(Episode 5) Chapter 22

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Once the doctor was out of sight, the four of them headed towards the clinic.

“There's a mask here too.” Jaesuk said as he entered the clinic.

“Jaesuk-hyung! His research log!” Kwangsoo said, picking up the yellow folder.

“Have a look” Jaesuk told him and Kwangsoo opened it.

“Rat. A syringe and a thermometer… He must have injected something with the syringe to the animals.” Kwangsoo stated.

“Oppa, can I see?” Sunmi asked and Kwangsoo handed the folder. She hurriedly read through it.

“He injected something. Approaching the target amount. Expecting to end research after two, three experiments. Even to the cow... The pig.” Jaesuk said, looking over Sunmi’s shoulder.

“The relationship between Dioxin and Uroporphyria.” Sunmi read.

“This doctor is really odd.” Jaesuk declared.

“Right?” Kwangsoo agreed. Sehun was looking through the medical equipment he had and Jaesuk picked up a syringe. He pressed on it and was surprised when something came out.

“Something's in it. I guess he injected this.” Kwangsoo stated, turning back to get the report when Jaesuk exclaimed.

“Ouch!”

“What happened?” Everyone was immediately on alert.

“Oh, hyung!” Kwangsoo called out worriedly.

“Oh, no.” Sehun said as he started laughing.

“Am I going to die? It says here that the cow and all of them died.” Jaesuk panicked and Sunmi and Sehun tried to contain their laughter.

“It can be contagious.” Kwangsoo panicked with him.

“The cow and me…” Jaesuk kept thinking about it. 

“Hyung!” Kwangsoo worriedly called out.

“What do I... Man. Call that doctor and tell him to come.” Jaesuk told Kwangsoo.

“We don't have time!” Kwangsoo replied.

“Call the ambulance.”

“My cell phone isn't working.”

“Oh, man.”

“Will you turn into a vampire?”

“What if I die? It says that the cow and all of them died! It really pricked me.” Jaesuk and Kwangsoo were panicking together and Sehun and Sunmi got themselves together and tried looking for alcohol or something that would comfort Jaesuk.

“There is a disinfectant.” Sehun said, pulling out a few pads.

“Use that.” Kwangsoo told Jaesuk.

“Thanks.” Jaesuk thanked him.

“Sehun, Sunmi, you guys are very calm in a situation like this. Kwang-soo just makes a fuss about it.” Jaesuk commented which made everyone laugh. Once Jaesuk felt calm enough, they continued the investigation.

“There is something in the syringe. What is this white thing on the tip?” Jaesuk asked them.

“Yes, it's on this one too. It seems like it was injected somewhere.” Sehun observed.

“Yes, you're right.” Jaesuk agreed.

“What's this white thing?” Kwangsoo asked. 

“It looks like salt, though? But I can’t be too sure.” Sunmi observed.

“He must have injected it deeply into something.” Jaesuk guessed, putting the syringe back before panicking again.

“What if I really die? Give me another alcohol swab.” He asked Sehun.

“One isn't enough. Damn.” Jaesuk stated.

“Here’s a bandaid as well, Oppa.” Sunmi said, pulling out 2 strips.

“You won't turn into a vampire, will you? If so, you should just--” Kwangsoo started telling him.

“If I become a vampire, I'll bite you first.” Jaesuk declared.

“Why me?” Kwangsoo asked, in disbelief.

“I'm going to bite you first.” Jaesuk just repeated.

“It's smaller in here than I expected.” Sunmi suddenly said as she looked around the clinic. The building looked bigger when you looked at it from the outside.

“You're right. It's big on the outside. Why is it so small?” Jaesuk realized. His eyes then fell to the mask on the wall.

“This mask doesn't have teeth.” Both he and Kwangsoo said at the same time. Sehun and Sunmi came to take a closer look.

“This mask doesn't have any teeth.” Jaesuk told them.

“What?” Sehun and Sunmi were confused. Jaesuk started touching the mask and the wall behind it opened.

“There is something here. I didn't do anything.” Jaesuk stated.

“What's in there?” Kwangsoo asked. Sehun swung the wall so it opened wider.

“What is it?” Sehun asked Jaesuk who was at the entrance.

“There is a secret space here.” Jaesuk reported. All four of them walk inside.

“Man.” Jaesuk commented as he saw the objects inside the room.

“It is him.” Sehun concluded as he looked at the notes Haejin wrote on the board.

“Gums and fangs.” Jaesuk read when the wall panel made a sound and closed itself.

“Oh, my gosh.” Kwangsoo said.

“What was that?” Jaesuk questioned.

“Oh, man. It's locked.” Sehun answered.

“Why won't this work? How… Come on.” Jaesuk started fiddling with the keypad on the side but the door still wouldn’t open.

“We need the code.” Sunmi stated.

“We're in trouble.” Jaesuk said.

“Oh, no.” Sunmi reacted.

“We always get locked in.” Sehun mentioned.

“I know.” Jaesuk agreed. Sunmi was looking through the doctor’s belongings when she saw someone familiar in a picture frame.

“Isn't this K?” Sunmi asked as she held it up for everyone to see. The men gathered around to take a look.

“It's K.” Jaesuk and Kwangsoo said.

“Who is this man?” Kwangsoo pointed to the other adult male in the picture.

“His father and the doctor.” Sehun pointed out.

“The three generations.” Jaesuk realized.

“I see.” Kwangsoo stated.

“What's Porphyria?” Jaesuk wondered out loud.

“I don’t know the specifics, but it’s some sort of deficiency that leads to a sun allergy.” Sunmi recounted. Jaesuk found the complete meaning in a book.

“Porphyria is a disorder in which a deficiency of enzymes…” He stopped reading when Kwangsoo blocked the light.

“I can't read.” He told the man.

“I am sorry. You are as sensitive as the villagers.” Kwangsoo commented.

“A deficiency… Severe hemolytic anemia and malformation of red blood cells… Severe hemolytic anemia… You lack blood when you have anemia, right?” Jaesuk asked.

“That's right.” Sunmi confirmed.

“That's why… vampires drink blood.” Jaesuk stated.

“They lack blood.” Kwangsoo realized.

“That's right.” Jaesuk declared.

“Is this what they mean by vampires? Porphyria? Is the village doctor… a vampire?” Jaesuk shared his thoughts.

“He might come back. We must open the door.” Kwangsoo said and checked out the coffin-like structure in the room. He was shocked when it opened to reveal a skeleton inside. He screamed in surprise.
  
“Holy crap!” Everyone turned to see the skeleton.

“What? For goodness' sake.” Kwangsoo was still in a state of shock.

“That startled me.” Sunmi whispered.

“What is up with this man?” Jaesuk ranted.

“I can't move my legs.” Kwangsoo said and Sunmi immediately went near him to comfort him.

“It’s okay, oppa.” She said in a soothing tone. Jaesuk approached the skeleton.

“There is something inside.” He said as he pulled something out of its mouth.

“Hyung.” Sehun called out, reminding him to be careful.

“Why is there a screw?” Jaesuk said as he held up the object.

“Maybe the screw goes in somewhere.” Sehun asked as he came closer to take a look.

“Is Sunmi literally the only one worried about me?” Kwangsoo su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter