(Episode 2) Chapter 10

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“He is your father, right?” Jaesuk confirmed.

“To be honest, it did occur to me, but I was never sure that he was my father.” Jonghyun explained.

“It wasn’t until we found the letter with your mom’s name and that lady said she’s seen you before that you had your answer, right?” Sunmi had collected herself and joined the group again, pretending as nothing happened.

“I came to Jeju Island for this. Now that I found it, I am happy.” Jonghyun nodded at her.

“Wait a second. Director asked us to give him a call.” Jaesuk reminded the team.

“That’s right.” Jongmin agreed.

“That’s right. This is the treasure.” Kwangsoo said, pointing to the book safe that Jaesuk was holding.

“Don’t call him.” Suro suggested.

“The thing is, we think he is the prime suspect in Jeongsik’s muder.” Jaesuk let the other team know.

“He has no idea that we found Jeongsik’s body. We only found his body thanks to the address he sent, to Mr. Joo.” Kwangsoo added.

“In that case…” Jaesuk began.

“Call him.” Suro changed his mind.

“Let’s pretend we don’t know anything. Let’s just say we found the treasure.” Jaesuk suggested.

“Right.” Minyoung agreed.

“The call is going through.” Jongmin narrated.

“Did he pick up?” Jaewook asked.

“Ask him about the password.” Minyoung told Jaesuk. After a few rings, he picked up.

“Hello.”

“Director.” Jaesuk was the one who spoke for the team.

“Yes.” 

“This is the detective team. We found the treasure.” He informed the director.

“Really? Congratulations. You are a talented team of detectives.” The director sounded really happy on the phone.

“Where should we go?” 

“There is a gym. Let’s meet there.”

“There are two people who aided us in finding the treasure.”

“Really?”

“Can they come with us?”

“No. Only the eight detectives who were here in the morning are allowed to come. ” He instructed.

“Alright. We will be on our way.”

“Okay.” Once the call was placed down, they all tried to formulate a plan.

“Jonghyun and I can work with the police and bring them to your meeting area.” Suro suggested as they all walked back towards the cars. The plan was formed. Suro and Jonghyun would get the police while the detective team would stall Woohyun so that the police could get there in time. Everyone started getting into the cars.

-- October 23, 2017, 07:00 PM  --
-- In front of the meeting place --

“This must be the place.” Jaewook said as they walked towards the building.

“Why are we meeting at the gym?” Jaesuk asked everyone as they went through the doors.

“There he is.” Sehun pointed at the lone man sitting on the bleachers.

“Director.” They acknowledged him

“Director, it’s us.” Sejeong called out to him.

“This is it, right?” Jaesuk said as he held up the gold color book safe.

“Congratulations. Hold on.” He said as he stood up and held out his hand, signaling the team to stop walking.

“Something doesn’t feel right.” Woohyun stated.

“What?” Jongmin asked.

“What do you mean?” Jaesuk clarified and the director looked at all of them weirdly before he started laughing. Everyone awkwardly laughed along with him and Sunmi wanted to facepalm.

“Give us our share please.” Sejeong said with a bit of aegyo.

“Don’t move. Don’t move a muscle. You will get hurt if you move. You talked about two additional people. Who are they?” Woohyun asked.

“They came to look for the treasure. They aren’t important.” Kwangsoo told him.

“What did you find?” He asked and Jaesuk decided to tell the truth.

“You are struggling financially.”

“You found out many things in just one day.” The atmosphere started getting tense.

“Now, I have a question. Why did you kill Jeongsik?” Jaesuk bravely asked him.

“Come on. Do you have evidence?” Woohyun pretended to be innocent.

“Yes. Every piece of evidence points to you.” Minyoung told him.

“You were the last person he called.” Kwangsoo added.

“You made a locked-room murder look like a suicide.” Jaesuk accused.

“A locked-room murder?” He was still pretending not to know everything.

“It’s impossible to murder someone in a locked room!” Woohyun laughed.

“You used Jeongsik’s tape measure. You used the tape measure to send the key back into the bag. Then, you released the tape measure so that it looked like no one entered the room. Isn’t that how you did it?” Jaesuk told him. 

“Because of the ligature mark on the neck, we learned that the murderer is shorter than Jeongsik. You are the only man with a similar height. That narrowed down the list of suspects.” Minyoung finished.

“I just remembered. I am wearing gloves to hide the rope marks. You are right. I killed him.” The Director finally admitted.

“And you don’t even feel an ounce of regret for what you did.” Sunmi angrily told him.

“What a shameless man! Why did you kill him?” Jaesuk asked.

“That man?”

“Yes.”

“He deserved to die. He demanded treasure and money from me. He knew my weakness. He was a piece of garbage. He killed his partner!” Woohyun tried to defend his actions.

“Do you have anything else to say?” He asked the detectives.

“No, we don’t.” Jaesuk answered.

“We have your confession.” Minyoung told him. 

“You confessed to murdering him. Go to the police station for investigation.” Jaesuk told him.

“Hold on.” He said as he started to take something out of his pocket.

“What’s going on?” Jongmin asked.

“Let’s arrest him.” Sehun suggested.

“Please don’t.” Sejeong was nervous, now.

“He should be arrested.”  Jaesuk told the group. The Director took out a switch from his pocket.

“He has a switch.” Kwangsoo observed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter