(Episode 9) Chapter 42

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I received the text.  Kaldin Coffee. 2-11 Yeouido Park.” Jongmin stated as they walked out of the building..

“Yeouido Park?” Jaewook clarified.

“Yes.” Jongmin told him as they got into Sunmi’s car.

“We will meet up with them there and head to the address.” Jaewook instructed and Sunmi drove towards Yeouido Park. Luckily, it was less than a 5 minutes drive and they were able to park right away and find the cafe easily. Sehun was waiting for them at the entrance.

“You’re here.” Sehun happily told Sunmi who was walking behind the rest of her team. While the rest of the team were distracted over meeting again, Sehun hugged Sunmi and pulled her closer to his side.

“Do they sell boba here, oppa?” Sunmi asked him as she looked around the cafe.

“I’m not sure. Have a seat, oppa will buy for you, aein.” He said as he gestured for her to sit down and pulled out his wallet to buy her a drink.

“Hey! Sehun pulled out his wallet as soon as Sunmi came but he kept asking for cash to play with the claw machine!” Kwangsoo angrily pointed out which made Sunmi laugh.

“You got this from the claw machines?” She pointed to the toys that were on the table. Kwangsoo proceeded to tell her what happened between Sehun, the claw machines and his money. By the end of the story, Sehun had made his way back to the group and Sunmi was staring at him with judging eyes but a smile on her face.

“What? What is it?” He asked her as he handed her the boba he bought. Sunmi shook her head and didn’t say anything else, choosing to pinch his cheek and turn to the others as he placed an arm around her waist and they listened to Jaewook.

“We found a note. It was in the bag.” Jaewook said as he handed the note over to Jaesuk.

“We need to go to Munbal-dong, Paju.” Jaesuk read.

“That's the place. With the object and Yeonseok.” Jaewook stated.

“I think this is the said object.” Jaesuk said, referring to the briefcase they found.

“How long do we have to follow his orders?” Kwangsoo asked the others.

“I know.” Jongmin agreed.

“Are you going to take me there?” Yeonseok asked them.

“Well--For now.” Minyoung stated. Then she turned her attention to the two women from the other group.

“Sejeong-ah, Sunmi-ah, did you find anything that can fit here?” She showed them a unique key hole.

“Is there anything? We found a briefcase, but it won't open.” Kwangsoo asked as well.

“Won't it?” Jongmin asked.

“We don't have the key.” Sehun pointed out.

“A normal key won't fit.” Jongmin stated. Sunmi observed as Yeonseok looked like he was thinking about something and wanted to speak out. His hands were also wandering towards his wrist area.

“We don't know what to do.” Kwangsoo stated and Yeonseok spoke up.

“Hold on.” He said as he pulled the briefcase closer to him.

“The prisoner should stay put.” Kwangsoo told him.

“Let go of it. We don't need your help. Why won't you listen to us?” Jaesuk told him.

“You don't need my help?” Yeonseok asked him.

“We don't.” Jaesuk agreed.

“Really?” Yeonseok asked again.

“Don't help us.” Jaesuk told him.

“Won't you regret it?” Yeonseok argued.

“Does he have something? You never know what will happen down the road.” Kwangsoo told Jaesuk.

“Yeonseok-oppa, you know something. Speak up. Why do your hands keep hovering over your wrist?” Sunmi finally asked him. Jongmin held his arm to get a closer look at it but Yeonseok pulled away.

“Hey.”

“What's this?” Jaewook asked him as Yeonseok removed the cufflink on his wrist.

“With this briefcase, we got a string of clues.” Kwangsoo stated as Yeonseok was finally able to get the cufflink off his wrist.

“What's that?” Jaesuk asked him.

“Don't touch me.” Yeonseok told everyone.

“Is it a key?” Jongmin asked.

“Should I, or shouldn't I?” Yeonseok asked everyone.

“Do it. Here you go. Here.” Kwangsoo gave him the briefcase.

“Is that the key?” Jaesuk asked in a small tone, embarrassed that he argued with Yeonseok earlier.

“Shouldn't I?” Yeonseok teased and Sunmi laughed while everyone else said.

“No, please do.”

“Where did you get it?” Jaesuk asked him.

“It was on his shirt.” Kwangsoo answered.

“It was the button.” Jongmin shared.

“Really?” Jaesuk wondered out loud.

“Why didn't you tell us earlier?” Jaesuk started arguing with Yeonseok again.

“Unbelievable.” Yeonseok said as he stopped his actions.

“Calm down, hyung.” Jongmin told him.

“Are you kidding me?” Jaesuk asked out loud.

“Oppa, we need him to open it. Please.” Minyoung requested so he would stop arguing with Yeonseok and so that Yeonseok could open the case.

“Why are you yelling at someone who's helping us?” Sejeong asked him in an innocent tone.

“Seriously? Sejeong-ah.” Kwangsoo reacted.

“Sejeong, you--Fine, I'm sorry.” Jaesuk said and Yeonseok finally put the cufflink into the hole.

“All right then.” He said as he pushed it in and the briefcase made a sound.

“It fits.” Jongmin shared.

“Is it open?” Kwangsoo asked.

“Open it.” Jongmin told Yeonseok who pulled the briefcase open.

“What's inside?” Kwangsoo asked as everyone came to take a closer look.

“What's this?” Kwangsoo asked as they found a case that looked like a penholder.

“What is it?” Jaesuk asked as well.

“It's some sort of case.” Kwangsoo observed as Jaesuk picked it up and opened it.

“It's a microchip.” Kwangsoo shared.

“Isn't this our logo?” Jongmin asked.

“It's like ours.” Kwangsoo agreed.

“Actually, long before you came into the picture, Sunmi and I were chosen as the first test subjects of Project D.” Yeonseok revealed.

“They were the first?” Jongmin asked out loud.

“To be honest, K had good intentions which was to create an elite team of detectives when he began Project D.” Yeonseok began.

“However, despite K's good intentions, adversaries tried to abuse the power Sunmi and I had. Sunmi was young so K decided to have her memories erased and sent her to a family he knew wanted a child.  I stayed with them for a few more years but  I felt like I was in danger, so with the help of a researcher, I was able to escape the lab.” Yeonseok continued.

“This is the cufflink he gave to me.” Yeonseok stated as he showed everyone the cufflink he used to open the briefcase.

“Cufflink?” Jongmin didn’t know what it was.

“Cuff…” Yeonseok tried to explain but ended up laughing.

“Just be quiet.” Jaesuk whispered to Jongmin. There was a short pause and right before Yeonseok was about to speak again, Kwangsoo interrupted.

“So?” 

“Seriously?” Yeonseok asked in an annoyed tone. Everyone shushed him for that.

“Did I do something wrong?” Kwangsoo asked, looking at Sunmi and Sehun.

“Be quiet.” Jaesuk told him. All Sunmi and Sehun did was nod at him, trying to stop their laughter.

“Okay.” Kwangsoo said and decided to rem

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter