Parallel

Chaennie Shots (Volume 1)

Earth-2

 

“Good morning Rosie posie.” Ruby Jane smiled, once the dark haired girl opened the door to her apartment.

 

“Hi Love, good morning.” Roseanne beamed, leaning down to give her girlfriend a chaste kiss.

 

“Are you ready to go?”

 

“No...I hate going to the lectures with Professor Jo...he hates me.” Roseanne pouted and Ruby Jane couldn’t stop herself from pinching her girlfriend’s squishy cheeks.

 

“He doesn’t hate you babe. He just knows you’re the best and is challenging you.”

 

“I know I am, but still it’s annoying.”

 

“Okay okay, c’mon let’s just go. I don’t want to be late to my class too. We’re talking about Neutrinos today and I’m so excited.” Ruby Jane squealed.

 

“Alright alright let’s go my little physicist.” Roseanne chuckled before intertwining their hands together and heading to campus.

 

Roseanne Park and Ruby Jane Kim have been dating for 5 years now. They met in their undergrad days and clicked right away. So it was no surprise when the red ring, with each other’s names in the middle of the band appeared on their pinkies. This symbol is the mark that appears when you find your soulmate. Yep, Roseanne Park and Ruby Jane Kim are soulmates, drawn together by the universe.

 

The two were living their best lives. They both have loving parents, good friends, studying at their dream school, and found their soulmate. A lot of people who knew Roseanne and Ruby Jane were jealous of the two. They literally had the perfect lives and the perfect partner. It doesn’t help that they are both very attractive; however, more people were happy for the two and cheered for them. But of course, there had to be balance..

 

It happened on their 7th anniversary, the two have graduated. Roseanne is now a famous lawyer with her own firm and Ruby Jane a Nobel Prize winning theoretical physicist.

 

“It’s been 7 years, can you believe it?” Roseanne asked while she traced the mark on Ruby Jane’s pinky where her name is inscribed on the girl’s skin. The two had just finished their anniversary dinner and were walking through the university’s quad. It’s their little tradition to walk there each year on their anniversary, because it’s the place where the two first literally bumped into each other.

 

“Crazy isn’t it..how fast time seems to pass.” Ruby Jane smiled.

 

“Yeah, but you know…” Roseanne began suddenly stopping getting down on bended knee, “I want to spend all the time I have with you...Ruby Jane will you marry me?” Roseanne proposed with the most beautiful diamond cut ring.

 

“Yes, of course yes Rosie.” Ruby Jane cried. Roseanne beamed, slipped the ring on her finger, and carried the girl and swung her around, “SHE SAID YES!” Roseanne screamed and Jennie was laughing along.

 

“I love you.” Roseanne smiled, cupping Ruby Jane’s cheek, pulling the girl in for a deep kiss.

 

“I love you too Rosie.” Ruby Jane whispered, while the two had their foreheads leaned on one another.

 

“Let’s go home, we need to celebrate.” Ruby Jane seductively whispered in her fiance’s ear, dragging the girl quickly to their car.

 

Roseanne was driving, it was midnight there weren’t many cars on the road. Then it happened, a truck driver fell asleep on the wheel, running the stop light and crashing into their vehicle.

 

The last thing Ruby Jane saw was the bright lights that were coming at them from Roseanne’s side and how the girl turned to her and smiled...trying to convey to Ruby Jane that everything would be okay

 

~ ~

 

“Ruby Jane Kim go home, it’s late.” Irene, Ruby Jane’s best friend, scolded while pinching the bridge of her nose. It’s been 2 years since the accident and it’s been two years since things have not been okay for the girl.

 

“I’m fine....I’ve almost figured it out.” Ruby Jane replied, not bothering to look at her best friend.

 

“Ruby Jane..” Irene sighed, “You need to move on…” she paused trying to gauge her best friend’s reaction but Ruby Jane didn’t even flinch, “Roseanne…” At the mention of her name, Ruby Jane slammed her hands on the table, stopping Irene mid sentence.

 

“Please Irene...just let me be.” Ruby Jane softly pleaded.

 

“Okay…”Irene walked off, pausing at the door, “But she isn’t coming back anymore you know that..I already lost one friend..I can’t lose another.” With that, Irene walked away leaving Ruby Jane alone in her office.

 

“Rosie…” Ruby Jane trailed off, tracing the soulmate mark on her pinky..the mark still bright red. “I miss you Rosie.” Ruby Jane softly smiled to herself, looking at the picture of her and Roseanne.

 

Earth

 

“You did it again Chong-ah. Another hit on the charts.” Lisa patted Chaeyoung on her shoulder acting like a proud mom.

 

The two were currently inside their shared condo, enjoying a light breakfast before heading to their respective studios.

 

“Yeah….crazy huh.” Chaeyoung smiled at her best friend who shook her head at the sight.

 

“Nope.” Lisa stopped her best friend from going down that path again, “Stop and Rewind. No sad Chaengmunk.”

 

“I’m not sad. I’m happy the song did well on the charts.” Chaeyoung smiled, but Lisa knew it was forced.

 

Park Chaeyoung is a world renowned Composer. She’s written and produced many of today’s greatest hits. And her best friend Lalisa Manoban, or Lisa as she usually goes by, is a famous choreographer. The two usually work together. Chaeyoung writes the songs and Lisa would choreograph it..unless it’s a ballad.

 

“Yeah, I don’t believe you for a second.”

 

“Well then what do you want me to say Lisa?”

 

“What you truly feel, because I can tell it’s killing you.”

 

“Okay fine, I just wrote and produced a song for my ex about her being ‘Solo’ and now it’s sweeping the charts. Funny how the song I wrote about moving on from a past love was given to the one person I..” Chaeyoung paused, chest heaving from all the emotions, “I need to move on from.” She finally found her words again and Lisa looked at her with a sad smile. She knew her best friend wasn’t over Jennie Kim.

 

Jennie Kim. South Korea’s IT girl. Anything she does, wears, or says instantly becomes a trend. She is Blacklabels number one artist. A global superstar and Park Chaeyoung’s ex-girlfriend.

 

The two met when Chaeyoung’s song was picked to be the title track of Jennie’s 2nd full album. They dated for 3 years. The public made aware of this after Dispatch outed them during the new year. It shocked the world, who would have thought Jennie Kim was gay; however, interestingly enough the public supported the two. Which then opened the gates to people just being cool with famous people actually having a relationship without them acting like it’s a ing sin.

 

Now the only thing that riled them up is when these couples break-up. In this case the announcement of “Chaennie’s,” as what their fans called them, break-up. The people were heartbroken over this, the two were a match made in heaven and everyone saw that so it surprised them all when the news broke. The nation’s power couple, South Korea’s equivalent to Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, breaking up.

 

The two have been broken-up for a year. It was Jennie who ended it. The cliché, it’s not you it’s me conversation over dinner. Chaeyoung wanted to fight and hold on, but Chaeyoung knew Jennie had made her mind and once that’s made there’s no changing it. So, Chaeyoung let her go. And the two cut all forms of communication from each other.

 

“Well at least you know that you need to move on and let her go. Why’d you even give the song to her label?” Lisa asked, wanting to know this information for it baffled her when Chaeyoung told her that Blacklabel chose her song.

 

“I didn’t know it was for her, but the label told me she personally chose it. She knew it was mine, I could tell when she didn’t look surprised when she saw me in their studio.”

 

“Well that explains why she didn’t look surprised when she saw me for her new choreography.... So, is it okay if I asked?”

 

“Ask what?” Chaeyoung furrowed her brows.

 

“How was it?” Lisa asked, because since they started the process with Jennie, Lisa has not asked Chaeyoung how it’s like...she didn’t want to distract her. She knows how Chaeyoung can be when working.

 

“Professionally, she was and still by far one of the best artists that I’ve probably ever worked with. She even re-wrote the rap.” Chaeyoung chuckled lightly, for the first time in a while.

 

“Okay..but I meant..how was it being around her again?” Lisa carefully asked.

 

“It was...bearable. At first I couldn’t even hold a conversation with her aside from the song. But after a few weeks it just felt like the old days when we first worked together. So now that it’s over..I don’t know..I guess it feels like I’m back to where I first started...trying to move past her.” Chaeyoung honestly answered and Lisa nodded in understanding.

 

“Take your time Chae...time heals all wounds.”

 

~ ~

 

It’s been 6 months since then and Chaeyoung was doing good. Thinking that she’s finally moved on from the girl. She’s even started dating here and there.

 

“So I was thinking that we can…” Chaeyoung was on the phone with Lisa just leaving their condo’s building when she saw someone she least expected wearing clothes the girl definitely doesn’t usually wear standing 10 feet from her.

 

“Jennie?” Chaeyoung looked at the shorter brunette who was looking at her with an unreadable expression on her face. Her eyes were looking at Chaeyoung with so much sadness but also happiness. Like she couldn’t believe her eyes, because there standing right in front of her is someone she never thought she would ever see again.

 

“Rosie.” Ruby Jane whispered and without a second thought ran towards the blonde engulfing her in a tight embrace. Chaeyoung was shooked, eyes wide. She was totally utterly lost with why Jennie was suddenly hugging her like she hasn’t seen her in ages or why Jennie was calling her Rosie?

 

“Uhm Jen?” Chaeyoung tapped Jennie’s back, but the action seemed to make the girl more emotional or something because soon Chaeyoung felt her shirt getting wet.

 

“Jennie hey what’s the matter?” Chaeyoung asked, while trying to comfort the girl in her arms. Who wasn’t registering anything other than the fact that her Rosie was in her arms once again.

 

“I just..I really missed you Rosie.” That name again, Chaeyoung frowned thinking that Jennie is drunk.

 

“Did you go drinking Jen?” Chaeyoung pulled back, and when Ruby Jane saw her eyes she knew...it wasn’t her Rosie.

 

“I-uhm. You’re not Rosie.” Ruby Jane said in the softest voice, Chaeyoung barely caught her words.

 

“Noo...I’m not Rosie Jen. Seriously did you drink or something? You don’t smell like you’ve had enough to get you drunk. I know you have a high alcohol tolerance.” Chaeyoung frowned, somehow the brunette standing in front of her is different. Her aura and the way she carries herself is different from the resting faced softie that she knows.

 

“I haven’t been drinking and I’m not ‘Jen’.” Ruby Jane put air quotes on the name, and Chaeyoung was very much thinking that she’s finally lost her mind. Because Jennie Kim was an only child and this girl in front of her looks exactly like her ex.

 

“Okay well then why don’t we talk inside.” Chaeyoung motioned behind her, noticing the people starting to stare at the two. Ruby Jane agreed.

 

“So first of all my name is Park Chaeyoung and you are?” Chaeyoung asked after making some chamomile tea for the two of them.

 

“My name is Ruby Jane Kim.”

 

“I see Ruby Jane Kim...uhm can I... oh uhm okay..” Chaeyoung trailed off when Ruby Jane suddenly cupped her face, “God you look just like her. How’s this possible.” Ruby Jane ran her hand through her hair trying to comprehend how this is possible, “I have to call Irene.” Jennie frowned when she noticed that her phone had no signal.

 

“Do you have signal...uhm Chaeyoung?” Ruby Jane asked, and Chaeyoung nodded yes.

 

“Strange..” Ruby Jane was at a lost...trying to remember what happened, “Okay so I was in my office until 4am, I went home...got up at 6am.. Then I left the house and..and..then I somehow ended up here…” Ruby Jane trailed off her genius mind starting to put the pieces together.

 

“Chaeyoung, can I borrow your laptop or something?” Ruby Jane asked with urgency.

 

“Uh yeah sure..here.” Chaeyoung handed the girl her laptop, she was still stunned with having her ex...or not her ex in her living room spewing random thoughts that were not making any sense to the blonde.

 

Meanwhile, Ruby Jane was working away on the laptop and a wide grin spread across her face.

 

“What what is it?” Chaeyoung asked, but when she sat next to the girl all she saw was random computer mumbo jumbo, making the blonde frown deeply, tilting her head left and right. Ruby Jane chuckled at this, “What?” Chaeyoung looked at the girl with a small smile.

 

“Nothing.” Ruby Jane breathed out, focusing her attention back on the screen, her side eyeing the girl next to her, ‘It’s just Rosie did the same thing.’

 

“So tell me..what is it.” Chaeyoung asked once again.

 

“Well it seems that your universe managed to find a temporal hole, and they just so happened to open at my exact location..” Ruby Jane trailed off seeing the confused look on the blonde, “Uhm okay..so to make it simple, I’m from a parallel universe.”

 

Chaeyoung blinked multiple times, shaking her head slightly, “I’m sorry but did you say parallel universe? Like from those sci-fi movies and stuff?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

“Yes, precisely. I know it’s hard to imagine, but the data is all here.” Ruby jane gestured at the screen, and chuckled again at the girl, “It’s okay, you don’t have to understand Chaeyoung; however, I need to get back to my universe.”

 

“Well..how are you going to do that?”

 

“I...I don’t know…I’m my universe’s greatest mind and for once I have no answer.” Ruby Jane was stumped, for the first time in her life she didn’t know how to solve the problem.

 

“I…”

 

“What the? Chong-ah...Jennie?!” Lisa came home suddenly…Ruby Jane and Chaeyoung looked at each other and the two began to explain everything.

 

“Okay so you're telling me that you are not Jennie, but Ruby Jane a theoretical physicist from a parallel universe? And now you’re stuck here. Did I summarize it all?” Lisa asked and the two nodded yes, “I see…” Lisa paused, looking at the two and suddenly with a face splitting grin yelled, “THAT IS SO COOL!”

 

“So you’re telling me that the multiverse theory is real you know from like the Flash?” Lisa began to go off about the multiverse from the DC tv shows she watches on Netflix.

 

“Uh...possibly..” Jennie was both amazed and intrigued at the information that spewed out of Lisa’s mouth.

 

“Woah! So tell me, do I exist in your world? Does Chae?” Lisa began asking all sorts of questions.

 

“Uhm...no.” Ruby Jane half-lied, she doesn’t know if Lisa’s alternate self lived in her universe because she didn’t know anyone that looked like her..but Chaeyoung does and for now Ruby Jane knew that it is better to keep that to herself, very glad that Chaeyoung was too stunned earlier to recall her slight slip-up.

 

“Aww...but you know that you exist here.” Lisa quipped, and Chaeyoung smacked her arm, giving her a look.

 

“I do?” Ruby Jane was somewhat at the information, “but I already ran my name and nothing came up.” Ruby Jane frowned, but then remembered that both Chaeyoung and Lisa called her ‘Jennie.’

 

“It’s because your name here is Jennie Kim and you're not a scientist.”

 

“LISA!” Chaeyoung yelled, and her dark haired best friend looked at her with a “what” look on her face.

 

“Alright, it’s better that my alternate self doesn’t see me. We don’t know how that will affect this universe.” Ruby Jane waved off the idea of seeing herself, having to really think outside the box, “For now, is it okay if I stay here? I don’t have an identity, money, and any other resource other than the two of you.” Ruby Jane asked.

 

“Oh uhm yeah of course. We have a guest room.” Lisa nodded her head, agreeing with Chaeyoung’s statement.

 

“Great.”

 

And with that, the three began to live together. Ruby Jane working and trying to find another temporal hole, Lisa and Chaeyoung trying to keep somewhat of a normalcy in their lives.

 

“It’s been 6 months, you think she’d figure it out soon?” Chaeyoung asked, the two were at the blonde’s studio having met up with SM Entertainment’s girl group.

 

“I don’t know. She hasn’t been outside since she arrived.” Chaeyoung frowned, she noticed how much Ruby Jane spends working. The girl looks skinnier and it worries Chaeyoung.

 

“I know, which is why I was thinking maybe we could, you know, disguise her and let her breathe some fresh air.” Lisa suggested and once she saw the wide grin on Chaeyoung’s face she knew her best friend agreed.

 

“This Saturday?”

 

“Oh yeah, I’ll prepare the outfits.” Lisa mischievously grinned.

 

“Lisa we’re disguising her okay, so try not to go too crazy with her fit.” Chaeyoung reminded her, and the girl raised her hands in a mock surrender.

 

“Yes, yes I promise.”

 

~ ~ ~

 

It was a very sunny Saturday, Ruby Jane was fast asleep on the couch. She’s been sleeping there for months because the guest room is filled with data and papers and theories.

 

“Rise and shine RJ.” Lisa smacked pans together waking the short girl up from her slumber.

 

“What time is it Lisa?” Ruby Jane groaned, sitting up.

 

“9am, it’s breakfast. And after breakfast you are coming with us, no discussions missy.” Chaeyoung popped her head out of the kitchen.

 

“I uhm..okay.” Ruby Jane was confused, but agreed nonetheless she knows that she’s due for a break.

 

The trio’s first stop was, per Lisa’s request, the amusement park.

 

“Here drink this. It’ll help with the headache.” Ruby Jane handed Chaeyoung a bottle of water.

 

“I don’t usually get sick, but I think I ate too much earlier.” Chaeyoung sheepishly smiled.

 

“It’s okay, just take it easy. Okay.” Ruby Jane patted Chaeyoung’s back.

 

“So I think we should do something else now?” Lisa asked, and Chaeyoung was quick to agree.

 

Their next stop was Yonsei university as per Ruby Jane’s request.

 

“Ugh why a school.” Lisa grimaced, and Chaeyoung chuckled at her best friend.

 

“Because I’m a nerd Lisa. I do my best thinking on this campus.” Ruby Jane smiled, her eyes casting down at the Quad.

 

“Hey you okay?” Chaeyoung asked, noticing the somber look on Ruby Jane’s face.

 

“Yeah..I just...” Ruby Jane smiled looking up at the blonde girl, “miss home I guess.”

 

“Don’t worry...I know you’ll figure it out. I have faith in you.” Chaeyoung smiled, holding Ruby Jane’s hand and giving it a comforting squeeze.

 

“Uhm I’m still here guys.” Lisa laughed, seeing the two quickly back away from each other,

 

“C’mon let’s go eat. I’m starving.” Chaeyoung changed the subject and the two agreed right away.

 

~ ~ ~

 

This was not supposed to happen. Chaeyoung was not supposed to fall for Ruby Jane, but well here she is.

 

“Chae are you freaking serious?! You can’t like her.” Lisa was shocked at the information, but then again she kind of saw this coming. Especially, with how close the two have gotten since their first outing a few weeks ago.

 

“Why not?”

 

“I don’t know Chae..maybe because she looks just like Jennie mother freaking Kim your ex?! Oh and the fact that she’s literally from another freaking universe?!”

 

“Yeah, but she’s nothing like Jennie..she’s different..and I know that she’s not from here, but Lisa...maybe I can convince her to stay.”

 

“Chae..I..” Lisa tilted her head up, trying to find the next words to say.

 

“It’s okay Lisa. I know...but when something is important enough”

 

“You do it even if the odds aren’t in your favor, that’s what you were going to say right Chae?” A familiar voice interrupted, the two.

 

“JENNIE?!” The two stood up, shocked at her sudden appearance.

 

“You’ve always loved that Elon Musk quote.” Jennie completely ignored the surprised girls and made her way inside Chaeyoung’s recording studio, making herself at home like always.

 

“Uh Jennie what are you doing here?” Lisa was roused out of her stupor first.

 

“I just wanted to hang out.” The girl shrugged her shoulder nonchalantly.

 

“Why?” Chaeyoung was next.

 

“Just cause.” Jennie replied, further confusing the two girls.

 

“Yeah...uhm well I have a date with Chu later..so Imma just go.” Lisa quickly made her exit, not even bothering to wait for a response.

 

After Lisa left, Chaeyoung kept fiddling with her guitar and Jennie just watched the blonde work. Bringing back memories of the past.

 

“Stop it.” Chaeyoung spoke up.

 

“What? I’m not doing anything.”

 

“Yes you are Jennie, so stop it.”

 

“Okay miss smarty pants, what exactly am I doing then?”

 

“You’re staring.”

 

“I am.” Jennie admitted, shocking the taller girl.

 

“Why?” but the girl didn’t reply.

 

“Jennie..” Chaeyoung trailed off, this was the last thing she needed today.

 

“Chaeyoung look..I…” Jennie took a deep breath before continuing, “I miss you.”

 

At this Chaeyoung snapped her head at the brunette.


“No Jennie...you don’t… you do not get to do this to me. I’m not some toy you toss aside and pick-up anytime you want.”

 

“Chaeyoung I made a mistake okay. I..I never should have ended things.”

 

“Then why did you?” Chaeyoung asked, finally asking the girl.

 

“I..I don’t know, I guess I was scared.”

 

“Of what exactly?”

 

“I was scared of how much I love you. God Chae I love you so much and I just..I don’t know I freaked out because I suddenly just can’t imagine my life without you.”

 

“And you breaking up with me helped how exactly?” Chaeyoung sarcastically asked.

 

“It didn’t.” Jennie admitted, biting her lower lip.

 

“So what exactly do you want then?”

 

“I want you back Chae.” Jennie practically demanded.

 

Meanwhile, at Chaeyoung and Lisa’s place Ruby Jane was hard at work as usual.

 

“Hey RJ can we talk?” Lisa carefully knocked on the girl’s door.

 

“Sure Lis, what’s up?” Ruby Jane smiled at the girl. Gesturing to the bed with papers scattered all over.

 

“So uhm you see. The thing is..” Lisa fidgeted..this isn’t really something that should come out of .

 

“If you’re here to tell me that Chaeyoung has feelings for me...then I already knew that.”: Ruby Jane chuckled at Lisa’s how-did-you-know face.

 

“Did you guys forget who I am? I’m a scientist and well she’s quite obvious.” Ruby Jane chuckled.

 

“How about you?”

 

“Me?”

 

“Yeah, do you also have feelings for her?”

 

“Lisa does your universe have the concept of soulmates?” Jennie asked, rather than answering Lisa’s question.

 

“Like the red string of fate? Only one for you? The one you're meant to be with?” Lisa clarified and Jennie shook her head yes.

 

“Well in stories yeah, but I don’t really believe in soulmates.”

 

“Okay well in my universe soulmates like actual ones are a thing, and this is the mark you get when you find them.” Ruby Jane held her pinky finger up with the red ring.

 

“Roseanne?” Lisa asked, studying the mark.

 

“Yeah..the mark is a red ring on your pinky with your soulmate’s name inscribed in the middle. Rosie...she’s my soulmate.” Ruby Jane smiled tracing the mark on her pinky.

 

“And you have to get back to her right?” Lisa asked, noticing the sadness that took over Ruby Jane’s features.

 

“Yeah..I have to go home to my Rosie.” Ruby Jane smiled softly, tracing the mark on her pinky.

 

Back at the studio, Chaeyoung was staring at Jennie like she grew a second head.

 

“I’m serious Chaeyoung...I want you back.” Jennie stared deeply into Chaeyoung’s eyes, hoping that her sincerity was there...but there was something different in the way Chaeyoung looked at her.

 

“Chaeyoung?”

