(Episode 9) Chapter 43

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oppa, what are we going to do? You’re not going to betray the team, right?” Sunmi asked as they climbed up a set of stairs. She stuck closer to him, feeling a bit scared.

“Sunmi-ah, trust your oppa. I won’t let anything happen to you.” Yeonseok told her as she clung to his coat and they arrived at the second floor and walked towards the shop the blackmailer pointed to.

“Welcome. You brought the microchip, right?” The man greeted them as they stood at the entrance. Sunmi and Yeonseok looked at him with anger as Yeonseok placed Sunmi a bit behind him.

“Don't look at me like that. I had no choice.” The man told them.

“All right. Now, give me the microchip.” He ordered and Sunmi shook her head at Yeonseok, finding the courage to stand by his side instead of behind him.

“I don't know. I don't think we can give it to you so easily.” Yeonseok .

“The last file that will fix the error of Project D is in that microchip. I need it to be free. Give it to me.” The man ordered again.

“No.” Sunmi answered him this time.

“Fine. I knew you guys wouldn't give it to me so easily. Are you expecting those silly detectives to come to your rescue?” The man asked them.

“Who in the world are you?” Yeonseok asked him but he didn’t pay attention to the question.

“Okay. You probably figured out only one of us men can walk out of this alive at this point. Okay. I suggest that we play a fun game. It's called ‘The Drink of Death.’” The man introduced the game.

“Here are four columns of three glasses. One of these glasses contains poison. Here are 49 cells. Place the set of glasses on the cells of your choice. We take turns to pick a number. If a glass is on the corresponding cell, drink the content. If you drink poison, you die on the spot. Doesn't it sound fun?” The man asked Yeonseok.

“If I win, will the team be safe? Will Sunmi be free?” Yeonseok asked him.

“Yes. Place the drinks wherever you want.” The man instructed Yeonseok and Sunmi stood behind Yeonseok, watching him place the glasses on the different cells.

“If I get heads, you go first. If I get tails, I go first.” The man said as he flipped a coin.

“Heads. You go first.” The man said once he showed what he got.

“Okay. Shall we begin?” Yeonseok asked him.

“Yes.” The man answered.

“D four.”

“There is no glass on the corresponding cell.”

“Okay.” Yeonseok said as he marked the spot white.

“It's my turn. F four.”

“There is no glass.”

“I thought you would have a glass there. How unfortunate.” The man said as he marked the spot.

“Now, B five.” 

“Gosh.” The man reacted and Yeonseok started clapping, thinking that there was a glass.

“I thought you were a pretty well-made test subject. There is no glass.” The man revealed.

“No?” Yeonseok asked, a bit shocked.

“Two. Two. The number is two. C.” The man said and Sunmi nervously looked at Yeonseok as there was a drink there. Yeonseok drank it with a little hesitation.

“Thankfully, it’s not poison.” He told the man as he showed the empty glass.

“It's your turn.” The man started saying but Yeonseok cut him off.
“Hold on. What did you do with the detectives?” Yeonseok asked him again.

“They are failures. You don't need to worry about them. Now, only one of us will remain. Only the successful one will remain. Sunmi’s freedom depends on this as well. Is it my turn?” The man asked and the game went on. Sunmi’s brain started calculating the different possibilities.

“It’s our turn. I choose B7.” Yeonseok answered.

“Still no glass, are you sure the chip still works for you, Yeonseok?” The man insulted. Yeonseok didn’t say anything and just marked the cell.

“C4.” The man told Yeonseok.

“There’s nothing there. I pick D7.” Yeonseok bragged and then chose a cell.

“Still nothing. Why don’t we have Subject 1 try the next few turns?” He suggested.

“I have a name you know.” Sunmi answered him, annoyed.

“You didn’t have one at the lab. Everyone called you Subject 1.” The man told her, hinting that he knew all about her time with Project D.

“Anyways, I pick C3.” The man continued but Yeonseok shrugged at him.

“What’s it going to be, Subject 1?” The man asked Sunmi as she looked at the board in front of her and Yeonseok for possibilities.

“A3.” She decided to start from the top row and work her way down.

“Nothing. E2.” The man replied.

“No glass. Sunmi, pick anot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter