Participating

You Don't Know Love

"Baekhyun-ah!" Jongin called trying to get her attention.

Baekhyun looked up from her book annoyingly, "Yah Kim Jongin! I just got something inspiring to write and now its gone thanks to you. I was this close in finishing the song." She joined her thumb and index finger together, showing the little the space.

"Pfft it'll come around later~ I have more important thing to say to you."

She tilts her head, "This better be good jongin."

Jongin showed her a small brochure of a school event, "Take a look at this!"

She scanned through the paper and look back to him confusedly, "Yeah is the school festival. We have this every year, whats so new about this?"

Jongin laughed evilly at baekhyun. "Yah... what are you thinking?"

"Byun baekhyun, you are joining this," He points at the brochure.

"What?! I never agreed on joining anything Jongin!" She said almost yelling at jongin's statement.

"Oh-no-no, baek you are joining this. I will not take no for an answer." Jongin emphasize.

"Well I will ," she stood up from the bench gathering her stuff ready to leave jongin in the garden alone.

"Yah byun baekhyun, you can't just ignore this!" Jongin points at the brochure.

"Watch me," she said challenging him while proceeding on walking away.

Jongin huffed in annoyance and run to catch baekhyun by the arm. "Look, I have a reason for you to join this okay? I wouldn't just carelessly ask you to join something without a purpose."

Baekhyun crossed her arms, "Go on."

"Remember when you said, you wanted to prove the others that you're not just a nerd?"

"Joining the festival has nothing to do with it!"

"It does! When I was in the middle school I couldn't dance freely, I was practically ashamed of it and deep down I knew that I needed to do something to overcome it in order for me to properly express myself. Yeah I got encouraging words and a never ending support from kyungsoo but that doesn't covered the whole anxiety of it."

Baekhyun stayed quiet listening to jongin's words.

"When I finally got the courage to dance in front of people, I felt at ease after doing it. Like a huge weight has been lift off my shoulders." Jongin smiled to himself.

"When I heard the crowd cheers, man. I was thinking 'have I been missing out on this?' then I finally understand. There are people who'd make fun of you but there'd be people to cheer on you. For those who truly enjoyed my performance, have made me feel special, and ever since that, I've promised myself to work harder so that I can show them a better side of me, and at the same time giving the haters a big slap to their faces," Jongin sassed at the end.

"But you're good at what you're doing nini," Baekhyun reasoned almost whining.

"Hey! I heard you singing without you knowing and lemme tell you, if I was Simon Cowell i'd say 'You're going to Hollywood!'"

"Simon Cowell is no longer in American Idol."


"Fine! I'd push the golden button then!"

Baekhyun laughed and become quiet the next second.

Jongin was looking at her, hoping that his story can change her mind.

"Ugh.. Fine! I'll join the stupid festival."

"Woo-Hoo! thats more like it!" Jongin cheers putting his arm around baekhyun.

"I'm gonna kill you if ended up embarrassing myself in front of the whole school."

"Well thats for you to work on."

Baekhyun pouts.

"If it makes you feel better, Im joining the festival too." Jongin coos at her.

Baekhyun stares at jongin uninterestedly and decided to walk to class, leaving him alone.

"Yah Byun! Fine, I'll see you later~" Jongin yelled while waving.

 

 

-

 

 

Baekhyun entered the class head clouded with worry. She just agreed on joining the festival because of Jongin. Did she make the wrong choice? What if she ended up as the school's laughing stock? Realizing the worst case scenario was making her panic at the possible turn outs of event.

 

I got to call it off, I should tell jongin I'm backing out. Ill find a reason somehow..

 

Just as she was about to go out the class to find jongin, the bell rung indicating the end of the break.

She huffed, pulling out her phone to text jongin.

 

Jongin-ah, about the festival...

 

The door slide with the teacher entering, making the students shuffle into their own perspective seats.

"Okay class I need you to pull out your textbook and open chapter 5."

 

 

-

 

 

After two and a half hour, the class finally reach to its end.

 

"Okay class don't forget to do your homework."

 

By then the students are already packing their stuffs ready for lunch. Baekhyun usually stays around in class first so that she can avoid her classmates.

"Excuse me, miss byun." The teacher called.

Baekhyun stand up from her seat heading towards the teacher's desk, "Yes sir?"

"here's your paper score."

Baekhyun smiled as she received the paper with satisfying mark.

"I must say, your score is outstanding. You never fail to surprise me in every test."

"Ah, thank your sir."

"I have a favor to ask you though miss byun"

Baekhyun raised her head from the paper.

"How would you like to tutor one of your friend for math?"

Baekhyun's eyes turns wide at the question. "Sir, with all due respect, I'm not good really in talking, let alone teaching."

"Oh come on miss byun, don't think so low of yourself. You can do this okay? The reason why I chose you in the first place was because not only you're smart but you're very kind. So I'm sure anyone would be glad to study with you."

Baekhyun looked away for a moment, burdened by the sudden favor.

"I'll give you extra credit."

 

honestly at this point I don't really need one.

 

"Fine, look at it as a part time job."

"What? so you're gonna pay me? I can't receive such money from you."

"Everyone in here has their own benefit. I don't have to teach him again incase he repeats another year, he's gonna get smarter -meaning good university, and you- you're gonna get extra allowance."

Baekhyun ponders for a while.

"Sir, are you even sure the student wants me to teach them?"

"Oh miss byun, he doesn't want to, He needs to."

"S-sir, I'm-"

"Please miss byun, this student's future lies within you. If he fails the upcoming test again, I don't think any university would accept him. You do know that math is mandatory right?"

Baekhyun felt bad for the guy but it was his fault for not paying attention to class anyway. But she too doesn't want to disappoint the teacher. After a short contemplation she finally reached her decision,"I-i guess I'm not left with any option."

"Thats the spirit! I'll inform you about him soon okay?"

"Okay sir, I'll be going now." She bowed her teacher and went out of the classroom.

 

 

-

 

 

She went out the class and walked up the stairs immediately, avoiding the other students. She ran to the stairs opening up the door to the rooftop. When she reached the rooftop she moved towards the railings, grabbing them tightly.

"Ahh!! Really teaching!? What was he thinking?! I'm just gonna end up being ignored by the guy. Isn't he a little bit too naive? This is so annoying urghh!" Baekhyun yelled out her frustration while stomping her foot irritatedly.

"-Not to mention the festival Jongin forced me to join," She closed her eyes whining at her problems.

 

"Yah! Aren't you being a little bit too loud?" Someone approached her from the back making baekhyun turn around quickly.

 

Oh .