(Episode 10) Chapter 45

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After a few moments, Jaesuk and Kwangsoo made it back to their respective wings. Jaesuk was currently checking on his book. Suddenly, they heard screams from the other side of the wall.

“What's happening over there?” Jaesuk said with a laugh as he continued to scan the book.

“Hold on. Why aren't the pages numbered? What do you think that means?” He wondered out loud.

“Do the books mean something?” Kwangsoo asked.

“I think they do. Since the pages aren’t numbered, and since the only clue we have is the word PAGE, I think we have to count all of them and add the totals so we can get the passcode to open that tablet.” Sunmi suggested.

“That could be it.” Jaesuk agreed.

“I think that's the answer. Because they aren't numbered… One, two, three, four, five, six. We have to count them.” Sehun added.

“Let's count the pages, then.” Jaesuk told everyone. Sehun turned and immediately started counting the pages of the book in front of him, so did Jaesuk. Kwangsoo was observing, still a bit out of it due to the cold bath he experienced but he saw Sunmi having a hard time reaching for the book.

“Can you pull it down for me, oppa? Thank you.” Sunmi said as Kwangsoo pulled it down for her.

“Let’s start counting.” Jaesuk instructed.

“One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven… Gosh. Twelve.” Jaesuk was the only one counting out loud and he was distracted by the platform tipping.

“Seriously!” He called out to Kwangsoo.

“Hold on.” Kwangsoo tried to defend himself.

“I got confused because of you.” Jaesuk accused.

“The book is right here.” Kwangsoo pointed to the book which was a bit out of his reach.

“There, try now.” Jaesuk said as he grabbed onto the pole in the middle.

“Kwangsoo-hyung needs to reach it.” Sehun stated as he tried to help Kwangsoo reach the book. There wasn’t much he could do however as he wasn’t standing on the opposite side. Kwangsoo tried to jump up to reach it, only to end up diving in the cold murky water again.

“Gosh, seven…” Jaesuk cried out as he felt the platform tip and he lost his balance, almost falling in, if it wasn’t for Sehun who grabbed him.

“That moron.” Jaesuk commented as Kwangsoo kept screaming because of the cold.

“Kwangsoo, that idiot. Jeez, he's a total idiot. What is wrong with you?” Jaesuk said again as he regained his balance and footing on the platform.

“Oppa, are you okay?” Sunmi called out to him.

“What's with you?” Jaesuk kept asking him.

“I'm dying here.” Kwangsoo told them.

“Get back up.” Jaesuk instructed and Kwangsoo tried to get himself together before jumping back onto the platform.

“Come up more. Good.” Sehun told him.

“First, we should… count your pages, Sunmi-ah. Let's all count. We need to figure out how many pages there are.” Jaesuk told them.

“I'm going to jump.” Kwangsoo warned.

“No, not yet. It's not necessary now. You can count yours after.” Jaesuk told him as he counted the pages in his book as quickly as possible.

“Mine has 34 pages.” He said after a few minutes.

“Mine has 61 pages.” Sunmi stated.

“That means our books have 95 pages in total.” Jaesuk did the maths.

“Sehun is almost done too.” Kwangsoo pointed out.

“Mine has 53 pages.” Sehun finished.

“It has 53 pages?” Jaesuk asked.

“Then the total is 148 so far.” Sunmi let them know.

“Is it 148?” Jaesuk clarified and Sehun nodded. This time, they were trying to help Kwangsoo reach his book.

“Good. Keep it balanced.” Jaesuk commented. Kwangsoo slowly tried to grab the book and pull it to him only to end up falling down the water again, tipping over Jaesuk as well.

“Man, come on! Come on!” Jaesuk complained as he climbed out of the water.

“I'm really done.” Kwangsoo told them.

“Get over here!” Jaesuk called out to him.

“I'm done! I can't do it!” Kwangsoo said as he started running away from Jaesuk. 

“Get over here! Get over here! You little... Hey! You jerk! What do you think you're doing?” Jaesuk angrily said to him.

“What is this? Poop?” Kwangsoo asked as he noticed a weird substance on his hand.

“Get over here now! Let's do this, so we can get out!” Jaesuk called out to him so they could finally get out of the room. Kwangsoo did as he was asked and they were back on the platform once again.

“Let's do this!” Jaesuk cheered as Kwangsoo slowly started walking towards the last book again.

“Wait, should I go back?” Jaesuk asked and Sunmi nodded at him.

“I'm going to jump.” Kwangsoo let them know. A few moments later, he tried to jump up and reach the book.

“It's okay. I'll balance it from here.” Jaesuk told him.

“I'll use both of my hands.” Kwangsoo said as he jumped once more and grabbed the book.

“Got it!” He cried out.

“You got it. Okay. Good.” Jaesuk complimented.

“Sunmi-ah, hold it.” Kwangsoo instructed. Sunmi knows that she shouldn’t as her moving would mean tipping over the platform. 

“Oppa, no. You have to count it like that or we’ll tip over and you might fall again.” She advised and Kwangsoo nodded, counting the book on his own instead.

“It’s 58.” He said as he let the book go and grabbed on to the pole as fast as he could.

“That’s 206 in total. It must be 0206.” Sunmi guessed. They had Jaesuk and Kwangsoo get off the platform at the same time, which brought the extended walkway back up. Sunmi and Sehun looked at each other, both holding on to the pole.

“On three. 1, 2, 3.” Sunmi counted and on three, they both let go of the pole and ran to each end of their wing before jumping off and back to the walkway.

“It's 206. Zero, two, zero, six.” Jaesuk reminded Sunmi who was in front of the group.

“Zero, two, zero, six.” Sunmi tried but there was an error.

“That wasn't it? I guess I made a mistake in counting.” Kwangsoo stated.

“Let's try going up and down one number.” Sunmi suggested.

“Then. Zero, two, zero, seven.” Jaesuk told her and she inputted the numbers. Luckily, it unlocked this time.

“It worked!” She happily said as the door opened.

“It worked! We did it!” Kwangsoo cheered in relief.

“We're getting out. We're finally getting out.” Jaesuk told Kwangsoo.

“Goodness.” Sehun commented as he gathered everyone’s things and handed them out.

“Let's go.” Kwangsoo said as he entered the next room.

“What is this?” Sehun said as he followed everyone else.

“What? You scared me!” Sunmi heard someone say as Jaesuk opened the door in front of him.

“You're here.” Minyoung stated.

“That's not the point.” Jaesuk said.

“Why are you so late? We finished so quickly.” Jongmin boasted.

“You're soaking wet.” Jaewook pointed to Kwangsoo.

“Completely soaked. It was no joke.” Kwangsoo dejectedly said, looking down at his wet clothes.

“What is this anyway?” Jaesuk asked the other team. 

“Jaesuk-oppa, when we entered the first room, there was a doormat and a goat was on it.” Minyoung recounted.

“Capricorn.” Sunmi commented.

“Jaesuk-hyung, there was a woman on our doormat.” Sehun recalled.

“Yes.” Jaesuk agreed.

“Virgo!” Sejeong stated.

“Right! Sunmi said they were constellations.” Kwangsoo stated.

“We had this on our wall.” Minyoung said as she acted out a bow and arrow.

“A bow and arrow.” Sejeong added.

“That’s Sagittarius. We had a scale. Libra.” Sunmi called out.

“That's right. Ours was Libra.” Kwangsoo recalled.

“What is this, then?” Jaesuk asked, looking at the cloth covered floor when all of a sudden, a mechanism activated.

“What's that?” The detectives looked up and realized the ceiling was slowly coming down.

“The room is shrinking! The ceiling is coming down.” Sejeong pointed out.

“It's coming down.” The others called out.

“ Oh, yes. It keeps coming down.” Jaesuk agreed.

“It's coming down?” Sehun couldn’t really see properly.

“We have to hurry up!” Kwangsoo was panicking as he was the tallest.

“We have to hurry and find it.” Jaesuk said, not really knowing what ‘it’ was.

“Why is there a bicycle?” Sejeong asked.

“Why is the bicycle here?” Minyoung asked as well.

“Try spinning it. Maybe something will happen.” Kwangsoo suggested.

“Does it generate power?” Sejeong asked.

“It's not working.” Minyoung told them.

“No. Something about this.” Sehun pointed to the bar panel that said off.

“What is this, now?” Jaesuk complained.

“We have to fill it. Keep going.” Kwangsoo told Minyoung.

“Good job, Minyoung! You're fast!” He complimented as Minyoung cycled and the bar panel charged itself.

“It has to reach the top.” Kwangsoo instructed Minyoung.

“It has to go to the top.” He repeated to the others.

“Oh, I see.” Jaesuk said as he realized what was happening.

“You can do it, unnie.” Sunmi cheered.

“Oh, it's on! It's on right now. What is it?” Kwangsoo asked as he looked around.

“Do we look for ‘ON’?” Minyoung asked.

“Minyoung... What's that?” Kwangsoo was about to say something but was distracted by the ceiling moving down again.

“What do these panels do?” Sunmi asked as she pointed to the six panels on two sides of the room, three across each other. Kwangsoo looked at it before speaking up.

“Minyoung, how about this? Make ‘ON’ with this?” 

“Do we have to make "ON"?” Minyoung asked again.

“We did something like this before.” Jaewook pointed to the panels.

“Yes, we did.” Jaesuk agreed as he remembered.

“This one too. You remove it like this and insert it.” Jaewook said as he pulled out one of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter