(Episode 4) Chapter 18

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You were here that day.” Jaewook asked Gongmyung as the four of them walked towards where the Kayaking Competition was held.

“On the 22nd, I had a Kayaking Competition here. I won an award.” He mentioned as he showed them the time board that was there.

“What’s the name you used?” Sunmi asked him.

“Is This Speed For Real.” Gongmyung answered and the detectives could see his name in the first place.

“‘Is This Speed For Real’ in the first place is you.” Sejeong observed.

“Yes.” Gongmyung confirmed.

“Well, we can always test it out to see if he really is as fast as his record says.” Sunmi suggested and Sejeong and Jaewook agreed. Since Sunmi couldn’t paddle due to her shoulder, she rode on Gongmyung’s boat.

“Jaewook-oppa, Sejeong-unnie, fighting!” Sunmi cheered her team on from the other boat.

“This is the only way we will know.” Jaewook said.

“Shall we go?” Gongmyung asked the other boat.

“Let’s go.” Jaewook answered and their race began. Gongmyung began paddling with ease, laughing a bit at Jaewook and Sejeong who were struggling. Pretty soon, he overtook them and picked up his speed. Sunmi was having the time of her life. She was laughing at her unnie and oppa on the other boat.

“The direction changes quickly.” She heard Jaewook say and she looked behind her to see them going in a zigzag formation. She started laughing again.

“Why can’t we go straight?” Sunmi heard Jaewook say. After a while, she watched as Sejeong and Jaewook veered off course again.

“Unnie, oppa, where are you guys going?” She called out and watched as they almost crashed into a paddleboat.

“Are you okay?” Gongmyung asked them as he watched while they almost crashed into the wall as well, using their paddles to get out of the danger zone.

“Hey, wait for us!” Sejeong called out to the other boat.

“He’s really good at this. He’s fast even if there’s someone else on the boat with him.” Jaewook complimented.

“He’s a kayak athlete.” Sejeong declared. Sunmi couldn’t hear any more as Gongmyung sped up to the finish line when it started raining hard. Because of that, Sunmi didn’t get wet in the rain much. 

She waited with Gongmyung on land for her teammates. After a few more minutes, Sejeong and Jaewook arrived, both soaking wet.

“Oppa, unnie, here are towels.” Sunmi said as she gave them one each.

“Well, we verified his record and speed. I guess he isn’t the killer.” Jaewook declared, exhausted. Sunmi turned to Gongmyung who was looking at them.

“Thank you for your time, Gongmyung-ah. We will call you if we have further questions. Also, please let us know if you receive another text from Yoonha.” Sunmi said as she handed him a piece of paper with her number on it. Gongmyung bowed to them and went on his way. 

Sunmi walked with Sejeong and Jaewook back to the Table Tennis Academy. Once there, Jaewook collapsed on the couch, energy spent.

“His alibi checks out.” Sejeong was just as exhausted as Jaewook was.

“Yes.” Jaewook tiredly said.

“Right? I really hope there is an alibi that doesn't check out.” Sejeong made small talk as she didn’t want to feel sleepy.

“Right. It will be bad if all their alibis are solid. We’d be back to square one.” Sunmi answered. She then heard a sound and saw that Jongmin and Kwangsoo were back.

“You are back.” Sejeong tiredly greeted them.

“What did you find?” Jongmin asked.

“Why are you wet?” Kwangsoo added.

“Why are you wet?” Jongmin repeated.

“What happened?” Kwangsoo asked.

“Did someone throw water at you?” Jongmin asked the three.

“Was Gongmyung there?” Kwangsoo asked again.

“I think he did.” Sejeong answered.

“Jaesuk, Minyoung, and Sehun are coming this way, right?” Jaewook asked.

“Yes.” Kwangsoo and Jongmin confirmed.

“I will tell you then.” Jaewook declared.

“You don't want to repeat yourself.” Sunmi laughed.

“The information you have can't be that important.” Kwangsoo reasoned.

“They will ask once they get here.” Jaewook predicted.

“You are back.” They heard Jaewook say as he entered the premises.

“Welcome.” Sejeong and Sunmi greeted them.

“Did you find anything?” He asked, just as Jaewook predicted.

“It's no joke.” Jongmin said as Jaesuk asked that question.

“You were rained on.” Jaesuk said as he pointed at Jaewook and Sejeong.

“We were rained on.” Jaewook confirmed.

“I will talk you through this. Gongmyung had a kayaking competition that day.” Jaewook began saying.

“We actually kayaked. The two of us kayaked against Gongmyung.” He continued, pertaining to him and Sejeong.

“What was Sunmi doing, then?” Kwangsoo asked, pointing to the girl who wasn’t as wet as her companions.

“I rode with Gongmyung.” She said with a laugh.

“He was still fast even if Sunmi was in his Kayak and wasn’t rowing.” Sejeong shared.

“The important thing is that Gongmyung participated in the contest and they checked the scoreboard. So his alibi checks out.” Jaesuk declared.

“Maybe you two were just bad at it.” Kwangsoo suggested.

“Just tell us about the others.” Jaewook said, ignoring Kwangsoo’s question.

“We…” Kwangsoo started saying.

“Where did you go?” Jaewook asked, trying to remember.

“Trampolines. That sounds fun.” Sejeong supplied the information.

“They weren't the fun kind of trampolines.” Kwangsoo informed her.

“Really?” Sejeong asked and Kwangsoo nodded.

“Are those the trampolines you jump repeatedly to a certain routine?” Sunmi asked them, there were times her mom would go with friends and take her. Kwangsoo nodded and she laughed because she knew how exhausting they could get.

“So, did you get anything?” Jaesuk asked the pair.

“We found a woman who was at the center on the 22nd. But she said there was a blackout.” Kwangsoo explained.

“A blackout?” Sunmi asked.

“A blackout.” Jongmin confirmed.

“But during that time, one of them disappeared and reappeared later. It could have been enough time to commit the crime and come back.” Kwangsoo deduced, seeing as the Trampoline Center was closest to the crime scene.

“But the woman has no idea who left and came back during the blackout?” Jaewook asked.

“She said someone jumped really high and did five foot-claps.” Sejeong and Sunmi laughed, imagining that scenario during a blackout.

“But…” Kwangsoo started saying.

“But what?” Jaewook asked.

“You mean she heard the sound during the blackout?” Sejeong cleared up.

“You made them do that?” Jaewook asked them.

“She said the clapping sounds were loud and clear.” Jongmin supplied.

“During the blackout?” Sejeong asked.

“Yes, she heard it then.” Jongmin answered.

“It was like that with us.” Jaesuk informed the rest of the team.

“During the blackout?” Jaewook asked.

“We went to a karaoke with Yooil and Taeoh, those two kids.” Jaesuk recounted.

“Right.” The detectives nodded.

“You know the guy who worked at the catering company? He was working there too.” Jaesuk informed.

“The blond guy?” Kwangsoo asked.

“Yes.” Jaesuk answered.

“Ah, Kangbuk.” Sumi recalled.

“My cheek still hurts where he slapped me.” Kwangsoo said.

“Oppa, that was about a month ago.” Sunmi laughed.

“He remembers all the customers, and he remembered Taeoh, but he couldn't remember Yooil.” Jaesuk narrated.

“Then it's not Taeoh for sure.” Kwangsoo concluded.

“But Yooil said that he really went there. He said he wrote something on the wall. So we looked all over the room and found it.” Jaesuk said,

“You found it?” Sejeong asked and Jaesuk confirmed.

“Yes.”

“It was there, just as he said. So according to our investigation, Yooil should be exempt from being a suspect.” Jaesuk concluded.

“But!” Jaesuk said and Sehun picked up.

“But Taeoh was...a bit strange.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter