Happiest Day

Chaennie Shots (Volume 1)

“Park Chaeyoung.” Jennie glared at the girl.

 

“Jennie Kim.”

 

“Why are you so infuriating?!” Jennie groaned.

 

“I’m not even doing anything.”

 

“Exactly! We’ve been working on this project for hours now, and you haven’t done anything but stare at me.”

 

“Well then stop being so adorable.”

 

“I-- What?” Jennie felt her cheeks heat up.

 

“Aww is Jenjen blushing?”

 

“Again you infuriate me.”

 

~

 

“So...this came today.” Jooyun slid the pastel pink envelope across the table towards me. Just by looking at it I already knew what it was.

 

“Can I?”

 

“Sure.” Joohyun nodded her head, watching me carefully as I opened the envelope.

 

“You are cordially invited to the..” I read the words under my breath, feeling my heart constrict just a tad...not as bad as before. It doesn’t hurt as much as I thought it would.

 

“It says you can bring a plus one, can I take Seulgi’s spot?” I asked her.

 

“Jen..”

 

“Please.”

 

“Yeri told me not to tell you, but at the same time I thought you should know. Maybe it’ll help you finally move on.”

 

“I have moved on. It’s been years Hyun.” I tried to sound convincing.

 

“Jen.”

 

“I won’t ask for anything else.”

 

“Alright.” Joohyun relented.

 

I promised her.

 

~

 

“Chaeyoung seriously, she’ll just say no again.” Joohyun shook her head at the younger girl, while taking the empty spot next to the girl in the art studio.

 

“They say that third time’s the charm Joohyun.”

 

“Seriously what part of no don’t you get??” Joohyun asked, getting her things out from her bag.

 

“I’d stop if she means it.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Whenever she says no.” Chaeyoung focused her attention on the portrait she’s working on,

“She has a smile. It’s small, but it’s there.”

 

“That doesn’t mean anything Chae.”

 

“She’s your best friend Rene, you should know that’s not the case.”

 

“Again huhhh?”

 

“Don’t worry about it. Just know that I won’t ever hurt her.” Chaeyoung’s sincere smile had Joohyun believing in her.

 

“Well I’ll hold you to that then.”

 

~

 

“Jen are you sure?” Sooyoung asked me, and I felt Yeri and Joohyun watching me as well.

 

“Guys, it’s seriously fine. I’m fine. Like I told Hyun, it’s been years. Now can we just get ready? I don’t want her to wait on two of her bridesmaids.” I smiled at Sooyoung and Yeri. I could tell with the way they looked at me that they didn’t believe anything I just said. And in a way I’m trying to convince myself too. I guess it is true when people say that your first love never dies.

 

“Do you want us to tell her you’ll be there with Joohyun?” Yeri asked.

 

“I...I’ll find her myself.”

 

“Yeah you always did.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Nothing.” Sooyoung smiled at Yeri, who understood the comment.

 

~

 

“Did you find her yet?” Sooyoung asked Yeri, winded from running all over campus trying to find their best friend.

 

“No.” Yeri shook her head.

 

“What happened anyways?”

 

“I don’t know...but she’s really upset.”

 

“We’ve searched this campus up and down...I don’t think she’s here, why don’t we try driving around. She might have left.”

 

“Okay let’s do that.”

 

Sooyoung and Yeri did look everywhere on the university’s campus, but they overlooked one place...university lake.

 

“You know, there’s a 45% chance of rain and yet you’re out here without an umbrella.”

 

But Chaeyoung ignored the stranger, keeping her head buried in between her knees. And Jennie should have taken this as a sign that the girl didn’t want to be bothered, but at the same time, something was pulling Jennie towards the girl.

 

“Rain. It’s going to rain, so you should head inside or at least grab an umbrella.”

 

“It’s only 45%, there’s a 55% chance it won’t rain. I’ll take my chances.” Chaeyoung mumbled, refusing to look up.

 

“Actually that’s not what it means. There’s a 100% chance it’s going to rain in 45% of our area.” And as Jennie said, it soon began to rain.

 

“Aren’t you gonna leave?” Jennie asked.

 

“Look, I just had a ty day and really want to be alone. I don’t care about the rain.” Chaeyoung lost her cool, but still kept her head down.

 

“Okay.” Jennie nodded, pulling her umbrella out about to leave the crazy girl, but her feet wouldn’t move away. Instead, she stepped closer to the bench where Chaeyoung sat, and covered her from the rain, “I won’t say anything or ask questions, but just let me at least make sure you don’t catch a cold.” Jennie spoke up, letting the rain fall on her back.

 

~

 

“I’m going to say hi to her with them, do you want to come?”

 

“I’ll go in a bit. I just want to check out the venue a bit.”

 

“Alright.” Joohyun smiled at me.

 

“C’mon you two, before your phones start blowing up with ‘where are you’ messages.”

 

I watched as they entered the venue, leaving me alone outside. There were people going in and out, kids playing and their parents yelling at them to not get their clothes dirty. The venue itself is beautiful. It’s just like Chaeyoung wants. Simple yet elegant, the pastel pink being the motif, of course. I couldn’t stop the small smile on my lips, “It’s just what you dreamed of.”

 

~

 

“Jennie Kim GET YOUR BACK HERE!” Chaeyoung yelled running after the girl who had the audacity to plant a slice of avocado in her sandwich.

 

“Catch me if you can babe!” Jennie yelled, running as fast as her legs could go, but of course Chaeyoung, being the taller of the two, caught up quickly.

 

“Got you!” Chaeyoung’s arms wrapped around the shorter brunette who giggled as her girlfriend began to tickle her sides, “You know I hate avocados love.”

 

“Okay okay I give. I’m sorry. I just wanted to see what your reaction would be.” Jennie’s laugh echoed throughout the park, and Chaeyoung swore to herself she would never not want to hear her laugh.

 

“You prankster, I swear you should stop hanging around Yerim and Sooyoung, they’re influencing you.” Chaeyoung jokes.

 

“Nah, I’ve always been like this. I just hid it for you so I can trap your .” Jennie cheekily replies. Chaeyoung giggles at her adorable girl, and presses her lips on Jennie’s, “Yeah you got me.”

 

“Oh look they're getting married!” Chaeyoung’s attention suddenly was on the church that was across the street from the park where the two were having their date.

 

“Wow, imagine one day that’ll be us.” Chaeyoung’s eyes beamed.

 

“Oh really?” Jennie tilted her head up to look at the girl whose arms were still wrapped around her.

 

“Of course. I just know it’ll be me and you forever Love. And I’ve already decided that pastel pink we’ll be our motif. Aly will be my maid of honor while I know Joohyun will be yours. You’ll choose baby’s breath as your bouquet because I know how much you love them. And at the end of that aisle, I’ll be there waiting for you.”

 

And as Chaeyoung spoke about their future wedding, Jennie could see it unfold right before her eyes. From the flower girls, to the bridal parades, to their parents laughing, to walking down that aisle to Chaeyoung.

 

~

 

“Jen, it’s about to start soon..if you still want to see her before the ceremony..you should go now.” Joohyun’s voice pulled me out of my memories.

 

“Oh alright. I’ll be back.” I nodded at Joohyun about to walk away when she tugged on my arm.

 

“Hmm?” I looked at her.

 

“You’ll be okay right?” Joohyun looked at me, her eyes trying to read what I’m really feeling. Which would be hard, because I don’t even know.

 

“Hyun..I’m okay. I promise.”

 

“I’ll be in the back corner, there.” Joohyun pointed.

 

“Okay..I’ll be quick.”

 

And as I made my way to her waiting room, I couldn’t help but wonder….did we really miss our chance?

 

~

 

“Are you sure you’re not going to go? It’s a great opportunity babe.”

 

“I don’t want to leave you here though. If I take this job, I won’t just be leaving for a few weeks, I’d be moving there for good. And yeah Seoul and Melbourne only have a two hour time difference, but we’d still be oceans apart.”

 

“But Cha..”

 

“No. I won’t take it and I won’t leave.”

 

Jennie just sighed, Chaeyoung is literally choosing her over her dreams. And Jennie didn’t want that, she didn’t want Chaeyoung to regret this. The distance would be hard, but it’s not like they can’t visit. Plus there’s facetime.

 

“I think you should go. No, I want you to go.”

 

“Jennie.”

 

“Listen, it’ll be hard..but we can do it. I don’t know how long we’d have to be long distance, but I know we can make it. And I’ll do my very best to get back to you.”

 

“No love, I’m not taking the chance.”

 

“I told you already that we can do it. You won’t have to take a chance on anything. I’ll always be here for you. And maybe you’ll hate it and come back home. But at least try. It’s your dream babe and I don’t want you to miss this opportunity.

 

And so Chaeyoung left. Moving her life across the water, leaving Jennie and hoping that the two can survive this.

 

But that proved to be much more difficult. Things were great the first year. They had vacations scheduled, talked everyday, it was going great...until Jennie got promoted as Fashion Editor. It required more of her time and she also had to travel more. It put a huge strain on their relationship. They tried though, but soon they both found themselves arguing and losing touch. They both craved for the other, but they didn’t want to be the one to tell the other to come home. Until one day, Jennie had enough. They hadn’t been talking in weeks. It felt like she didn’t have anyone waiting for her.

 

“Hey we need to talk.” Jennie sent Chaeyoung the text.

 

“Yeah...we do.” the girl replied seconds later.

 

And they knew, even though they didn’t want to admit it, that this would be the last.

 

~

 

“You promised her.” I whispered to myself, before finally knocking on the door.

 

“Come in.” I heard her voice for the first time in years, and my heart fluttered. But overall, I stayed calm.

 

I opened the door and when I stepped inside and locked eyes with her, I knew that she was just as surprised.

 

“Hi.” I smiled, genuinely.

 

“Jennie…” I could tell that she wasn’t expecting me to be here.

 

“Why...I mean h-h-ho..”

 

“Joohyun.” I decided to save her from confusion, “I’m her plus one.”

 

“But I mean..” Chaeyoung was still in a state of disbelief, she’s still so endearing.

 

“Congratulations on your wedding Rosie. I’ll be watching you.” I smiled, before turning around and leaving.

 

“You look beautiful...just like I knew you would.” I whispered to myself. I guess this is going to be harder than I thought.

 

“Are you okay?” Joohyun asked once I took my seat next to her.

 

“Yeah.” I managed to say without my voice breaking.

 

A few moments later, just enough for me to compose myself. Chaeyoung began to walk down the aisle. I had to bite on the inside of my cheek to stop myself from breaking down, but when it was her fiancé's turn, I couldn’t stop a tear from escaping.

 

“Jen.”

 

“I’m fine Joohyun.” I wiped the tear away, “She looks happy.”

 

“Yeah she does.” Joohyun agreed with me.

 

And once upon time we both imagined that it was me walking down the aisle to her.

 

After the ceremony, Sooyoung and Yeri quickly found me and engulfed me in the tightest hug ever.

 

“Not gonna lie, but we thought you might speak up rather than forever hold your peace.” Yeri jokes, I smiled. I knew she was trying to make me feel better.

 

“It was a beautiful ceremony, now let’s go get some food.” I smiled at my friends.

 

“Okay.”

 

I told Joohyun we’d only stay for a bit, just long enough to have a meal and congratulate the brides, but I found myself sitting there watching as the party went on, watching as people began to leave the venue, until it was just me, Joohyun, Yeri, Sooyoung, and their families.

 

“Hyun we should get going. Sooyoung still has work tomorrow.”

 

“Oh, jeez I didn’t even notice the time.”

 

“Let me get the car.” I offered.

 

“No you stay Jen, we’ll go grab the car and say bye to Chae and Chu.”

 

“Okay.” I nodded and let my friends go, while I began to gather my own things.

 

“Hey.” I felt her presence next to me, as I stood by the door waiting for Joohyun.

 

“Hi.” I turned to face her briefly.

 

“You didn’t answer my question earlier.”

 

“What question?”

 

“Why are you here?”

 

I smiled at that.

 

~

 

“Why are you so smiley?” Jennie asked.

 

“Huh? What do you mean?”

 

“You’ve been smiling at me all day, care to share why?”

 

“I’m just happy is that bad?”

 

“No...but why?”

 

“Do I need a reason?”

 

“Only if it’s not because of me.” Jennie playfully glared at her girlfriend.

 

“Oh...then I should give you a reason.”

 

“Yah!” Jennie smacked Chaeyoung on the shoulder, “What or who are you thinking about that’s making you all smiley huh? HUH?”

 

“Relax love, I was just thinking about you.”

 

“Sure.”

 

“I’m serious.”

 

“Right right.” Jennie played hard to get.

 

“You make me happy you know that. Like just being here with you. Going on our morning walks...it’s nice. I don’t think I can find anyone else that can make me feel this way.”

 

“Aww babe.” Jennie cooed, pinching Chaeyoung’s cheeks lightly and tiptoeing up a bit to place a chaste kiss on her girl’s lips.

 

“I’m serious and I hope that one day on my happiest day..that you’ll be there.”

 

“Oh you mean graduation.”

“Jen!!” Chaeyoung whined, “You know what I mean.”

 

Jennie laughed, Chaeyoung has always been so annoyingly adorable.

 

“I promise.” Jennie’s face turned serious, “I promise I will be there on your happiest day.”

 

~

 

“Because Rosie…” I paused, “I wanted to fulfill at least one of my promises to you.”

 

“What?”

 

“I know I broke a lot of my promises, but at least I was still here on your happiest day.”

 

I didn’t wait for her to say anything, and quickly got into Joohyun’s car.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Nini you okay?”

 

“I’m sorry what?”

 

“You kinda zoned out on me there. Are you okay?”

 

“I’m fine Lili...I just...saw a friend.” I turned to my wife.

 

“Oh do you want to say hi? We still have time before we board.”

 

“It’s fine.” I smiled at her, leaning my head on her shoulder.

 

“What’s with you?”

 

“Nothing...I’m just happy. I love you.”

 

“I’ll take it.” Lisa chuckled, “And I love you too.” She kissed my head.



 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/N: Bet you guys didn’t think this was going to come out this fast huh. Like I said it’s a story I’ve been wanting to write and..after getting most of you within the last 24hrs. I thought okay. The decision was made.

 

Let me know what you think.

 

 

Also, here is the breakdown of the poll, for those interested:

 

A = Angst

H= Happy

 

1= Chaeyoung

2= Jennie

 

With

 

C=Lisa

D=Jisoo


 

The winner is A, 2, C

 

So an angsty story with Chaeyoung getting married and Jennie ending up with Lisa.