Last Life

Chaennie Shots (Volume 1)

Push me a mile away, I’ll run to you. Always.

Put us oceans apart, I’ll calm the seas to sail to you.

Even in another life, under another sky, I will still find you.

This is my promise to you.

-Freaking romance.

“No matter what, I will always find you. Always. Remember that.”

 

New York City - 1900

 

“Not this again Roseanne.” Lily sighed, taking the glass of whisky from the brunette’s hand.

 

“I haven’t done anything Lils relax.” Roseanne chuckled, grabbing the glass back from the blonde, chugging the amber liquid, the bitter taste running down .

 

“I know that’s what worries me.” Lily grumbled, plopping on the bar stool next to the girl, motioning for the bartender to give her the same drink, noticing the way her friend’s eyes are lingering on a certain someone. “That’s her huh?” Lily voiced out, earning a small nod from the brunette, “And you still haven’t done anything, why is that?” Lily asked, taking a sip.

 

“Do I have to do something?”

 

“How many lifetimes has it been? Everytime she is reincarnated for some reason you always manage to find her.” Lily gave her friend a look.

 

“If it’s not enough that I’ve lived many lives, but for some reason the universe seems to always find a way to cross our strings together.” Roseanne chuckled, her eyes once again finding the black haired beauty on the other side of the bar, resting her head on some soldier’s shoulder comfortably, “Always.”

 

“So what? Are you going to ignore her this time? For once?” Lily questioned again for the nth time since the two have known each other.

 

“We go through this in each lifetime,” Roseanne began, “I find her and you ask me if I’ll ignore her. And each time I answer no, because we both know I would be lying if I said yes.”

 

“Our tradition. It’s nice.” Lily chuckled, getting the answer from her friend, albeit in a roundabout fashion.

 

“But you know Annie, you’ve never told me how you always seem to know that it’s her.” Lily pondered, her gaze also watching the black haired beauty.

 

“It’s her eyes, Lils.” Roseanne smiled, getting up and making her way towards the dark haired girl, who is now alone.

 

“How many lifetimes have we known each other Annie...and in each lifetime we go through this...and every time you let her go.” Lily sighed, watching her best friend walk towards another heartbreak.

 

“Hello there.” Roseanne charmingly smiled at the dark haired woman, handing her a cigarette, “Thank you uhm?”

 

“Oh where are my manners, Roseanne, and you?”

 

“Ruby Jane.” The girl smiled, taking Roseanne’s hand for a quick shake.

 

“So what brings you to the city?” Ruby Jane asked, while lighting the cigarette with Roseanne’s lighter.

 

“How’d you know I’m not from here?”

 

“Just a hunch.”

 

“Right.”

 

“So, Ruby Jane would you like to get out of here with me?” Roseanne asked, knowing full well the girl won’t refuse...after all Ruby Jane has also been watching the brunette since they caught each other’s eyes.

 

“I’d love to.”

 

~ ~

 

“It’s been 10 years now Rosie, but you still look the same as the first day we met.” Ruby Jane smiled, snuggling into the brunette warm embrace.

 

“Has it? I feel like it was only yesterday.” Roseanne chuckled, tracing her hand up and down the girl’s back, wanting to keep her close.

 

“Smooth aren’t you.” Ruby Jane chuckled, “Say Rosie, what do you think about getting away from here?”

 

“From New York? But you love it here.”

 

“I do, but you see..” Ruby Jane bit her lower lip, not sure on how to tell the love of her life about her parent’s wishes.

 

“It’s about your parents again? Wanting you to marry that bozo Tom.” Roseanne rolled her eyes.

 

“I’ve been trying to convince them that I don’t love Tom, that it’s you that I want to be with, but...they are adamant. I’m scared that my father will do something that can harm you.” Ruby Jane, tightening her grip on Roseanne’s waist, afraid that her father can harm the woman she adores so much.

 

“Don’t worry love, your father won’t be able to hurt me, trust me.” Roseanne assured the girl, kissing the crown of her head, “Now get some rest. I’ll be here when you wake.”

 

~ ~ ~

 

“You know, you’ll have to tell her sooner or later.”

 

“I know Lils. I know.” Roseanne sighed, taking in the sight of the city, from the top floor of The Plaza.

 

“We’ve been here for too long now Annie. It’s almost been 20 years. I know Ruby Jane is questioning us. We haven’t aged since we first met.”

 

“I know Lils..I know.” Roseanne replied, like a broken record. Ruby Jane has been asking why Roseanne seems to never get a wrinkle or to age. Joking how the girl must have found the fountain of youth and to share her secrets, oh if only she knew.

 

“It’s usually 10 years Annie. You usually stay by her side for 10 years, before you leave her, so why is it that you can’t seem to leave Ruby Jane?” Lily questioned, her mind trying to figure out why the brunette is so smitten with this particular reincarnation of that woman.

 

“Because 10 years was the time limit I set for myself. I told myself that I can hold her in my arms for 10 years, and then I’d leave, because our love won’t bear any fruit, but with each lifetime that passes..each decade… it gets harder and harder to leave her. I know the risk of staying, but Ruby Jane is different Lils and I want to give us a chance in this lifetime.. To be happy even if it’s just one lifetime.” Roseanne replied, staring at the portrait of the woman on her wall.

 

“But she’s so different from her.”

 

“Yeah..she’s not Soojung, but Ruby Jane embodies her charm, wit, intelligence, cute little quirks, but she’s also different. I just want to be with her.”

 

“Annie…”

 

“I promised.” Roseanne smiled at her friend, “I promised Soojung that I would always find her no matter what. Always.”

 

“And you did again, but Annie...people are starting to talk. Our friends are starting to ask questions. Do I have to remind you of what happened in the past? We tried telling people we thought we could trust about us, but we were betrayed. We need to leave again Roseanne. We need to go back to our safe house and lay low for a few decades.” Lily tried to convince her friend.

 

“I trust Ruby Jane.”

 

“Annie…”

 

“She deserves to know.” Roseanne spoke with finality, and Lily knows there’s no convincing her friend.

 

“Alright, but we need to leave soon Annie. Promise me you’ll tell her by the morning.”

 

“I promise.”

 

The following morning, Lily and Roseanne went over to the apartment owned by Ruby Jane. The girls packed and ready to go to their own little island off the coast of Australia.

 

“You think she will come?” Lily asked as the two got in the elevator.

 

“Yeah.” Roseanne smiled.

 

The two made their way to the unit, but a shroud of dread suddenly fell over Roseanne. Something felt off.

 

“There’s something wrong.” She voiced out, hastening her pace to Ruby Jane’s. The sight that greeted the two enraged the brunette. On the floor, a small pool of blood around her body was Ruby Jane, gasping while clutching onto her side.

 

“YOU!” Roseanne quickly lept at Tom, pushing him on the ground and began to pound him with all the strength in her body, “WHAT DID YOU DO! YOU BASTARD!” Roseanne lost it, Tom was bloodied and unconscious.

 

“Annie stop you’ll kill him.” Lily tried to grab Roseanne but the brunette shrugged her away.

 

Ruby Jane was watching trying to use all the strength she had in her body to reach Roseanne to stop her before she kills Tom, but all she could muster out was a weak, “Rosie.” But it was enough to snap Roseanne from her violent rage, and to quickly go to the girl.

 

“I’m here love.” Roseanne spoke softly, clutching on the side where that bastard stabbed, trying to stop the blood.

 

“I’m okay.” Ruby Jane choked out, finding the strength to smile at her girl.

 

“Lils.” Roseanne looked at her friend, who was already calling for 911.

 

“Hey Rosie, listen to me.” Ruby Jane spoke in a soft voice, trying to stay awake long enough to memorize Roseanne’s face, “Rosie, my Rosie..I love you.”

 

“I love you too Ruby Jane. So so much. Just breathe and stay with me. We’ll get you to the hospital, and it’ll be okay. You’ll be okay.” Roseanne was trying to convince herself more so than the woman in her arms who has accepted her fate.

 

“Hmm..I’ll always be with you Rosie.” Ruby Jane weakly replied, her vision darkening, “Always.” She voiced out, the last image she saw being Roseanne with that loving look in her eyes.

 

~ ~

 

“Annie..” Lily placed a hand on Roseanne’s shoulder, the girl not having moved an inch since the funeral.

 

“I know.” Roseanne replied, not taking her eyes from the ground beneath her.

 

“It’s been a week. You haven’t left for a week straight.”

 

“I…” Roseanne finally faced her friend, and Lily felt her heartbreak at the sight. She’s seen how heartbroken her friend would be everytime she would have to leave her. But not once did Lily ever see the utter anguish and heartbreak in Roseanne’s eyes until this moment.

 

“It’s okay. Take your time Annie...I’ll be here.” Lily patted her friend’s shoulder.

 

The two stayed there for another day, or was it two, maybe even three or four. Lily herself wasn’t sure, but Roseanne finally walked away one day without a word...which scared Lily because she knew, although they can’t physically die, another part of her Annie died when she lost Ruby Jane.

 

New York City - 2020

 

“Hey there love. How are you? I brought you hyacinths, your favorite right.” Chaeyoung smiled, placing the bouquet on the grave, moving some of the weeds that have begun to grow. “Looks like the caretaker I hired isn’t doing such a good job.” Chaeyoung mumbled, cleaning up a bit, before laying on the grass, looking up at the sky.

 

It was a clear, sunny day in the city. Chaeyoung smiled, turning on her side to face the headstone, “It’s been a century now. Another 50 years has passed since the last time I came here. I don’t go by Roseanne Park anymore..it’s Chaeyoung now, Chaeyoung Park, it’s actually my real name. Do you like it? Even if you do, I’m sure you would always prefer Rosie. I told myself I’ll only come visit you until I find you again, but I don’t know if I want to find you in this lifetime.” Chaeyoung admitted out loud since she lost Ruby Jane, “Is that bad? I promised you, in our first life together that I would always find you, no matter what. But then, you became her and I don’t ever want to replace her. I don’t want to replace her with someone who won’t have her mischievous smile, her boisterous laugh, her magnetic personality, her kindness, her care...her warmth...her love.” Chaeyoung sat up, feeling the tears coming again. A hundred years, but it still hurt like it was yesterday, “Soojung-ah...why does it hurt more with her? Why does the pain not go away? Why does it hurt even more than the first time I lost you?”

 

“Ms. Park.” A feminie voice, called out to Chaeyoung, turning her head Chaeyoung was met with her assistant, Joy.

 

“Right. Is it time to go already?” Chaeyoung stood up, dusting the dirt from her pants.

 

“Yes, the car is ready to go, your flight is set to leave whenever you arrive at the airport.”

 

“Thank you.” Chaeyoung smiled at the young girl who bowed politely at her boss.

 

Arriving at her private tarmac, Chaeyoung wasn’t surprised to find a certain black haired woman sitting in her private jet like she owns it.

 

“Had a good talk?” The girl asked, not even looking up from the magazine in her hand.

 

“Yeah, it was nice. The weather was good.” Chaeyoung replied.

 

“Take me with you in 2070, I’d like to visit her with you.” The girl smiled, finally turning her attention to the blonde woman in the seat opposite of her.

 

“Maybe.”

 

“Hey Lisa..” Chaeyoung softly called out an hour into their flight.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Do you think she’s happy, wherever she is?”

 

“Chae...I’m sure she’s waiting for you to come find her again.”

 

“Right.” Chaeyoung nodded her head, turning her attention back out the plane’s window.

 

Lis sighed to herself, it’s been like this since the last century. She’s seen Chaeyoung hurt herself over and over for the love of her life, but this is the worst Lisa has seen her friend. It’s been a century, but Chaeyoung can’t let go of Ruby Jane. She shut everyone out of her life, except for Lisa of course, but the difference between the happy and sunshiney Roseanne and the recluse, quiet, and almost cold Chaeyoung is striking. Lisa can’t even remember the last time Chaeyoung smiled genuinely, but the black haired girl can’t do anything. She just has to be there for her best friend.

 

As the plane landed, Chaeyoung took a breath, it’s time to start another life as another person in another city. The never ending cycle.

 

“Ms. Park, Ms. Manoban, we have arrived. Would you like for me to clear out a restaurant for your dinner?” Joy asked.

 

“Jeez Joy why are you so formal with me it’s.” Lisa shuddered, putting an arm over Joy’s shoulders, “Not us. C’mon we’re friends. Just keep being formal with Ms. Icy over there.” Lisa teased, causing a small giggle from Joy and an eye roll from Chaeyoung.

 

“It’s okay Joy. You can head home. Lisa and I can fend for ourselves.”

 

“Of course Ms. Park. Have a good evening.”

 

“So what are we having? It’s been a while since we last stepped foot on your home country.” Lisa asked, already excited to take everything modern Korea has to offer.

 

“I’m not hungry. I just want to go home.”

 

“Boo~~ boring. Alright fine, I’ll go ahead then. I’ll see you at work tomorrow.” Lisa patted her friend’s shoulder before heading to one of the many vehicles parked in the hanger, “TEXT ME WHEN YOUR HOME LOSER!” Lisa yelled from outside the driver’s window before zooming off.

 

“Home huh.” Chaeyoung whispered to herself, before heading off as well.

 

Arriving at her family’s hanok, memories of the past suddenly came back to the blonde.

 

“Princess be careful! Your father will be angry if he finds out you snuck out again.”

 

“It’s fine Chaeyoung! And what did I say about calling me Princess when we’re alone?”

 

“But Princ..” Chaeyoung’s words were shushed by the older girl’s palm.

 

“It’s Soojung not Princess. That’s an order Chaeyoung.”

 

“Right. Of course.” Chaeyoung complied with the princesses’s wish, “So tell me Soojung, what brings you to my humble abode so late into the night?”

 

“I just wanted to see you.”

 

“Lady Park, welcome home!” The caretaker of the place smiled, seeing the blonde walking towards the main entrance.

 

“Hello Uncle Cho, how are you.” Chaeyoung smiled at the old man.

 

“I’m doing well. How are you? My look at you, a spitting image of the original Lady of the house.” Uncle Cho smiled with a knowing twinkle in his eyes.

 

“My grandmother said the same thing.”

 

“Right, I’m sorry for your loss.” The old man showed respect.

 

“It’s alright, she lived a full life. She told me about you, she really adored you. You made her last few days happy.” Chaeyoung smiled, glad to finally meet the man she hired under the guise of her grandmother.

 

“I’ve already settled your things in your room as instructed.”

 

“Thank you. It’s late Uncle Cho, you may rest.”

 

“Okay..good night Lady Park.”

 

Chaeyoung nodded and after hearing the main gates close, she began her little tour. The hanok was still the same as it was in the past, of course Chaeyoung made the interior more modern, but she kept the exterior the same.

 

After changing into something more comfortable and texting Lisa, Chaeyoung decided to head out and grab a midnight snack at the convenience store she passed by on her way.

 

Walking inside the 7Eleven, Chaeyoung made a beeline to the ramen, kimbap, and whatever other snacks she wanted.

 

“Do you need a basket?” The part timer asked from the counter, eyeing Chaeyoung’s full arms.

 

“Huh? Oh I think I’ll be..” Chaeyoung began, when some teenagers bumped into her causing her snacks to fall on the ground, which made the part timer laugh so heartily.

 

It was a joyous sound and so comforting. Chaeyoung didn’t understand why, but she wanted to watch it forever.

 

“Here let me help you.” The girl came over and Chaeyoung finally noticed the stranger’s sharp feline eyes, the rest of her face covered by the face mask she wore.

 

“You’re her.” She mumbled under her breath.

 

“Did you say something?” the girl asked, placing the ramen and other goodies in the basket.

 

“Thank you, I said thank you.” Chaeyoung got up, grabbing the basket from the floor.

 

“You’re welcome, should have taken the basket earlier huh.” The girl teased, getting back behind the counter.

 

“In my defense, I was already done choosing.” Chaeyoung huffed, walking to the counter, placing the basket down so the girl could scan them.

 

“Right sure, anyways that’ll be 20,000Won.”

 

“Thanks.” Chaeyoung smiled, paying for her snacks and settling in the back to eat in peace, while casually taking a glance at the part timer who she didn’t get the name of.

 

“Heading out? Have a good evening!” The part timer greeted Chaeyoung as she exited the convenience store, normally Chaeyoung would just nod in acknowledgement, but something shifted inside her, “Thanks, you too. Stay safe.” Chaeyoung smiled.

 

The brunette waved the blonde customer goodbye, “Ah it’s going to be an interesting night.” She chuckled to herself.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Tat tat tat, I knew she’d still be sleeping.” Lisa shook her head, arms crossed, staring at her best friend, “Yep..I have no choice.” Lisa shrugged her shoulders, before running and jumping on top of the blonde girl.

 

“LISA!” Chaeyoung yelled, groaning. Trying to wiggle herself away from Lisa.

 

“I texted you last night to sleep early after you eat, but you obviously didn’t. What were you doing huh? We’re late you know.” Lisa got up, pulling the duvet off of Chaeyoung.

 

“Define late?” Chaeyoung mumbled, slowly drifting back to sleep.

 

“We should have been there by now late. Now c’mon get up before I force you to.” Lisa threatened.

 

“Alright jeez.” Chaeyoung turned from her side to her back, finally opening her eyes, “I’m up”

 

“Great, now go get dressed.”

 

~ ~ ~

 

Arriving at a modest building, Chaeyoung yawned, stretching her long limbs.

 

“I need food or something.” She grumbled, while Lisa rolled her eyes, “I told you 30 minutes so we could grab food on the way, but you took an hour. But I texted Joy, she got us some bagels and coffee for later.”

 

“It’s not the same as having rice.”

 

“Stop complaining jeez. We’re already running late.”

 

“Good morning everyone. I apologize for arriving late.” Chaeyoung went from a grumpy baby, to the professional that she is as soon as she stepped inside the boardroom.

 

“It’s no worries Ms. Park, it was us that invited you. Thank you for meeting with us. I’m Kim Jisoo, the CEO.”

 

“Nice to meet you Ms. Kim. Shall we get started?”

 

“Yes of course.” Jisoo nodded, before explaining how their publishing company is looking for new investors, “We publish works from children’s stories, young adult novels, poetry, anything really. Since we’re a small company, we don’t have as many resources as some of the other more well known publishing companies out there; however, we’ve been slowly getting an increase in sales due to the novelists “JNK.”

 

“JNK..ah didn’t they write Living?”

 

Living?” Chaeyoung looked at Lisa, who explained how the novel blew up because rather than a rags to riches story it’s a riches to rags story. A young woman turning her back on her family’s fortune and name, to be her own person. To live for herself.

 

“It’s a good book. It’s like the author personally lived it. The details are.” Lisa made a chef kiss motion, making Jisoo chuckle

 

“Hmmm.”

 

“Yes, she’s currently working on her next novel and we want to expand the marketing for it as well as giving our other authors a chance to reach a broader audience.”

 

“Smart.” Chaeyoung nodded, “Alright we’re in.”

 

“What you..you..you are?” Jisoo was shocked, she thought it would take a lot more convincing to get someone as powerful as the Park family to agree, then again, Jisoo also didn’t think she’d be meeting a very young woman today. She was expecting an elderly man or woman, “Wow. Uhm, you won’t be disappointed. Thank you so much Ms. Park.” Jisoo held out a hand, which Chaeyoung took and shook firmly, “Of course, let’s draft up a contract. Ah also, I’d like it if Lisa stayed and oversaw your expansion.” Chaeyoung patted Lisa on the shoulder.

 

“Oh.”

 

“Not that I don’t trust your management, it’s just how the Parks handle new investments.” Chaeyoung clarified.

 

“I see, and what would Ms. Manoban be doing while she is here?”

 

“That’s up to you.” Chaeyoung looked at her best friend, “You can even make her a janitor.” Chaeyoung joked, earning a glare from Lisa, and a soft chuckle from Jisoo.

 

“Alright, well. I still have other appointments. Lisa.” Chaeyoung looked at her friend, who’s eyes were questioning as to why she was really being left here, because they usually invest and never turn back to check.

 

“Right, so Ms. Kim..uhm what would you like me to do?” Lisa turned to Jisoo, who found the girl utterly cute, looking like a lost child, “Well for starters, let’s drop the formalities okay?”

 

~ ~ ~

 

“Alright Park, spill. Why’d you dump me there?” Lisa asked, barging into Chaeyoung’s study at nearly 11 at night.

 

“Dump you where?”

 

“Don’t play dumb Chaengie. I’ve known you for how many centuries now, so tell me, what is it really?”

 

“I’m just curious about her.”

 

“About who? Jisoo?”

 

“Yes, she...seems familiar, but I can’t put my finger on why.”

 

“Hmm...alright. I’ll watch her.”

 

“Thanks...oh..I have to go.” Chaeyoung got up noticing the time.

 

“Go where? It’s almost midnight?” Lisa asked, getting up to follow the girl.

 

“Yeah, it’s time for my midnight snack.”

 

“Oh jeez, why didn’t you buy some on the way back, instead of going out at night?”

 

“Just cause.” Chaeyoung shrugged her shoulders, leading them both out.

 

After watching Lisa drive off, Chaeyoung made her way to the same 7Eleven from the night before.

 

“Oh, it’s you.”

 

“You remember me?”

 

“Of course, you were the highlight of my night. Want a basket this time?” The part timer teased.

 

“I--..yes.” Chaeyoung shyly replied, feeling at ease with the girl.

 

I didn’t want to find you in this lifetime. But it looks like you found me. Chaeyoung smiled to herself as she went about the aisles, taking a longer time than usual.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Oh you're here early today Chae.”

 

“Hey Jen, how’s your night?” Chaeyoung smiled at the brunette behind the counter.

 

It’s been a few weeks since the two met, and Chaeyoung had found herself going to that 7Eleven every evening for her “midnight snack,” so she told Jennie, the part timer.

 

“You know, same old same old. Nothing new. Same regulars, like yourself, and the occasional drunkard.” Jennie chuckled.

 

“Of course, nothing unpleasant though right?” Chaeyoung asked, because there have been times when customers would be unnecessarily rude or trying to get close to the girl.

 

“Nothing. Thanks for the other night though.” Jennie smiled.

 

“It’s nothing really. I mean what are friends for? I mean we are friends right?” Chaeyoung chuckled awkwardly. Were her and Jennie friends? They only ever met at night when the blonde would go to the convenience store, they don’t have each other’s contact information, heck they only know each other’s first names and Chaeyoung is yet to see the girl without a face mask on.

 

“I’d like to think so, yes.” Jennie replied, coming out from behind the counter to accompany Chaeyoung as she looked for her snacks.

 

“Oh we got some new kimbap rolls today, has imitation crab and it goes really well with the spicy 2x ramen!” Jennie pointed out.

 

“But I can’t eat spicy food well.” Chaeyoung pouted cutely.

 

“Ah then get the cheese ramen!”

 

“Why are you so hyper today?” Chaeyoung asked, usually Jennie would ask about her day and Chaeyoung would narrate things very broadly while the latter would walk with her around the small shop.

“Just heard some really good news, so my moods been up.”

 

“I see.” Chaeyoung nodded her head, her eyes looking at the shorter girl’s side profile, “Say Jen, why do you always wear a face mask?”

 

“Ah this.” Jennie pointed to the black mask, chuckling before pulling it off her face, “It’s out of habit and sometimes people with a cold would come to buy medicine.” Jennie smiled, before putting the mask back on.

 

Wow! She’s gorgeous. Chaeyoung felt her knees go weak. The girl was gorgeous, blindingly beautiful.

 

“You’re beautiful Jennie.” Chaeyoung sincerely complimented the girl, causing the latter to blush and avert her gaze from the blonde.

 

“Thank you Chae. For the record, you’re not so bad yourself.” Jennie chuckled, getting back to the counter to tend to the other customer that looked like they were ready to checkout.

 

~ ~

 

“Hey look who finally decided to visit her best friend at work.” Lisa teased, while Chaeyoung shook her head at the girl.

 

“I was around the area, thought you might want to grab some food together.”

 

“I’d love to, but Chu promised to take me with her to meet JNK today.”

 

“Oh you guys are on nickname basis now huh.” Chaeyoung grinned mischievously at Lisa, who rolled her eyes in return.

 

“But JNK? Where have I heard...Ah! The author she mentioned. Is she releasing a new book? How are things here by the way?” Chaeyoung went all business mode.

 

“Yeah, we just got a deal to turn Living into a movie, so we’re meeting with her to discuss details on that. Want to come? JNK is super secretive, but I’m sure Chu can convince her to let you in, after all you literally opened the door for this.”

 

“Well if that's the case, we can discuss everything over a meal.” Chaeyoung offered, while Lisa nodded her head, texting Jisoo.

 

~

 

“Hello Jisoo, thanks for allowing me to come.” Chaeyoung smiled, while Jisoo stood up to greet her, “Well I mean it’s all thanks to you this deal even happened, so how could I refuse. But please keep their identity a secret.” Jisoo pleaded.

 

“You have my word.”

 

“So Chu where are they?” Lisa asked, taking the chair next to Chaeyoung.

 

“Washroom, should be..ah speak of the devil.”

 

“Jen?”

 

“Chae?”

 

“Wait, you two know each other?” Jisoo looked at Jennie then at Chaeyoung.

 

“Yeah what Chu said.” Lisa stood next to Jisoo, folding her arms and looking at the two. So the two explained how they knew each other, well it was mostly Jennie doing the talking, since Chaeyoung is still surprised.

 

“Ah so she’s the cu..mmmmpphhhh.” Jennie quickly cupped Jisoo’s mouth before she could finish her sentence.

 

“I’m sorry for hiding it from you Chae, but in my defense I hid it from everyone, well except Jisoo over here. She was the one that helped me the most during that time.”

 

“No it’s fine, I was just...why a convenience store though?”

 

“Ah I’m researching for my next novel. I like to get firsthand experience.”

 

“Firsthand experience huh. So, for Living too?” Lisa asked, trying to remember where she’s seen the girl before, “Because you look strangely familiar to me.”

 

“Ah uhm yes...Living is based off of my own experience.” Jennie admitted.

 

“If that’s the case…” Lisa furrowed her brows, trying to connect the dots.

 

“You're the Kim Heiress.” Chaeyoung blurted out, surprising everyone, “I remember reading about it, but I never knew who she was. But I mean it made sense if it was your own experience.”

 

“Ah! That’s right! I remember meeting your grandfather at an event once.” Lisa blurted out cluelessly.

 

“My grandfather? He died like 20 years ago, how could you have met him?” Jennie asked.

 

And Chaeyoung looked at Lisa with wide eyes.

 

That idiot, how can she make a mistake like that. Chaeyoung internally groaned, stopping herself from literally face palming herself.

 

“Oh uh...uhm...I meant a photo. My dad, yeah he met your grandfather and they have a photo. He told me about the party and stuff, his version of bedtime stories.” Lisa awkwardly chuckled.

 

“So, why don’t we get the boring business stuff out of the way and enjoy the meal.” Chaeyoung smoothly transitioned the topic away from Lisa’s blunder.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“That was odd earlier with Lisa.” Jennie spoke up, while she was getting ready to go to her part time work.

 

“Yeah it was, but she’s dorky and quirky like that. She talks about events and things in history like she lived it, that’s why I’m having her help Irene with her writer’s block.” Jisoo replied, from the couch, her eyes focused on the tv in front of her.

 

“Hmm I see. I was meaning to ask who the new person was, but she’s Chaeyoung’s business partner right?”

 

“I think they’re close friends. She’s the only one I’ve ever seen call Lisa and vice versa.”

 

“Ah...but it’s weird right. The Park family is very well-known, but Chaeyoung is not. It’s like she appeared out of nowhere. I haven’t even seen her in any of the events I used to attend. Same with Lisa.” Jennie was still in deep thought.

 

“I heard from Joy, Chaeyoung’s assistant, that the two are very secretive. Mostly hanging out by themselves.”

 

“Oh really.”

 

Jisoo perked at the dejected tone in Jennie’s voice, turning her attention away from the tv and to her best friend.

 

“Now why do you sound so sad about that? Hmm.”

 

“Omg Chu, it’s not what you think.”

 

“Ayy you can’t lie to me Jendeuk. You’ve been talking about that cute blonde customer since you first met her. You like Chaeyoung don’t you.”

 

“I...I gotta go. I’ll be late.” Jennie ran off not bothering to answer Jisoo.

 

“Be safe!” Jisoo yelled out, smiling to herself, “She’s so obvious.”

 

~ ~

 

“Thanks for coming a bit earlier today Jen.” Sana, the other part timer, smiled at the girl.

 

“No biggie, I had nothing going on anyways.”

 

“Still, I owe you!” The girl smiled, before running off.

 

The evening was going slowly. Jennie only had a few customers walk in, some just trying to escape from the rain that began to lightly pour.

 

“It’s raining.” Jennie smiled, she’s always loved the rain, she would get the most inspiration to write when it rains. So, she pulled out her small black notebook and favorite fountain pen, letting her imagination take over.

 

“Knock knock.” A soft knock on the counter pulled Jennie out of her zone.

 

“Chae hi.” Jennie quickly shut the notebook, turning her attention to the blonde, “How long have you been standing there?” The brunette asked, looking up only to realize how dark it is outside now.

 

“Not long, I came in about 10 minutes ago, you were so focused on your writing, didn’t want to disturb.”

 

“Oh wow, I must’ve been too focused again.”

 

“You really were, someone could have stolen everything and I don’t think you would have noticed.” Chaeyoung teased, earning a bubbly laugh from Jennie, a sound Chaeyoung has come to really love to hear, making her laugh along with the girl.

 

“The fact that I agree with that.” Jennie replied after her laughter calmed down.

 

“So, what are you writing about?” Chaeyoung asked, motioning at the notebook the other girl pushed aside.

 

“Oh just a rough draft for a story…”

 

“Can I read it?”

 

“Wha--..I uhm it’s not ready.” Jennie clutched the notebook to her chest, suddenly feeling shy, something Jennie has never felt before especially with her writing.

 

“Hmm then can you at least tell me what it’s about?”

 

“Uhhhh well I don’t really have the whole thing, but it’s essentially a story about star-crossed lovers.”

 

“Okay now, I’m interested.”

 

“I..uh..I’ll tell you more once I get more of the plot down...as you know I like to get firsthand experience for my writing, so I don’t even know if I’ll continue writing it.” Jennie scratched the back of her neck nervously, while she rung up Chaeyoung’s snacks.

 

“Right, it would be hard for you to somehow experience a Romeo and Juliet type of romance right.” Chaeyoung chuckled, but the glint in her eyes revealed something and Jennie couldn’t help but ask, “But you did, didn’t you?” While Chaeyoung paid for her things.

 

“It was..” Chaeyoung paused, her mind going through her many lives, “a long time ago.” She finished with a smile.

 

“I noticed that you always do that.” Jennie pointed out, following after Chaeyoung to join her on the corner table, the one closest to the door therefore closest to Jennie. It’s Chaeyoung’s favorite spot. But Jennie thought it was because it was the closest to the microwaves.

 

“Do what?” Chaeyoung asked, while she opened up her snacks.

 

“You always wear such a lonely smile.” With that Jennie got up and went back to the register to help the elderly woman who just entered.

 

A lonely smile huh Chaeyoung watched as Jennie helped the woman, she can tell that the girl was smiling under her mask with the way her eyes made a slightly crescent shape.

 

“Have a good evening.” Jennie bowed politely to the woman.

 

Getting up, Chaeyoung made her way to Jennie.

 

“I’ll see you around Jen.”

 

“See you Chae. Goodnight.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Oh Jisoo, Lisa, what are you doing here so late at night?” Jennie asked, seeing the two girls walking into the convenience store.

 

“Well we were looking for Chae, but that girl isn’t home.” Lisa grumbled.

 

“Oh but she was just here a few minutes ago.”

 

“Wait what day is it?” Lisa asked, checking her phone, “Oh no..” Lisa plopped down at the exact spot Chaeyoung was just at, leaning her forehead on the table.

 

“What do you mean oh no?” Jisoo asked.

“I...I can’t tell you that, it’s not my story..but I have to go find Chae, before..I just...I’ll be back soon!” Lisa smiled widely before running out of the convenience store.

 

“Chae….” Lisa bit her bottom lip before starting the engine of her car and driving off.

 

“What’s with those two.” Jisoo spoke up, her eyes trailing the spot Lisa was.

 

There are times I can tell she feign their happiness, but then again...aren’t we all? Jisoo sighed, she had thought that the two had grown closer, her and Lisa. The girl made her feel comfortable and she opened up to Lisa...She thought that Lisa did the same, but obviously not.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

It was 4 weeks later when Lisa finally showed up at the publishing company once again.

 

“Lisa!” Jisoo immediately ran to the girl and engulfed the girl in a tight hug.

 

“Oh uhm hi Chu.” Lisa returned the hug, albeit awkwardly.

 

“You cut your hair.” Jisoo looked at Lisa who now had short hair that rested just above her shoulder.

 

“Yeah, I’ve been missing my short hair, but now I want my long hair back.” Lisa chuckled, the girls’ arms still around each other, “How are you?” Lisa asked, subconsciously lifting a hand and tucking the loose strand of Jisoo’s hair behind her ear.

 

“I’m good...I was worried about you. You just kind of disappeared, you and Chaeyoung.”

 

“Sorry...it happens sometimes...don’t worry though, I’ll always come back.” Lisa smiled, her heart feeling at ease after seeing Jisoo again. She didn’t realize just how much she missed Jisoo, until now.

 

Meanwhile, Jennie was at home trying to finish another chapter in her current novel, but like the past few weeks her mind has been going to a certain blonde customer that just disappeared. Even if Jennie wanted to call the girl, she couldn’t because they never exchanged numbers.

 

“I must be crazy.” Jennie sighed, running a hand through her hair in frustration. She tried to focus again, but nothing. The only thing on her mind was Chaeyoung and if the girl was okay. It scared Jennie how much the blonde’s disappearance is affecting her, especially since they really barely scratched the surface of friendship.

 

“That’s it, I can’t do this.” Jennie got up, grabbing a sweater and planning to kidnap Jisoo to find the two giants, but as she opened the front door she was surprised to find the blonde girl standing at her doorstep.

Jennie blinked twice and rubbed her eyes to make sure she really hasn’t gone crazy and is now hallucinating the blonde in front of her.

 

“Hi.” Chaeyoung waved a hand awkwardly, and Jennie didn’t know what came over her (It was a flood of relief to see her safe) that prompted her to lunge forward and wrap her arms around the taller girl. Snuggling into her warm embrace for the first time and never wanting to leave.

 

“Hello.” Jennie whispered back.

 

“I’m guessing you missed me.” Chaeyoung chuckled, lightly tapping Jennie on her back to reassure her that she’s here.

 

“I-- uhm.” Jennie pulled away, her sanity finally coming back to her, “I was worried. You just kind of disappeared for a month and I didn’t have your number so I couldn’t reach you. I’m just glad you're safe.” Jennie blabbered.

 

“Cute.” Chaeyoung cooed, her smile not leaving her face.

 

Jennie looked at the blonde, and she realized something about her changed. At first Chaeyoung had this cold aura around her, not wanting to let anyone in. But the Chaeyoung in front of Jennie now has a lighter air around her. Her smile, albeit still somewhat lonesome, looks more genuine than forced.

 

“So uhm what are you doing here? Wait how do you know where I live?” Jennie asked, clearing , hoping Chaeyoung doesn’t notice the blush on her cheeks.

 

“I got it from Lisa, who got it from Jisoo. I---” Chaeyoung roamed her eyes, trying to find the courage she had earlier, but she chickened out, “I just thought of that love story you were trying to write, and I had an idea and I wanted to share it with you.” Chaeyoung lied, after her eyes caught sight of Jennie’s black notebook.

 

“Oh..sure, come in. Let’s hear it.” Jennie saw through the lie, but she didn’t want to let the girl know, scared she might disappear again.

 

Settling on the couch, Jennie’s notebook and fountain pen in hand, Chaeyoung began.

 

“Once, many moons ago, a mere noblewoman fell in love with a princess. The princess was a free spirit, always running away from the palace, it was on one of those escapes did the two meet.”

 

“Wha~ Soo-ah look at that!” The princess was pointing at the street performers, her eyes sparkling with wonder at the scene in front of her. It was time for the fall lunar festival and the town was in full celebration.

 

“Princess we need to get back to the palace. The royal guards must know you’ve snuck out again.” Hae Soo tried to convince the girl, but she wasn’t paying attention.

 

“It’ll be fine.” Soojung smiled, “I have my face covering, no one will know it’s me.”

 

Of course things went downhill from there, the performers attracted more people, and the crowd and Soojung and Hae Soo were somehow separated from each other.

 

“Soo-ah don’t you..Oh..you’re not Hae Soo.” Soojung looked at the taller girl standing next to her.

 

“And you’re not Lali.” The other girl frowned trying to find her friend.

 

“Wait!” Soojung grabbed onto the girl, she’s never been alone in the town by herself before, “It’s my first time out, and I’ve lost my companion.”

 

“Oh, well why don’t we look together. I’m Park Chaeyoung.”

 

“I’m uh Su, just call me Su.”

 

“Nice to meet you Su.” Chaeyoung offered a wide smile.

 

“Likewise.”

 

“The two grew close as time passed. Eventually, the noblewoman discovered her new friend’s true identity.”

 

“Princess there you are!” Eun San, a different court maiden, suddenly appeared in front of the Park family home.

 

“Princess?” Chaeyoung looked at Soojung who had her eyes wide at what the girl just said.

 

“What are you talking about San-ah? Where’s Hae Soo?” Soojung tried to feign innocence, but of course Eun San just had to say, “Princess Soojung? Are you okay?”

 

“Did that noblewoman get mad at the Princess?”

 

“No, it was the contrary. The noblewoman knew all along. She’s seen the Princess inside the palace when her father would bring her along.”

 

“How?”

 

“Her eyes, the Princess had very distinct eyes. Anyways, as time passed the two grew incredibly close and began to develop feelings for each other. Of course the King was against it, so he had ordered them to be separated. The Princess tried to beg and convince her father, but he had already made up his mind. The Princess was the only child, the heir to the throne, she needed to marry a man and give birth to a child to continue the throne. But the Princess was strong-willed, sending a message to the noblewoman, the princess put her plan into action.”

 

“Princess Soojung, your father will have my head if he finds out I helped with this.” Hae Soo frowned, still grabbing the scroll from the girl.

 

“Soo-ah you are my most trusted servant and friend. Please, I beg you, get this to Chaeyoung.” Soojung asked so earnestly, that Hae Soo had no other choice but to comply.

 

“Soo-ah! Hi! Why are you here so late?” Lali, Chaeyoung’s friend, smiled upon seeing the girl.

 

“Hello Lali, I‘m here to deliver a message from Su.” Hae Soo used the pseudonym Soojung had created for herself.

 

Chaeyoung read the scroll and her mind began on working on all the scenarios that could possibly go wrong.

 

“She would like you to reply.” Hae Soo brought Chaeyoung out of her thoughts.

 

“I will be there.” Chaeyoung made a decision, regardless of what happens, she wants to be with the princess.

 

A few nights later, Chaeyoung and Lali made their way to the cherry blossom forest where Soojung said she would be.

 

“Chae...are you sure about this?”

 

“I am. Thank you for helping us.” Chaeyoung smiled at her friend.

 

“Of course, my visit here was supposed to be short, but it’s almost been a year. I also have to get back to my home.” Lali chuckled.

 

“Chaeyoung!” Soojung smiled, waving happily at the girl.

 

Running to the girl, Chaeyoung immediately wrapped her arms around the Princess, “I have missed you.”

 

“I did too. Are you ready?” Soojung asked, but frowned when she saw Lali coming up from behind Chaeyoung.

 

“Lali will take us with her back to her country. It’ll be safer than running around forever.”

 

“I...thank you.” Soojung bowed at Lali, who returned the gesture.

 

“So they escaped then? How can that be sad?” Jennie frowned, but Chaeyoung waved a finger no.

 

“They didn’t. One of the palace guards saw the princess sneaking out and alerted the king right away. The girls didn’t know how to fight and they were surrounded. When the king threatened to kill both the noblewoman and her friend for treason, the Princess relented, on the promise that the two be spared. But the King lied, after making sure the Princess was back in the palace, he had the two women taken and imprisoned with no food or water.”

 

“Chae…” Lali croaked, it’s been a few days now, the two were glad for the monsoons because they were at least able to collect drinking water. But the supply has run out. It’s been a few days and they are both weak from dehydration and the weeks of malnutrition.

 

“Lali, I...I’m sorry.” Chaeyoung apologized, her voice growing faint.

 

“Don’t be sorry Chae. Look, it's an eclipse.” Lali made her way to her friend, laying down beside her and grabbing her hand, trying to comfort her, “Maybe it'll grant our deepest wish.” Lali whispered, her eyes shutting with Chaeyoung, letting their bodies finally rest.

 

“A month later, when the guards checked to see if the girls had finally passed, they were surprised to find them looking healthy.”

 

“What? How is that possible?”

 

“The eclipse. It was a red moon eclipse that occurred the same day the blue comet passed over by the Earth. As the two died they let their deepest wishes out, and so they both woke up the next day feeling no hunger, no pain, looking healthy. The eclipse gave them another chance at life...or so they thought. As the days passed, the two realized that they didn’t feel any hunger, pain, they even tried to kill themselves. But nothing. So, when the guards came, the girls made their escape. Outwitting the guards and taking their uniforms, the two decided to head back and find the princess..” Chaeyoung trailed off, the memory of that day, gripping at from forming more words.

 

“Chae?” Jennie watched the girl, her eyes growing dark with pain, a slight sweat forming, her body tensed, “Hey? It’s just a story.” Jennie put her hand over the girl’s forearm, snapping Chaeyoung out from her misery, “Looks like you got too into it. You don’t have to continue.” Jennie jokes, trying to lighten the air.

 

“No it’s fine, I just got too into the details.” Chaeyoung reassured the girl, before continuing.

 

As Chaeyoung and Lali got closer to the town, they noticed how much chatter the townspeople were having.

 

“What’s going on?” Lali asked one of the merchants.

 

“It seems the princess’s punishment has been decided. It’s not good.”

 

“Punishment?” Chaeyoung asked, not liking the sinking feeling in her stomach.

 

“The princess refuses to marry. She tried to escape on her wedding day, but was caught, the King had her imprisoned. It’s been weeks, and she hasn’t been released. The King gave her the ultimatum last night...but the princess...she..” Chaeyoung didn’t need to hear the rest, she quickly grabbed onto Lali, heading towards the palace.

 

“Chae look!” Lali pointed to a familiar palace maiden.

 

“Hae Soo.” The two quickly ran to the girl.

 

“Lali? Lady Park? I..We...the Princess…” Hae Soo was making no sense.

 

“We’ll explain later, Hae Soo where is she?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

“At the main prison...the Lady Park she’s...it’ll be poison.” Hae Soo choked back her tears.

 

“It’s okay...I’ll try to get her. Lali stay with Hae Soo..you guys meet us at the edge of town.”

 

“Chae.” Lali held the girl back.

 

“We’ll make it.”

 

With a nod, the three split up, Chaeyoung running towards the prison as fast as she could.

 

“Soojung.” Chaeyoung felt the air get knocked out of her lungs, seeing her once free spirited Princess so weak and frail. Her arms lifting the bowl up against her lips, “No!” Chaeyoung yelled out, running towards the girl, not minding the guards chasing after her or the arrows hitting her body in all directions.

 

“Chae?” Soojung coughed.

 

“Hi..Hi..I’m..I’m sorry.” Chaeyoung held the girl tightly into her arms.

 

“I never got to tell you this...but..” Soojung coughed, trying to muster all the strength to say, “I love you.”

 

“I love you too. Even in another life, under another sky, I will still find you. No matter what, I will always find you. Always. Remember that. This is my promise to you.” Chaeyoung whispered, feeling Soojung nod against her, before her body went limp. Chaeyoung had arrows all over her body, but she still picked up the girl in her arms. The guards and the King watched stunned. Nothing was harming the girl, not the blades, the arrows, the whips. Nothing, Chaeyoung walked out of the prison carrying Soojung’s body in her arms, stopping only to face the King with a new anger in her eyes, “In this life and all that follow, I will make you pay for taking her away, for killing your own daughter.”

 

When Chaeyoung reunited with Lali and Hae Soo, the girls made a makeshift grave under the trees, the Princess’s favorite spot.

 

“This isn’t what you deserve...but remember my promise to you.”

 

“I---” Jennie sniffled.

 

“Hey, it’s not that sad is it?” Chaeyoung tried to lighten the mood, wiping the stray tear from Jennie’s eyes.

 

“What do you mean? That was heartbreaking...I just want to know about that courtlady, I’m sure she would have questioned the noblewoman’s wounds right?”

 

“She did, the two explained and the girl made it her mission to help them.”

 

“That’s sweet.”

 

“Yeah..but of course, as the years passed the girl too passed.”

 

“Oh..so the two are completely immortal?”

 

“Yes, but...the noblewoman kept her promise.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“The princess was reincarnated, many times.”

 

It was 1500 when Chaeyoung ran into a woman, someone she felt a pull too. Noticing her eyes she realized it was her, Soojung, reincarnated in another life.

 

The next time it was 1600, then in 1725, 1830, and the most recent in 1900.

 

1500: Soojung was a young maiden, just a simple woman.

1600: In China, Soojung was a matchmaker.

1725: In Australia -- as a young man. It was weird, her Soojung as a rough looking man.

1830: As Elouise, the daughter of a diplomat in France.

1900: Ruby Jane, the editor of the New Yorker...the one Chaeyoung can’t seem to forget.

 

“And in each lifetime the noblewoman would find her. Spend time with her, show the princess her love...but in each lifetime the woman would have to leave the princess’s side, because the princess will age but she won’t. She leaves with the thought of ‘in another life, I will see her again.’”

 

“Chae...that... wow. I--..so I guess until now the noblewoman is still searching for her princess. I wonder if she’s found her in this lifetime.”

 

“I don’t know, maybe.” Chaeyoung smiled.

 

As Jennie watched Chaeyoung tell her story, getting lost in it all, the gears in her mind turning.

 

“Hey, why don’t we turn that story into a series?”

 

“Huh? I...uhm..”

 

“It’s just fiction anyways, but it’ll be nice to do it together.”

 

“Sure.” Chaeyoung agreed, she really didn’t have a choice, Jennie’s sparkling eyes wouldn’t allow her to say no.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

Seoul - 2026

 

“Chae.” Lisa spoke up, the two girls at the Park residence, enjoying a quiet afternoon.

 

“I already know what you’re going to say, Lis.” Chaeyoung replied, placing her tea cup down.

 

“Okay…I’m just...reminding you.”

 

“It’s already been 6 years since we arrived...why does time seem to always move so fast these days.”

 

“Right...the longer we’ve been here...the longer I’ve been wanting to stay.” Lisa admitted.

 

“It’s because of Jisoo right?” Chaeyoung turned to her friend, seeing her get flustered and red.

 

“I-- uhm...we..”

 

“Ah finally I can return this to you..” Chaeyoung paused, before looking at Lis so seriously and saying, “You’ll have to tell her sooner or later.”

 

“Ugh I hate being at the end of that. I’ve lived fine just having casual flings...but it’s so different with Chu..she’s so familiar.”

 

“I know, I got that vibe from her right away. It surprised me you didn’t...but before you ask me, I know that I have to do the same with Jen.”

 

“You think they’ll understand.”

 

“I mean, they’ll have to, we can’t stay.”

 

“Right.. I’ve already got things started in Vancouver. Should be like how it’s always been.”

 

“Yep, I’ve got some business stuff going there as well and our safe house is all set-up. This was so much easier before smartphones...now we have to stay cooped up for decades.” Chaeyoung grumbled, as if their safe house isn’t on a private island.

 

“Yeah...it was easier back then, just wandering the world. Able to avoid anyone we might have encountered.” Lisa smiled.

 

“Hey we still have a few years. We can push to stay for 20 instead of 10 right?”

 

“I wish, but we both know the answer to that.” Lisa looked down at her tea, it’s gotten cold, But you know, I’m happy that your smile’s returned.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I know that Ruby Jane’s death affected you as much...maybe even more than Soojung’s..and for a while you kind of just lost your smile.”

 

“I..” Chaeyoung was speechless. She thought she was doing pretty well masking the pain, but of course Lisa would notice.

 

“You don’t have to say anything.”

 

~ ~

 

“Chaengie!” Jennie ran to the blonde the second her eyes saw Chaeyoung.

 

“Hello.” Chaeyoung chuckled, swaying their bodies side to side, “How was your trip?”

 

“Long, I missed you.” Jennie whispered, snuggling into Chaeyoung’s arms even more.

 

“Are you just going to forget that I’m here?” A strangely familiar voice pulled the two out of their own little bubble.

 

“Oh right, sorry.” Jennie chuckled lightly, turning to her cousin.

 

“Chaengie this is..”

 

“Soojung…” Chaeyoung breathed under her breath.

 

“Say something?” Jennie and her cousin turned to the blonde.

 

“Nothing..I..” Chaeyoung couldn’t take her eyes away from Jennie’s cousin, making Jennie frown slightly, “You.. just look like someone I knew.” Chaeyoung smiled.

 

“Oh..well Chae this is my cousin Krystal..Krystal Jung.”

 

“Krys, this is Park Chaeyoung, one of my best friends.”

 

“Best friend?” Krystal looked at the two, skeptical.

 

They seem like more than friends. Krystal thought to herself.

 

“Yeah.” Jennie smiled.

 

“C’mon let’s get you guys in my car and home. I’m sure you're tired after your long trip.” Chaeyoung smiled, automatically grabbing the suitcases like the gentlewoman she is.

 

“Alright.. Jen I’ll put your things in your room and Krystal’s in the guest room?” Chaeyoung asked with a questioning tone.

 

“Yes please Chaengie. Thank you. I’ll have your tea ready soon.”

 

“It’s okay, you guys get some rest. I already have someone bringing food over here. I have to go though...there’s business that I have to attend to.”

 

“Oh..” Jennie pouted, she wanted to spend more time with the blonde, especially since it’s been 2 weeks since they last saw each other.

 

“I’m sorry Jen, I’ll make it up to you.” Chaeyoung affectionately patted the girl’s head.

 

“Alright...text me when you get home.”

 

“I will. Now rest, after dinner okay?”

 

“Hmm.”

 

As the two were once again lost in domestic bliss, Krystal was sitting on the sofa, watching the two both cringing but going all soft at the sight.

 

“Not dating my .” She grunted under her breath.

 

“Are you really just friends? It seems like there’s more.” Krystal suddenly barged into Jennie’s room after she finished washing up for the evening.

 

“We really are.”

 

“But you wish you were more right?”

 

“Am I that obvious?”

 

“You're both obvious Jens. I just want to know why you, my hard-headed stubborn cousin, isn’t doing anything about it. If I remember correctly, what Jennie Kim wants she gets. So why aren’t you getting your girl?”

 

“She can’t let go of her last love.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You know that last novel I wrote?”

 

“Oh Lifetimes, yep yep loved it. Where’d or should I say how did you get the inspo for it?” Krystal asked, wanting to know the details in Jennie’s writing because she knows how her cousin is as a writer.

 

“Chae told me the story many years ago. But I know for a fact that it’s her story, like her true story.”

 

“Huh? That makes no sense, the story is about a woman who’s immortal and in each lifetime falls in love with the same soul each time. So how could that possibly be her story?”

 

“Chu and I talked about it, we both think it’s Lisa, Chae’s best friend. Unrequited love and the “lifetime” Chae talks about is her and Lisa growing up. That’s why the book has such an open ending, because even Chae isn’t sure how it’ll end.”

 

“I mean sure...I guess...I just hope you would still tell her how you feel and not dwell in all the what-ifs you know.”

 

“I guess.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Okay so what’s going on?” Lisa asked, plopping next to Chaeyoung on a familiar bench in a cherry blossom forest, that is now private to everyone except the two girls.

 

“How’d you know I was here?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

“Well I went to all the other places you should have been but you weren’t there. Uncle Cho also said you’ve been gone all day, so I just figured I guess.”

 

“Right..”

 

“So why’d you run off here this time? Is it Jennie again?”

 

“I just...I don’t know what to do Lisa.” Chaeyoung admitted, lifting her knees up to her chest.

 

“Chae...I told you already remember? When you first realized that she isn’t Soojung and ran away here for like a month by the way.”

 

“I told you, that I was okay with that. That maybe it was time for me to let her go, but I..”

 

“Are you more afraid of letting Soojung go or of letting Ruby Jane go?” Lisa interrupted.

 

“What? But Ruby Jane is…”

 

“No Chae..” Lisa interrupted once again, “They aren’t the same! Eun San, Lijuan, James, Elouise, and finally Ruby Jane...they were all different people, their own person..Not Soojung. Yes okay, they may have been her reincarnation, but they weren’t her Chae. You may have felt a pull towards them because of that, but it was who they were that made you fall, not Soojung. Because if that was the case, then it would not have broken your heart each time you had to let her go, cause you know you’ll find her again. That you’ll meet again. You loved them all Chae. And it broke you each time you had to leave...and when we lost Ruby Jane...it destroyed you. So now with Jennie...you’re even more terrified, because what you feel for her is something stronger than…”

 

“I saw Soojung.” Chaeyoung interrupted Lisa’s powerful rant.

 

“What yo...What?! WHERE? HOW? LIKE SOOJUNG?” Lisa’s eyes were wide.

 

“I...is it really her? But how?”

 

“Yes, she looks just like her as well. She goes by the name Krystal Jung, she’s Jennie’s cousin.”

 

Lisa thought that things couldn’t get even worse, but nope that just had to be the icing on the cake.

 

“Now you see why I’m so lost.” Chaeyoung gave a small smile, seeing how Lisa’s face looks like a fish out of water.

 

“Well are you though?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You and I both know you have feelings for Jennie. Does having this Soojung look alike change your feelings all of a sudden?”

 

Chaeyoung stayed quiet, her mind trying to catch up to her heart.

 

“It’s okay Chae..to move on. Like really move on from her.”

 

“But I promised her.”

 

“Chaeyoung...it’s been so many centuries...it’s okay for you to love someone else. I don’t think Soojung would hold that against you.”

 

“But Lis..”

 

“Think about it this way, we have and had lived for so long, probably equivalent to thousands of lifetimes, but Jennie...she only has one. This is it. If you don’t follow your heart now, well you’ll lose her forever. And we won’t die, so the regret will follow you forever.”

 

Lisa had always been the outgoing, silly, always went with the flow kind of girl. But when she gets serious, it really hits home.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

A/n: Okay so this started as one storyline, then it turned into another..then into something else..and now it's like 50 pages of pure craziness...And it's not even done yet lol. Well I hope I can finish the last part soon...but we shall see….I’m posting the first half now to motivate me even more. So let me know what you think in the comments.

 

Also, if any of you are on twitter and read AUs on there..I highly HIGHLY recommend In Between it’s just chef’s kiss → also where I got one of Soojung’s reincarnation name ;)