(Episode 8) Chapter 37

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Sir, someone actually called me last night to meet up today for a case. I already agreed to meet with you so I turned them down. It turns out, the whole team was called for the case. It’s actually with one of your old friends, Mr. Jang Gwang.” Sunmi explained and K’s eyebrows raised.

“Jang Gwang? What case could he possibly want so- No, it can’t be.” K said as he pulled out his phone and called someone.

“Hello? Please get me Jang Mira’s Case Files as well as the Mapo-gu Escape Incident. Send it to my email and to Sunmi’s.” K said before he ended the call. Soon, his and Sunmi’s phones beeped, signalling an email.

“Sunmi, please take a look at the first case file and tell me what you think.” K told her and Sunmi decided it would be better to look at it from her laptop. She took out her MacBook and powered it up. In no time, the case file was open on her monitor. She took a few minutes to go over the case file first. 

“This crime happened a few months before I was born. It seems to be a locked room scene.” Sunmi noted as she read the notes and looked at the photos.

“The victims were Jang Mira and Kim Taesong. Was Mira related to your friend?” Sunmi asked K who looked at her with a small smile and he nodded.

“The woman looks like she was strangled and the man was killed with these things. Are they handphones?” Sunmi asked herself.

“They were married but  they didn’t apply for a marriage license. Was it because she was a rookie singer?” Sunmi flipped to the next page where a photo was found. 

“Oh, they had a daughter as well.” Sunmi commented. After the photo, she read through a copy of Mira’s Exclusive Artist Contract.

“‘The contractor must not share information about the contractor’s common law relationship or the child to a 3rd party without the owner’s consent.’ Needs to be re-discussed.” Sunmi read off the contract.

“So she was supposed to keep her husband and daughter a secret? Maybe it wasn’t allowed. But, she wanted to re-discuss that. Maybe she wanted to tell people about her family.” Sunmi noted.

“A diamond went missing and around that time, police were looking for a serial diamond thief as well. There’s a possibility that this could be a robbery.” She continues to make guesses out loud and K just listened to her. She went through most of the files when one of the pictures caught her eye.

“Oh. There’s something!” Sunmi excitedly said as she pointed to a photo of a mess on the floor. In the photo, a CD with a small chip could be seen. 

“I think this was used to make the scene look like a locked room? Although I can’t be too sure as I need to try and do a simulation to see if it works.” Sunmi admitted.

“Your guess is correct. That is how this murder was turned into a locked-room scene. Now, please open the next file and tell me what you think.” K instructed her and Sunmi did so, taking a few minutes to go over all the clues first.

“The culprit was able to escape from 2 police teams in 30 minutes. This happened the same day as the first case. Are they connected?” Sunmi asked out loud. 

“The culprit left behind something important in the building on the day of the incident.” Sunmi read off the file. She then looked at the photo of the culprit’s back, holding a phone in his hand.

“A telephone? Oh, that’s right, not everyone had cell phones then. Who is he calling though?” Sunmi looked at other photos of the building during that time, what caught her eye was the delivery flyers found almost everywhere.

“Delivery?” She whispered to herself as she continued reading. When she got to the part of the report where it was said that they found a man who was tied up, Sunmi’s eyes widened in realization.

“He called a food delivery service, took his clothes and most probably his bike as well, and left the building in a disguise. That’s why the police team wasn't able to catch him.” Sunmi told K and he nodded again. Sunmi looked at the remaining information on the files.

“He dropped his pager string and a hat.” Sunmi muttered and she pulled up the close up photos of Jang Mira’s ligature marks and the rope tied around her husband.

“The rope on the husband looks too thick to be the one used to kill Mira-si. This pager string, however, looks like a perfect fit.” Sunmi mentioned as she placed the photos side by side. 

“So the crimes real

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter