Reminiscence - Final

Chaennie Shots (Volume 1)

She looked peaceful in her sleep. I couldn’t help myself from staring, “Even in your sleep, you captivate me, Wifey.” I softly whisper in her ear, before snuggling closer to her, “I love you.” I smile, as she clings onto me, “Hmm.” She hums in her sleep.

 

The next morning as we cuddled on the couch after breakfast she asked me if I was sleeping well. “Why?” I asked back, wondering if she knew that I would spend most of my nights admiring her and thanking the universe for bringing her to me.

 

“I just noticed that your dark circles are getting worse, I’m worried for you.” She gave me a small smile while cupping my face, rubbing her thumb tenderly on my cheek. I smiled into her touch, cupping her hand on my cheek, “don’t worry. I’m sleeping well.” I assured her but I can tell she didn’t believe me, “what is it?” I asked and she pouted at me so cutely I thought my heart would burst.

 

“Then why do I feel like you're hiding something from me..no way are you..are you cheating on me?” She jumped into such crazy assumptions I couldn’t stop myself from laughing.

 

“You’re so cute, Wifey.” I hugged her tightly, “I’m not hiding anything from you. Nor am I or will I ever cheat on you. I love you too much.” I whispered in her ear.

 

“Then why can’t you sleep well?” She pulled back.

 

“Alright the truth is, every night when we go to bed. You would always fall asleep before me, always facing my way..and I can’t help myself from staring at you. You look so peaceful and calm. So beautiful and I just..I just wonder what I did in life to deserve someone like you.” I admitted, and I saw her cheeks turn a deep shade of pink.

 

“Hubby, that was Cheesy.” Jennie gives me a gentle slap on my shoulder.

 

“But it’s true…I don’t know how I got so lucky to have someone like you..love me so much..I don’t know what I’ll do if I ever lose you.” I feel myself tear up, and Jennie gets up from her chair, settling on my lap, hugging me tightly, “You won’t lose me Hubby..I won’t go anywhere…what’s gotten you thinking like this all of a sudden?” She asks and I shrug, because I don’t know why I’ve been so reminiscent these past few days.

 

“I don’t know…maybe it’s cause we’re getting old?” I laugh.

 

“Chae, we're only 23, we still have our whole lives to spend together.” Jennie flashes me the engagement ring I gave her 5 months ago, “That we do.” I look my beautiful fiance in the eyes, seeing as her pupils dilate, “I love you.” I say softly, before kissing her.

 

The nightmares will stop…right?

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

The nightmares didn’t stop…they got worse…except today. Today I had the best dream in a long time..a dream that’ll be my reality soon.

 

“Well someone’s in a good mood today.” Jennie smiles over our facetime call.

 

“I had a good dream today.” I smile.

 

“Have you been having nightmares again?” Jennie frowns and I mentally curse myself for telling her about my recurring nightmares.

 

“No no.” I shake my head, trying to be as reassuring as possible.

 

“Then?”

 

“I just saw our future. I saw us with kids, 2..a boy and a girl..I saw them grow up and have their own children..I saw us growing old together..retiring in New Zealand living our days quietly..it was the life we always dreamed to have with each other..I saw us..living our life together to the fullest. Loving each other until the end. I can’t wait to marry you Jennie Kim.” I smile, watching as Jennie’s features soften and giving me that loving look before she says, “I love you too.” I say it before she can and she laughs. I’ve always loved her laugh.

 

“I love you more and I really really want to just hold you right now.” Jennie begins to tear up.

 

“Just a few more days and I’ll be home..you know I’ll always come back to you.”

 

“I know..but when you say something like that..how can I not get a little emotional.” Jennie lets a lone tear fall.

 

“We have our forever Nini..I’ll be home soon..I promise. I gotta go though, gotta head to some client meeting. I’ll call you tonight.”

 

“Okay. Be safe.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Morning Chaeyoung.” Jennie answers my facetime call with an icy glare.

 

“Morning Chaeyoung….uh-oh am I in trouble?”I ask, taking a sip of my coffee.

 

“You told me you’d call last night.”

 

“I..”

 

“Did you forget?”

 

“What? No...I just fell asleep. I had a long day.”

 

“Mhm sure.” Jennie rolls her eyes.

 

“Jennie..”

 

“I waited for you to call..and you didn’t..”Jennie pouted and my heart sank..my poor baby..I’m sorry but I’m almost done here.

 

“I’m sorry.. I’ll text you next time I can’t call you to say goodnight.”

 

“Promise.” Jennie looks at me like a child who’s favourite toy was taken away.

 

“Promise.” I put a hand up, “Now tell me the plan for today?” I try to lighten the mood.

 

“Just the usual. Stuff with Chu and the gang.” Jennie sighs, her mood still down.

 

“What’s wrong?” I ask, worried.

 

“I just miss you.”

 

“I miss you too..but hey I’ll be back by this time tomorrow.”

 

“Next time, you’re not going to leave without me.” Jennie puffs her cheeks out.

 

“Got it boss.” I laugh, “I gotta head to the gallery, so I’ll call you at lunch?”

 

“Okay I’ll be waiting. Be careful on your way and text me when you reach.”

 

“Yes ma’am.” I smile, finding myself getting lost at the image staring softly at the screen, memorising her features like it’s the last time.

 

“Babe?” Jennie calls out, “You’re staring.” She chuckles softly

 

“I love you.” I blurt out in a loving tone, surprising even myself.

 

“I love you too.” Jennie replies, her gaze soft.

 

“I’ll always come home to you, remember that.”

 

“And I’ll always be here, waiting for you.” Jennie replies.

 

“I know..okay I gotta go now Wifey. Bye bye.”

 

“Bye..be safe.” Jennie blows a kiss before ending the call and another facetime coming in right after.

 

“Suzy what’s up?” I answer the call from my friend/therapist.

 

“Nothing..just checking up on you.”

 

“Is it still about that dream? It was the best sleep and dream I’ve had in a while, why are you thinking too much into it?”

 

“It’s cause..” Suzy trails off and I know she wanted to say something else but held back, “Nevermind.”

 

“No, tell me. What is it?”

 

“Just promise me you’ll be careful.”

 

“Alright I promise…but I gotta go.”

 

“Okay Chae..talk to you later okay?”

 

“Yep..bye.” I end the call, confused.

 

~ ~ ~

 

I’m pretty sure it’s her..it has to be, she looks like the woman in the photos..my little moon. I hold back my smile..you’ve grown up well.

 

“I’m sorry but have we met before?” She asks, her eyebrows furrowed trying to remember.

 

“I don’t think so no...I’m actually not from here.” I lie to the girl, understanding that she may have forgotten that part of her life.

 

“Hmm judging by your Kiwi accent, I’m guessing New Zealand?” She asks, and I hold back a chuckle, still the same little girl with her non-stop questions.

 

“Actually no, South Korea.”

 

“Huh?” She looked at me confused.

 

“I went to boarding school in New Zealand.” I explain.

 

“Ah I see.” She replied in Korean, surprising me, “I’m Roseanne Park by the way, but you can call me Rosie.”

 

Park huh..what are the chances that you and I got adopted by korean families with the surname Park.

 

“Well Rosie, I’m also a Park.” I chuckled, “Park Chaeyoung.”

 

Rosie laughed at this, “I guess it’s a common surname.”

 

“It is.” I laugh along with the now grown-up woman of the little girl who I promised to find again.

 

“You’re interesting, I like you.” Rosie blurts out and I couldn’t help but a bit.

 

“Oh I’m flattered Rosie, but I’m already engaged.”

 

My response madeRosie laugh so hard no sound was coming out, “OMG Chaeyoung that’s not what I meant...I meant as friends.” She says after catching a breath.

 

“Ah…sorry..” I almost blow my cover but held my laughter in.

 

“Don’t be, if I looked like you. I’d think everyone was trying to hit on me too.” Rosie jokes.

 

“So what brings you to Melbs?” She continues the conversation.

 

“Ah that…” I began, motioning for us to cross after noticing the signal turn green, “Well I’m actuall…” My words die down in my throat when I noticed the speeding vehicle coming towards Rosie and me.

 

My instinct kicking in, I quickly pulled her into my arms, shielding her as the car crashed into us.

 

“Why are you so happy?” Jennie asked, putting her phone away after taking videos and photos of me enjoying the first heavy snowfall of the year. She watched as I smiled with each step, the crunching sound of the snow beneath her shoes making my smile wider.

 

“Because I get to experience something like this with you.” I replied, lifting my head up and to stare into Jennie’s eyes.

 

“Really?” She asked in disbelief, “You’re this happy about something as simple as this? We’ve seen snow together many times.” Jennie chuckled.

 

“I know, but look.” I motioned to our footprints, slowly disappearing under the heavy snow, “It hasn’t been that long, but our prints are already disappearing.”

 

“Isn’t that kind of sad?” Jennie asked, but I shook my head no. Jennie raised a questioning brow.

 

“Those prints may have already disappeared, but as long as we’re here together,” I took her hand and led her a few steps forward, before turning around and saying, “There’ll always be more prints walking side by side.”

 

“Cheesy.” Jennie playfully nudged my side with my elbow.

 

“I know, but you like it.”

 

~

 

“We’re engaged now which means you can’t leave me.”

 

“You know I won’t ever leave you Nini.”

 

“Promise?”

 

“I promise. I will always be with you. Forever.”

 

“I Love you Hubby.”

 

“I love you too Wifey.”

 

~

 

“I just saw our future. I saw us with kids, 2..a boy and a girl..I saw them grow up and have their own children..I saw us growing old together..retiring in New Zealand living our days quietly..it was the life we always dreamed to have with each other..I saw us..living our life together to the fullest. Loving each other until the end. I can’t wait to marry you Jennie Kim.” I smile, watching as Jennie’s features soften and giving me that loving look before she says, “I love you too.” I say it before she can and she laughs. I’ve always loved her laugh.

 

~

“I’ll always come home to you, remember that.”

 

“And I’ll always be here, waiting for you.” Jennie replies.


 

“Jen..”

 

I’m sorry…I love you…be happy.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

-1 year later: Jennie’s POV-

 

In the corners of my eyes it’s like I can still see you around. Like your presence isn’t gone. Like your still here…in the corners of my eyes I see you in the kitchen brewing a cup of tea for us..in the corners of my eyes I see you..But when I turn my head..when I turn towards where I thought you’d be the image of you from the corners of my eyes disappear..and I’m left with this gaping loneliness..holding onto the memories of you..of us..

 

Your shadow still wanders this house, and no matter how much I want to catch it..it disappears. I wonder when I’ll stop seeing the shadows you’ve left here with me?

 

“You promised me you’d always come home to me Chae..” I bury my head into my hands, letting the sobs wreck my body, “You promised. You promised..”

 

“Jennie..” I feel arms wrap around my body, arms that don’t belong to her, “Shhh..just let it out.” Jisoo whispers in my ear, rocking me back and forth like a child.

 

“We were supposed to spend a lifetime together.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

a/n: Okay so I was having major like MAJOR writer’s block and decided to just make this into a one-shot..

 

Let me know what you think..

 

Till next time.

 

Bye~