Memories Pt. 13

Chaennie Shots (Volume 1)

I watched as Rosie’s expression fell slightly, taking her phone and pocketing it.

 

“Who texted?” I asked, we were having such a good night, but now it’s all ruined.

 

“Just my sister.” She replied, I knew she was lying...she could barely look me in the eye.

 

“How do you know Suzy?” She finally speaks up after a few moments of silence. At the mention of her name, my blood begins to boil again.

 

“We met once.”

 

“Oh...I see...Why does it seem like you don’t like her.”

 

“Why would I? She’s obviously into you.”

 

“Really? You got all that from the 30 seconds we were all in the same place?”

 

“I have eyes Rosie. I can tell when someone is looking at you differently.”

 

Rosie sighs heavily, “She’s just a friend.”

 

“Sure..” I mutter under my breath.

 

“Right.” Rosie nods, getting up from the couch, walking around my living room. Something’s off with her.

 

“Always waiting for me…” Rosie mutters, “Always right Nini?” She looks at me, and for the first time since I met Rosie..I don’t recognize the look in her eyes.

 

“Nini? What’s with the new nickname.” I play it off cool, trying to show her how unaffected I am by that name. Watching her carefully, I’m scared...this Rosie..it isn’t my Rosie.

 

“Jennie.” She calls me, her back turned, eyes gazing out my window, “8 years ago, I was in a really bad accident. A car ran a red light..”

 

“Stop it.” I say, but she keeps going, “It struck us both. She was brain..”

 

“I said stop it.”

 

“Dead and I had a piece of shrapnel in my heart.”

 

“Rosie...please..” I begged, and she finally turned around to meet my eyes.

 

“I have her heart now.” She says, “Do you wanna know who saved my life Jen?”

 

“Roseanne..” My tone was dangerously low.

 

“It’s Park Chaeyoung.”

 

I shut my eyes tightly...I couldn’t look her in the eye.

 

“Were you ever honest with me Jen?” Rosie asks, I open my eyes...and my heart breaks…

 

“Of course Rosie, why are you even asking me this?” I take a step closer to her.

 

“Really?” She asks and I nod, “Then what’s my favorite fruit?”

 

“Avocados duh.” I chuckle, trying to lighten the heavy air around us.

 

“What do I drink in the morning?”

 

“Tea, you don’t drink coffee.”

 

“Color?”

 

“Baby pink.”

 

“What’s one of my habits?”

 

“You bite your lower lip when you're anxious.”

 

I answer all her questions without any hesitation.

 

“Jennie..what’s my favorite flower?”

 

“Irises.”

 

Another silence takes over us, my heart pounding against my chest, because I just realized all my answers were not about her.

 

“No...Jennie..my favorite fruit are mangoes, I drink coffee in the morning, my favorite color is white, I have a bad habit of cracking my thumbs, and my favorite flowers are roses…” Rosie gives me a sad smile, as if realizing something herself.

 

“All this time..tell me the truth Jennie.” Rosie wasn’t asking, she was telling me.

 

I stayed quiet, because how could I possibly say something now to salvage my mess.

 

“Jennie please...just tell me. I know you’ve known..so tell me.”

 

I stayed quiet, hoping that I’ll wake up from this nightmare.

 

“Tell me Jennie...please. Tell me....” Rosie was begging, crying, and I couldn’t say anything.

 

“Is her heart the reason why? Because it beats for you again, you feel like I’m her?! But I’m not. I’m not her Jen, I’m me. I’ve always been me. But even though she’s gone you still can’t let her go. So you chose me because I have her heart right? But I’m not Chaeyoung! I’m Rosie..I’m me..and you..you need to stop seeing me as her..you need to stop seeing me as just the vessel for her heart. Can’t you look at me, just me. Because even if it’s her heart, it’s still me that loves you..it’s just an organ Jennie.” Rosie’s eyes look so broken, and it’s all my fault.

 

“Rosie…” I finally will myself to take those few steps towards her, “Please, listen to me.” I try to hold her hand, but she pulls back, walking away from me and heading towards my door.

 

“Rosie, wait.” I call out to her, she stops. Her back still turned to me.

 

“Jennie...I chose you...even though I knew what you meant to her and what she meant to you...I chose you because I thought you’d chosen me too...but you didn’t. You chose me because of her...You..” Rosie pauses, “You’ve always chosen her.”

 

And Rosie leaves, while I’m stunned, trying to figure out how I somehow was able to lose the one thing I promised myself I won’t.

 

“Don’t let her go..” I thought I heard a voice no, it was more like I felt it and soon I found myself running after her.

 

“Rosie! Wait!” I watch as she steps in the elevator and I curse myself for living on the 22nd floor.

 

Waiting for the next lift felt like an eternity. There are 4 elevators on this floor and yet they all decide to take their sweet time.

 

“ROSIE!!” I yell from the other side of the street, “ROSIE! WAIT! LISTEN TO ME!” I keep yelling as I cross the street.

 

“HEY watch it!” Cars are honking at me, but I don't mind them. Although it does make Rosie finally turn to look at me.

 

“JENNIE!” She runs back right as I finally make it across, “Are you crazy? You could have gotten hurt!” She says, hands on my shoulders checking to see if I was injured.

 

“I’m fine.”

 

“Jesus what were you thinking?” She scolds me.

 

“I was thinking that if I let you leave now, you won’t ever come back.”

 

“Yeah well...what am I even coming back to?” She asks.

 

“Me. Us.” I take her hand in mine, squeezing it gently, “Can you please listen to what I have to say.”

 

“Jen..”

 

“Please.”

 

“Alright, c’mon. Let’s get back inside.” Rosie agrees, and I keep a tight hold on her hand the entire way back to my place.

 

“Wait here okay.” I say as she settles back on my couch.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Don’t leave.”

 

“I won’t.”

 

“Promise.”

 

“Promise.”

 

Nodding, I made my way to my office and grabbed the envelope Seulgi gave to me months ago.

 

“Chae left this for me.” I say, handing her the envelope, but she just leaves it on the coffee table in front of us. I knew what her eyes were asking me.

 

“I admit in the beginning, I opened up to you because I knew about her heart.” I confess, “But even before I knew, I’ve always felt this connection to you, like you made me feel like things were going to be okay. You made me feel at peace and as I spent more and more time with you..I found myself falling. With or without Chae’s heart. I love you Rosie...just you..and although Chaeyoung would always be special to me...it’s you that I would choose, over and over again.”

 

“How did you find out?” She asks, and I motion towards the envelope.

 

“Chu are you seriously bailing out on me right now?” Jennie whines, as she sits at the table waiting for her best friend.

 

“I’m sorry Jendeuk, but this is a super last minute thing. Maybe you can call Nay or Joohyun.” She suggests.

 

“It’s fine, I’m already here, might as well enjoy the food. I’ll just have them pack yours up.”

 

“Yay! Thanks Jendeukie.”

 

After ending the call, Jennie began to eat the sushi she had ordered and asked the staff to prepare a to-go bento for Jisoo.

 

“I’m just going to eat at Cosmos next time.” Jennie grumbles, luckily she’s in a private room at Kojima.

 

“Sorry am I late?” Jennie hears a familiar voice in the room next to her, curiously she makes her way towards the wall.

 

“Actually you’re right on time.” She hears another woman, “So, are you ready now?”

 

And Jennie should have sat back down and not listened but you know what they say...curiosity killed the cat.

 

“Rosie...heart transplant...Chaeyoung..secret.” Jennie’s mind was whirling with these thoughts as she tried her best to drive herself home without getting in an accident.

 

“Chu..”Jennie called Jisoo as soon as she got home.

 

“What happened? Are you okay? Do you need me to come over?” The other girl asked, she didn’t like Jennie’s tone over the phone.

 

“I..” Jennie’s voice was caught in when she remembered the envelope, “it’s nothing...I just forgot your meal at the restaurant.” Jennie ended the call, and when Jisoo tried calling her back it was ignored.

 

Sitting in her office with the envelope in front of her, Jennie finally decided to open it. Inside were records and photos.

 

“Barnardos Australia…adoption papers...what?” Jennie was trying to piece all these things that Chaeyoung left her.

 

“Chaeyoung...what is all this..what do you want to do with this?” Jennie didn’t know what to do with all this, “Really Hubby...what is this?” She was at a loss, Chaeyoung didn’t leave a note or anything. The only thing that could help was the card to the private investigator she hired.

 

“What if...this wasn’t even supposed to be mine in the first place. Is this your secret? And who is that girl you facetimed before the accident..I thought I was the last person you talked to...”

 

The questions in Jennie’s head kept piling up...but there was one thing she was sure of..Rosie now has Chaeyoung’s heart.

 

“Hubby.” Jennie played with her necklace that had her engagement ring.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“Ms. Kim here is everything that Ms. Park had me look into.” Clark, the private investigator, handed Jennie a thumbdrive.

 

“Thank you Clark.” Jennie smiled, placing the item in her purse.

 

“Of course..and I know it’s late but I’m sorry for your loss.”

“Thank you. And about the other matter I asked you to investigate?”

 

“Roseanne Park was involved in the accident with Park Chaeyoung and her heart was transplanted into Roseanne. At that point Chae…”

 

“Stop, it’s fine. So Rosie has her heart.”

 

‘At least it went to a good person.’ Jennie thought to herself with a soft smile.

 

~

 

“That’s how I found out...and I know that Chae was adopted as well.”

 

“What about Suz..”

 

“Don’t say her name.” I rolled my eyes remembering the first time I met that thing, “But I did go to her...she was the one who hired Clark for Chae.”

 

“I was wondering when you’d pay me a visit.” Suzy smiled at the brunette entering her office, “I’ve heard a lot about you Jennie Kim.”

 

“Then you know why I’m here.”

 

“You just want me to confirm what you already know right?”

 

“I’m not here to play games Bae Suzy.”

 

“And you think I am?”

 

“Just tell me what you know.”

 

“I’m not at liberty to tell you that Ms. Kim.”

 

“Look at you being a good doctor now.”

 

“I won’t tell you the answers to questions..when you already know them.”

 

~ ~

 

We sat in silence after that..Rosie just going through the papers in the envelope.

 

“Say something.” I finally spoke up after watching her for a while and hoping this won’t be the last.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/N: Hopefully this didn’t disappoint you guys….

 

Also, Memories is coming to an end soon, maybe within the next 4 or less parts...but I also thought of this second arc that I’m like noooo I can’t lol.

 

As always let me know what you think…should Rosie just forgive and forget??

 

I’m sorry for the wait

 

Till next time

 

Bye~