When You Look Me In the Eyes

Chaennie Shots (Volume 1)

“Chong-ah...is it true?” Lisa looked at the blonde who was at her desk working away.

 

“What is?” Chaeyoung replied, not bothering to look at her best friend’s face. Chaeyoung already knows why Lisa is here in her office at 7 in the morning.

 

“This.” Lisa placed the newspaper on top of the reports Chaeyoung was reading for the day.

 

“Do you think news like this wouldn’t be true?” Chaeyoung asked, finally looking up at her best friend. Lisa stared at Chaeyoung with a worried look on her face.

 

“Chaeyoung..” Lisa sighed, “Are you sure about this?”

 

“Our parents already talked to us about it. She agreed and I did too.”

 

“But…”

 

“The marriage won’t change anything between us.” Chaeyoung interrupted Lisa’s rant.

 

“What do you mean it won’t change anything?! This marriage changes everything!”

 

“Lisa please.” Chaeyoung sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

 

“I’m worried about you…”

 

“I know, and I’m thankful...but I’ll be fine.”

 

“You always say that even though it’s not true. You know you’re not fine. This marriage with Jennie is going to destroy everything you’ve done to move past her.” Lisa spoke so knowingly, and it took every ounce of Chaeyoung’s willpower not to break down. Afterall, it’s been 4 years since then…

 

“Nothing will change Lisa...nothing.” Chaeyoung finally found her voice and for once Lisa couldn’t comprehend what her best friend just told her. What do you mean by nothing? Don’t tell me that even after all this time.. Lisa’s thoughts were whirling and starting to make her dizzy. Shaking her head, Lisa plopped on the chair in front of Chaeyoung’s desk and sighed, she knows how stubborn her best friend can be.

 

“You already made your decision and even though I don’t agree...I’m still your best friend so I will support you in this.”

 

“That’s all I ask.” Chaeyoung smiled for the first time this morning.

 

“But Chae...be honest with me.” Lisa began, biting her lower lip before continuing, “why did you really agree to this?”

 

With a soft smile Chaeyoung replied, “I made a promise.” A distant memory coming back.

Chaeyoung or Roseanne Park as she was known back then, and Jennie were neighbors in New Zealand. The two only being a year apart made it easy for them to be close.

 

“Unnie look, I learned how to play this on the guitar today!” 7 year old Roseanne beamed, while happily carrying her guitar to Jennie’s front yard where the 8 year old was playing with her doll house. Hearing the familiar voice, Jennie looked up and smiled. She’s always thought that Roseanne is too adorable and cute.

 

“What is it?” Jennie turned her entire focus on the little girl, and with a plop Roseanne sat down and began to play You are My Sunshine while adorably singing. Once she was done, Jennie clapped and cheered for the young girl.

 

“Good job Rosie! That was so good.” Jennie beamed at the younger girl who looked at her with a goofy smile on her lips.

 

“Thanks unnie, it took me so long to learn. And my fingers hurt from practicing so much but I really wanted to sing it to you.” Roseanne innocently replied.

 

“Well I’m honored.” Jennie chuckled, before asking if Roseanne wanted to play with her, which of course the smaller brunette agreed.

 

“Today, Barbie is going to marry Ken and then they’ll move into their house.” Jennie began to explain while Roseanne listened attentively. The two played for a while longer before Roseanne’s mom called the girl back home; however, before leaving Roseanne looked at Jennie and asked, “Unnie in the future can I be your Ken?” She asked so innocently, but it stunned the older girl.

 

“Hmmm maybe if you grow a hand width taller than me.”

 

“But Unnie you're so tall!” Roseanne whined, “How about when I get good enough to sing you your favorite song on the guitar.” She bargained and Jennie’s heart melted. She’s always seen the girl as a younger sibling and she couldn’t find it in her heart to say no to her.

 

“Okay how about this, you can be my Ken if you get good enough to sing my favorite song AND if you grow to be as tall as me” Jennie watched Roseanne think about her conditions.

 

“Alright deal. I’ll practice to play the guitar everyday and I’ll stretch everyday so I can be your Ken. I promise Unnie. It’ll happen and I’ll make you as happy as Barbie is with Ken.” Roseanne hugged the older girl before skipping back home with her guitar in tow.

 

Unfortunately, Roseanne’s family had to move to Melbourne, Australia a year later, but when she said goodbye to Jennie she firmly told the girl that she’ll keep her promise no matter what even cutely going as far as telling her that she’ll find her, no matter where she is in the world.

 

“Chae? You here?” Lisa pulled Chaeyoung back to Earth.

 

“Yeah..uhm sorry, did you say something?”

 

“I asked you what promise?”

 

“Oh just a promise I made to someone a long time ago.” Chaeyoung smiled and with a nod Lisa got up, “Alright, I’ll get going now. I’ll see you for lunch later.”

 

“Yep, I’ll pick you up from your studio later.”

 

The day went by in a blink of an eye. Chaeyoung was exhausted, she had meeting after meeting today.

 

“Joy please tell me that my schedule for the day is done.” Chaeyoung whined at her executive assistant and close friend.

 

“Yes yes Ms. CEO, you're done for the day.” Joy chuckled before continuing, “You know for someone that has changed the entertainment industry, you sure are childish.”

 

“You know how I hate meetings and paperwork.” Chaeyoung pouted.

 

“I know you do, which is why I had you do all of it today, so you can loosen up for the rest of the week.” Joy said in a sing-song tone.

 

“AH! You're the best!” Chaeyoung squealed but her happy mood was disturbed by her phone. Glancing at the name, Chaeyoung’s happy mood quickly dropped.

 

“Hey you okay Chae?” Joy asked, placing a hand on her friend’s shoulder. Seeing the name on the blonde’s phone Joy knew why Chaeyoung’s mood suddenly dropped, “ You don’t have to answer.”

 

“It’s okay. I’ll go ahead okay?” Chaeyoung forced a smile, before heading towards the elevator.

 

“Oh Chae what are we going to do about you.” Joy sighed, before leaving.

 

Meanwhile, Chaeyoung stared at her phone, thumb hovering over the screen, contemplating.

 

Should I answer? There’s nothing to say. She agreed to her parent’s wishes and I did too. I told my parents that I won’t see her until I have to. So what is this? Chaeyoung’s mind was in turmoil, but the ringing stopped and the elevator doors opened. Chaeyoung missed her chance and was silently thankful but also regretful.

 

“What am I doing?” Chaeyoung leaned her forehead on the steering wheel of her car, groaning in frustration forcing all the memories out of her head like she has been the last four years.

 

When Chaeyoung arrived home, all she wanted to do was sleep all her problems away; unfortunately, right when she got comfortable on her bed her phone rang out again. Grabbing the device Chaeyoung frowned when she read the text from Jennie.

 

Please answer. It’s important.

 

A second later, Jennie was calling. Running her hand through her hair, Chaeyoung sighed and answered the call.

 

“What?” She asked, voice cold. Emotionless. It stunned Jennie, she didn’t know the blonde could speak so coldly like that.

 

“Ros...Chaeyoung” Jennie caught herself and trailed off, she thought she was ready to speak to the girl. But now she isn’t so sure.

 

“Jennie, it's late and I’m tired. I thought you had something to tell me but we’ve been sitting in silence. Please don’t bother me again.” Chaeyoung spoke up, ending the phone call before Jennie could even refute. Throwing her phone on the spot next to her, Chaeyoung closed her eyes, hoping that she could get some sleep….but her efforts were futile. Hearing Jennie’s voice again brought back memories of 4 years ago.

 

“7 billion beating hearts on this planet...and I just had to fall in love with the one that doesn’t beat for me.” Chaeyoung bitterly chuckled, laying her arm over her eyes, letting her mind wallow back to that time.

 

“Chong-ah I can’t do this anymore. Tell my parents I love them and I’ll miss them!” Lisa dramatically exclaimed, while Chaeyoung just laughed at her best friend.

 

“It’s just math Lisa, it’s not going to kill you.”

 

“JUST math?! Chong-ah why do I, a performing arts and multimedia major, have to know calculus??? Like how will integrals help me? Please do share.” Lisa asked, folding her arms across her chest.

 

“Uh...I don’t know maybe you’ll need to find the area under the curve at work one day.” Chaeyoung innocently replied and of course Lisa had to ask, “Is that a joke Chae?”

 

“LISA!” Chaeyoung blushed, finally realizing what she was implying in her words, but her friend was dying of laughter.

 

“Oh look who’s here it’s the ever elusive Queen B of our uni.” Lisa pointed out while motioning to the cafe door entrance.

 

“The wha….” But Chaeyoung’s words died on her tongue and she felt her breath being out of her lungs when she saw who Lisa was referring to. She can’t believe that she’ll see her Jennie unnie here at Seoul National University of all places. Chaeyoung suddenly remembered her promise from when she last saw the girl.

 

‘I’m taller than her now.’ Chaeyoung mused, her eyes never leaving Jennie and before she knew it Chaeyoung was out the door quickly going after the shorter girl.

 

“Jennie unnie!” Chaeyoung yelled out and when Jennie turned around she felt a sense of familiarity with the blonde girl.

 

“Do I know you?” Jennie raised a brow at the tall blonde girl who was calling her name.

 

“It’s me!” Chaeyoung was over the moon, completely missing the confused look on Jennie’s face.

 

“Me? Me who?” Jennie asked and Chaeyoung realized that her Jennie unnie doesn’t recognize her at all.

 

“Uhm it’s me Rosie.” At the mention of the name, a realization hit Jennie.

 

“Wait Rosie as in little Roseanne Park??” Jennie was speechless, the little girl she used to play with grew up to be a very tall and attractive young lady.

 

“Yeah! It’s me!” Chaeyoung beamed and hugged the shorter girl tightly.

 

“It’s good to see you Rosie.” Jennie hugged the girl back.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

After reuniting the two quickly got close again...and Chaeyoung’s feelings grew stronger.

 

“Are you ever gonna tell Jennie unnie how you feel about her?” Lisa asked while the two were waiting for Jennie at the cafe.

 

“Just because I like it Lis...that doesn’t necessarily mean I have to own it. Just looking at it occasionally is enough to make me happy.”

 

“Wow Chong-ah….you really have it bad.” Lisa shakes her head.

 

“I mean who wouldn’t...she’s just so,” Chaeyoung was making weird gestures with her hands before finally saying, “Perfect.” With a dreamy look on her face.

 

“Ugh gross.” Lisa faked gagged and Chaeyoung playfully pushed her, “But seriously Chong-ah...you should tell her.”

 

“I’ll think about it.” Chaeyoung replied, smiling while her eyes caught sight of Jennie heading towards the cafe. But her smile disappeared when a guy suddenly grabbed Jennie by her wrist, and forced her to turn around. Before Chaeyoung knew it, she was out the door.

 

“Tae what the ?” Jennie pulled her arm away from the guy.

 

“Jennie, can we just please talk. It really isn’t what it looked like. It’s a misunderstanding babe!”

 

“You had your tongue shoved in that ’s throat, what was it supposed to look like CPR?!” Jennie fumed.

 

“What’s going on here.” Chaeyoung asked, putting herself between Jennie and Taehyung.

 

“Who the are you?” Taehyung tried to shove Chaeyoung out of the way, but Jennie suddenly clung onto Chaeyoung’s arm possessively, “She’s my girlfriend.” Jennie voiced out before she could stop herself.

 

“What?” Taehyung looked at Chaeyoung and then at Jennie before bursting out laughing, “That’s a good one babe, but you definitely do not swing that way.”

 

“She really is my girlfriend right Rosie?” Jennie nudged Chaeyoung’s side, pulling the girl out of her trance.

 

“Huh oh ah yeah.” Chaeyoung replied, but Taehyung just raised a brow.

 

“Okay prove it.” He challenged and before Jennie could do something, Chaeyoung turned their bodies, cupped Jennie’s face and leaned in. Jennie’s eyes widened not because Chaeyoung was kissing her, but because Chaeyoung wasn’t kissing her. The blonde put her thumb between their lips, but Taehyung doesn’t know that and in his point of view the two are definitely kissing.

 

“Fine, enjoy your little college experiment.” Taehyung huffed before walking away. Once she was sure Taehyung was gone, Chaeyoung pulled back and stepped away from Jennie.

 

“I-...uhm I’m sorry. I didn’t know what came over me unnie.” Chaeyoung was blushing, even though she really didn’t kiss the girl.

 

“It’s okay Rosie, it’s not like we actually kissed. Thanks for the help.” Jennie laughed at the younger girl, not thinking much about it.

 

After the stunt they pulled in front of Taehyung, news about the two spread like wildfire. Jennie was the university’s most popular girl, she was the dream girl of everybody, and the news of her dating Chaeyoung surprised everyone, because everyone thought Jennie was straight as a ruler.

 

“Well Jendeuk, I guess some rulers are bendy. Welcome to the club.” Jisoo, Jennie’s best friend, teased the girl.

 

“Not you too.” Jennie groaned, slamming her forehead on her desk.

 

“What do you mean? Also, I’m hurt you didn’t tell me you were in the closet and tall, blonde, and Chaeyoung was your girlfriend. I mean have you seen her damn Jen, good catch.”

 

“Everyone has been talking about me and Rosie, and it’s not like that. Tae tried to get me to listen to his little story and Rosie came out of nowhere and I told him that she was my girlfriend and then Rosie kissed me...well she didn’t really kiss me she put her thumb between our lips...but Tae believed it and now the whole school thinks we’re dating even though I have no romantic feelings towards her whatsoever.” Jennie quickly spoke while Jisoo tried hard to keep up.

 

“Okay so you aren’t dating Chaeyoung?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“But she likes you.” Jisoo stated and Jennie whipped her head towards her best friend.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Omg Jen are you seriously that oblivious towards Chaeyoung’s feelings? That girl literally looks at you like you put the stars in the sky. She’s in-love with you”

 

“She is not in-love with me.” Jennie denied, before changing the topic.

 

‘Poor Chaeyoung….girl is going to get her heart broken.’ Jisoo shook her head while she eyed her best friend.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

Months passed by, Jennie and Chaeyoung were still having to keep the pretense. Which wasn’t hard for Jennie because she was naturally clingy anyways, but it was making it hard for Chaeyoung to keep her feelings to herself.

 

“So then Chu was like no one cares about your tiny little….”

 

“I like you.” Chaeyoung suddenly blurted out, her eyes growing wide.

 

“What?” Jennie looked at the blonde girl and Chaeyoung sighed. The cat’s out of the bag.

 

“I like you Jennie unnie.”

 

“Oh well I like you too Rosie, you’re one of my best friends.” Jennie smiled, hoping Chaeyoung would end it there.

“No...I mean...I..I’m in love with you Jennie unnie...I have been for a while now.” Chaeyoung confessed and Jennie was stunned.

 

“Rosie….”

 

“It’s okay, I know you don’t feel the same way. I just...I just had to let you know. Wow….I feel lighter.” Chaeyoung masked her pain with a laugh.

 

‘Jisoo was right...she is in-love with me...but I…’ Jennie’s mind was a mess, but the sad look in Chaeyoung’s eyes and the slight slump in her shoulders made Jennie feel like . Especially since the whole pretending to be girlfriends thing. Jennie felt like she was using Chaeyoung….

 

“Rosie...I...okay. Let’s make it real then.” Jennie, intertwined her fingers with Chaeyoung.

 

“What?!” Chaeyoung looked at the shorter girl in shock.

 

“Let’s date. For real.”

 

“But you don’t even…”

 

“I want to try this..with you. You do make me happy you know.” Jennie smiled and Chaeyoung knew she was telling the truth. And it is true, Chaeyoung did make Jennie happy...just not in a romantic sort of sense.

 

“So we’re together?” Chaeyoung asked, holding both of Jennie’s hands in hers.

 

“Yeah.” Jennie smiled and Chaeyoung pulled her in for a hug.

 

“But let’s take it slow okay.”

 

“Anything you want.”

 

Chaeyoung couldn’t believe that she got the girl.

 

The next day, Jisoo practically dragged Jennie to the building’s rooftop away from the other students.

 

“What are we doing here? We have class in 10 minutes Chu” Jennie stated, pointing at her wristwatch.

 

“Lisa told me that Chaeyoung told her that you two are together. Like together together.” Jisoo ignored Jennie, “I thought you didn’t like her? What happened?”

 

“I’m trying. I can learn to love her. Plus, people date because they like each other, that doesn’t mean they love them.”

 

“Jennie you can’t just force your heart to love someone. And yeah people date because they like someone, but that’s not just because they like them as a friend. Romantic feelings are involved. Chaeyoung is in-love with you and you don’t feel the same. You should have just told her that you can’t give her more.” Jisoo was disappointed in Jennie, especially because Jisoo knows that Jennie will one day leave this whole relationship, if you can even call it that, unscathed while Chaeyoung will most likely have her heart torn apart.

 

“Chu...I know it’s messed up, but I really am trying okay. I really do want to make it work with her. Chaeyoung deserves a chance….we deserve a chance.” Jennie was firm, eyes never leaving Jisoo’s.

 

“Alright, if you're sure….but please Jen...if it doesn’t work out in a year then end it with her. Don’t string her along. You know those two kids have become my close friends as well.” Jisoo sighed, she knows she can’t change Jennie’s mind.

 

“I will.. I promise.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

One year passed...and another...it’s been 2 years since Jennie and Chaeyoung got together; however, Jennie’s heart still hasn’t changed, Chaeyoung has fallen even deeper, and both Jisoo and Lisa have noticed.

 

“You knew, didn't you.” Lisa pulled Jisoo aside when the older girl arrived on campus.

 

“Knew what?” Jisoo asked, trying to feign ignorance.

 

“Jennie unnie doesn’t like Chae...well romantically that is.”

 

“What? Lisa that’s ab….”

 

“Unnie don’t deny it. I saw her talking with the transfer student, Kai.” Lisa interrupted and Jisoo almost cursed out loud.

 

“Okayyyy….”Jisoo tried to pretend to be nonchalant, but of course Lisa wasn’t buying it.

 

“C’mon really?! The two have been going out for 2 years now and Chaeyoung told me that not once have they even kissed! Look I know Jennie unnie wanted to take it slow, but not even a peck unnie. That’s weird for two people that are in a quote unquote relationship. Like nothing has changed I know you know unnie. I’ve seen you three together and Jennie unnie does not light up like that when she’s with Chaeyoung. She doesn’t look at Chaeyoung with that look in her eyes she never has. I know because Chaeyoung looks at Jennie unnie the way unnie looks at Kai. So what I want to know is why she’s still stringing my best friend along.” Lisa pulled all her receipts and Jisoo knew she lost.

 

“You’re right…Jen isn’t romantically interested in Chaeyoung, BUT I tried to get her to end things early, before Chaeyoung fell even more. I don’t know why she’s had it last for this long.”

 

“I gotta find out then.” Lisa was ready to throw hands with Jennie, but Jisoo pulled her back.

 

“Lisa no. If you go and confront Jen now, the news will spread like wildfire. Chaeyoung will most likely find out from someone other than Jennie and be heartbroken.”

 

“SHE’LL GET HER HEARTBROKEN REGARDLESS!” Lisa yelled, not minding the stare she got from the students.

 

“Look I promise you that I’ll convince Jennie to end it. I noticed it too….the way she looks at him and vice versa.” Jisoo sighed, feeling a headache starting to build.

 

“Unnie...please talk to her soon...it’s already killing me because Chaeyoung is so happy right now, but her heart is about to be broken…”

 

“I know Lisa I know….I’ll talk to Jennie soon I promise.”

 

Unbeknownst to the two girls, a certain someone had been listening in the entire time and this someone has also known the truth for quite some time.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

It was their usual Friday date night. Jennie and Chaeyoung were taking a walk around a park after dinner. The sun was starting to set, it was golden hour.

 

“Jen stay still.” Chaeyoung commanded, taking a photo of Jennie with the sun hitting her just right, “See it’s the perfect golden hour photo.” Chaeyoung smiled, ignoring the guilt and the heavy knot in her stomach, while she intertwined their hands together.

