(Episode 10) Chapter 46

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We will go to Rena Bar. Who kidnapped K?” Jaesuk wondered out loud.

“Could it be C?” Kwangsoo asked.

“C is dead.” Jongmin stated.

“Not according to what we found out. K told me he could never track C’s body.” Sunmi shared.

“Is C dead or alive? It's frustrating.” Jongmin said. 

“I hope we find something at Rena Bar.” Sunmi shared with the others.

“I hope we don’t have to go through the same thing Jaesuk and I went through.” Jaewook recalled his experience again and shuddered, making Sunmi, who was beside him, laugh. After a few minutes of driving, they reached the destination.

“It's here.” Jaesuk informed everyone.

“There is a bar here.” Kwangsoo pointed out.

“Where?” Jongmin asked him.

“In front of us. It must be Rena Bar.” Kwangsoo answered him as Jaesuk parked the car.

“Rena bar.” Jongmin repeated as he got out of the car.

“It's here. I see the sign.” Kwangsoo pointed out the LED sign that said ‘RENA BAR’. Sejeong and Sunmi looked up to where he was pointing.

“It must be a famous bar.” Sejeong shared.

“Why is it called Rena Bar though? Isn’t it supposed to be a pole dancing studio?” Sunmi asked as she linked her arms around Sejeong and they walked side by side to follow the others.

“I know. Rena Bar is here.” Kwangsoo thought out loud as he followed the two youngest members of the team. They all got into the elevator which was a bit of a tight squeeze for everyone, but somehow, they managed.

“Let's get off.” Jaesuk said as they made it to the correct floor.

“Rena Bar.” Kwangsoo read off the multiple LED signs that said the establishment name.

“He isn't the one we met before. Rena isn't here.” Jaesuk said as he walked and saw a man playing in one of the pool tables. The man noticed them and turned to welcome them.

“My goodness. Welcome. You must be customers.” He happily greeted them.

“Hello.” They greeted him back.

“Are you the owner?” Jongmin asked him.

“Hello. What would you like? Are you here to play pool?” He asked the team.

“Did a man named K come here by any chance?” Jaesuk asked him outright.

“Why are you looking for a man at my business? He isn't here. Leave.” The man said as he started gesturing for the team to leave.

“We won't.” Jaesuk told him.

“You are dressed like you're attending a funeral. Leave.” The man told them.

“You are acting strangely.” Kwangsoo answered him.

“How did I get so unlucky in the beginning of the day?” The man asked himself.

“We are sorry to ask, but it seems like Rena Bar isn't run by the person we know.” Jaesuk started saying, recalling Rena, C’s ex-girlfriend.

“Isn't Rena here?” Jongmin asked him.

“Did you come to meet Rena?” The man asked the team.

“Yes.”

“Yes, that's right.” The detectives all agreed.

“She used to be the owner. Now, I am the owner.” The man proudly said.

“Did she quit?” Jaesuk asked him.

“Yes. I was an employee. Then I purchased the bar. My name is Yoon Hyeongbin.” The man, now known as Hyeongbin, shared.

“Congratulations.” Kwangsoo said.

“You succeeded.” Jongmin added.

“Will you play pool or what?” Hyeongbin asked the team.

“If we do, will you give us information?” Jaesuk bargained.

“It looks like I have information you will find useful.” Hyeongbin revealed.

“Really?” Jaesuk clarified.

“Yes.” The owner confirmed.

“He must know something.” Kwangsoo whispered to Jaesuk.

“Then we will play. What shall we play?” Jaesuk gave in.

“Will you play?” The man asked again.

“Yes.” Jaesuk confirmed.

“I made this game to get more customers.” Hyeongbin started explaining.

“I see.” Jaesuk said.

“There are two boxes.” The owner gestured to the 2 boxes there.

“Right? This box contains the answer balls with numbers. This box contains the four arithmetic operations.” He explained, pointing to each box as he revealed the contents.

“What are those?” Kwangsoo and Jongmin asked and Sunmi heard them.

“Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division.” She answered.

“I see.” Kwangsoo finally understood.

“Pick an answer ball first and use the numbers on the balls and an arithmetic operation to get the answer.  Then you win. It's a simple game.” Hyeongbin explained the mechanics of the game.

“You win if you get the balls in first.” Kwangsoo summarized.

“Yes. It's a matter of who reaches the answer first. That's what's important.” Hyeongbin answered him.

“Can we pick a ball now?” Jaesuk asked as he moved forward.

“No. Hold on. Since I am alone, I will play with an employee.” The man said.

“An employee?” Jaesuk asked.

“It's okay.” Kwangsoo agreed.

“Why do I have a bad feeling about this?” Sunmi whispered to Sehun who just placed his arm around her and pulled her closer to his side.

“Do you have an employee?” Jongmin asked Hyeongbin.

“She cleans the place.” Hyeongbin shared.

“Go ahead.” Kwangsoo allowed him.

“Would it be okay?” The man asked again.

“Sure.” The detectives agreed.

“Come on out. We have customers. She cleans the place.” The man said and everyone turned to see the employee come out. She looked like the pool player, Cha Yuram.

“Come on.” Jaewook called out.

“She looks familiar.” Jongmin stated.

“An employee?” Jaesuk asked the owner.

“She isn't a cleaning lady.” Kwangsoo complained.

“She used to work as a hairdresser.” Hyeongbin defended.

“Come on.” Jaesuk complained.

“She doesn't know how to play pool.” The owner said.

“You look a lot like someone I know. What's your name?” Jaesuk asked the part-timer.

“Seo Boram.” The woman replied.

“Seo Boram?” Jaesuk asked with a small laugh.

“It sounds like you made it up.” Kwangsoo told her.

“Her name is Boram.” The owner said.

“Yes.” Boram agreed.

“Let's go.” Jaewook said, wanting to start the game.

“We need to get ready first. Get ready, Boram.” Hyeongbin told the employee.

“Fine. Alright. We just need to win.” Jaesuk said as he started taking off his coat and everyone else followed suit.

“A cue stick?” Kwangsoo questioned as Boram brought out a bag.

“I found it on the street.” Boram defended.

“I see. She found it on the street.” Hyeongbin covered.

“How does a cleaning lady have her own cue stick?” Jaewook cried out in disbelief.

“She found it on the street?” Kwangsoo asked again.

“It would be a waste not to use it.” Hyeongbin stated.

“Someone had thrown it away.” Boram covered.

“Let's see how it goes.” Jaewook told the team.

“Okay.  That’s good.” Jaesuk said as he placed his coat down.

“Let's go. I will do my best.” Jongmin called for the game to start.

“Let's do this. Oppas, fighting!” Sunmi called out. She had never played pool before but it seemed like a fun game.

“By the way, you start over from zero if a white ball goes in.”

“Okay. Shall we go first?” Jaesuk asked.

“We will let you decide.” The owner answered.

“Let's pick the answer first. I will pick.” Kwangsoo said as he placed his hand inside the first box.

“Go ahead.” Jaesuk told him and he picked up a ball with the number that they had to get.

“It's 128.” Boram revealed as she saw the ball Kwangsoo was holding.

“Why did you pick 128?” Jaesuk asked Kwangsoo.

“Multiply sixty and two and add eight.” Jongmin suggested.

“Right.” Jaesuk agreed as he got ready to break the balls.

“How is my form?” Jaesuk asked the part-timer who looked like a pro pool player.

“It's very good.” Boram said before realizing what she said.

“You can judge a form.” Hyeongbin told her.

“My goodness.” The detectives called out as Jaesuk hit the cue ball and broke the group.

“Go in.” Jaesuk called out to the balls.

“Those balls are cluttered. You should have done better.” Jongmin told Jaesuk.

“It's our turn. The part-timer will go.” Hyeongbin called out.

“She aims for the bottom.” Jongmin observed.

“She is good.” Some of the members of the team muttered as they watched her break the balls.

“She's more powerful than you.” Jongmin told Jaesuk.

“She is a part-timer.” Hyeongbin reminded them.

“Will you be okay? You should use a bridge.” Jaesuk asked as he watched Boram do a difficult move without using a bridge.

“My goodness. Look at her eyes.” Kwangsoo commented as Boram succeeded in taking the shot without any additional equipment.

“You did a good job.” Hyeongbin complimented.

“We would have used a bridge.” Jaesuk pointed out. 

“We have one.” Hyeongbin shared as Boram selected an arithmetic operation.

“Did you get one?” Jaesuk clarified.

“The number was one.” Hyeongbin confirmed.

“It's a multiplication sign.” Boram said as she held out the yellow ball. Hyeongbin ended up shooting a ‘13’ ball and Boram picked up another multiplication sign.

“We might be here a while.” Sunmi said with a small sigh, seeing how good Boram was.

“Ms. Boram. Where do we need to call to order Jajangmyeon?” Jaesuk asked, mostly trying to break her focus, but she was undeterred.

“Look at her eyes. Her eyes suddenly chang

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter