(Episode 5) Chapter 21

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-- November 6, 2017, 3:00 PM --
-- Island Near Incheon, South Korea --

“Is it just us or is it actually spooky here?” Jaesuk asked Sunmi, Sehun, and Kwangsoo.

“This place is weird.” Kwangsoo commented.

“I guess the villagers are used to this way of living.” Sunmi commented.

“Let's meet the doctor first. He was the weirdest one.” Jaesuk suggested.

“Where could he be staying?” Sehun wondered. They tried asking some of the villagers they came across but they all gave the group dirty looks or got angry.

“This is scary.” Sunmi said as the last guy started screaming at them to go away. They saw an old lady and Sunmi decided to try one more time.

“Excuse me. May I ask where Dr. Park lives?” She asked and the woman stared at her for a long time, like she was in some sort of trance. Sehun was about to pull her away but Kwangsoo stopped him.

“Ma’am?” Sunmi asked one more time and the woman shook her head, snapping out of her trance.

“You look like her.” She told Sunmi.

“Excuse me?” 

“You look like my granddaughter. She died because of the vampire too.” The woman sadly said.

“I’m sorry to hear that, Ma’am.” Sunmi genuinely said with a sad smile. The woman sighed before she pointed in a certain direction.

“He lives over there. His clinic is a modern-looking building. His house is in front of it.” She directed them and the four detectives thanked her. 

Sunmi bowed to thank her once again before she moved to rejoin the others but the woman grabbed her hand.

“Ma’am?” She asked the woman.

“Please be careful. Don’t let him take you away too.” She warned before letting go and Sunmi had to wonder who she meant.

“I’ll be careful, Ma’am. Thank you again.” She stated before the group started walking in the direction that she pointed to.

“What do you think that lady meant when she said ‘don’t let him take you away’?" Sehun asked Sunmi who shook her head, not knowing the answer.

“I don’t know. You don’t think she could mean the doctor, could you oppa?” She asked and Kwangsoo gasped.

“What if the doctor is the vampire? And he’s doing this because he knows no one will suspect him?” He guessed.

“That’s scary. Don’t say that, oppa.” Sunmi whined a little.

“Well, we never know. Kwangsoo could be right.” Jaesuk told her as they continued to walk.

“You think you know something…” Kwangsoo said, speaking to a dog who was barking.

“Kwangsoo.” Jaesuk called out as he saw the building the lady mentioned.

“There he is.” Sehun pointed out.

“Oh, there he is.” Jaesuk said, seeing him as well.

“He's eating.” Kwangsoo observed.

“Isn't that wine?” Jaesuk asked.

“He has a really nice house.” Sehun observed.

“The nurse that he was working with just…” Kwangsoo started saying as they approached.

“Just like Kwangsoo said, the nurse he was working with just died.” Jaesuk stated.

“He's drinking at midday with his meal.” Kwangsoo said.

“Maybe he’s trying to drink the sadness away.” Sunmi said, looking at him. They decided to approach him.

“Excuse me. Hello.” Jaesuk spoke up first.

“Have you eaten?” The doctor asked them.

“Oh, yes, we already ate.” Jaesuk answered.

“You're eating raw meat like this?” Kwangsoo asked, pointing to his steak that didn’t even look cooked.

“Yes, I've always liked my steak rare.” He informed them.

“This is almost raw.” Jaesuk observed.

“So, sir, could we ask you some things?” Jaesuk asked him.

“Of course. Have a seat.” Haejin said, pointing to the bench in front of him. Only three could fit at a time so he looked at Sunmi.

“You can take a seat here.” He said, pointing to the seat beside him. Sunmi thought it would be rude to refuse so she did as he asked and took a seat in front of Sehun.

“I mean, we mentioned this before, but this is almost raw.” Jaesuk told Haejin.

“Would you like a bite?” Haejin offered and they all responded.

“No.”

“No, thank you.”

“We usually eat it well-done.” 

“I eat mine medium rare.” 

“I see.” Haejin stated.

“Is there a vampire in this village?” Jaesuk got straight to the point.

“I don't know.” Haejin answered before drinking from his wine.

“Why did you ask so directly?” Kwangsoo whispered to Jaesuk.

“How else would I ask him?” Jaesuk replied.

“Are you a vampire?” Kwangsoo was even more upfront, causing Sunmi to giggle.

“He couldn't be, could he?” Sehun asked.

“He couldn't be.” Jaesuk stated, looking at the almost raw meat in front.

“These questions… Are you suspicious of me? Perhaps that I am a vampire…” Haejin asked them.

“A little.” Sehun answered and Jaesuk looked at him in disbelief that he could say that to the doctor’s face.

“We talked about it on our way here.” Sehun revealed.

“Yes, we did.” Sunmi stated.

“You're brave. That was between us.” Kwangsoo told Sehun.

“We should have been tactful about it, but since Sehun mentioned it--” Jaesuk started saying.

“Then will you believe me if I ate garlic?” Haejin asked.

“Garlic?” Jaesuk clarified.

“Since vampires are afraid of garlic.”

“I can't just eat it. Why don't we do this? Just a moment.” Haejin said before standing up and entering his house.

“If he eats it, it confirms that he's not the vampire.” Kwangsoo explained.

“True. So he is offering to eat garlic himself?” Jaesuk asked, suspicious of the doctor.

“Well, he did say he wasn’t just going to eat it.” Sunmi recalled. She looked at Sehun who was in front of her.

“I can’t believe you told him we were suspicious of him being a vampire.” She said with a laugh and he started laughing himself, not knowing why he said that. They talked amongst themselves for a bit.

“Garlic and vampires are definitely…” Kwangsoo was saying when Haejin came back outside bringing a tray of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter