Bitter Truth

You Don't Know Love

Hanging out with Jongin has become a routine. Its not like she's forcing him to hang out with her or something, rather is the other way around. Jongin was adamant about befriending Bakehyun all right, being the one who begged her to hang out with him every now and then. Jongin is like a kid, he'd pout if he don't get what he wants. Baekhyun often tells him that she wants to study but that doesn't stop Jongin from trailing behind her to the library but at the same time she couldn't just find the heart to reject him.

One day when the two of them were eating lunch at the cafeteria; what seemed to be Jongin's friends approached their table. Baekhyun stopped talking with Jongin to see the people standing in front of them. If she's not mistaken, they seemed to be the member of the school's basketball team. While Baekhyun was looking up to Jongin's friends, she was surprised to see that one of them was someone she's familiar with, too familiar. She immediately looks down fondling with her phone, pretending to be busy with something.

 

The other guy asked him about their practice schedule and earned the answer from Jongin about the new schedule practice arranged by the coach. She thought that they'll leave as soon as they're done with their business but instead they chose to stay put near the table. The guy who was talking to Jongin earlier was obviously staring at Baekhyun now with a judgmental stare, causing Baekhyun to fidget under his stare.

He then stares at her from the head to her toes, "Who is she?"

"This is my friend Baekhyunnie," Jongin introduced her so casually.

Baekhyun looked up when her name was being mentioned. She bowed her head slightly while muttering, "Nice to meet you."

He smirked and turned to Jongin, "Yah Kai why are you hanging out with this nerd?"

Jongin stared at him making sure if he's hearing things right, "Excuse me?"

They failed to see the other guy's shock reaction at the question. "Why are you hanging out with a nerd? Are you that bored?" He asked monotonously.

Jongin stood up immediately grabbing the collar of his friend, "That girl has a name and you better say sorry to her this instance."

Baekhyun quickly pull Jongin down by his arm, "Nini, its okay just let it go."

The guy huffed, "Nini huh? Whoa you two must be pretty close to call each other with pet names... Still I wonder though, why would you waste your time with this girl? She's not even hot dude, right Chanyeol?"

She doesn't dare to look up nor listen to whatever Chanyeol's response going to be. After a moment of silence with no words being said, Baekhyun understand the meaning behind the silence. She suddenly stand up getting out of her seat, walking away from the table, successfully bumping Chanyeol in the shoulder as she made her way out of the canteen.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol tensed when she bumps into him, turning his gaze to where Baekhyun ran off to.

Jongin lets go of his friend's collar, trying to run after her but was held back by the guy.

"Come on man, let the nerd be. I can find you someone better."

"Shut the up Kris," with that he pushed him off and follow after Baekhyun.

Kris dust off his uniform, "Whats wrong with Kai I swear, he has no taste on girls."

Chanyeol wanted to say something but stopped himself from doing so, "I have to go."

"Hmm Chanyeol?" The tall guy left the cafeteria feeling uneasy at the thought of Baekhyun sudden disappearance.

 

 

-

 

 

Baekhyun thought that she was never coming back to the 'the class' ever again but here she is sitting behind one of the desk, pulling her legs up to her chest, crying silently so that no one can hear her.

Not a couple of minutes later there was a sound of the door sliding.

It was abruptly open, making her snap from her knees.

 

how did Jongin found her, did she perhaps run too slow?

 

She was about to tell Jongin that she needed some space but when she looked up, she was surprised at the newcomer.

Instead of seeing her friend, she was looking at the last person she wanted to see.

There he was, Park Chanyeol standing only a few meters away from her.

 

She quickly wiped her tears and looked away.

"W-what are you doing here?" She asked with a hoarse voice while standing up.

"A-are you okay?" He stepped closer.

"Stop, don't step any more closer," She said sternly.

"What?" Chanyeol was confused of her figure retreating away from him as if he's some kind of monster.

"Just go, you don't want people to find out that you're here hanging out with a nerd."

"What? No one knows about this place."

"-and it should stay that way, so I advised you to get out."

"Why are you like this?" Chanyeol asked in all seriousness.

"Then why are you like them?!" Baekhyun almost yelled not able to hold herself back.

"What the baek?! Im just trying to help you." Chanyeol said in a pissed tone.

"I don't need your help okay? I don't want your pity." She tried to suppress her cries.

She walked away from him wanting to get out of the classroom, not being able to handle it any longer.

Baekhyun starts walking away but Chanyeol grabbed her arm stopping her track.

 

"Baekhyun.. what.. what happened to us?" He asked her hesitantly with a shaky voice.

She faced Chanyeol and scoffed, "Really?"

 

She removed Chanyeol's grip on her arm and continued, "Look Chanyeol... first of al, i like to clear a few things out. I wanted to apologize, I am sorry for what i did... for kissing you out of the blue.

I've wanted to apologize to you properly but I never got the chance to. There were many times when I tried to approach you but it just seemed like you're avoiding me on purpose."

She braced herself to continue again, "Then I came to a realization, something that I've been feeling for a while but i chose to ignore it."

 

She paused for awhile.

 

"You...You're ashamed of me right?"

Chanyeol was taken back by the question, "H-huh w-what?"

Baekhyun smiled sadly, "I-its okay, I know myself... its not a surprise that you thought of me that way too. Many people have been treating me this way since school starts anyway, by now I'm already used to it."

Chanyeol was quiet.

"But you Chanyeol... you made me think that you're different," She took of her glasses to wipe her tears.

"I-if you would've just- just treated me badly from the start then it won't hurt as much." She stared at him with sadness.

"I-i know I'm not like other girls, I'm weird and ugly but you gave me the idea that Its okay to be myself, when in reality its not and will never be."

Chanyeol had a surprised look on his face that Baekhyun just couldn't read.

 

"So please, just leave me alone. Don't try to help me or anything else. Lets just pretend to not know each other like before." Baekhyun then run away from the classroom leaving Chanyeol all alone in there.
 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun went home as fast as she can, locking herself in her room, crying her eyes out into the pillow.

 

Of course Chanyeol was one of them, he just had to be one of 'them', the reason behind her anxiety and insecurities.

Did she do the right thing by pushing Chanyeol away?

 

 

She thinks back to accident earlier, how Chanyeol just stood there letting his friend say all those mean things about her. She cries harder knowing that they are too different from each other. Baekhyun was heartbroken when she realized that she'll never be enough for Chanyeol.

 

He was ashamed of her

 

She curled herself on the bed, letting the tears falls continuously. She hates herself for being so weak. She used to be stronger towards the insults that was thrown at her so why does when Chanyeol does it, it hurts more than it should have. Her phone was ringing consistently but she chose to ignore the notifications, wanting to be alone for a while and letting sleep take over her.