Little Details

Chaennie Shots (Volume 1)

“There are my favorite twins!” Jisoo playfully chuckled, seeing the two redheads walking into class.

 

“Chu seriously...are we still on this?” Lisa chuckled, taking her seat behind the brunette.

 

“Hey it’s not my fault you two dyed your hair the same color.”

 

“There’s no point Lis, just let her go, she’ll get tired of it sooner or later.” Chaeyoung replied, taking her seat next to Jisoo on her right.

 

“Hmm I doubt that, but whatever helps you sleep at night..but wait where’s Jen? You guys always come to class together.” Jisoo frowned, ever since she’s known the three they have always been together, it’s weird seeing Lisa and Chaeyoung without Jennie in between them.

 

“Student council meeting.” Lisa replied, resting her head on top of her textbooks.

 

“Yep, she should be here soon.” Chaeyoung replied, opening up her notes to review some things ahead of class, “Actually Chu..shouldn’t you be…” but Chaeyoung’s words were drowned out as Jisoo rushed out of the classroom to go to the student council room.

 

“What kind of VP forgets student council meetings?” Lisa chuckled.

 

“Our best friend, Jisoo Turtle Rabbit Kim apparently.” Chaeyoung laughed.

 

Being neighbors, Lalisa Manoban, Jennie Kim, and Park Chaeyoung have been friends since they were 5. Where one goes the other two are usually there to follow. It’s always been like that, the three were a packaged deal. When Lisa was separated into another class from the two in the 5th grade, she met Jisoo and the 4 became friends easily. So now, it’s been the four of them ever since.

 

After 10 minutes, Jennie and Jisoo came back.

 

“Took you guys long enough.” Lisa huffed, finally lifting her head from her books and pouting at the girls.

 

“Well we would have finished earlier if someone,” Jennie eyed Jisoo, “wasn’t late to the meeting.”

 

“I wasn’t late, everyone was simply early.” Jisoo chuckled, using that Princess Diaries quote for the nth time.

 

“Right okay Chu.” Jennie playfully rolled her eyes, taking the seat behind Chaeyoung next to Lisa.

 

“Here.”

 

“Here.”

 

Chaeyoung and Lisa smiled at the same time.

 

“Thanks guys.” Jennie smiled, taking the herbal tea from Chaeyoung and the breakfast sandwich from Lisa.

 

“AWWWWWWWW” The class cooed. Since the three were together all the time, it obviously attracted the attention of the other students. Doesn’t help that the girls are actively involved in the school. Jennie being Student council president, Lisa the dance squad’s ace, and Chaeyoung being the top student 4 years in a row now. So anytime any of them do something like this, it always garners a reaction from everyone. Usually though, it’s Chaeyoung and Lisa that look out for Jennie. Thus, they’re dubbed as the bodyguards, much to Jennie’s annoyance.

 

“Okay that’s it.” One of the students got up to the podium, “Jennie Kim we have to know is it Lisa or Chaeyoung?” The question got the three girls involved confused, while Jisoo looked on with an amused smile.

 

“IT’S DEF CHAEYOUNG! I mean look at her.” A student voiced out.

 

“Yep, the two are just perfect. The height difference, the opposite aura..it’s just wow.” Another pipped in.

 

“BOLD OF YOU TO ASSUME THAT. Lisa and Chaeyoung are practically the same height. It’s Lisa all the way, her playfulness always makes Jennie smile the most! Also, Lisa is just as beautiful. It’s Jenlisa all the way.”

 

“Nah nah it’s Chaennie all the way, sit your asses down.”

 

“No it’s not!”

 

The class soon interrupted in a war between ships, much to the annoyance of Jennie, Lisa, and Chaeyoung. Who were all clueless on how to properly respond, because two of them never considered dating each other before. And now that the idea is planted in their brains it’s honestly, freaking them out a bit.

 

“WHAT IF IT’S JISOO!”

 

“Nah! If it’s not Chaennie then it's Chaesoo. Get your facts.”

 

“Bruh seriously? If it’s not Jenlisa then it’s Lisoo.”

 

“OKAY! That’s enough guys.” Jisoo spoke up after her name was thrown into the mix, “The three dorks are just like that, leave them and me be. We’re friends okay. Don’t get that mixed up in your heads.”

 

“Well said Ms. Kim. Now, everyone get to your seats, class is starting.” Their homeroom teacher finally came and settled the class down.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“You were distracted all day today Chae.” Jisoo spoke up, the two walking home from school. Jennie and Lisa had after school activities and would be going home later.

 

“No I wasn’t.” Chaeyoung denied.

 

“Really Chae? I know I haven’t known you as long as Jennie and Lisa have, but give me some credit here.”

 

“Okay fine I was just a little distracted.” Chaeyoung admitted,

 

“Really now? I had no idea.” Jisoo replied teasingly, “So what’s got our top student distracted from school?” Jisoo turned serious.

 

“I was just..thinking..about stuff.” Chaeyoung bit her lower lip.

 

“Hmm...want to know what I think?” Jisoo asked, taking a few steps ahead of Chaeyoung, arms around her back. Turning around and giving the red head a knowing smile.

 

“I want to say yes, but your scarily perceptive Chu.” Chaeyoung chuckled lightly, catching up to the shorter girl easily.

 

“So is that a no?” Jisoo asked, locking her arms around Chaeyoung’s arm.

 

“Hmmm how about we just leave it at that for now.”

 

“Okay.” Jisoo backed off, knowing that Chaeyoung had figured it out already.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Hey Jen..can we talk?” Lisa suddenly stopped. The two were done with their after school activities. Well Lisa finished first, but waited for Jennie so the two could walk home together.

 

“What’s up Lis? You okay?” Jennie asked, turning to the taller girl.

 

“I just..uhm..” Lisa began to play with her hands, an indication that she was nervous, “I just.. wow..I just don’t really know how to say this.”

 

“Must be something pretty serious for you to be this nervous.” Jennie teased, not used to seeing Lisa this flustered in front of her.

 

“Yeah well...you know I was just..thinking about things..and..”

 

“Lisa just spit it out..it’s just me.” Jennie assured the girl, who was just babbling nonsense at this point.

 

“I..” Lisa closed her eyes, taking a deep breath, “I would choose you.”

 

“What?” Jennie furrowed her brows.

 

“If I had to pick between you and Chae...I would pick you. Always.” Lisa stated so confidently, looking straight into Jennie’s eyes. Totally catching the girl off guard.

 

“Lisa..”

 

“Look Jen..I know okay. This is crazy and very much cliche...but I just needed you to know. You don’t have to say anything and this won’t change anything between us.” Lisa genuinely smiled.

 

“You know that I love you both right?”

 

“I know...and I don’t want to make things awkward between us or anything..but I just want you to know, before I lose my chance that I do like you..more than my best friend.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

Later that evening, Jennie was up at the treehouse in Chaeyoung’s yard. Thinking about what Lisa said. Jennie isn’t dense, but how can she not see or even perceive that Lisa has feelings for her.

 

“Penny for your thoughts?” Chaeyoung’s calm voice pulled Jennie out of her deep thoughts.

 

“Chae.” Jennie looked up, smiling softly at her.

 

“That’s me. So what’s got our dumpling so lost in thought you didn’t notice me coming up?” She asked, settling down next to Jennie, draping a blanket over their shoulders. It was cold and Jennie had a thin shirt on.

 

“Nothing, I guess I’m just stressed with all the stuff happening in school. We only have a few months left until graduation. And I guess it’s starting to dawn on me that this is it. The next part of our lives are about to start.”

 

“Yeah..it’s crazy huh. How fast time seemed to pass. I mean remember when we used to play up in this treehouse when we were kids? The memories.” Chaeyoung’s eyes wandered around the treehouse. Smiling at how they still had some of their old toys there and some drawings as well.

 

“I know...sometimes I wished we could go back to the time before things changed.” Jennie voiced out her thoughts.

 

“Changed? Nothing has changed Jen. We’re still the same, just older.”

 

“I..that’s...Lisa has feelings for me.” Jennie said in such a soft tone, Chaeyoung barely caught it.

 

“She..” Chaeyoung gulped, feeling a sudden shroud of dread drape over her body, “She does.”

 

“Yeah..she told me today.”

 

“Wow..I..I didn’t expect that..what did you say?”

 

“What was I supposed to say?”

 

“I don’t know..do you feel the same?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

“I’m not sure. Maybe? I mean we’ve been best friends forever. How can I just choose between you two?”

 

“Hey just because you two are dating..that doesn’t mean the three of us won’t be friends anymore. Just follow your heart Jen. Everything will be fine.”

 

“You promise.”

 

“I promise.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

‘I think that was the first promise I broke. It happened years ago, but looking at it now...it was the first time I did that..and I’ve been breaking my promises to her..to them ever since.”

 

“Rosie! You here?” A light shove brought Chaeyoung back from her daze.

 

“Oh Suzy..sorry I was lost in my thoughts, what were you saying?”

 

“Alright missy, something is up with you. Now spill.” The dark haired girl raised a brow, crossing her arms and staring at the blonde girl in front of her.

 

“What? Nothing is up. I just zoned out for a bit there.” Chaeyoung denied, but after knowing the girl for 4 years now, Suzy knew better.

 

“I don’t believe you. Now tell me Park.”

 

“I was just reminiscing. That’s all.”

 

“Rosie seriously. Fine fine. I’ll let you off the hook for now. Anyways, have you settled your papers yet?”

 

“Hmm just finished.”

 

“Are you excited? You’re finally going back after 4 years and with your amazing best friend to boot.” Suzy flipped her hair over her shoulder causing Chaeyoung to chuckle at her antics.

 

“Yeah sure, try saying that out loud when you meet my friends. They’ll fight you for that title you know.” Chaeyoung chuckled, her mind going back to that day when she decided that she won’t be going to uni with Jennie, Lisa, and Jisoo.

 

“Lol did I just hear that right?” Lisa looked at Chaeyoung with furrowed brows, while both Jennie and Jisoo were stunned. It was spring break, the girls at Jennie’s house planning their dorming situation for university after finding out they all got accepted into Yonsei university, when Chaeyoung dropped the secret she’s been hiding for months now.

 

“Yeah... I got accepted at the University of Melbourne and I decided to go for it.”

 

“So you're moving to Australia?” Jennie spoke up after the girls were able to digest Chaeyoung’s words some more.

 

“Not permanently, but for the next 4 maybe even 5 years...yes.” Chaeyoung couldn’t look Jennie in the eye.

 

“Why?” Lisa asked, her head leaning on Jennie’s shoulder, while the latter was snuggled in between Lisa’s legs.

 

‘Because I could barely survive the last few months seeing you two together being all sweet and clingy, so leaving is the best choice for me to move on.’ Chaeyoung thought to herself, but of course she didn’t say that. Rather she said, “I didn’t think I would get in, but they offered a full scholarship and I think it’ll be fun. It’s something new.”

 

“Yeah right. Of course you’d get in with your brains.” Jennie scoffed, feeling her stomach knot up at the thought of Chaeyoung being thousands of miles away from her.

 

“Jen.” Jisoo spoke up for the first time, “I think it’s great news Chae. I’m proud of you. It’ll be great.” She smiled.

 

“Thanks Chu.” Chaeyoung returned the smile.

“Jichu is right. It is great news Chae and also a really good opportunity. You should definitely go Chipmunk. Right J.” Lisa looked at her girlfriend who still had a scowl on her face.

 

“Jen?” Jisoo looked at Jennie. All eyes were on her. Waiting.

 

“Yeah it’s...it’s great Chae and we’re really proud of you.” Jennie forced a smile.

 

“Thanks guys.” Chaeyoung smiled at her three best friends.

 

That evening, Chaeyoung once again found herself climbing up the treehouse.

 

“Penny for your thoughts?”

 

“How’d you know I was up here?” Jennie asked, knees up against her chest, head buried in her arms.

 

“I don’t know...I just sensed it.” Chaeyoung chuckled, squatting down in front of the brunette.

 

“Jen?” Chaeyoung whispered, tapping her forearms lightly, noticing how Jennie refused to lift her head up from in between her arms, “What’s wrong?”

 

Jennie just shook her head lightly, “Nothing...I just couldn’t sleep.”

 

A lie. Chaeyoung knew she was lying as well as how she was forcing herself to smile earlier.

 

“I know something is bothering you Jen...should I call Lisa?” Chaeyoung bit her lower lip, realizing that this has become their routine since the two began dating. Chaeyoung would sometimes find Jennie in the treehouse or sense that something was up and would either offer to call Lisa or subtly mention it to the other girl. Of course Chaeyoung could lend her shoulder or a listening ear to Jennie….but things changed for her after two of her best friends started dating.

 

“I’m fine Chaeyoung.” Jennie lifted her head, staring deeply into Chaeyoung’s concerned eyes.

 

“You always look at me like that.” Jennie whispered, her gaze still holding Chaeyoung’s eyes.

 

“Like what?” Chaeyoung averted her gaze.

 

“Like I mean the world to you.”

 

“Because you do Jen.” Chaeyoung admitted, pausing for a bit before she continued, “You, Lis, Chu..you guys..you all mean the world to me.” Chaeyoung hoped that Jennie would leave it at that, which thankfully she did.

 

“Now, tell me..what’s really got you all frowny over here.”

 

“I can tell with the way you’re looking at me that you already know.”

 

“I might have an idea, but I’m not sure.”

 

“Right as if I could ever hide anything from you Chae. You always seem to know my moods..sometimes it scares me how much you can read me like an open book.” Jennie admitted, because out of her two best friends and girlfriend, it’s always been Chaeyoung that seems to know exactly what Jennie needs or if she’s troubled, sick, basically anything.

 

“You're exaggerating, Jen. I just happen to be by your side for over a decade now so of course I know your mannerism. So, now tell me why are you so upset with me leaving?” Chaeyoung addressed the problem, realizing that Jennie will go around and around in circles but not once broach the subject.

 

“I’m not upset.” Jennie denied right away, and Chaeyoung raised her brow at this, “Yeah you are Jenjen.” Chaeyoung used that nickname for the first time in a while.

 

“I’m not upset..I’m just..I don’t know worried? I guess...I don’t know how to explain what I’m feeling in one emotion. It’s like I’m happy and proud, but scared and sad.” Jennie paused, and Chaeyoung just took the girl’s hand in hers, patting it lightly to let the girl know to keep going and that she’s here.

 

“I am proud of you Chae...I really am. And I’m so happy for you right now. But I’m also sad that I, no we, have to be away from you. I mean we’ve all been talking about going to uni together and all the stupid college we’d get into...and I’m also worried about you being alone in a different city all by yourself. Like I get that you’re smart brain is fluent in english, but it still worries me you know. I’m not there, Lis, Chu...we’ll all be here..and what if you meet friends over there...and we’ll not be best friends anymore...like what if we drift away from each other...what if you drift away from me, us?”

 

“Jennie..” Chaeyoung sighed, pulling the shorter girl into her embrace, “I won’t ever drift away from you guys. I promise. No matter how far apart we are, we’ll always be best friends.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Yeah well I’m ready to throw hands with them for my Rosie.” Suzy chuckled, side hugging the girl.

 

“Possessive aren’t you.” Chaeyoung chuckled.

 

“Only for you. You know that.” Suzy seriously said.

“It’s getting late, we should head back to the dorms before we get locked out….again.” Chaeyoung threw Suzy a knowing look while the girl merely shrugged her shoulder, “Okay that was one time.”

 

“Three actually.”

 

“Tch whatever.” Suzy cutely huffed, stomping away from Chaeyoung.

 

The weeks flew by. Chaeyoung’s graduation came and went and now she’s on a plane back to Seoul with Suzy.

 

“Who’s picking you up?” Chaeyoung asked as the two stepped out of the arrival gates with their luggages in tow.

 

“My cousin..she should be..ah there..Joohyun unnie!” Suzy quickly ran towards some random direction before Chaeyoung could get a word out.

 

“Rosie, this is my cousin Bae Joohyun..or Irene as she likes to be called..Unnie this is my bestie Roseanne Park. We met in uni.” Suzy smiled, introducing the two.

 

“Nice to meet you Roseanne...I’m sorry if this is too forward, but you look really familiar, have we met before?” Irene scrutinized the girl in front of her, she swears she’s seen this face before.

 

“Actually, I get that alot. I guess I have one of those faces..but I don’t think we’ve met before.” Chaeyoung lightly chuckled.

 

“You get that line a lot Rosie not because you have one of those faces, but because those people were hitting on you..Jeez.” Suzy playfully smacked the girl’s shoulder.

 

The three talked for a bit longer, but Suzy and Irene had to go.

 

“Are you sure you don’t want us to give you a ride Roseanne?” Irene asked.

 

“No it’s fine, my ride is almost here. You guys go ahead.”

 

“Rosie.” Suzy gave Chaeyoung a look.

 

“It’s fine, just go. I’ll call you tonight.” Chaeyoung assured the girl.

 

“Okay fine.” Suzy finally relented.

 

After the Baes left, Chaeyoung immediately spotted a familiar black sedan.

 

“CHU!” Chaeyoung practically lept into Jisoo’s arms once the girl got out.

 

“CHAENGIE!” Jisoo returned the hug with as much strength.

 

“Gosh look at you, even more beautiful in blonde. Congratulations on graduation Chaeyoung. Sorry we couldn’t be there.” Jisoo smiled at the girl.

 

“Thanks Chu...and congratulations to you too..I’m sorry I missed yours...Our schedules never seemed to match huh.” Chaeyoung replied back, while placing her luggage in the back of the car.

 

“I know. Weird how 4 years went by and not a single time could you come back here...or have time for us to visit you. Double weird how we only ever seemed to be able to reach you with a text or short phone call.” Jisoo replied in a knowing tone after the two settled into her car.

 

“Chu…” Chaeyoung paused, looking at the girl with apologetic eyes.

 

“Fine fine, I won’t say anymore...but just know...one of us is really mad at you.”

 

“I think I know who.”

 

“Of course you do.”

 

“Obviously, if not then I wouldn’t be picking you up alone.”

 

“Okay okay I get it...I’m sorry Chu..I just..needed time..you know that.” Chaeyoung sighed, running a hand through her hair.

 

“I know...and I’m assuming that you coming back means things are better for you.”

 

“Yeah…” Chaeyoung smiled, “Things are better.”

 

“Good.”

 

“Now just nap there. I’ll wake you once we reach.”

 

Chaeyoung nodded her head, turning to stare out the window, diving head first into her thoughts again.

 

“Chaeyoung...be honest with me.” Jisoo looked at the taller girl. The two were on their way home from the mall, separating from Jennie and Lisa to give the two some alone time.

 

“What is it Chu?”

 

“Are you just unaware or are you pushing it away?”

 

“Huh? I’m lost.” Chaeyoung frowned, trying to decipher Jisoo’s question.

 

“Your feelings for Jen.” Jisoo bluntly replied and the statement caught Chaeyoung so off guard, she almost tripped over her own foot.

 

“What feelings?” Chaeyoung feigned ignorance.

 

“You're really gonna act like you don’t look at Jen like she’s the love of your life?”

 

“I seriously don’t know what you mean Chu.”

 

“Chaeyoung...whenever there’s anything, whatever it is, bothering or wrong with Jennie..you are always the first one to pick up on it. When Jennie would go to school with a fever, one look at her and you already have a hand on her forehead, frowning while scolding her for coming to school sick...while the rest of us thought she was totally fine. Or when she had bad cramps but played it off, yet you knew and had painkillers on her desk. Or when she’s troubled by something, and you would always be the first to realize it and usually find her in the treehouse. Like, it’s always been you noticing all these little details about her. Always. Since I’ve known you guys.”

 

Chaeyoung was about to retort Jisoo’s statement but the brunette beat her to it, “And don’t even try to deny it or say you treat me and Lis like that because you don’t look at us the way you do at Jen. You care for us yes, but with Jen there’s more. Like I said the little details Chae. And don’t worry, it seems like those two are oblivious of it as well.”

 

“This is why I said your scarily perceptive Chu.” Chaeyoung chuckled lightly, trying to mask her pain at the thought of Jennie and Lisa.

 

“So you’re aware of your feelings..”

 

“Yeah...since that one day in class when Jiyeon asked her to pick one of us...when I was distracted.”

 

“I figured that’s when you realized it. You were so distracted that day it was weird. Honestly, we were worried too.”

 

“Yeah..well, I just I don’t know...I never really thought about it...but when it was asked in the open like that..I wanted her to say my name..and it confused me because I never thought of her or Lisa like that...but then it made me realize how my gaze would seem to linger longer on her, how she could make my grey skies blue, how I seem to always be thinking about her. I guess...I realized that somewhere along the way I may have fallen for Jennie...but I guess I was a step late.”

 

“Chaeyoung.”

 

“It’s fine Chu. I’m happy for them really. Plus, I’ll be going away soon too.”

“Yeah I know….speaking of that...Chae..your sudden decision to go abroad...is a part of it because of Jen?”

 

“I’d be lying if I said no. At first I did it for fun, just to see...but it’s been getting harder and harder to pretend these days, so I decided that I need some time away. So I accepted the offer.”

 

“It’s still great either way. And we’re really proud and happy for you Chae...just promise me that when things get hard...or when you feel like things are too tough that you’d call me.”

 

“Promise.”

 

“Chae, we’re here.” Jisoo lightly tapped Chaeyoung awake.

 

“Hmm? Hmm.” Chaeyoung was slowly stirring, stretching her arms, feeling the jet lag hit her.

 

“C’mon you big baby. Let’s get you inside so you can rest.” Jisoo chuckled at her friend.

 

“Okay.” Chaeyoung yawned, wanting nothing more than to get inside her apartment and sleep.

 

“Thanks for getting this place for me Chu.” Chaeyoung smiled.

 

“You’re lucky the family next to my unit moved out when they did, it made my job that much easier.” Jisoo chuckled, showing Chaeyoung to her apartment.

 

“Perfect, I already had furniture and stuff sent. And my parents dropped my things off here too.” Chaeyoung smiled, the two getting inside, with Jisoo leading the way.

 

“I guess that’s it.” Jisoo smiled, placing the last of Chaeyoung’s luggage in her room.

 

“Thanks again Chu.”

 

“Of course. Just get some rest, I’ll wake you in a few hours? We have dinner with the girls.” Jisoo smiled.

 

“Yes ma’am.” Chaeyoung laughed lightly, trying to mask her nervousness of seeing her again.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“So you all settled there?” Suzy asked.

 

“Yep, I’m all unpacked. Just gotta buy a few more things and then it’ll be home.” Chaeyoung smiled, balancing her phone on her shoulder, while fixing her shoes.

“Perfect. Oh by the way unnie finally remembered why you looked familiar, apparently your friends with her girlfriend and saw a group photo of you guys before.”

 

“Really? So it wasn’t a line.” Chaeyoung chuckled.

 

“Yes Rosie, this time it isn’t.”

 

“Told you...oh before you forget, don’t forget you’re meeting my friends tomorrow at 1.”

 

“Yep yep I put it in my calendar.”

 

“No, I put it in your calendar. We both know you won’t do it unless it’s on your calendar.”

 

“Is it attack Suzy day or what? Damn.” Suzy laughed.

 

“It’s always attack Suzy day...anyways I gotta go.”

 

“Okay have fun. I’ll facetime you later.”

 

After ending the phone call, Chaeyoung stepped out and walked to the next door to Jisoo’s.

 

“Ready to go?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

Arriving at the diner, Chaeyoung had a wave of nostalgia hit her.

 

“Wait, I thought we’re having italian?”

 

“We lied. We thought having our first meal together at our usual would be the best.” Jisoo laughed.

 

“I really did miss you guys.” Chaeyoung looked all teary.

 

“Hey don’t cry now, cry later when Lisa has her phone out.” Jisoo chuckled.

 

“I’m not crying.” Chaeyoung pouted, following Jisoo out of the car.

 

Opening the red door and hearing the little jingle at the top, felt like Chaeyoung was transported back to her high school days. And if memory serves her right, if she turns her head to the back corner booth, Jennie would already be there, because the brunette was always the first one to get there to make sure they got their booth.

 

So when Chaeyoung turned her head and wasn't met with Jennie’s bright smile, but Lisa’s who had the widest smile, waving animatedly at her and Jisoo, she pushed the negative thought away and smiled at the dark haired girl.

“Joy and Yeri are coming too, with Seulgi unnie and her girlfriend.” Jisoo spoke, while the three scooted in their booth, “Wendy unnie can’t. She’s staying late in the studio.”

 

“That’s okay.”

 

The three girls soon fell into an easy conversation, mainly with Chaeyoung describing her time in Australia with more details. Once the food began to come out, the other girls came.

 

“Oh Irene unnie?” Chaeyoung noticed the girl hand in hand with Seulgi.

 

“Rosanne.”

