Tutoring

You Don't Know Love

It was Friday, when baekhyun got the message from her teacher about her job tutor. Mr. Jeon only told her where should she wait and that the guy would be the one to come over to her so there she is, in front of the library waiting for someone she doesn't even know who. Its been only 5 minutes but baekhyun is being anxious right now. What if the guy went there already but turn his back as soon as he saw baekhyun. She was biting her lips, trying to suppress herself from being jumpy. She took a look at her watch and saw that its already 10 minutes since the designated time.

 

Yup the guy totally ditch me, now I looked more like a loner than I already am. Should I wait a little bit more?

 

Just when baekhyun take a look around, her eyes landed on someone who's been showing up at the most unconventional time. She cursed internally, thinking of ways to avoid the giant. If I leave my spot the dude would have a hard time looking for me, Ugh.. why didn't Mr. Jeon just give mr his phone number for God sake we're living in the 21st century. As chanyeol come closer, baekhyun was left with no choice.

 

i have to go in the library.

she eyed the library door and make a quick run to it.

 

 

Baekhyun went in the library and stayed inside for a while, prolonging the hiding. After calculating the proximity of time, Baekhyun decided to wait for around 5 minutes, making sure that by then chanyeol must have left already. After a couple of good minutes she went out of the library, pretending like she just finished studying in there. When she pushed the door, she looked to her right and let out a long breath in relief because she doesn't spot any giant. Baekhyun then walked passed the door and walked to her left, but stopping herself from taking another step further.

 

Gulp.

Baekhyun steps back slowly and quietly when she saw a familiar looking person standing not too far from her.

If I leave quietly, I might not just get—

 

"Baek?" The guy turns around when he heard a sound.

 

—caught.

she turns around slowly to the guy

 

"Hi...Chanyeol." She said awkwardly.

"Just got out from the library?"

"Y-yeah..."

"Studying for finals?"

She only nods at the question, not even looking at the guy. After the question, no one was speaking. The atmosphere was undeniably awkward. Baekhyun then decided to not be rude and ask him the same question, only for the sake of formality.

"W-what about you?" 

Chanyeol was taken back when baekhyun asked him a question, "I'm waiting for someone."

Baekhyun's hummed in respond, nodding at him while looking around. Her thoughts was actually running wild. She was speculating how Chanyeol must be waiting for Jinah. Before thinking of leaving the place, Chanyeol continues, "I'm waiting for my tutor."

Baekhyun quickly face him with a surprised look, then turning back to the floor again, trying to process what he just said.

 

No it can't be.

 

When chanyeol doesn't get any reply, he chose to stay quiet thinking how maybe baekhyun still doesn't want to talk to him. He was already happy that baekhyun acknowledge his presence so he doesn't want to push his luck. After a couple of moments of silence, baekhyun finally utter something, "F-for... math?" She asked quietly.

"Huh? Yeah for math," Chanyeol said casually still clueless of the situation.

"From... Mr. Jeon?" She whispered.

"Yeah.. how did you know? Do you— Wait, are you?" He tilts his head, pointing at her questionably.

She nods hesitantly, not being able to look at him in the eye.

His brows furrow and his eyes turns wider, finally realizing the situation.

"Ah? B-baek... I didn't know about this. I didn't plan it —It was all his doings!"

Baekhyun looks away biting her lips, a habit of her when she's nervous.

"L-look I'm sorry, I could just ask for another tutor. I-i know you're not comfortable with me so I'll just—"

"N-no, its okay... I need the job anyway..." She stuttered.

"You're getting paid from this?"

"Yeah I am..."

"S-so you're okay with this?"

"Yeah, I should act professional about it."

"Um.. Okay, W-where do you want to study?"

"Library? I mean we're here already so might as well,"

 

Chanyeol agreed to the suggestion and made his way towards the library, choosing the table at the far corner. Baekhyun sits next to him. She was very nervous, its been a while since she sits really close to him. Back then she never had any trouble from doing so but now, she's being all fidgety in her seat, "S-so which topic do you want to study?"

"Hm whichever I guess?"

"Lets start with your weakest topic then."

Chanyeol was rubbing the back of his neck, "I...I'm actually bad at everything."

"There must've been one topic that you did well."

Chanyeol hands her his quizzes.

Baekhyun inspect the paper and turns into an 'O'

"Oh wow, I guess you weren't joking. B-but its okay though... That's why we study right?" Baekhyun asked sheepishly.

Chanyeol nods slowly.

"Okay lets just start with the easier topic then, how about that?"

After chanyeol's approval Baekhyun begin teaching him.

She teaches him step by step. Chanyeol can be a little slow in understanding sometimes so baekhyun make sure to teach him very carefully. She also shows him an easier way to solve each of the question. When he answered wrongly, she never once yell nor show any tired expression. Instead, she asked him which part does he still not understand and explaining it once again, slowly but surely.

Throughout the studying session, Chanyeol focuses on whatever baekhyun is saying, not wanting her to tire herself from teaching him. He knows he can be little bit of handful sometimes so he puts his full attention on her. He was in shock of how she can make him understand math very easily, unlike his teacher who actually has a degree in teaching.

"Do you understand?"

"Yeah, I think I get the hang of it."

"Then you can start working on the questions I prepared for you."

Chanyeol grabbed the paper and starts doing the questions diligently, looking really determined on finishing  the task from Baekhyun. Baekhyun might look like she's observing Chanyeol's work but she was actually looking at Chanyeol's focus face. Baekhyun must admit, he looks really adorable when he's thinking hardly. Well this is not as bad as baekhyun thought it'd be, its actually enjoyable.

When chanyeol finishes his work, baekhyun checks his paper and was surprised to see how chanyeol got most of the questions correct. "Whoa good job chanyeol, you're good at this."

"N-no, You're the one who's good at teaching." he said embarrassedly.

She chuckled, "Well there's still at least four more topics to cover. Since finals is near, we don't have that much time left. Lets arrange the schedule okay?"

They arranged the tutoring schedule and came up with 4 more sessions. After packing everything back to their bag they proceed on exiting the library. When they got out, Chanyeol's phone rings, "Hello? Hm... yeah okay, Me? I just got out from the library. What do mean why? —Of course to study! Finals is near you doofus. Well, do you want me to play for the championship or not?"

Baekhyun couldn't help but to listen to chanyeol's conversation with his friend through the phone call.

"Yeah thats what I thought. Kay see you later." Chanyeol abruptly hangs up the call.

"So, you're doing this for the championship huh?"

"Huh? Oh Yeah,  Mr. Jeon told me that he'll ask coach to exclude me from the game if I failed finals."

"Well, you should work hard then." Baekhyun starts walking away from the library.

Chanyeol quickly catch up to baekhyun, walking by her side, "Yes I am planning to. Anyway... thanks for not bailing on me."

"Yeah, no problem." She said in monotonously.

They walked side by side to the parking lot in silence. There's not much students lingering around, mainly because its way past their dismissal time, "Baek I've been meaning to ask something."

Baekhuyn only hums.

"What happened to your glasses?"

"Oh? Uh... Its broken."

"Whoa really? Thats too bad...How do you see properly then?"

"I mean its not that bad, Its manageable. I can still see where I'm going but its a little bit difficult to read.. Thats why I accepted the offer."

"Oh right..." Chanyeol said disappointedly.

He quickly shrugged himself and throw her a suggestion, "Why don't you just buy contacts? Just for the time being. Its pretty affordable."

"does it hurt?"

"Nah, it might be a little difficult to put on the first try but you'll manage. You're a clever girl after all"

"Right.. I'll do that," she nodded at idea.

 

.

.

.

 

When baekhyun exits the parking lot and heading to the bus stop, chanyeol run to her side again quickly halting her from taking another step further, "Baek wait! Let me take you home."

baekhyun looked back at him and letting go of his grip on her arm slowly, "Thanks for the offer but i don't think thats necessary chanyeol."

"Its okay, you helped me studying so the least i can do is-"

"Yeol, i get paid from teaching you. Thats my supposed job, so everything is fair. You're not oblige to return anything."

baekhyun then looked away, "Besides i'm just your tutor and i'd like to keep it that way."

Chanyeol looks down to his feet, "R-right.."

A couple of seconds later a bus came into the stop, "The bus is here."

"R-right, be careful though."

"You too, Hey don't forget to review what we learned today okay?" She warns.

chanyeol laughed softly while giving her a salute, "Okay teach."

"Okay I'll see you on the next meeting." she walks towards the bus leaving chanyeol behind.

 

 

Of course baekhyun draw the line already,

Chanyeol sigh at the thought.

 

Im not giving in though, after that dream i'm contented on mending our relationship. I will try to get her back into my life even though we might only end up as friends, it is still better than nothing or a temporary tutor-student relationship.

Chanyeol smiled at the thought and begin walking back to his car plotting some ideas for the upcoming study sessions with her.