Chapter Eighteen

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

The athletic competition was held on Saturday. Donghae was focusing on Irene who seemed to be preparing on the field. A moment later, they made eye contact and Donghae waved, a sign of encouragement. Irene felt really uncomfortable, she has to focus on the match and not on Donghae. Donghae was busy imagining shooting a bow that represents his love, to Irene. 

Donghae laughed at himself, he couldn't help but wonder how he could hallucinate that much, but he was in love with Irene. Irene was someone that Donghae admired, she was so strong and so awesome. Donghae didn't need to feel tough so he could enjoy the atmosphere. Donghae feels weird about how he likes Irene romantically. Donghae heard the deep voice that belonged to the master of ceremonies.

He was calling the serial numbers of all the participants through the loudspeaker. Then he caught the voice saying Irene's name and the school she goes to. "The next participant is Joohyun from Korean International School," he said. Irene looks ready in the middle of the field, with her back towards Donghae and the other spectators.

After staring at the target that was forty meters in front of her, Irene raised the bow and began to aim. The next second, she released an arrow without hesitation towards the bull's eye. Immediately, everyone who saw her rose and clapped while Donghae gawked like a hypnotized person, with his mouth half open. Donghae felt that the target was his heart, and Irene's arrow was perfectly in the middle.

-

Now, Donghae and Irene walked to the parking lot together. He gently opened the door and told the girl to enter it. "I was really surprised when I saw you in the stands earlier," Irene said while Donghae sat behind the steering wheel. Donghae smiled faintly as he started the engine. Irene succeeded in becoming a winner and making her school proud. "I told you I would come," Donghae said.

Irene who put on the seatbelt glanced at Donghae who was focused on the road. Irene didn't think that Donghae would visit her, she thought he just said it so he could encourage her. "You're fine right, do you want to get some water?" he asked her. Irene shook her head. "No, I'm fine I already have a water bottle," she replied and pulled the water out of her bag. "Why didn't you think I would go with you?" Donghae said, confused.

Irene could only grin when she saw the shocked faces of her friends when Donghae invited her to go home together. "Because you are," Irene said. "Because of me? What did I do?" Donghe asked with his eyes widened. "Ummm..," Irene said. She was tempted to say that he was handsome, rich, smart, kind, and loved by many women, but she could only say famous. Suddenly Donghae chuckled.

"You're famous too, the whole school looks at you in awe," he said. "Who is Amber?" she asked. She saw Donghae say her name once and was curious of who she was. "She's the smart twelfth grader," he said. Irene laughed a little, no matter how good she was, she wasn't worthy to be coupled with Donghae. When she sees Jessica, she just feels really embarrassed. "By the way, why didn't Jessica come?" she asked.

She desperately wanted to change the subject, she couldn't take Donghae talk about other girls who are way more suitable than she is. She has always felt insecure whenever Donghae would talk about other girls. she just had to accept that they were different and that Donghae deserved someone of his own status, not a poor girl like her. "She's with your sister," Donghae said and Irene widened her eyes. "Really?" she asked.

"Yeah, at first she wanted to go to the movies, but your sister wanted to go to the art gallery so she went along with her," Donghae explained. Irene nodded slowly, she didn't know that her sister would dare to take Jessica anywhere. "Did you know that I am bad at badminton?" he said. "What!" Irene exclaimed. "That's a lie. Badminton is such an easy sport," she said. "I'm serious! I can't play badminton to save my life," Donghae said.

 Irene laughed at how silly Donghae was. "Donghae, what's wrong?" she asked. Donghae laughed but stopped because his cellphone rang, and Donghae's face turned pale when he recognized who it was. He immediately picked up the phone. "Hello?" he asked. "Yes yes, I'll be there now," he said. After disconnecting the call, Donghae sighed in relief. When he saw the number on his cellphone he thought his heart would stop. 

He was grateful that it wasn't what he thought it was. "Are you okay?" a worried Irene asked. Donghae immediately nodded. "Sorry but we can't go home first. Is it okay if we run an errand first?" he asked. Even though she didn't know where Donghae wanted to go, Irene agreed immediately. She didn't want to go home anyway, she just wanted to be with Donghae a little longer, maybe forever with just the two of them.

-

Irene stared around the hospital corridors that seemed busy with different

Please log in to read the full chapter