 

“ROSANNE?” The entire group looked at Chaeyoung with that gaze.

 

“Guys.” Chaeyoung looked at her friends, “It’s fine. Things are better now.”

 

“I’m sorry should I not call you that?” Irene spoke up.

 

“No no unnie you can call me that. Or Chaeyoung, my Korean name, whichever really.”

 

The dinner went well, the group catching up with everyone and just reminiscing on some old times too.

 

“It’s really good to have you back Chae.” Lisa spoke while the two were walking with Jisoo back to her car.

 

“Yeah..it’s been a long time.” Chaeyoung smiled, before she got in the car and drove off with Jisoo.

 

That evening, Chaeyoung was turning and tossing, but sleep seemed to evade her.

 

“I thought everything would be okay…” She sighed, getting out of bed, calling a taxi to take her to a familiar neighborhood.

 

Climbing up, Chaeyoung felt the wave of nostalgia hit her.

 

“It’s still the same.” Chaeyoung smiled to herself, taking a seat on Jennie’s bean bag, at the edge of the treehouse, it overlooked the horizon perfectly. It was Jennie’s favorite spot.

 

“Everything is still here Jenjen…everything but you.” Chaeyoung let the tears she held out, burying her head in between her knees.

 

“Chaeyoung…”

 

“Lisa...how’d you know I was here.” Chaeyoung looked up, seeing her best friend look at her with sad eyes.

“Are you okay?” Lisa asked, ignoring the other girl’s question.

 

“It’s been almost 5 years Lis...of course I’m fine.” Chaeyoung replied, it was true. She was fine.

 

“Are you sure?” Lisa asked, taking the spot in front of the girl. Funny Chaeyoung used to do this with Jennie all the time. “No more dreams?” Lisa pressed, wiping the last stray tear from Chaeyoung’s cheeks.

 

“I’m fine Lis...the memories..they just hit me..and no more dreams...just memories…” Chaeyoung smiled, “Really precious ones.”

 

Lisa looked at the blonde girl with guilt and worry, before taking the spot next to her. Leaning her head on Chaeyong’s shoulders.

 

“Chae..I..” Lisa began, but Chaeyoung put a hand up, patting Lisa’s head comfortingly.

 

“It’s okay Lis….you made her happy you know.” Chaeyoung whispered, gazing at the night sky.

 

“You did too Chae…” Lisa paused, gulping down and deciding it was time to tell Chaeyoung the truth, “You made her happier than I ever could. She loved you, more than you know she did.”

 

“Lisa?” Chaeyong turned to look at the dark haired girl.

 

“Here.” Lisa gave Chaeyoung a small device.

 

“Is this..” Chaeyoung took the item from Lisa’s hands, “I thought you guys watched this already…you know they disappear after that.”

 

“Yeah, but you weren’t there...and it wasn’t right. Auntie and uncle trusted me with this..they wanted me to give it you when you’ve gained the little spark in your eyes back.”

 

“But Lis...this..it’s supposed to be seen by…”

 

“It’s supposed to be seen by the person or people you treasure most in your lifetime, up until death.” Lisa finished Chaeyoung’s words, “I know...and we all know that..it was you Chae...you were the most important thing to Jennie. I told you she loved you..she loved you so much, and I..think you’ll find it all in there. The things she wished she told you.” Lisa smiled, feeling the heavy weight lift from her shoulders.

 

“I loved her and all I ever wanted was for her to be happy...and there are days where I wished I had seen it and realized it sooner..but things happened for a reason...it’s not like we can go back in time and change the past. Just promise me you’ll watch it.”

 

“I promise.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

It’s been 2 weeks and Chaeyoung hasn’t watched it yet. The memory cube is just sitting on her desk, all she has to do is activate it. But once activated it can’t be stopped, rewinded, or recorded. You get to see it once, that’s it. Those were the rules. They don’t know how it works, but the memory cube has been a part of society for over a century. Scientists were able to merge someone’s most precious memories in a device after they have passed. The window to do so is short though..some people only get seconds while some can get hours. The faster they are taken to the hospital the more memories could be extracted.

 

“I knew you haven’t watched it yet.” Jisoo barged into Chaeyoung’s room, surprising the blonde who just stared at the small device.

 

“I just...I don’t know..I’m scared...I guess.”

 

“Yeah...how about we all watch it together?” Chu smiled, and Lisa popped out behind the girl.

 

“I’d like that.” Chaeyoung smiled.

 

“Here we go.” Chaeyoung sighed, activating the cube.

 

“PARK CHAEYOUNG YOU!” Little 7 year old Jennie began to run after 7 year old Chaeyoung, who decided to put some finger paint on the girl’s cheeks.

 

“Try and catch me Jenjen!” Chaeyoung chuckled, running quickly in front of Lisa, who was playing on the Playstation, not caring about anything else.

 

“You! I’m telling!” Jennie began to cry, and Chaeyoung immediately stopped running away from the smaller girl.

 

“Jenjen.” Chayoung went over to the girl, taking her handkerchief out from her pocket and wiping the girl’s tears, “I’m sorry...look..” Chaeyoung smeared some paint on her cheeks as well, “We’re matching.”

 

That earned a small smile from Jennie, “hmm…” Jennie looked at the girl with a devious smile, and quickly added more paint on Chaeyoung’s face, before running away with the biggest gummy smile on her face.

 

~

 

“Guys! This is Kim Jisoo, she sits next to me in class.” Lisa smiled, bringing a slightly smaller girl to the table, the three sat during lunch, “Chu this is Park Chaeyoung and Jennie Kim, my best friends.”

“Wow you're really pretty!” Chaeyoung squealed.

 

“Thank you.” Jisoo blushed.

 

“AH! Jenjen that hurt.” Chaeyoung pouted, rubbing the arm Jennie not so lightly pinched.

 

“Stupid Chaeng.”

 

“Sorry about them Chu, they’re like that. Jen, be nice.” Lisa gave Jennie a look.

 

“Hi.” The girl looked at the newcomer briefly, before returning her attention to her food, ignoring whatever the other three were talking about.

 

“Jisoo’s nice, don’t be moody.” Chaeyoung whispered, intertwining her hand with Jennie’s under the table.

 

“I’m not being moody.” Jennie whispered back, a small smile playing on her lips, while finally joining the conversation.

 

“See I told you she was nice right?” Chaeyoung asked Jennie, while the two were waiting for the math teacher to come back to class.

 

“Yeah Chu is cool.” Jennie smiled.

 

The memory faded and the next one began.

 

“Hey..you okay?” Chaeyoung sat next to Jennie, passing a mug of hot cocoa to the girl.

 

“How’d you know I was up here?” Jennie smiled, for the first time today, taking the mug from Chaeyoung.

 

“Just a feeling.”

 

“Now, what happened?”

 

“Jongin and I broke up.” Jennie sighed, burying her head into her arms again.

 

“Jen…” Chaeyoung engulfed the girl into her arms, “I’m sorry..”

 

“No..I’m not sad actually...I’m more relieved.” Jennie lifted her head up, staring into Chaeyoung’s eyes.

 

“Oh.”

 

“Why are you so stunned, it’s not like I was in-love with him or something.” Jennie laughed at Chaeyoung’s stunned face.

“L-l-love?” Chaeyoung stuttered.

 

“Yeah, Chae. I liked him yes, but I didn’t love him. I mean we’re literally in middle school. There’s plenty of fish in the sea.”

 

“Right.”

 

“But thank you...for always being here.” Jennie hugged the taller girl all of the sudden.

 

“Always.”

 

~

 

“Chae!” Jennie clung onto the girl.

 

“Oh Jen, what’s up. Be careful.” Chaeyoung quickly held onto Jennie’s body steadying the girl, “I’m sorry Chanyeol..but let’s be friends okay?”

 

“But Chaeyoung I..”

 

“She said no.” Jennie spoke up, glaring at the tall boy.

 

“Right...friends.” Chanyeol gulped, walking away before he embarrasses himself even more.

 

“So that just happened.” Chaeyoung chuckled, while Jennie was still holding onto Chaeyoung’s arm.

 

“Yeah...what’s with all these boys AND girls confessing to you today.” Jennie squinted her eyes at Chaeyoung.

 

“I don’t know, summer fling?” Chaeyoung shrugged her shoulders jokingly.

 

“Right, then when freshman year starts y’all just breakup. That’s not how it works.” Jennie was talking nonsense.

 

“I was joking.” Chaeyoung deadpanned.

 

“Oh..” Jennie giggled softly.

 

~

 

“Good morning Jendeukie.” Jisoo clung onto the girl while the two were heading to their homeroom.

 

“Good morning”

 

“Hmmm, where’s Chae and Lis?” Jisoo looked around, but the two mountains were nowhere in sight.

 

“Lis had morning practice with the dance squad and Chae has an appointment this morning, but the two of them should be here soon.”

 

“Wow your timing J.” Jisoo chuckled, seeing both Chaeyoung and Lisa walking into class,

 

“Morning.”

 

“Ayo good morning Chu, Jen.” Lisa smiled.

 

“Mor..” Chaeyoung stopped, frowning, “Hmm..” the girl quickly went to Jennie and placed a hand on her forehead, “Tsk..I knew it. You’re sick.” Chaeyoung frowned.

 

“Chae I’m fine.” Jennie pulled at Chaeyoung’s hand from her forehead.

 

“You're lying. Now c’mon, let’s get you to the Nurse Lee.”

 

“Chae..”

 

“Jennie Kim.” Chaeyoung used her authoritative voice and Jennie knew there was no fighting it.

 

“Why do you have to be so stubborn? If you were sick, then stay home.” Chaeyoung lightly scolded the girl, while placing a cooling towel on Jennie’s forehead.

 

“Sorry…”

 

“Just…” Chaeyoung sighed, “Just rest okay? No need to apologize to me. Just get better soon.”

 

“Hmm.” Jennie nodded, feeling her eyes start to droop.

 

“Sleep well Jenjen.” Chaeyoung whispered, and Jennie let herself succumb to sleep.

 

~

“I still can’t believe you chose Roseanne.” Lisa was chuckling loudly.

 

“I didn’t choose it, this one over here.” Chaeyoung pointed at Jennie, “Though it would be a great name.”

 

“Really Jendeuk, Roseanne?”

 

“What? I love that name. Roseanne, has a nice ring to it. Roseanne Park. Or Rosie.” Jennie looked at Chaeyoung. The girls had to come up with English names for their English class and Chaeyoung allowed Jennie to pick hers.

 

“Rosie.” Jennie smiled, looking at Chaeyoung, “It suits her..perfectly.”

 

~

 

“I..” Lisa closed her eyes, taking a deep breath, “I would choose you.”

 

“What?” Jennie furrowed her brows.

 

“If I had to pick between you and Chae...I would pick you. Always.” Lisa stated so confidently, looking straight into Jennie’s eyes. Totally catching the girl off guard.

 

“Lisa..”

 

“Look Jen..I know okay. This is crazy and very much cliche...but I just needed you to know. You don’t have to say anything and this won’t change anything between us.” Lisa genuinely smiled.

 

~

 

“Hey just because you two are dating..that doesn’t mean the three of us won’t be friends anymore. Just follow your heart Jen. Everything will be fine.”

 

“You promise.”

 

“I promise.”

 

~

 

“You always look at me like that.” Jennie whispered, her gaze still holding Chaeyoung’s eyes.

 

“Like what?” Chaeyoung averted her gaze.

 

“Like I mean the world to you.”

 

“Because you do Jen.” Chaeyoung admitted, pausing for a bit before she continued, “You, Lis, Chu..you guys..you all mean the world to me.”

 

~

 

“I won’t ever drift away from you guys. I promise. No matter how far apart we are, we’ll always be best friends.”

 

~

 

“I found you.” Chaeyoung smiled, once again finding Jennie at their treehouse.

 

“You always do Chae.”

 

“So what’s got you all pouty today? It’s graduation tomorrow Jen! Aren’t you excited?”

 

“Hmm I am.”

 

“I don’t think you are.” Chaeyoung chuckled, laying down next to Jennie on the floor.

 

“I am really.” Jennie leaned her head on Chaeyoung’s shoulder.

 

“Alright, I’ll let you off the hook this time.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

The two sat in silence for a bit, just watching the night sky.

 

“Hey Chae?” Jennie spoke up, but was met with silence, looking at the taller girl Jennie couldn’t stop the smile from blooming on her face, seeing the girl peacefully asleep in her arms, “You’re beautiful Chaeyoung.” Jennie snuggled closer to the girl, smiling when Chaeyoung wrapped an arm around her.

 

“Jenjen.” Chaeyoung whispered in her sleep.

 

“I have always loved it when you called me that. It used to be Jenjen...but as we grew up it just became Jen. Sometimes I feel like there’s this distance between us, but then you would always ease my thoughts. Always looking at me with that gaze of yours with a soft smile. You know it makes my heart flutter whenever you look at me. Park Chaeyoung.” Jennie paused, leaning closer towards Chaeyoung, “I don’t know if I’ll ever have the courage to tell you this, but if I don’t do it now I might combust...I love you Chaeyoung. Always have and always will.” With that, Jennie leaned up and placed a lingering kiss on Chaeyoung’s forehead.

 

~

 

“Hey Jen where are you? We’re all at the stadium?” Chaeyoung spoke over the phone.

 

“I’m on my way! I forgot something at home, mom and dad should be there already.”

 

“I thought you had everything this morning before we left?”

 

“It’s just something.”

 

“Okay, well I’m at the entrance waiting for you. Lisa and Jisoo are inside taking photos.”

 

“But it’s raining Chae, just head inside. There’s only 1 more stop until the stadium.”

 

“Stop?”

 

“Yeah, I took the bus, mom and dad have the car remember.”

 

“But you never take the bus on rainy da...Jen? Jen? HEY JENNIE KIM WHAT WAS THAT NOISE???? JENNIE!”

 

“Chae...I..” Jennie was gasping for air, the bus made a turn too sharply and slid off the road.

 

Chaeyoung was frantic, she heard the crash. She knows it was a crash and Jennie..she can barely hear Jennie.

 

Jennie was looking around, her whole body hurt. She realized that she wasn't even in the bus anymore, the impact was that bad and she was one of the standing passengers.

 

“Chaeyoung..” Jennie’s vision was blurring, but she saw her, Chaeyoung in her graduation dress, soaked in the rain running towards her.

 

“Jennie...no no no no..please stay with me. Hey Jenjen.”

 

‘It’s warm, very warm. Chaeyoung’s embrace..they’re always warm.’ Jennie thought to herself, letting Chaeyoung’s warmth embrace her cold body, and her soothing voice lulling her slowly.

 

“Chae..” Jennie breathed out, for the last time.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

“YAH PARK CHAEYOUNG! WAKE UP!”


 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

A/n: Okay I’m stopping here because I have reached a crossroad...so I’m going to put a poll and YOU all decide where we all go next.

 

Choose wisely :) You guys have 2 days.

 

Also, do let me know what you all think.