Chapter 26

Cover It Up!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Y/N

"You said you came here for a business trip, why didn't you come straight to meet me?"

"Business meeting was awaiting for me as soon as I landed, that's why I couldn't meet you." France took the banana peel I had placed on my table to throw it in the trash. "So I thought of sending you gifts instead, to let you know." he winks at me and turns away to get me some water.

"You're in a business trip, I'm sure you had a lot to do regarding business things and you're currently a busy man. How did you manage to be here to look after me?" I cocked my head to the side.

He turns around to look at me and places both of his hands on his hips. "You're quite curious, aren't you?" he then chuckles. "I cancelled all my schedules so I could be here."

"What?!" my jaw dropped. "Why did you do that? You should've been doing your work!"

I can't believe this! Why are people suddenly cancelling something important because of me? First, Baekhyun and his plans to spend time with his mom. Then France ditching his work schedules which seems very important. I mean nothing to these people, I'm just a... Girl, and nothing else. I'm not a star nor a CEO of a company or a princess for them to miss something just because they have to be around me. Now I'm feeling a lot worst, knowing that these men missed something important, because I'm being a burden.

"I chose to be here," France softly says as he puts the glass of water in front of me. "Don't feel bad. Besides, I have my secretary to take over my position for awhile."

That relieved me. His intention of going here is for his business, I didn't want to be the one that'll mess whatever his work had just because the boss is right here to look after me instead of doing what he's supposed to be doing.

I jumped a bit when I suddenly heard France's phone ringing from the living room of the room. He strode to grab the device and swiped a finger on the screen, seemingly ending the call as the phone went silent.

"Who was it?"

"Just from work," he slips the phone in his pocket. He tried to make it sound like nothing's wrong but I think he's underestimating my ability to read through his expression. Something's wrong with his work and doesn't want to acknowledge it, because of me.

"France, if it's important, you can leave me here."

"No, not until I'm sure someone's looking after you here, sweetheart." he took the table away from my bed after making sure that I've finished the glass of water.

I giggled, "I'm not a baby. Just go."

He sighs in defeat. "I'll have to at least call Baekhyun." he pulls out his phone once again and tapped on the screen.

As soon as he had it pressed on his ear, the door suddenly opens and Baekhyun was seen walking into the room, holding his phone in his hand. A perfect timing, really.

"Do you really have to call?" Baekhyun frowns.

"You came just in time," France quickly grabs his coat from the backrest of the couch and marches towards Baekhyun, then grabbing his shoulder for an encouraging gesture. "Need to go, business matters."

Baekhyun nods at him. "Of course."

France took one final glance at me and beams before running to the door and closing it along the way as he left. The atmosphere suddenly feels heavy, it was as if I'm in a same room with a stranger instead. From the door where the other male disappeared, Baekhyun's eyes slowly wandered to meet mine, he sighs; a relieved one. He then quietly makes his way to the living room and slumped himself on the couch.

Having France with me in this room longer than those times Baekhyun and I had the chance to be in the same room together, I forgot how I was so touched and in love with the fact that he stayed to look after me last night. Maybe that's why I feel kind of awkward as if I just met Baekhyun.

"What brings you here?" I ended my question with an awkward giggle. The silence is killing me, I'm not used to us not talking or quarrelling.

"To check on you," he nonchalantly answered as he closed his eyes and lean against the backrest. "And to see if you're breathing fine now."

I didn't know what to say so looked down on my folded legs and pouted a bit. "You looked exhausted, I must be bothering you."

A little peep comes out from him, seemingly agreeing with me, that I'm indeed a bothering him. I mean, am I not a bother? He had to check if I'm recovering when he could've done better things for today. But if something happens to me the blame's on him since he's the only person who's around me most of the time. Besides, being his manager doesn't mean I'm the only one responsible of him, he's also responsible of me for following him around.

I turned to the opposite side of the bed to avoid the sight of him and dangled my legs on the edge. "You cancelled your plans with your mom, France cancelled his important business schedules, all because of me. I'm being a burden to you, to everyone," I breathed out. I don't know why, but I suddenly feel the need to tell him my thoughts, ones that has been bothering me so much. "Back then, I never tell anyone that I feel sick or I already caught a fever. I was afraid to be a burden to anyone so I'd keep it to myself and wait until I'm fine again."

"It was either I get blamed for not taking care of myself or be told that I'm being bother by making people take care of me." I just wanted to share my thoughts to him, but I found myself shedding tears the longer I look back to those time I endured sickness all alone. "I couldn't even tell anyone that my back hurts, my whole body hurts that ignoring all these nerve pain affected my health... All because I didn't want to be someone's responsibility for not looking after myself."

"When I get sick in secret, I long for the attention and care. I want to be asked if I'm fine, get me foods without asking for it purely because they were worried for me. At the same time I'm avoiding such situation at all costs." I sharply gasped for air, while wiping my tears using the back of my hand. "You should've continued your plans yesterday and never went to check on me-" tears continued descending down from my eyes, but my sentence was cut short when the other side of the bed sunk and I felt something pressing on the both sides of the space between my neck and shoulders. It was his thumbs, pushing the muscles upwards to ease the pain on that spot.

"Where does it hurt?"

I shook my head and tightly closed my eyes to squeeze out the tears as I sobbed. His voice had gone softer than the exhausted one earlier, it's warming my heart, it's making me cry more. I was looking for this, longing for this kind of moment that I don't have to say anything and someone just had to see through me.

"It's not because you're being a burden," his hands went to my lower back, then he moves them upwards to the both sides of my spine where the pain is and until back to my shoulders. I bit my bottom lip, restraining myself from sobbing harder. "It's because people are worried, we tend to say things when we really worry for someone because we unintentionally pressure ourselves to do everything for that person to get better as soon as possible."

I sniffed, "How can you say that?"

Baekhyun hums as he thought for an answer to that while hands continued on massaging my back. "I can say that because I was so worried that I told the nurses to remove the oxygen mask from you."

That made me chuckle, though my tears still won't stop from spilling themselves. "But that's not going to make me better, what if I still couldn't breathe that time?"

"It was hurting me," with his hands going upwards, his thumbs went firmer on my back as they go in circular motion. Even when he couldn't see, I cocked my head to the side and blinked my teary eyes curiously. Why would it hurt him when I'm the one who has the mask on and it wasn't even painful? The next thing he said, answered my question. "You just had a high fever, you can get through it for the next days but seeing you sleep with the mask on is making it look really serious. I was scared."

"So I went to the nurse's station and told them to see if you're breathing fine already and remove those from you." he withdraws his hands from my back so I turned my body to look at him and our eyes instantly locking. He was seated on the other side of the bed to easily reach my back, one leg folded and the other was dangling on the edge.

"Were you thinking I was going to die?"

He nodded.

"I'm not going to die, I swore to be there when we get married." he lifts an eyebrow up and that's when I realized what I just said. "I mean, you and I get married- not us! You know? It's not what you think! What I mean is when we get married individually to the person meant for us." I explained continually, then I looked away from him and scrunched my face out of embarrassment.

"I'll let-"

"Whatever! I'm sleeping." I dropped myself on the bed and pulled the covers up to my head. I'm certain he's going to tease me for that mistake. Stupid mouth!

"Y/n-"

"Don't tease me! I didn't mean to say that." I jutted my bottom lip for a pout.

"Listen, Y/n," he says with authority but never forgets to keep his voice soft. I laid on my stomach and pulled the blanket down just below my eyes to look at him, and so he went on. "From now on, you should tell me if something's hurting. Your back, head or whatever and we will figure out how to ease the pain and do something about it. Understand?"

"Okay." and I went completely inside the covers once again. I just don't want him to see that I'm turning beet red by that.

There are times he showed care for me, that is when he does something wrong and wants to apologize for it. But this is really unusual of him and as simple as that, he has my heart back in a blink of an eye. How the heck am I going to get rid w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter