(Episode 3) Chapter 13

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“This is nice.” Sehun said out loud as he felt the cool breeze blowing. They went down a ramp with Jaewook in the lead and Sehun following after him. Sunmi was scared she would slip so she held onto Sehun’s jacket instead of the railings.

“Hello.” Jaewook greeted the man on the boat and he greeted back.

“We would like to take a boat to go fishing.” Jaewook requested.

“Sure.” The man ushered them into the boat.

“Really? But there aren’t any fishing tools or equipment here.” Jaewook observed.

“With the bamboo fishing rod, you can catch anything. All the fish here.” The man explained.

“Really?” Jaewook clarified.

“Yes.” The man answered.

“This is a very traditional method.” Jaewook said with a laugh. Then, he looked at the two who were with him.

“You two are dressed perfectly for fishing.” He teased and they all laughed.

“The leather will do great with salt water.” He added, referring to his jacket.

“Let’s head out. Let’s hurry up and catch them.” Jaewook suggested and everyone agreed. They wore life vests and headed out to the middle of the water. Once they were in the middle of the body of water, Jaewook started explaining what to do. Sunmi, who had already done this before, asked the owner of the boat questions.

“Excuse me, how big are the fishes here? Is this where the restaurants on the bay get their fish?” She asked. The man showed her how big the fish usually were and confirmed that the restaurants usually bought what he caught.

“Sunmi-ah, we’re starting. Do you already know how to?” Jaewook asked her as he and Sehun were about to drop their lines in the water.

“Yes, oppa. I do.” Sunmi answered him before she thanked the owner and made her way to the bamboo fishing rod. She meticulously placed a worm in it.

“Oh, they’re healthy. This is nice.” She muttered to herself. 

She could hear Jaewook teaching Sehun in the background. As he was talking about fishing not about checking with the eyes, Sunmi dropped her line on the other side of the boat. It wasn’t even 3 minutes later that she felt a bite in her line. She pulled it in without a sound as Jaewook and Sehun were still immersed in listening to the sound of the ocean or something along those lines. It was a little bit bigger than her palm and Sunmi smiled as she took it out of the hook and placed it on the bucket beside her. She placed another worm in her hook and cast it out again. After a few more minutes, she had just placed her third fish in the basket and was about to put a worm on her string again, when she heard noises coming from the men behind her.

“There it is. You got it!” She heard Sehun and she turned around to see Jaewook catch a tiny fish. Sehun was amazed by it.

“I caught it. Okay.” He said as he placed the fish inside a bucket.

“Sehun-ah, Sunmi-ah, the owner didn’t mention the size earlier, right?” He asked.

“No, he didn’t. He just said 12 fish.” Sehun told him.

“As long as you can cook and eat it, I guess?” Sunmi shrugged.

“How are you holding up so far? Did you catch anything?” Jaewook teased Sunmi as he tried to peek into the bucket beside her. Sunmi stopped him from coming near.

“I’ll show you later.” Sunmi told him with a smile and Jaewook moved on to Sehun.

“Did you see that, Sehun-ah? It’s simple.” He bragged and it triggered Sehun’s competitiveness.

“Now I know the feeling. You want to know it too, right?” He added with a laugh.

“I want to catch one.” Sehun stated. After a bit, there was a commotion from the men again.

“It’s big!” Sehun declared.

“It nibbled.” He added after a while.

“You making noise is scaring them away, oppa.” Sunmi . He started making noise again as he pulled his line out of the water.

“You caught one! That’s it!” Jaewook encouraged and Sunmi turned back to see. ‘At least it was bigger than what Jaewook-oppa first caught.’ She thought to herself.

“Grab the line.” Jaewook instructed.

“Oh, good. You’re a fast learner. I knew it.” He complimented him then looked at Sunmi who had been silent this whole time.

“Have you caught one yet, Sunmi? Do you need any help?” He and she laughed while shaking her head.

“No thank you, oppa.” She answered.

“It’s a big one!” Jaewook called out all of a sudden.

“Don’t you think the one that I caught is bigger?” Jaewook said as he struggled to hold the line.

“But it is different from what we expect to see in a fish tank. Do we deep fry these?” Jaewook asked as he dropped his second catch into the bucket.

“We got it! We figured it out!” Jaewook said as he placed another worm in the hook and cast his line again. Sunmi had to laugh at each time the men caught a fish. They had the best reactions and they were too busy being excited themselves to pay attention to her. She knew that the owner wouldn’t be satisfied with the size of the fish they caught. She had to make up for them. Good thing she was a lucky fisherman.

After another 45 minutes, the men had finally caught 13 fish. There were actually 15 in total as Sunmi had caught 2 small ones that she placed into the bucket as well. The boys thought that it was all she caught. They headed back for land and once they got there, they removed their life vests and gathered their belongings. Sunmi grabbed two buckets, a red and a blue one. Both of them had a cover. The three detectives stood at the ramp area, facing the owner of the boat to thank him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter