Chapter Nine

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jessica and Yoona were riding in a taxi and stopped on the streets of Seoul. Jessica was amazed with the hustle and bustle of the people who crowded the area. She was also amazed by the street vendors who were selling items that looked worn, but in good condition. At first, when Jessica heard Yoona say she wanted to buy a book, she thought of a bookstore in the middle of a vast, cold city.

However, she was standing in a place where people were busy looking for obsolete goods. Yoona watched Jessica for a moment, she guessed what the princess was wondering. "Right now we're in the Dongmyo flea market,” she said, making Jessica turn her head. "Really?" she said, surprised. "Here, it doesn't just sell used goods, they also sell used books," she said as she walked near to one of the bookshelves, observing the books there.

Jessica nodded her head while staring at the mountain of magazines. She knew that if Donghae was here, they would definitely sneeze for days, because she also had a dust allergy. Finally, Jessica decided to step back and watch Yoona look for books. Meanwhile, Yoona was drowning herself in the sea of books displayed. She was busy looking for The Secret History of the World by Jonathon Black.

After reading a couple of pages, she felt like she was being brought into the journey of spiritual and mythological history, however she had to read everything very closely, or she would misunderstand the theories behind the book. Twenty minutes had passed, and Jessica stood outside, waiting for Yoona, observing her surroundings. She was busy watching the booksellers, furniture sellers, bag sellers and homeless people who were trying to sell things to survive.

She wondered how poor people were able to survive in the concrete forest. She wondered why some people lived like this, and why some people were luckier than others. A middle aged woman holding a five year old child came over to her, knocking her out of her thoughts.

They looked crumpled and shabby, one of the mother's hand held many small keychains in.. "Excuse me, would you like to buy this?" the mother asked in a melancholic voice. Instead of answering, Jessica stared at the child that she was holding. The mother's eyebrows flinched upwards, and she smiled. "Yes, she is my child," the mother said. "Miss, why didn't you leave her, even though you're poor," she asked innocently which made the mother shocked.

Her face was not as friendly and gentle as before. "Are you insulting me?" the angry mother asked. "Even though I am poor and have nothing, I have feelings unlike you," she said and stormed off, making Jessica stand there frozen, unable to say anything. Yoona peered out of the bookshelves, and stared at Jessica. She heard the whole conservation between the two women.

Apparently, Jessica was still standing silent like a statue in place, even though some people are looking at her cynically. Yoona doesn't know how to cheer Jessica up, because that's Jessica's nature. Jessica is a very straightforward person, who speaks what's on her mind, which sometimes sounds very rude. She never thought before she spoke, not everyone will be nice when she says things like that.

Sooner or later, Jessica would have to learn to be more careful when she talks. Even so, Yoona couldn't bear to see Jessica standing still with that blank stare, as if she was going to cry. Finally, Yoona ended her search for the book she had not yet found, and wandered over to the shelves selling souvenirs. Her eyes fixed on a small cat made of poplar wood displayed beautifully on the shelf.

"Sir, how much is this?" Yoona asked the seller.  "Three thousand won," he replied. "Can't you make it a little bit cheaper?" she asked him. The seller shook his head. "No way, that's already cheap!" he said. Yoona's hands immediately reached into her uniform pocket and pulled out the money. Yoona approached Jessica who was staring out in space, feeling uneasy.

"Jessica, I'm so sorry I took a while," Yoona said, the girl now staring at Yoona's arm. "Did you get the book you were looking for?" she asked. "Yeah, anyways this is for you," Yoona said, giving Jessica the small wooden cat. The girl raised her eyebrows in surprise, but a second later, her eyes were not as said as before. "The rabbit is so cute, thank you Yoongie!" she exclaimed and Yoona nodded briefly.

"But why did you buy me this doll?" she asked again, staring at Yoona. Yoona's eyebrows raised, she didn't know what to say to the girl. There was no way she would tell her the real reason. "It's okay, I wanted to give it to you," Yoona replied and pulled Jessica's hand away from the flea market. Jessica smiled again, following Yoona to the main road of the flea market. The heat of the summer sun was so intense, it made Jessica feel a little dizzy.

If Donghae knew, he would definitely be angry. Jessica waved her hand to stop the taxi that was about to pass. Although Yoona was reluctant to go into the taxi, she finally followed Jessica into the fragrant and cool taxi. During her seventeen years of life, she had only been in a taxi three times. Yoona didn't really like taking taxis, other than the expensive price, it also carried bitter memories that she didn't want to remember ever again.

The memory is related to the death of both of her parents. After their funeral, Yoona desperately hoped that she was dreaming that day, and that she would wake up later and find her parents and Irene at the dinner table, and have breakfast together. However, it was impossible, because both of her parents were gone. On their way to the funeral, neither Yoona nor Irene spoke, it was the longest silent journey in their life. 

Yoona preferred to close her eyes, trying to drive her memories out of her mind because even more bitter memories would come into her mind. Moreover, what she wanted to forget the mos

Please log in to read the full chapter