(Episode 5) Chapter 20

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-- November 6, 2017, 11:00 AM --
-- Near Incheon, South Korea --

Sehun parked the car and Sunmi checked her bag to see if she had everything she needed.

“I heard this case was going to be weird.” Sunmi told Sehun as he opened the door for her to get out.

“Where’d you hear that from?” He asked her as he grabbed her bag in one hand and held her hand in the other and they started walking to the edge of the port where there was a set of stairs they needed to descend.

“Sejeong-unnie. She called earlier and we talked about it for a bit.” Sunmi answered. Up ahead, they both saw Sejeong and Minyoung making their way to the boat as well. Sunmi let go of Sehun’s hands and jogged to catch up to her unnies.

“Unnies!” She called out and both women stopped walking and turned to her. She finally caught up to them and bowed in greeting.

“Hello.” She said with a smile.

“Oh. You guys are here. Did Sehun pick you up, Sunmi?” Minyoung asked the young woman as the three of them started walking together and she nodded.

“Didn’t you tell me your shoulder was all better and your dad allowed you to drive already?” Sejeong teased.

“He called and said he would. Plus, it saves gasoline.” Sunmi simply said with a shrug, trying to act like it wasn’t a big deal. They continued to walk until they reached the edge and saw a flight of stairs. They looked down and saw that they were the last ones to arrive.

“Goodmorning.” The three of them said together as they went down the stairs.

“Hello.” Sehun said, a few steps behind the three women.

“Is everyone on board?” The captain asked.

“Yes.” They all responded and were given life vests to wear while the captain did the last-minute checks and preparations.

“Detective Ahn. We just got back from Jeju Island, and we're going to another island?” Jaesuk asked him Jaewook.

“Exactly.” Sejeong told herself

“Look at that island.” Jaewook pointed to an eerie-looking Island just a bit farther from the mainland.

“Isn't that a deserted island?” Jongmin asked.

“It sure looks like it. It seems like we will have to go there.” Jaewook informed everyone.

“What's the matter?” Jaesuk asked.

“Sejeong, Minyoung, Sunmi, you've heard of vampires, right? Do you believe in them?” Jaewook asked the women.

“Which ones are we talking about? The Edward Cullen kind or the Count Dracula kind?” Sunmi asked as the others made sounds of disbelief.

“Who believes in vampires these days?” Jaesuk asked him.

“You don't, do you?” Jaewook asked Kwangsoo.

“Are you drunk?” Kwangsoo asked him back.

“Neither did I.” Jaewook answered.

“Even if they did exist, they would be in Europe, not here.” Jaesuk told him.

“When I was an agent, I arrested this guy. And his hometown is that island. Strange things are happening there. There are some scary rumors going around. When I asked the captain to take us to that island he told me that the people there hate outsiders.” Jaewook narrated.

There is something even more shocking. K called me and told me a murder had happened on a nearby island. Interestingly, the murder took place in the island my friend lived in.” Jaewook said as he pointed to the island.

“Is it that island?” Jaesuk asked him.

“Yes, it is.” Jaewook confirmed.

“After hearing the story, the island looks spooky.” Jaesuk said as he stood up and observed the island.

“There's something spooky about it.” Kwangsoo answered.

“I think we will find something there. Vampires hate crosses.” Jongmin enumerated.

“Garlic too.” Kwangsoo added.

“That's right.” Jaesuk agreed.

“And onions. Shouldn't we bring them?” Jongmin asked.

“Onions?” Jaewook and Sejeong asked while Sunmi giggled.

“Something like that.” Jongmin defended himself.

“Are you making ramyeon?” Jaewook .

“Is everyone on board?” The captain asked once again.

“Yes!” Everyone answered.

“I'll start the boat.” He informed them.

“Let's go.” Jaesuk said.

“Are there really vampires?” Kwangsoo asked.

“The waves are high.” The captain warned them.

“Could the rumors be false?” Kwangsoo hopefully asked.  

“It looks creepy.” Jongmin said as the boat headed towards the island.

“I told you it would be weird.” Sunmi whispered to Sehun as the others talked about the island. When he thought no one was looking, he pulled her closer to him, her back to his front, making sure she wouldn’t fall over in the moving boat.

After a couple of minutes, they saw the dock of the island.

“Are we here?” Jaesuk asked.

“From here, it looks even creepier.” Sejeong admitted.

“Exactly.” Jaesuk said as the captain of the boat moved to the dock to let his passengers off. Soon, the team of detectives was back on land.

“It has suddenly become dark. Something feels weird.” Jongmin said as they got to the top of the dock.

“After hearing the story, it feels creepier for some reason.” Jaewook admitted.

“It does?” Jaesuk asked him.

“I'm not sure.” Kwangsoo added his two cents in. They slowly started walking and looking around.

“Stay close, okay?” Sehun told Sunmi under his breath and Sunmi nodded. The group went down a flight of stairs and saw some totem poles at the base.

“The Great General Under Heaven. The Female General Under Ground.” Jongmin read.

“Hold on.” Jaesuk said, pointing to the faces on the totem poles.

“They have very sharp teeth.” Jaewook pointed out.

“Do they usually have such sharp teeth?” Jaesuk wondered out loud.

“Do they all look like that?” Kwangsoo asked.

“Do all totem poles look like that?” Jongmin asked as well.

“They don't usually look this scary.” Jaesuk admitted.

“It's spooky here.” Jongmin stated.

“I want to get out of here.” Kwangsoo said.

“Me too, oppa.” Sunmi answered.

“Let's go.” Jaesuk led the team.

“What exactly happened here?” Jaesuk asked as they saw no people ever since they got off the boat.

“After hearing the story…” Jongmin started.

“Exactly. This village seems so quiet.” Jaesuk observed.

“I see some people.” Sejeong reported.

“I see a man and a woman.” Kwangsoo pointed out.

“Ms. Kim died.” The woman told the man.

“When?” The man asked.

“Hello.” Sejeong greeted but was ignored by both of them.

“She was found dead on top of the mountain.” The woman continued telling the man.

“The nurse at the clinic?” The man clarified

“Let's go up there.” The woman suggested and the two started going up the stairs. The detectives started calling out to them but it was like they didn’t hear anything.

“Someone died?” Kwangsoo asked them but received no response as the two got farther and farther away.

“Should we go?” Sehun asked.

“A nurse?” Sejeong questioned.

“Ms. Kim… Let's follow them.” Jaewook instructed.

“Ms. Kim was found dead.” Kwangsoo recounted.

“What is going on?” Jaesuk asked everyone.

“Gosh. As soon as we arrived…” Jongmin stated.

“We just arrived. Ms. Kim, the nurse, was found dead in the mountain.” Kwangsoo stated.

“A nurse died?” Jongmin clarified.

“What is this all about?” Jaesuk was determined to know the answers. They went up the stairs

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter