(Episode 1) Chapter 2

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunmi went near the body and tried checking for a pulse just in case. When she found none, she picked up a tablecloth from one of the catering tables and was about to cover M’s body with it when Kwangsoo took the cloth from her and started doing it himself.

“I’m sure you’re all new to this kind of case but, you can’t just touch it like that.” Jaesuk told Kwangsoo. Who stood up and started complaining.

“Who are you to… Wait.” Kwangsoo was supposed to question Jaesuk when Yeonseok started pulling him away.

“Mr. Kwangsoo, you stepped on Mr. M’s blood puddle.” Sunmi pointed out as she saw his bloody footprints.

“Hey! How dare you damage the crime scene! Get out!” Jaesuk scolded.

“I just… Excuse me?” Kwangsoo couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

“Do you want to solve this case or not?” Jaesuk asked him.

“Your footsteps are everywhere now.” Jongmin pointed out.

“A person died, can’t you see? This is a murder!” Jaesuk gestured to M’s dead body.

“Who do you think you are? Who died and made you boss?” Kwangsoo asked him.

“Okay, can everyone please just calm down so we can start to think about who did this to M?” Sunmi said as she stepped in between the two men, careful not to step on M’s blood.

“The problem is, besides the story about K and K’s assistant C…” Jaewook started talking but Yeonseok cut him off, getting the gist of what he was saying.

“No, he said there would be a victim.” He started saying.

“He also said the game would start with a certain sound.” Minyoung continued.

“He told us not to worry because no one is actually going to die.” Jaesuk added.

“He said it was just a game, but a real murder has occurred.” Jaesuk told everyone.

“What really surprised me was, I looked at my invitation just now, and it said that I’m the culprit.” Jongmin admitted.

“Wait, then it’s over. You’re the culprit.” Jaesuk told him. It was a little chaotic as everyone crowded around Jongmin and accused him of being the culprit.

“Arrest him! Handcuff him!” Kwangsoo said.

“But I didn’t kill him.” Jongmin told everyone.

“But you said you’re the culprit.” Jaesuk replied.

“Yes. And? That’s what my invitation said.”Jongmin supplied, trying to explain his innocence.

“So you are the culprit!” Jaesuk accused. Sunmi was confused because she was thinking that Jongmin was supposed to be the culprit of the game they were supposed to play, not the culprit who killed M in real life. She was about to speak out about it but Sehun beat her to it.

“But he said that the culprit was for the game.” He declared.

“Yes. So, he was supposed to be the culprit in the game, not the real killer.” Sunmi helped.

“Right. Yes!” Jongmin agreed with the two youngsters.

“But the one who ran away is the actual murderer.” Sehun deducted.

“There’s a big possibility. But we don’t know that yet.” Sunmi was taught never to assume something without evidence.

“Where do you think he shot from?” Jaesuk asked everyone.

“The sound came from above.” Jongmin answered.

“Maybe he shot him from the catering truck and ran away.” Yeonseok supplied.

“But look, none of the windows are broken.” Minyoung stated and everyone agreed. Sunmi turned back to the body and tried to carefully look for more clues, like a wallet or a phone; anything that could give them information as to who might have killed him. Sehun noticed and helped her carefully turn him a bit so they could check his back pockets.

“He has a cellphone here.” Sehun pointed it out to everyone.

“Why don’t we look through it.” Sunmi said as she carefully took the phone out of M’s pocket. Everyone approached the two youngest detectives and complimented them. Kwangsoo took the phone from Sunmi and started fiddling with it, trying to figure out how to open it.

“How do we…” Yeonseok was saying as Kwangsoo bit off the tip of his glove and pulled to remove it from his hands. He accidentally lost his grip and ended up banging his hand on the podium. It made everyone laugh at him and his clumsiness.

“I almost lost my tooth!” Kwangsoo said.

“What are you doing?” Jaesuk asked him while trying his best not to laugh.

“Both of you are just…” He trailed off as he gestured towards Jongmin and Kwangsoo.

“He’s quite extraordinary.” Jongmin said as he ignored the fact that Jaesuk was talking about him as well.

“Password?”

“You need a password?” Yeonseok and Kwangsoo were looking at the phone, still trying to get it open.

“Wait, doesn’t this have that pupil thing?” Kwangsoo asked as he took the phone from Yeonseok’s hands.

“Iris. It’s an iris scanner, not a pupil scanner.” Jaesuk said. Kwangsoo approached M’s dead body and was about to open the white cloth when Sunmi stopped him.

“Mr. Kwangsoo, what are you doing?” She called out and Jaesuk stopped him from disturbing M’s dead body.

“He’s dead, his eyes are closed!” Jongmin told him. Yeonseok took the phone back from him and studied it once again.

“What... Is this recording?” He gestured to an icon on the screen.

“If you say the right thing then it’ll open.” Sehun informed them.

“Since he was M, he told us all these worlds that start with M.” Yeonseok started.

“You’re right!” Kwangsoo reacted.

“Why don’t we use those words to try and unlock it?” Yeonseok continued.

“Mystery. Murder.” Minyoung supplied.

“I’ll try ‘Murder’.” Yeonseok said and everyone waited to see what would happen.

“Murder.” He spoke into the phone.

“No, it didn’t work.” He said after the device informed him that it was still locked. Everyone then started taking a turn to see if they could open the phone. Jaewook even ended up barking into the phone. They all laughed at that once again.

“Wait, hold on. We shouldn’t just stand here. Let’s go check out the surroundings.” Jaesuk suggested and they all began splitting up for clues. Sunmi ended up going with Jaesuk, Kwangsoo, and Jaewook. They searched the first floor of the hall and found nothing. Sunmi had figured out how to open the glass doors that led outside.

“Oppa, I opened it.” Sunmi told Jaesuk and they made their way outside. Sunmi spotted something lying on the ground and she approached it.

“Oh!” Jaesuk saw the same thing and went ahead of Sunmi to check.

“Hyung, gun! It’s a gun!” Kwangsoo, who had followed Jaesuk, called out.

“Hold on!” Jaesuk told

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter