(Episode 8) Chapter 38

Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-- December 04, 2017, 09:00 PM --
-- Seoul BattleShip Park, Mangwon-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul   --

Sunmi sighed in frustration as she parked her car and got out, approaching the three men who were waiting for her.

“Miss Sunmi, we would like for you to wear this vest just in case things go south.” Minsung, Sunmi’s head of security, said as he held out a bulletproof vest. Sunmi shook her head.

“I don’t think I need that, oppa. Besides, there’s no more time. Who knew the drive from Paju to here would take me more than an hour? I hate traffic.” Sunmi complained as she looked at the three men in front of her.

“Are you guys ready?” She asked them and they nodded.

“Miss Sunmi, if there are weapons involved, please stay behind us. Your safety is our main concern.” Minsung told her again and Sunmi just nodded to appease him. They quietly made their way to the entrance of the boat where Sunmi peeked in just in time to see Jang Gwang stand up from a wheelchair.

“You killed her because she wanted to come home? I can’t forgive you.” He said as he pulled out a gun and pointed it at Ahn Ilgwon and everyone else stepped back out of fear.

“No!” Sunmi called out as she stepped forward, only to have Minsung hold her back and Jang Gwang pull the trigger, shooting Ilgwon on the chest, right where his heart was. One of Minsung’s men immediately stepped in to disarm and detain Jang Gwang while Sunmi and Minsung ran at Ilgwon to try and save him. The other one called the police to tell them about what happened and tried to get the others to calm down as they told off Jang Gwang.

“Hey, Mr. Ilgwon, can you hear me?” Sunmi asked the fallen man as he stared at her and clutched at his chest, already having trouble breathing.

“Miss Sunmi, normally, we need to apply pressure to the wound, but seeing as that would just be killing him faster, I suggest pulling it out here and now. However, with no sanitary equipment to take the bullet out or plug the hole it will leave, I’m afraid there’s nothing else we can do.” Minsung told her as Sunmi kept track of the man’s weakening pulse.

“I’m sorry.” She told the man as he took his last breath. Even if he turned out to be the criminal, Sunmi couldn’t help but feel sorry for the man who just lost his life. Minsung helped her up and they turned their attention towards Jaesuk who was angrily scolding Jang Gwang.

“You should've at least told us. We didn't know it was an actual case.” Jaesuk said.

“Is he dead?” One of the suspects the other teams brought asked.

“He is.” Minsung was the one who confirmed it. Sunmi looked at Jang Gwang who already had a guilty look on his face.

“You said the killer's voice is on tape.” Jaesuk told Jang Gwang as he pressed play on the cassette. He wanted to confirm if Jang Gwang really did kill the right person or if he would still be after someone else.

“Dad. It's Mira. I now realize what's important in life. It's family. Dad, I miss you.” It was Mira’s voice on the other end.

“Kriesha, I'm sorry that you had to see your grandpa like this.” Gwang told his secretary who was also Mira and Taesong’s daughter.

“Grandpa?” Jaesuk asked in disbelief.

“The daughter?” Sejeong asked and everyone realized who she was.

“The granddaughter.” Jongmin said.

“She's the granddaughter.” Kwangsoo seconded.

“She's the daughter.” Jaesuk finally realized.

“I'm a military man. I won't dishonor myself by running away. Arrest me.” Jang Gwang told the detectives as Minsung’s man, who was the one who disarmed him, cuffed his hands.

“We have no other choice.” Kwangsoo told the man.

“Also, I promised to tell you about Project D. I'll tell you the combination.” The old man said.

“We would appreciate that.” Jongmin told him.

“The combination is 987.” He said, just in time as they heard sirens and the police arrived to take him away.

“I wish you didn’t kill him, Mr. Jang. You should have resisted for your granddaughter.” Sunmi told him as police were getting ready to take him away. He could only look down in shame.

“I hope it at least took some of the anger, pain, and sadness away.” She said once again before the police escorted the old man away, Kriesha trailing after him. Sunmi was about to turn back and address the rest of her teammates when she felt herself being pulled into someone’s arms.

“Are you okay? Did you get hurt anywhere?” Sehun asked as he checked all over for any cuts or bruises.

“Oppa, I’m fine.”  She reassured him and he pulled her into a tight hug. Sunmi hugged him back and was rubbing one of her hands up and down his back to help him calm down.

“Why do you always have to try and put yourself in danger for others?” He scolded her.

“Well, I guess this is just the way I am. Take it or leave it.” Sunmi as she pulled away a little to see his face.

“You already know that I’ll take whatever I can get.” He told her with a serious face. Sunmi was about to reply when someone standing behind Sehun cleared their throat. The couple pulled away to see the other detectives as well as Minsung and his security team.

“Miss Sunmi, everything seems to be in order here. Will you be heading home with us?” Minsung asked her and Sunmi shook her head.

“I have things to discuss with the team, Minsung-oppa. Thank you for helping out, guys.” She thanked her security team, bowing to them as they bowed back to her.

“Is there anything else you need before we take our leave?” Minsung asked her. Sunmi looked at the other three suspects who were brought there.

“Well, if it’s not too much, please take these people back to where they need to be.” Sunmi said. Minsung nodded and started leading the 3 people off the boat. The rest of the detectives turned around and bowed to apologize once again for lying.

“Sunmi-ah! Where have you been the whole day? How did you know we’d be here? Why did you bring security with you? Did you know the cases we worked on were real? Did you expect Jang Gwang to kill the suspect?” Jaesuk fired question after question once it was only them on the boat and Sunmi held her hands out in front of her to signal him to calm down.

“Calm down, oppa. One question at a time. Anyways, why don’t we all sit down somewhere warm first? It’s very cold tonight.” Sunmi offered. They decided to sit inside one of the ship’s rooms. It was a very tight fit so Sunmi decided to sit on the arm of the couch beside Sejeong. Sehun wanted her beside him but she didn’t want to make the other uncomfortable by sitting in his lap.

“Okay, you can start asking questions now. Though, you guys were the ones on the case, I should be the one asking questions.” Sunmi jokingly said.

“How come you were not able to join us today?” Jaewook as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter