Typical Weeknight.... For the Most Part

I Was Completely Okay... Until I Met the Choi Brothers

"Alexa, wait for me!" I called after my little sister as I took Ayden out of his carseat. Alexa was running to the house.

I quickly put Ayden on my hip, grabbed my book bag, and ran after Alexa, who was standing on the porch. "I don't care if we're home. If we're outside, make sure you stay in my view, okay?" I scolded Alexa as I unlocked the house.

"Sorry, Emmy. But I want to show you what I did in pre-school today!" Alexa squealed as she ran inside the house.

She kicked off her little black flats and I slid off my volleyball shoes, then took off Ayden's little sneakers.

"What'd ya do, bunny boo?" I asked, rhyming.

Alexa walked into the kitchen, and I the light. I groaned when I saw dishes in the sink from this morning. Mom couldn't have done them on her lunch break?

Alexa jumped up on a chair and put her back pack on the table. She ped it, and took out a folder. "We colored a picture of a butterfly!" She handed it to me.

For being four years old, Alexa could color in the lines really well. "Pretty, Lex!" I smiled.

"Ask why it's a butterfly we had to color!" Alexa bounced up and down.

I laughed. "Why is it a butterfly?"

"Because our class is called the Butterfly class!" Alexa smiled. She took out another paper. "And we had to draw our family. Look!"

I set Ayden in his high chair and took the picture Alexa held out to me. It was hand drawn, and there was a house, and then a black building in the upper right corner. By the house were four people, which she labeled Emma, Mason, Alexa, and Ayden. By the building were two taller people in what were probably suits, holding phones and suitcases. She had labeled those Mommy and Daddy.

My heart kind of sank.  Just by seeing this picture, I knew Alexa realized Mom and Dad thought work was more important. "Alexa... Is this really how you think our family is?"

Alexa nodded and pointed at the picture. "Mommy and Daddy always work, but you and Mason are always home to help me and my little brother. And see? We're a smiling because you do a good job taking care of us. And mommy and daddy are smiling because they like to work. They like it more than being at home."

"No they don't. They just want to make sure they're making enough money so we can be happy." They were making more than enough.

"I'd just be happy if I saw them more..." Alexa said sadly, looking down at her folder.

I tried to sound happy. "Well, I bet Mom and Dad will love to see these. Why don't we put them on the fridge? That way, when mom gets milk for dads coffee, she'll have to see it!"

"Oh, yeah! Do that!" Alexa nodded excitedly

I put the pictures on the fridge with two magnets, and I opened the fridge and got out stuff for dinner. "Mom said stir fry.... But what do you guys want?"

"Pizza!" Alexa exclaimed.

"It's not the same pizza here as it is back in Florida, Lex." I sighed. I looked at my ingredients. "You know what? I can make home-made pizza.  Do you want that?"

"Yes, please." Alexa nodded.

"Alright. How about some music?" I walked over to the radio and turned it on. Some Korean pop song came on, and I bobbed my head to the music as I opened a can on crescent rolls I would use as crust.

While I was spreading a can of sauce on the crust, I heard the front door unlock.

"Hello?" Mason called. "Em? Lex?"

"Masey!" Alexa squealed. She jumped out of her chair and ran to the foyer, where Mason probably was. I sighed and kept adding ingredients, glancing at Ayden every now and then to make sure he was okay. He was currently banging a wooden spoon on his high chair table.

"Hey, Em." Mason said, walking into the kitchen.

"Hey." I replied, grabbing some sliced mushrooms. I started to put them on. "Can you put some Cheerios in front of Ayden please." I turned around. "I think he..." my voice drifted.

Mason was carrying Alexa on his back, but behind them was Minho. He was dressed in comfy shorts and a t-shirt that was covered in grass stains at the hem.

"Oh. hey, Minho." I smiled.

"He came with so he could help me figure out this stuff in math." Mason shrugged. "We met up after football and soccer practice."

"Okay." I nodded. "There will be plenty of food for everyone."

I finished up the pizza and popped it in the oven. I turned to the guys, who were just now sitting at the table. "So you play soccer, Minho?"

"Yes." Minho nodded shyly. He smiled. "It's my favorite sport."

"Cool." I nodded. He was so good-looking, it was hard to take my eyes off him.

"How was practice?" Mason asked me.

I scoffed. "Terrible. We don't even do anything! The girls have no technique except for, like, three of us, and the coaches don't even care. You know what our uniforms are?" I walked over to my bag and pulled out a baggy pair of SIHS shorts and a sleeveless jersey with the number 21 on the back. "These!" I showed them to mason. "It's ridiculous."

"Those do ." Mazon agreed.

"What are you supposed to wear in volleyball?" Minho asked.

"A pair of spandex like these." I pointed to what I was wearing. "And a racerback jersey. And knee-high socks. This school just doesn't know...."

"Tell them." Mason suggested. "They seem to know alot about football."

"Good for you." I sighed.

"The uniforms you wear in Florida would'nt go well with the school board here." Minho admitted.

"Why not?" I asked. I grabbed a water from he fridge and took a sip. "The uniforms makes all the gisl look like Catholic School girl s anyways."

"They just seem very.. sports y." Minoh looked away and I saw his cheeks turn pink.

"Duh." Mason scoffed. "That's why it's the best girl's sport to watch. That and softball. Tight pants and spandex... man, count me in."

"Pig." I snapped at Mason. I looked at Minho. "So Siwon and Top are your brothers, huh? How interesting is that at home?"

Minho shrugged. "Top is out a lot. Or he stays in his room. Siwon is fine. He reads a lot. Or he'll help me with basketball. I'm closer to him than my other brothers."

"I noticed. Well, Top told me he's not close to his SM brothers."

Minho nodded. "I just feel like... now that you're here, things will be more interesting. Between all of us."

I looked at him, confused. "What? I just got here."

Minho gave Mason a knowing smirk, and Mason sighed. "And let the games begin."