 

The two kept walking in silence, which Jennie finds odd, because usually Chaeyoung would be cheery and talkative during their dates.

 

“Are you okay?” Jennis stops, lightly tugging on Chaeyoung’s hand.

 

“Yeah I’m fine why?” Chaeyoung once again smiles, and Jennie can tell something changed.

“It’s nothing.” Jennie decided not to question the girl further. The two kept walking, but Jennie’s phone began to ring, the girl pulled her phone out and Chaeyoung didn’t miss how Jennie’s face just lit up and how the girl smiled so beautifully.

 

“Who is it?” Chaeyoung asked, after minutes of watching Jennie type away on her phone totally forgetting about Chaeyoung.

 

“Huh? Oh it’s just Chu. She’s wondering where I am.” Jennie lied through her teeth, hoping that Chaeyoung would fall for it. She doesn’t, but she pretends to.

 

“Ah well it’s getting late, I should probably take you back home.” Chaeyoung smiled and Jennie sighed in relief.

 

“Rosie...are you really okay?” Jennie spoke up again, when Chaeyoung and her were in front of her doorstep.

 

“Do you remember my promise?” Chaeyoung asked, ignoring Jennie’s question.

 

“Remember what promise?” Jennie was honestly clueless, she tried to rack her brain for the answer but nothing came up.

 

“Wait here okay, I’ll be back.” Chaeyoung once again ignored Jennie’s question and ran back to her car, when she came back. Chaeyoung had a guitar on her shoulder. The image brought back fond memories for the shorter girl.

 

“What’s with the...oh that’s right you play the guitar! I remember you wanted to learn because Alice unnie was learning too.” Jennie smiled, suddenly seeing a 7 year old brunette holding a guitar practically half her size.

 

“Hey Jen...what’s your favorite song right now?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

“Uhm...right now...let’s see...ah it’s When You Look Me In the Eyes.” Jennie replied, but before she could ask why Chaeyoung suddenly began to sing her the song.

 

“When you look me in the eyes.” Chaeyoung spoke the last line, before placing the guitar against the wall and smiling softly at the love of her life, who was tearing up.

 

“Rosie...that was beautiful.” Jennie was speechless, Chaeyoung literally just serenaded her and it made her feel so loved and like at the same time, because the entire time Chaeyoung was singing Jennie could just feel how much she meant to the blonde, while to Jennie...Chaeyoung was just a friend, a younger sister she never had.

 

“I’m glad you liked it. I already knew it was your favorite since you’ve been listening to it on loop non-stop lately so I learned it on the guitar.” Chaeyoung forced a smile, wiping the stray tear from Jennie’s face with her thumb, before hugging the shorter girl tightly.

 

“Are you really okay?” Jennie asked again, hugging the blonde tightly in her arms. Chaeyoung had been acting weird all night and Jennie just can’t figure out why.

 

“You know that I love you right.” Chaeyoung once again ignored the question and she felt Jennie nod on her shoulder pausing a bit. Hoping that the shorter girl will say those three words back, but Jennie doesn’t.

 

Pulling back, Chaeyoung sincerely smiled while she tenderly cupped Jennie’s face, her thumb gently caressing her dumpling cheeks, “I love you so much Jennie Kim.” Chaeyoung leaned in slowly, and gingerly placed a lingering kiss on Jennie’s forehead, before pulling the girl into her arms once again, because Chaeyoung doesn’t want Jennie to see just how not okay she really is.

 

“Jen...I think it’s time….I need to let you go, because you can’t just learn how to love me. No matter how much you think you can, you just can’t force your heart to love someone. Just like how no matter how much I want to, I can’t force my heart to not love you. All I want is for you to be happy and I know that your happiness isn’t with me. So I’m letting you go now.” Chaeyoung whispered in Jennie’s ear, her arms tightening around Jennie’s slim waist one last time, before she let go, took a step back, grabbed her guitar, and looked at the love of her life one last time with the softest most genuine smile she can muster without breaking down, “Goodbye Jennie.” With one last goodbye, Chaeyoung left.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

A/n: Well...I mean part 1...I guess...part 2 is...coming...hopefully...idk when...