Parallel Part 2

Chaennie Shots (Volume 1)

A/N: If you prefer the bittersweet ending do not read this lol.

 

Earth-2

 

When Ruby Jane got back she was in a white room. Her body felt heavy, like it was hit by a truck.

 

“What the hell? What happened.” She groaned, trying to clear her blurry vision.

 

“Ruby Jane? Hey can you hear me?” Irene woke up when she heard the groaning coming from the girl, “here drink this.” Irene helped the girl drink some water, pressing the call button so she can alert the nurse that the girl is finally awake.

 

“Irene? What happened?” Ruby Jane asked, her voice hoarse like she’s been asleep for a long time, while they waited for the doctor.

 

“You don’t remember?”

 

“No..but I had the strangest dream.”

 

“Hello Ruby Jane, it’s good to see you up. I’m just going to do some checks okay.” Ruby Jane’s doctor, Dr. Choi smiled, and the girl complied.

 

Earth -1

 

After Ruby Jane pushed Chaeyoung to go after Jennie, the girl wasted no time.

 

“Chae? What are you doing here?” Jennie frowned, it was almost midnight.

 

“I..hold on..let me catch my breath.” Chaeyoung heaved, she ran up 10 flights of stairs because she missed the elevator.

 

“Come inside, let me get you some water.” Jennie led the blonde to her couch, but when she turned to go to the kitchen, Chaeyoung caught her hand.

 

“I need to tell you something.”

 

“What is it?” Jennie, sat down next to the girl who was still holding onto her hand.

 

“I talked to Ruby Jane...I told her about how I..”

 

“Chaeyoung stop...I don’t want to hear this.” Jennie interrupted the girl, trying to pull her hand away, but Chaeyoung held on tighter.

 

“Did you know that in her universe soulmates exist and that her soulmate, Rosie, she’s me in their universe? Crazy right...Yeah well after I told Ruby Jane how I felt she told me her story with Rosie. Did you know that my parallel self in her universe is Rosie...she told me that I reminded her of Rosie...that we had similarities, but that she can’t fall for me..because I’m not her soulmate…”

 

“Chaeyoung I…” Jennie didn’t know what to say, her heart broke more for her not so little Chaeyoung, rather than her own. She loves the blonde, she wants her to be happy, and Jennie sincerely thought Ruby Jane felt the same, but was holding back because of her.

 

“Wait I’m not done...Ruby Jane helped me realize something else...the way she sees Rosie in me..it’s the same way that I see you in her.”

 

“Chaeyoung what?”

 

“Ruby Jane helped me realize that I’ve been thinking that I’m in love with her, when in reality...my heart has always been wanting to be with a certain ‘Solo’ singer.” Chaeyoung confessed.

 

“I..uhm..Chaeyoung..” Jennie was stunned, this was not what she had expected, “Chaeyoung you can’t be serious...I mean do you remember when I first met Ruby Jane. I asked you if it was her and you said Yes, Chae. And then I asked you if it made sense...and then you went on about all these little things that made you..”Jennie paused, trying to keep her composure.

 

“It’s the cute way she says oh my neutrino but I wish she said oh my god. It’s the way she juts her lower lip out and scrunches her eyebrows just a tad when she’s become too engrossed in her work but really I want to see her squint her eyes ever so slightly, nibbling on her lower lip, while she places a thoughtful finger on her chin when we’re working together in the studio. And it’s the way you’re still smiling even though I thought that I fell in love with a girl who’s a whole universe away from home. It’s just all these little things that she did which reminded me of you and I just found myself wanting her to be you.” Chaeyoung interrupted Jennie, speaking those same words to the girl, but with her true feelings, “I had always wanted her to be you.”

 

“Then why did you keep pushing me away?” Jennie asked, crying from Chaeyoung’s sweet confession.

 

“Because I was scared you were going to leave me again...and then Ruby Jane she was there and she’s not you..not even remotely close but I guess her having the same face as you made a difference..” Chaeyoung lightly chuckled, pulling her little dumpling in a comforting embrace, “But Jennie Kim...even though we don’t have soulmate marks here...I know that I won’t love anyone else than you. You are my soulmate, my only one.”

 

Jennie hates how good Chaeyoung is with words, because if she melted at Chayoung’s initial confession, she definitely is a puddle of emotions for the blonde right now.

 

“Chae...it’s always going to be you too.” Jennie replied, pulling her head up from Chaeyoung’s chest, her eyes searching for any hesitation, but saw none. Jennie only saw that soft loving look on the girl’s face, and Jennie took that as her invitation..so she cupped the blonde’s face and kissed the girl deeply.

 

“I love you so much Park Chaeyoung, don’t let me break up with you again.” Jennie smiled, breathless from their kiss.

 

“I love you too Jennie Kim and there is no way in hell will I ever let you go again.”

 

~ ~

 

The two spent the night just talking and really catching up with each other again. When morning came, Jennie and Chaeyoung woke up with wide smiles.

 

“Good morning Hubby...Happy birthday.” Jennie smiled, cuddling closer.

 

“Good morning, thank you.. I totally forgot about it, I was just focused on you.” Chaeyoung admitted.

 

“Always gotta be smooth hmm Chae.” Jennie playfully hit the girl on the shoulder, but Chaeyoung knew Jennie loved it.

 

But their morning time was cut short when Jennie’s phone rang.

 

‘Ruby Jane goes home today’ was the reminder and Jennie bolted up from bed.

 

“Hey what’s going on?” Chaeyoung asked, confused.

 

“I’ll explain on the way, but we need to get back to your place like now.” Jennie commanded and Chaeyoung followed with no questions.

 

When they got back to Chaeyoung and Lisa’s condo, the two found Lisa and Jisoo crying on the couch, party decorations left on the floor. With furrowed brows Chaeyoung went over to ask what was going on, but Jennie just went straight for Ruby Jane’s room.

 

The room was clean, spotless. There were no theories and equations taped on the walls, the bed was free of loose leaf paper with scribbled notes. Chaeyoung’s laptop was closed rather than opened with the monitor showing computer mumbo jumbo the others can’t comprehend.

 

“Is she really…” Chaeyoung came in, wiping the stray tear from Jennie’s cheeks, “Yeah..she’s gone.” Jennie cried, and Chaeyoung too began to cry.

 

“She didn’t even say goodbye..” Lisa huffed, her sobbing contained into small little hiccups. The 4 girls huddled under a giant blanket, with hot cocoas. Chaeyoung and Jisoo had calmed down but their girlfriends were still very much sad. For Chaeyoung, she actually expected this, her gut told her that the girl was leaving soon..it’s just that she didn’t expect the girl to leave so soon and on her birthday no less.

 

“I knew she was going to leave today, but I didn’t think she would do that to us. She told me that she would say goodbye to all of us before she left…” It was Jennie’s turn to sniffle.

 

“Wait you knew she was leaving today?” The three girls all looked at Jennie, and the Jennie guilty nodded her head yes.

 

“WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL US!” Jisoo and Lisa stood up yelling, while Chaeyoung gave Jennie the saddest pair of eyes the girl has ever seen.

 

“She asked me not to...she told me that she’ll tell you guys and we can say our goodbyes after we celebrated Chaeyoung’s birthday.....”

 

“Okay, do you think that she really just left without even a note?” Lisa asked, she’s spent a lot of time with Ruby Jane, learning from the girl and talking about the DC universe which Lisa forced Ruby Jane to watch with her (of course the physicist scoffed at some of the inaccuracies). So, her leaving without a goodbye really hurt the girl.

 

“Oh my baby...it’s okay. Maybe she did leave one. Let me check okay?” Jisoo wiped her girlfriend’s tears, and kissed her pouty lips before heading to the guest room.

 

When Jisoo got back, she had Chaeyoung’s laptop with her and a small box.

 

“I think you guys need to see this.” Jisoo spoke, you can tell the girl cried again..and when Chaeyoung opened her laptop, they understood why...Chaeyoung looked at the other girls and they nodded for Chaeyoung to play the video.

 

“Okay uhm..oh this is so awkward..how do you do stuff like this Jen?” Ruby Jane laughed at herself, shaking her hands to get rid of her nerves, “Alright well...uhm I don’t know how to really begin..nor do I even know what to say…” Ruby Jane trailed off..her eyes wandering away from the camera but to something on the wall, she got up just a bit to reach for something and when her face was back in the frame, she had a huge smile on her face, her gums showing.

 

“I think this is my favorite photo of us, “ Ruby Jane began, showing the polaroid of the 5 of them on the beach with wide smiles on their faces, “Everytime I look at it, I’m reminded of the four wonderful women who took me in even though I’ve just been a burden..”

 

At this, the 4 girls whined at the screen that Ruby Jane wasn’t a burden, as if she can hear them.

 

“I know you guys are whining right now..but sometimes I felt bad for not being able to pull my own weight around here..which is why I’m glad that I somehow managed to find myself in the hands of well paid people.” Ruby Jane chuckled, her eyes starting to water.., “Oh I told myself I wasn’t going to cry..but I..I’m sorry that I didn’t say all of this to your faces..but I had a feeling that if I did I wouldn’t leave...You see, I’m not really fond of goodbyes...So I thought that if I left this video instead of a note that you’d at least remember me..I know you won’t forget my face though.”

 

The girls laughed and looked at Jennie who winked before they refocused on the video.

 

“Jisoo Turtle Rabbit Kim..you are an amazing actress and honestly, I don’t know how you can keep up with those 3 kids..me included. I know I’ve dumped a lot of my stresses on you and I’m thankful for you always there to just listen..You’re like my Irene..uhm my best friend..in this universe, always keeping me grounded. I’m going to miss our chicken escapades at 2 in the morning. I wanted to tell you this before I left..because I felt that no one ever told you this before, but it’s okay to let your emotions out. It’s okay to cry and not always be strong. Crying doesn’t make you weak Chu, it makes you human.”

 

“La-la-la-Lalisa Manoban you kiddo. This will be the only time I do that so keep it forever. Lisa you are like the younger sister I never had. I know you always thought that I thought you were bothering me while I worked, but that’s not true at all. I enjoyed it when you would pad in the guest room and ask me about how I’m doing, if I’m getting closer to the answer, and to explain what I currently know. I also enjoyed the DC shows you forced me to watch, they actually helped me more than you know. Make sure you take care of yourself okay? Don’t over work yourself too much, leave the studio sometimes and take Jisoo out on a date or something. Also, I know you’re going to be crying..so stop crying okay? Just remember that I’m here, in another universe..wondering what happens to Iris on the 7th season on the Flash...I can’t believe I’ll never know. Lisa..you kiddo the happy energetic Lalisa, I know that people think you’re always this happy go-lucky kid, but you have your moments of maturity and you are fiercely protective of your friends like a momma bear. You’re amazing Lisa. Keep lighting the world with your smile.”

 

“Next..we have my twin. Jennie Kim. Jennie, pardon my french, Mothering, Kim. You are one of the strongest woman I know. And I know that I told you I was going to say my goodbyes in person, but like I said..goodbyes are hard for me. So forgive me please? Jennie Kim, in this universe you are South Korea’s IT girl. Anything you do, say, wears becomes a trending topic and I also know that you hate that title and the pressure it puts on your shoulders. But like I said your one strong girl. A tough cookie. I’ve read the things people have written about you and those faceless people...their words mean nothing. I want you to remember that Jennie. No one else’s opinion matters, no one but yourself. Your job description says that you sing and dance, nothing else. So just do what you do best. You are amazing Jennie Kim and I’m not saying this just because you're my parallel universe self. Keep dreaming J.”

 

“Lastly, Park Chaeyoung. I think saying goodbye to you is harder than the rest, because of who you are..or rather who you look like. But you already know that right...Chaeyoung-ah I want to say thank you, because you have managed to help give closure to the story that Rosie and I wrote. You and her, you had so many similarities, like I told you..but also so different and every moment I spent with you, the differences got clearer. Chaeyoung you are an amazing woman and you care so much for the people you love. You literally do everything you can to keep those around you happy, even if it sometimes costs you your own happiness. And I wish that you would stop being so selfless all the time, to stop sacrificing your happiness for the sake of others. You and Rosie share that personality trait. And so I’m going to tell you what I told her. Chaeyoung-ah it’s okay to be selfish sometimes, it’s okay to want things for yourself. Live your life for your own happiness not for someone else, unless that someone is Jennie Kim. In this universe there is no such thing as soulmates, but I know that you and Jennie..you two are meant to be. Your soulmates. So cherish all the time you have with each other. I am going to miss you Chaeyoungie.”

 

“With that, I really am going to miss you all..so much. And I don’t know if this video and the gift I left will still exist when I leave..but it didn’t feel right if I didn’t do anything for you guys So in the desk drawer there’s a small box with four necklaces inside, but they’re not just regular necklaces. If you hit the button on the side something cool will happen.”

 

Of course, Lisa had to try it right away and when she hit the button, a holographic picture of the polaroid Ruby Jane held up earlier showed up in their living room, “Woah!” The four girls were amazed.

 

“Cool right? Jisoo, Lisa, Jennie, Chaeyoung...thank you again for everything. I am going to miss you guys so much and I do hope we can see each other again. I love you guys...Goodbye.”

 

With that the video ended, the girls were a sobbing mess once again.

 

“Ruby Jane.” they cried, they know the girl is still alive, but it still feels like they lost her forever.

 

Earth-2

 

“Oh my G-force I need to call Rosie and tell her you're awake.” Irene quickly said after Dr. Choi left.

 

“That’s not funny Irene. You Know that Rosie passed away 3 years ago.” Ruby Jane frowned.

 

“No..she didn’t, but you on the other hand, have been in a coma for about 2 weeks. You two were in an accident, a truck driver fell asleep on the wheel. Rosie was able to maneuver the car, but lost control. You hit your head pretty badly.”

 

“Wait what? Irene what year is it?”

 

“2017.”

 

“What?!” Ruby Jane was shocked, she thought it was 2020. She can clearly remember it being 2020 and the accident and Rosie...it was all real, Ruby Jane knew that so then how..

 

“Ruby Jane.” Rosie’s sudden appearance pulled Ruby Jane out of her thoughts.

 

“Rosie..”

 

“Oh my goodness, I was so worried about you. I thought you were going to leave me forever.” Rosie began to cry, holding Ruby Jane in her arms, who began to cry as well.

 

“I missed you Rosie. I missed you so much.”

 

“I did too Love. I missed you so much. I’m so happy you woke up.” Rosie planted kisses all over Ruby Jane’s face.

 

“Okay that’s enough sweetness from you too. Jeez where’s my Seulbear when I need her.” Irene whined, pulling the lovebirds from their reunion.

 

“Sorry Irene.” Rosie shyly apologized.

 

~ ~ ~

 

Ruby Jane was kept in the hospital for another 3 weeks. She had to do some physical therapy and Dr. Choi wanted to be sure the girl was both physically and mentally fine before allowing her to go home.

 

“Ta-da home sweet home.” Rosie chuckled, after opening the door to their condo.

 

“It’s good to be back home with you.” Ruby Jane hugged her fiance by the waist, once Rosie settled her bags in their bedroom.

 

“Okay what’s going on with you?” Rosie asked, hugging the girl tightly. Since she’s woken up, Ruby Jane has been extra clingy with her and Rosie didn’t know why. Yes, her short little fiance had always been the clingy type, but not this much.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I mean, it should be me that’s clinging onto you since you were in a coma for 2 weeks, but yet it’s you. It’s like I’ve been gone for a long time.”

 

“I really can’t hide anything from you huh.”

 

“Well I’m a lawyer Love..a lawyer with a minor in psychology.”

 

“Alright my human lie detector, I’ll tell you what I remember.”

 

“So what you’re telling me is that the last thing you remember was you heading to work in 2020 and suddenly you woke up and it’s 2017.”

 

“Yes and there’s this blurry memory..actually nevermind it was probably just a dream.” Ruby Jane smiled.

 

“How are you so sure that it wasn’t all a dream?” Rosie asked.

 

“Because in 10 minutes Irene and Seulgi will barge in, with her letter from the Nobel Prize committee.” Ruby Jane said her photographic memory helped her remember that on March 9th 2017, the girl received a letter from the committee awarding her with the nobel prize in physics.

 

And like clock work, the two really did come in with Irene jumping around like a hyperactive bunny.

 

“Oh my neutrinos Irene that’s great news!” Ruby Jane celebrated, throwing Rosie a I-told-you-so look.

 

“I know you guys just got back, but I thought that we could do a double celebration. My bunny getting the Nobel Prize and Ruby Jane getting discharged from the hospital.” Seulgi, Irene’s wife smiled.

 

“Yeah that’s a great idea! Let’s go.” Rosie and Ruby Jane agreed.

 

~ ~

 

That evening, Ruby Jane was lying in bed, it was past midnight. Rosie was asleep, her dark brown hair partially covering her face. Ruby Jane smiled, gently tucking the loose strands behind her ear.

 

“I really missed you Rosie posie...and I don’t know how this is possible, but I’ll take what I can get.” Ruby Jane smiled trying to get some sleep as well, but her mind kept thinking about the blank space in her memories.

 

“Was it really just a dream?” Ruby Jane thought to herself, before carefully slipping out of bed. She grabbed her work briefcase and took it to her study.

 

“This was what I brought with me when I left for work that day.” Ruby Jane placed the briefcase on her table, carefully she opened the bag. Taking out the contents, Ruby Jane frowned when she found a wrapped gift.

 

“What is this?” She asked herself while unwrapping the gift. Ruby Jane’s eyes went wide once she saw what the gift was. A leather bound book, with photos of her and people she didn’t recognize besides herself and Rosie who was blonde as well as from a photoshoot Ruby Jane doesn’t remember. Ruby Jane has never forgotten anything in her life, so these photos are new to her, but what’s even more surprising is that there is another girl in the photos that looks just like her...Ruby Jane flipped through the whole thing and at the very end was an envelope with her name written on it.

 

Carefully, Ruby Jane opened the letter.

 

Dear Ruby Jane Kim,

 

My twin from another universe. I had this made and snuck it into your briefcase because I was worried that you might do something like leave without saying goodbye and I didn’t want you to go without a parting gift from Earth-1. Honestly, I don’t know if this will make it back with you on your trip, but I still wanted to give you something. Ruby Jane you entered our lives and you changed us all so much. You taught us how to appreciate life even more and to not take anything for granted. You taught us that there really is more out there. I hope that these photos will remind you of your time here with us, because I know that we won’t ever forget you. I know that you’re really smart, so I’m here to dare you Ms. Kim. I dare you to find your way back to us, to come and see your Earth-1 friends again. And if you and I share anything it’s our stubbornness and unwillingness to back down from a challenge. So what’s your answer Ms. Kim?

 

See you soon,

Jennie Kim.

 

P.S. I’ll never give up on Chaeyoung, you were right.

 

After reading the letter Ruby Jane was struck with a massive headache.

 

“Ah.” She clutched her head, memories flooding her brain.

 

‘Kim Jisoo’

 

‘Lalisa Manoban’

 

‘Jennie Kim’

 

‘Park Chaeyoung’

 

“It wasn’t a dream.” Ruby Jane smiled to herself, a lone tear streaming down her face, “Challenge accepted Jennie.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

5 years later and Ruby Jane with Rosie, Irene, and Seulgi were standing in her lab at Yonsei university.

 

“Okay so when I first woke up from my coma, I had these vague memories. I wasn’t sure if they were from a dream or what. But then I found this in my briefcase.” Ruby Jane handed the girls the photobook Jennie had given her, letting the three flip through the pages.

 

“Wait Love are you saying that..”

 

“Wow Rosie didn’t know blonde would suit you.” Seulgi nonchalantly spoke.

 

“YAH!” Both Irene and Ruby Jane glared at the monolid girl.

 

“What it’s true.” Seulgi put her hand up in defeat.

 

“Okay yeah it is.” Ruby Jane agreed with Irene nodding.

 

“Alright okay so anyways, my memories from before the accident..they were different. Rosie you already know, but the thing is I lived life thinking that Rosie had perished in our accidents, somehow in 2020 I walked through a temporal hole into another universe with an Earth that is just like ours. I met mine and Rosie’s parallel self, the blonde is Park Chaeyoung and the girl dressed in vintage Chanel is Jennie Kim. I found a way to get back here, but somehow I returned to 2017 when we had the accident and somehow things changed. I thought that was all a dream until I saw that book as well as this letter Jennie left me.” Ruby Jane then handed the letter to them.

 

“Ruby Jane, are you saying that you have managed to figure out how to get back to that universe?” Irene asked after reading the letter, while Rosie and Seulgi were trying to keep up with all the theories and equations their wives were suddenly spewing.

 

“Irene I know that I can get us there and back without any distortions to any of our memories. It’s like in the Flash when Cisco vibes them from one place to another.” Ruby Jane explained, while Irene frowned, “The Flash??”

 

“It’s a show Lisa and I watched, anyways the point is. I didn’t say goodbye to them and just like Jennie wrote in that letter..I never back down from a challenge.”

 

“So you guys coming or?”

 

“Of course we are.” The three simultaneously smiled and with a push of a button a blue wave like thing opened and the three girls walked through it.

 

Earth-1

 

“It’s RJ’s 5th Earth-1 birthday today.” Lisa was moping at Chaeyoung’s and Jennie’s home while Jisoo was making them lunch.

 

“I know..” Jennie trailed off, her eyes wandering to the photo of the 5 of them from their photoshoot 5 years ago.

“I wonder how she is.” Chaeyoung sat down next to her wife, setting their plates on the table.

 

“I’m sure wherever…” Jisoo began but slowly trailed off when a blue wave like thing suddenly showed up in the living room and out came the girl they were just talking about as well as 3 other strangers, one of which happens to look like the blonde haired woman.

 

“RUBY JANE!” The four girls yelled, engulfing the shorter girl in a tight hug.

 

“We missed you so much.” Lisa was whining, starting to pepper Ruby Jane’s cheeks with kisses.

 

“Okay that’s enough, get away from my wife please.” Rosie huffed, dragging her wife to her side and glaring at the dark haired girl.

 

“Baby parallel universe Chong-ah scares me.” Lisa retreated into Jisoo’s embrace, who laughed at her dorky wife, “Well you idiot you were kissing her wife like no tomorrow. You’re lucky I know how you two are or else you won’t be sleeping in our bedroom ever again.” Jisoo threatened and Lisa awkwardly chuckled.

 

“So I think I won this dare Jennie.” Ruby Jane smiled, holding the letter up.

 

“I knew you would.”

 

“Wow you look just like me.” Rosie and Chaeyoung were staring at each other.

 

“Is this how you felt Ruby Jane? Wifey? When you guys first saw each other.”

 

The two dumpling cheeked girls looked at each other giggled and nodded their heads yes.

 

“Uhm guys?” Seulgi spoke up waving her hand to catch the other’s attention.

 

“Oh yeah. Uhm guys this is Roseanne Park or Rosie.” Ruby Jane began, “I’ll catch you guys up later, but yeah she’s safe...and that’s Kang Seulgi and her wife, my best friend, Irene Kang..or Kang Joohyun, but only Seulgi is allowed to call her Joohyun...and uhm Rosie, Seul, Irene this is Kim Jisoo, Lalisa Manoban, Jennie Kim, and Park Chaeyoung.” Ruby Jane introduced her wife and friends to her Earth-1 friends who were doing way better at handling all this.

 

The 8 girls spent the whole day trading stories from their worlds and quickly got close.

 

“Oh we better go it’s getting late in our universe.”

 

“Awww but why.” Lisa was whining along with Seulgi.

 

“It’s okay here.” Ruby Jane handed the 4 a small device, “If you ever want to visit just press that button. It will lead you to the outside of my house in our universe.”

 

“REALLY?” Lisa was super stoked, twirling the small device in her hand.

 

“Yes Lisa, you can now breach into my universe.” Ruby Jane winked and it got the doe-eyed girl even more excited.

 

“OH MY VIBE! RJ I can breach in the multiverse like Cisco! That’s AHHH!” Lisa was beyond excited at this point.

 

“How about us.” Seulgi gave the girl her puppy dog-eyes.

 

“I have them in my lab, don’t worry.”

 

“Ruby Jane is this real? You did this for us?” Chaeyoung asked, taking the girl’s hand in hers. It’s been years and she never thought she would see her again and Chaeyoung had been holding back.

 

“Yeah of course Chae you guys are my friends and I missed you all and well Jennie dared me right.”

 

“That’s right Hubby. And Ruby Jane and I are both stubborn girls that don’t back down from a challenge.”

 

After saying their goodbyes and figuring out their hangout schedules and who gets to visit who and in what universe, Ruby Jane opened the breach, “See you guys later.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

A/N: Initially, Parallel was suppose to be one long story; however I cut it in 2 because I wanted to fiddle with the ending a bit. I put the note in the beginning for those who prefer the other ending. I hope those of you who read this part, enjoyed it.