(Episode 2) Chapter 9

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Let’s look up 1,000 beautiful caves.” Jongmin said and some pulled up their phones while some looked at the map Jonghyun had. Soon, Sehun and Jonghyun rejoined the group and helped in searching. Suddenly, Sejeong exclaimed.

“I found it.” She said.

“What is it?” The rest of the men asked while Sunmi just looked at her.

“Micheon Cave.” Sejeong said and realization set in Sunmi.

“Micheon Cave is home to a thousand kinds of beauties.” Sejeong narrated.

“I know where that is! I’ll drive us there! How could I forget? The only time I went there was also the only time Appa and Eomma went to Jeju with me.” She whispered the last part to herself. They all got into the car with Sunmi driving this time.

“That old woman seemed to recognize you.” Sejeong told Jonghyun.

“Seriously.” Jongmin added.

“I have never met her before.” Jonghyun denied.

“I am suspicious of you. It sounds like you are lying.” Jongmin told him.

“I believe he’s telling the truth. He doesn’t look like he’s lying.” Sunmi said as she drove and Jaewook and Sejeong laughed.

“Sunmi-ah, looks can be deceiving. Not every good-looking Oppa you see is a nice man.” Jaewook shared and Sunmi laughed.

“No, no. I don’t mean it like that. I just meant I don’t feel like he is lying when he said he’s never been here before.” Sunmi clarified to Jaewook. She then met Jonghyun’s eyes in the mirror.

“No offense, Oppa. But I think you’re more of Minyoung-unnie’s type.” She teased with a laugh and the rest of the detective team laughed at the confused Jonghyun. After a few more minutes of driving, they reached their destination.

“We’ve reached Micheon Cave.” Sunmi informed everyone as she rounded the curve and reached the parking area. She parked the car and turned the engine off.

“I have a question about the letter.” Sehun said and Jaewook answered.

“First, let’s get out of the van.” He said as his feet were cramped from sitting in the back with Jongmin.

“Was Jeonghui the rich man’s wife? Was she his girlfriend?” Sehun asked as they started getting out of the car. Jaewook waited for Sejeong to get down before putting the seat down and getting off as well.

“Jeonghui is his girlfriend, right?” Sehun asked again.

“We’re looking for the treasure Woohyun’s friend hid on Jeju Island. We found the treasure and a letter written by his friend was inside it. Jeonghui was the love of his deceased friend.” Jaewook summarized.

“That’s right.” Sehun agreed.

“I wonder where she is now. Does she know that the rich man died?” Sunmi asked out loud as they started to head towards the caves.

“Where did the letter go?” Jaewook asked Sejeong.

“It’s here.” She said as she pulled it out of her bag. Sunmi heard a tapping noise coming from somewhere. She and Jonghyun turned around and saw Jongmin still in the car. They all started laughing as Jonghyun opened the door and helped him get out.

“My goodness.” Sejeong exclaimed.

“You left me behind. I was stuck.” Jongmin accused as he got off. 

“A thousand gopdak gwee gamin, somang, ilruwajimae. So it is Micheon Cave, which is a popular tourist attraction.” Jaewook told everyone.

“Inside the cave, we will find a new clue.” Jaewook continued.

-- October 23, 2017, 03:45 PM -- 
-- Jeju Island, Micheon Cave --

The group was walking down a set of stairs towards the cave and everyone was looking around how cool it was.

“Ah, I remember this place.” Sunmi said with a fond smile on her face.

“If there is a sign, take a close look. It could be useful.” Jaewook instructed.

“What is that?” Sejeong asked as they came across a landmark.

“Is that a tower?” Jaewook asked.

“This wasn’t here the last time.” Sunmi recollected.

“It’s a wish-fulfillment tower.” Jaewook read off the sign.

“Turn left three times then turn right three times.” They all read.

“When you go to a Buddhist temple, you circle the stone tower with your hands put together.” Jaewook shared.

“Turn left three times.” Sehun read as they started going.

“Make a wish as you go.” Jongmin stated.

“What is this on the ground?” Jaewook observed. There were tiles on the ground with English letters written on them. There were 5 groups in total. 

“These are alphabets.” Jaewook told them.

“I don’t think they make up words.” Sehun concluded.

“Or you have to find a pattern to reveal the words.” Sunmi told him,

“There are five of them.” Jongmin said.

“Sunmi is right. Maybe it’s a puzzle we must solve.” Jaewook agreed with the girl.

“Hold on. Let’s make a wish first. Shouldn’t we make a wish?” Jaewook told the detectives.

“Let’s do that.” Everyone agreed.

“Let’s circle the tower thrice.” Jongmin mentioned and they all walked together to make a wish. After their first three turns, they saw a padlock with letters on it and that gave Sunmi an idea. 

“That’s it!” She said as she walked ahead of the group and turned around the stone thrice again before changing directions and going the other way thrice again. All the while, she was looking at the tiles on the floor. By that time, the other had just noticed the padlock with letters.

“These are alphabets.” Jonghyun said as he bent down to take a closer look at the lock.

“It’s a combination lock.” Sehun muttered as he watched Sunmi who was focused on her task at hand.

“I think we need to find the letters that go into the blanks.” Jaewook said as everyone started writing the letters down. Sumi finished what she was doing and tried to see if her answer worked.

“Korea.” She muttered to herself as her fingers moved to form the word, using the padlock. After she formed the word, she tried pulling on the lock and it opened.

“Oppa, it’s open!” Sunmi excitedly said and everyone ran to her side to see what was inside.

“How did you solve it?” Jaewook asked her.

“They form countries. If you read it starting from the far end and then go the other direction after circling thrice, you will get the word ‘Korea’ by filling out the blank spaces.” She told him and after looking at the tiles again, he got the idea and explained it to the others. Sunmi took the lock off and the cover fell down as well, revealing a spotlight.

“What’s that?” Jongmin shielded himself from the light. Sunmi, who was squatting to open the lock, fell on her as the light hit her eyes.

“Ahh.” She whispered as she rubbed her eyes. She could see black spots floating if she opened them. Jonghyun helped her up as Jaewook stared at where the light was aimed at. There was a rock with words engraved in it.

“Follow behind the Haeneyo with a Heobeok. The people’s teong alro will sparkle eolrang pinchik.” Sehun read out loud. Meanwhile, Sunmi saw that there we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter