Chapter Fifteen

The Brightest Star
Please log in to read the full chapter

"What would you guys want to drink?" Irene asked Jessica and Donghae, while Yoona glared at the two. She wasn’t sure what Donghae was intending to do with her sister. When Jessica and Donghae leave, Yoona intends to talk seriously to Irene. Yoona knew that Irene had feelings towards Donghae and was determined to stop them, before it's too late. "Anything," Jessica said cheerfully.

"Just normal water, make sure it's lukewarm," Donghae said, correcting Jessica. "Thank you Donghae," Jessica said and smiled. Yoona just stared alternately at Donghae and Jessica, she could not understand the two of them. How could Jessica easily express love to her when she already has Donghae? Yoona wanted to go to the bathroom, too dizzy to think about it. She wanted to change her clothes and she couldn't change right there.

She thought that she just needs to be alone for a few moments, to fix her mind and calm her heart. Yoona came and put the two glasses of water on the table. "Yoona, where are you going?" Jessica asked after Yoona stood up and was about to go to the bathroom. "Maybe she wants to change her clothes," Irene said, even though she clearly saw Yoona’s face of dislike towards Donghae.

Irene knew that Yoona was restraining herself by studying, she already has something that makes her heart happy. "Is she always like that? Wait don't tell me, I can read it!" he said, making Irene and Jessica laugh. "No, when we were in elementary and middle school, Yoona was the dumbest student in school. She was ranked very low, but she was too lazy to study," Irene said. "What?!" Jessica and Donghae exclaimed at the same time.

They were so surprised by what Irene said just now. They couldn't imagine seeing Yoona getting low grades. Irene smiled, amused at the two people. "Yeah, she changed dramatically after our parents passed away," Irene said while hiding the smile on her face. "That's because she had to fulfill her last promise to them," said Irene. "Was that a promise to study?" Jessica guessed while making Irene's eyes widen.

"Yes, Yoona promised to study. After our parents died, she would drown in her studies," said Irene. Jessica and Donghae were silent, listening intently to Irene's story. "Besides, we can't continue to depend on our parent's inheritance, so we have to be very good at frugality," Irene said and paused for a second while looking at the two people in front of her alternately. "Yoona was so determined to get a scholarship, that's why she studied so hard," Irene said.

"Whoa,  I didn't know Yoona was that ambitious," Donghae said. Jessica was deep in thought, she remembered Yoona's words when she was in the library. So this was the test that Yoona was facing. Yoona lost her parents at a young age and now she has to study hard to change her fate. Yoona and Irene were truly independent and hardworking girls. The sound of knocking awakened the three out of their thoughts.

Irene hurried and opened the door. She saw a middle aged man who was smiling kindly towards them. Irene was very surprised by the presence of the man. "Junho," she said. "Good morning Irene, I'm here to collect the money," he said. Irene was a little jolted because Mr. Junho asked for the money when she didn't have any. "Umm... shouldn't it be by the end of the month?" she asked him.

"Yes I know, but I need the money now," Junho insisted. "But I don't have the money yet sir," she said. "I don't care, just give it to me," he said. "How much is it?" the deep voice behind Irene startled them. Donghae smiled looking at Junho who had a surprised face while taking out his wallet. From the middle of the room, Jessica and Donghae heard a commotion and Donghae decided to go and help Irene.

"How much do I have to pay?" he asked, and Junho just stared at him. "Eight hundred thousand won," Junho said as if he wasn't sure about it. Donghae removed a couple of bills and gave it to Junho without counting it first. Irene and Junho only stared at the money that Donghae brought. This wasn't even close to the amount a normal high schooler would bring to school.

However Donghae felt the opposite, the money meant nothing to him. "Thank you," Junho answered nervously. The man immediately turned his gaze to Irene. "Irene, the money is settled this month. Goodbye," Junho said bowing and left. Irene felt even more uneasy with Donghae. "Irene, who was that?" Yoona asked. Irene widened her eyes in surprise, Yoona's voice immediately caused a scary atmosphere.

Donghae immediately turned around and looked at Yoona who changed into a casual shirt. "Junho," replied an afraid Irene. "He wanted to collect the money early," she said. "Wait, but wasn't it supposed to be at the end of the month?" Yoona said. Before Irene could answer, Donghae cut her off. "Calm down, I already paid for it," Donghae said. Irene gulped when Donghae said that, she thinks that something bad would happen after this.

Yoona immediately glared at him with her two eyebrows fused. "What did you just say?" she asked. "I already paid, chill down will you?” he continued as he glanced at Yoona who had cast a horror expression. "What did you say? Are you crazy?" Yoona said firmly. "You paid eight hundred thousand won for my rent?" she asked. Donghae casually nodded her head without any objections at all.

For him, paying eight hundred thousand won was like buying a pack of chips. "What school kid brings that much money?" Yoona asked unexpectedly, she was shocked. "I bring it in case I need it later," Donghae said without feeling guilty, it was natural for him. "But eight hundred thousand won is not a small number," Yoona said as her head throbbed violently. She did not want to be in debt to Jessica or Donghae.

"Just relax, why are you so annoyed?" Donghae asked. Yoona looked at Donghae sharply, she hissed annoyed. The boy didn't know what it was like to be in her position. Maybe for him, it was easy to return the money, but for Yoona and Irene it's not something easy like picking leaves from a branch. Yoona and Irene learned to appreciate the money, unlike Donghae and Jessica who were born with silver spoons in their mouths.

Seeing the small dispute, Jessica decided to approach the three people who were still standing at the door, and she touched Yoona's arm. "I have an idea," she said. Yoona, Donghae, and Irene immediately looked at Jessica who was already smiling. "Yoongie, you don't want to be in debt to Donghae," she asked, staring softly into Yoona's eyes, and the girl immediately nodded.

"So why don't you tutor me and Donghae?" Jessica asked. Yoona's eyes widened and dropped open, while Donghae welcomed Jessica's proposal, which he thought was good. "That's a great idea Jess," Donghae said smiling excitedly while looking at Irene. "No way," Yoona said, making the three people look at her. "I can't, there's no time. Anyways, shouldn't you take lessons?" she asked.

"What do you mean?" Donghae asked, not understanding. "Shouldn't you be doing something else?" she asked.  "Why are you saying that? Donghae also goes to school to learn," Jessica said. "Jessica's right. Personally, instead of tutoring people at your level, you should teach many people so you can become smart," Donghae said.

Yoona fell silent immediately, but she was determined to reject the offer. "So do you want to do it or not?" he asked. "I don't want to," Yoona said seriously. "Okay, then give me back my money," he said, extending his hand in front of Yoona. Yoona finally agreed and the two people smiled with satisfaction. Yoona couldn't move, and Donghae knew he won the argument.

-

Ever since then, Donghae and Jessica studied with Yoona, who was tutoring them. Donghae was very happy because he can linger around Yoona's apartment and be around Irene longer. However, Donghae had to be very patient because his wish wasn't fulfilled immediately. Irene had to meet Siwon to check the archery range.

At first, Jessica and Donghae had to console Yoona who was in an unbelievably bad mood, because she couldn't accept the reality. Now the three of them are studying biology in Yoona's house, because there will be a pop quiz tomorrow. Irene had been gone for a few minutes because she had to go to the bathroom. Now Yoona was watching the two people who were reading the book intently, clearly visible from their shriveled foreheads.

"By the way, why did you two enter science?" Yoona asked. She couldn't understand why Donghae and Jessica took science. They shouldn't force themselves to take courses that weren't in accordance with their abilities and capacities. "That's because Donghae's father wanted him to major in mechanical engineering," Jessica said, making Yoona raise her head and look at Donghae.

"Are you sure you want to be a mechanical engineer?" Yoona asked. "I don't know," Donghae said while shrugging. Yoona gave a small nod while turning pages of the book. She knew that Donghae had no freedom to decide what he wanted for himself. They should be able to decide something for themselves. If you think about it again, many parents don't care about their children, they only care about the income of their future.

  They only want their children to be what they want in their own minds, without wanting to understand the child's will capacities. Yoona realized that it had a bad impact, just like what she discussed with Xiumin and Taeyeon a couple days ago. "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Donghae asked. "Oh I want to be a curriculum expert," Yoona replied, but D

Please log in to read the full chapter