Fate [Youngjae]

We Fell in Love [a collection of oneshots]

Fate- it's not something he particularly believes in, and not one he wants to spend much time pondering over. 

Sure, he was born with a perfect set of cheeks, but that's not fate, that's genetics and oh god, don't even get him started on the idea that him being a medical student is due to fate, "god you were fated to be this, you're asian afterall," fate had nothing to do with any of this, it was all late nights, a ton of effort, and lots and lots of coffee; open your eyes and see that some people actually rely on their own hard work rather than some vague figment of one's hyperactive imagination called fate.

"And this is why I pay no attention to optimists," he says as he takes another sip from his coffee, tightening his scarf a bit before warming his hands up on the warm cup again, "their sense of reality is far from reality; I'm sorry, but if I lost all my memory, was out of contact with you for a full ten years, oh, and lived on the other side of the planet, I obviously wouldn't fall in love with you all over again. The writers of Winter Sonata are deslusional okay, stop watching it."

And there it is, her ever adorable pout- not like that's going to change his views on fate. 

"You're an you know that right, why do I even love you?"

"Because there's obviously something very wrong in that pretty little brain of yours," he replies with a soft knock to the top of her head.

He softens though,pulling her close and placing a kiss on her forehead, "anyways, it's not like I'll ever have to worry about a situation like that; I could never forget you, and if something bad enough happened that I did, I know that you'll be right there by my side as soon as I wake up."

She nods, smiling to herself before lacing their fingers together.

-x-

She doesn't stop watching, much to his displeasure, and she's fully set on the idea that there is such thing as fate, even more to his displeasure, as Yoo Youngjae is a man of science, and he's pretty sure the word "fate" isn't in any of his textbooks, therefore, it has been invalidated.

He sits through it anyways, smiling at her adorable reactions rather than paying attention to the drama itself, wiping a few tears and giving her a few pecks from time to time.

She's so into it, and for a moment, Youngjae wishes he'd stop being the realist he is, because fate sure does sound nice when it's in the context of him being fated to be with her; but that thought doesn't last very long, flowing to the back of his mind as he rolls his eyes at the overly idealistic plot.

The music is kind of pretty though, and it's slowly lulling him to sleep. He starts to nod off, head slowly falling to her shoulder as he dreams of all things scientifically proven, and not fate.

She looks over, ghosting a small kiss on his cheek before lacing their fingers together.

-x-

He laces their fingers together, giving her hand a soft squeeze.

She's usually the first one to do this.

"That's why we make such a good couple, see, the perfect fit, it must be fate huh?"

He shakes his head, watching her sleeping figure before leaning over and giving her a small kiss.

"Yah, if you don't hurry up and wake up, all the snow won't be fresh anymore," he jokes before giving her hand one more squeeze.

Everything seems to be coming together to a central rhythm, the snow falling just outside the window, his soft gasps, and the now familiar beeps. 

-x-

Youngjae likes being right, but he doesn't want to be right, not about this.

She's holding her hand to her chest protectively, eyes wide, she's trembling as she pushes herself further to the back of the bed.

"Get away from me, I don't know you!"

"________-ah, please, just trust me, it's me Youngjae, your boyfriend," he tries to say as calmly as possible; he doesn't want to frighten her anymore than she already is.

She shakes her head, eyes darting to the assistance button before a nurse rushes in, ushering Youngjae out.

"Pabo, I told you there was no such thing as fate..." he whispers as tears stream down his face.

-x-

"Hey man, I'm really sorry"

Youngjae nods at the figure standing in front of him, thanking him before taking the coffee from him.

"I can clear this all up, make everything right again, she'll believe me"

It's tempting, it really is, to have everything go back to normal, to have her back in his arms, it's so tempting.

He peeks inside, and right then, he knows that it could never be tempting enough.

Her eyes are trained on the television, brows furrowed, a few tears escaping as she tries to make sense of how she just lost half a decade of her life, a half that she'll never get back. She doesn't understand, everything is new, everything is frightening; he doesn't want to place any more burden on her.

"No...it's okay, just please, take care of her."

He nods.

-x-

She's smiling and he thinks it's the most beautiful thing he's seen in a long while, her smile.

The traces of fear have left her eyes and she looks genuinely happy.

He steps forward before catching himself, she doesn't know him anymore, he'll only frighten her.

He wishes he were the one to make her smile, but that role is no longer his, it's all Himchan's now, just as it was before Youngjae met her.

They walk arm in arm and Youngjae can't help but frown, eyes meeting Himchan's who smiles sadly before the pair walk off.

-x-

Youngjae is surprised to find her sitting in front of him. Daehyun had forced him to go on this date, saying that if this one didn't work out, he would never ever ever bother Youngjae or set him up on a date again, and that in itself was much too tempting. He didn't expect to be sitting face to face with his ex-girlfriend out of all people, though they never formally broke up.

"Hi," she grins, extending a hand out as if he weren't the guy claiming to her boyfriend just months ago; not that it was a lie, he technically was her boyfriend.

He takes it, almost lacing their fingers together before remembering better, "hi," he smiles.

"You're Himchan's friend right? He's told me lots of great things about you," she says a bit sheepishly.

Youngjae doesn't know if he should be happy or sad; for one, he explicitly told Himchan not to patch this all up, but then again, he's never been so ing happy in his whole life and plus, she looks happy to be with him too.

"Really? But aren't you and Himchan uhm..."

"We broke up," she says with a small wave of her hand before letting out a soft laugh, "it's kind of weird dating someone who's like a brother to you anyways."

Youngjae thinks it's strange that everything seems to be repeating itself again, that they're meeting for the first time once more in this coffee shop and that just like last time, she's just gotten out of a relationship with Himchan, her now "brotherly" best friend.

It's all too fishy and too coincidental, the probability of it all just doesn't play out, and Youngjae is lost; could fate possibly be real?

He doesn't ponder over it too long because all he can do at the moment is be drawn in by her beautiful smile and her chime like laughs.

-x-

They're in that awkward phase where they''re kind of like a couple, but not really, even though everyone else seems to acknowledge them as one.

"So are you going to man up and ask your girlfriend out or are you gonna be a wuss," Daehyun mocks as he shovels another piece of cheesecake into his mouth; he screams and plunges for the ground immediately after Youngjae scoffs and slaps his plate out of his hands.

As a sidenote though, where was his girlfriend, no wait, his...friend, who's a girl, who he really likes, and used to be his girlfriend...? 

He wanders off, ignoring the daggers Daehyun is sending him.

It's pretty quiet up here and Youngjae thinks it really does feel a lot nicer not being squished by tons of grinding partygoers who are way over one glass too tipsy. The air is chilly and Youngjae shivers just a bit, about to turn around and look somewhere else before he catches a figure in the dark, looking out over the city.

He carefully steps over to her, not wanting to startle her. She's shaking and he's worried, taking his jacket off to place over her shoulders, but that does nothing, she's still shaking and when she turns to face him, it's clear that it's not from the cold.

"Hey, what's wrong?" he questions softly, cupping her face in his hands, softly wiping the tears away from her face.

"I..."

She leaves off, brows furrowing in confusion before she looks back at him, throwing her hands around his neck and pulling him in for a breathtaking kiss.

She's the first to pull away, reaching for his hands that are still cupped around her face and taking them in hers, lacing their fingers together.

"I think I remember," she lets out, a huge smile on her face as tears continue to fall from her eyes.

He can't help but smile back, a few tears escaping his eyes as well.

He gives her hand a small squeeze and she returns it just as warmly before he holds their hands, pressing hers to his lips.

"That's why we make such a good couple, see, the perfect fit, it must be fate huh?" he says.

She smiles and nods.

"Fate" 

 

 

-x-

A/N: I tried to be somewhat serious

...

I'm not sure how I view this other than that I hated the end x_________x

anywhooooooooooooo, thank you all for reading, commenting, & subscribing

I hope you enjoy ^_________^

oh and how would you guys feel about me opening up requests in the future ;_____; I know my writing leaves a lot to be desired, but I figured it'd be fun to take in a few new prompts; that is, after December 1st

My first college app other than the UC's are due on that date, and since most of mine are on the common app; finishing that one app will basically mean I've finished most of the rest as well, other than the supplements...but yeah...i'm rambling....i guess i'll just talk more about this request thing next time

and just a question, how are you all feeling about this new style x______x i'm so unsure about it; wondering if I should go back to the short and super fluffy stuff or not...