions on the note."

 

"Yeah, yeah. Bye." She slammed the door and ran down the stairs.

 

"Where are you going?" Hee Rim looked up at her mom while she was putting her shoes on.

 

"I have some medicine to give to Mr. Lee. This way, I'll be more likely to marry Ho Won."

 

"Smart idea dear! Here, let me come with you."

 

"Hurry! I'm so excited to see their reaction, I don't want to wait any longer."

 

"Araso, araso. There, I'm good. Now let's go." As mother and daughter were approaching the Lee's house, Mrs. Choi realized she forgot her bag.

 

"You go on ahead. Tell Mrs. Lee that I'm right behind you. Umma just forgot her bag."

 

"Araso. But hurry! You've delayed enough time already."

 

"Neh, my sweet pumpkin." Just as Mrs. Choi turned around, something caught her eye up above.

 

[No!]

 

~ F L A S H B A C K ~

 

"You cannot give her up for adoption or you will be cursed. You must keep her alive, but hide her well. Should anyone see her, you will be the talk of the town."

 

~ E N D ~

 

"Hee Rim dear?"

 

"What now, Umma?"

 

"You go on ahead and send my regards to the Lee's."

 

"You could've just stayed home from the start! Haish! You wasted so much of my time." Mrs. Choi ignored her daughter's remark and quickly ran inside.

 

"Dear! We must hurry! I told you not to put that window in! Someone knows about her now!" Mr. Choi quickly stood up.

 

"How dare she!" The two of them grabbed their needed tools and stormed up to Rena's room.

 

Upon hearing foot steps, Rena quickly shut her shades, picked up her book, and sat on her bed. Her parents bust through her door.

 

"Is something wrong, Umma and Uppa?"

 

"Is something wrong? Is something wrong?! How dare you try to lie to us?!" Rena gave her parents a confused look.

 

"I. I don't understand."

 

"You have been communicating with someone through that window. Who was it?"

 

"N-No one. I swear." Mrs. Choi leaned in closer to Rena so her face was right in front of hers.

 

"I saw it with my own eyes. And you still dare to deny it?" Mrs. Choi stood back up.

 

"You did this to yourself." She joined her husband as they began to board up the window. Seeing what they were doing, Rena quickly scrambled out of bed to stop them.

 

"Wait! I'm sorry! I did do it, but please! Don't board up the window! It's the only freedom I have!"

 

"You don't deserve any freedom now. We kept you alive and under protection, and this is how you pay us back?! You can't even keep up your own end of the bargain!"

 

"Please! I'm sorry! I won't do it again! Please don't board it up." But seeing as it was no use any longer to plead with them, Rena just sunk to knees as the last board was put in place.

 

"There. You will remain hidden and unknown, as it was like from the start."

 

"Neh, sir." The Choi's left Rena's room, closing the door behind them. Rena went to lay down on her bed as she let out her sadness.

 

[It's over. I will never be free. I will always be a prisoner of this family.]

 

Ho Won could only watch from the side as Rena's window was boarded up.

 

[This is my fault. I have to do something.]

 

"Hoya, Hee Rim is here! And she has a gift for your father!" Hearing his mother's voice, Ho Won went downstairs to join them. Upon seeing him, Hee Rim quickly stood up, pushing her hand forward. This time, Ho Won just ignored it. He went over to his mother.

 

"What is she doing here?"

 

"Please show some respect. She is very close to convincing us that she is the dragon girl."

 

"Dragon girl? What do you mean?"

 

"She brought over some medicine for your father, and already he is showing signs of getting better."

 

"Did she make that medicine?"

 

"She said she did, and we have no reason to doubt her."

 

"Araso, if you say so. can you leave us for a moment?"

 

"Neh. Try to be nice to her now."

 

"Neh, Umma." As soon as Mrs. Lee left, Ho Won sat on the sofa opposite her.

 

"You know, it's considered respectful for a man to kiss a lady's hand when it is offered."

 

"Ah, mianhe. I'll remember to do so the next time I meet a lady." Hee Rim just smiled.

 

"So I heard that you brought over some medicine for my father."

 

"Neh, the fortune promised by the dragon girl."

 

"Is that so? Well, when he runs out, I'd like for you to make more."

 

"No problem. It's a breeze."

 

"Maybe I can watch you make it next time so I can learn as well." Hee Rim immediately began to look uneasy.

 

"N-Neh. It's really. umm. easy. No trick to it." Hee Rim gave a fake smile.

 

[Something isn't right here.]

 

"Hee Rim shi?"

 

"Neh?"

 

"Do you have an older sister?"