 

“Jennie...I...we...I don’t think we can go back to that..” Chaeyoung turned away from Jennie, putting her papers in her bag and placing her guitar back on the stand.

 

“Why?” Jennie, stood up holding onto Chaeyoung’s arm, stopping her movements.

 

“Because Jennie….” the taller girl looked at the shorter brunette and instead of Jennie Kim, all Chaeyoung sees is Ruby Jane. The theoretical physicist with her cute little quirks and nerd jokes that Chaeyoung doesn’t understand. The girl who literally appeared out of nowhere..the girl who even though she has the same face as Jennie is someone completely different. Ruby Jane Kim...she’s an enigma in her own ways.

 

“Who is it?” Jennie asked, cupping Chaeyoung’s face, noticing how Chaeyoung was looking at her with a longing look, like she’s looking for her, but yet Jennie is right here.

 

“Jen..please.” Chaeyoung stepped away, pulling Jennie’s hands down from her face.

“Chaeyoung…” Jennie tried to reach for the blonde, but she just shook her head.

 

“I’m sorry.” Chaeyoung walked away, and Jennie didn’t know that her heart could break even more.

 

That night Chaeyoung got home, with a very troubled look on her face.

 

“Hey you’re back early.” Ruby Jane smiled, but that smile turned into a frown when she noticed how troubled she looked, “You good Chaeng?”

 

“It’s just been a long day…” Chaeyoung pouted, suddenly feeling relaxed with Ruby Jane’s presence.

 

“Hmm okay, put your coat back on. Let’s go.” Ruby Jane, rushed Chaeyoung out of the condo.

 

“Where are we going?” Chaeyoung asked, tugging at the shorter girl’s arm.

 

“You need a break Chaeyoung and if I know anything about you. Which from my observations from the past 8 months 8 days is a lot, I can tell that you’re troubled with the way your eyebrows furrow and that cute little pout on your face.” Ruby Jane couldn’t help but pinch the blonde’s chipmunk cheeks, “So just trust me okay.”

 

‘Be still my heart.’ Chaeyoung tried to slow down her heart rate which was racing because of Ruby Jane’s actions.

 

“I trust you.” and with that Ruby Jane led the way.

 

~

 

“Jimjilbang??” Chaeyoung asked, when she realized where Ruby Jane was taking her.

 

“Yeah, it’s a good place to relax. A friend and I..we would always go to one whenever we felt stressed or troubled.”

 

“But you can’t go in there without a disguise.” Chaeyoung told the girl, grabbing her arm stopping her from going inside.

 

“Why not?”

 

“Because you..uhm you..” Chaeyoung was stuttering, trying to find the answer.

 

“Does this have something to do with Jennie Kim? My alternate universe self?” Ruby Jane asked, she hasn’t looked up what her other self is doing and yes although she is curious..especially since even in this universe somehow her other self and Chaeyoung are connected. She didn’t want to be in any more contact with people of this universe.

 

“Look Ruby Jane...in this universe it would be best not to show yourself too much in public.”

 

“Okay how about, I keep this face mask on when we’re not inside the steam room?”

 

“Fine.” Chaeyoung easily relented.

 

The two spent a few hours inside the bath house. Eating and just talking. Really relaxing. Ruby Jane already knew that Chaeyoung was songwriter and producer but the amount of stares the blonde got made her realize that Chaeyoung might have left out just how famous she really is.

 

“Alright who are you really Park Chaeyoung?” Ruby Jane asked while the two were making their way back home from the bath house.

 

“You already know that, I’m from Australia, I work as a songwriter and producer.”

 

“That I did know, but did you realize the amount of stares you were getting in that bathhouse?”

 

“Hmm?” Chaeyoung asked, with a frown, “No.”

 

“Of course, even in this uni..” Ruby Jane stopped herself, almost revealing Rosie’s identity, “I mean Chaeyoung literally everyone was staring at you. I bet the only reason why they didn’t approach you was because I was there too.”

 

“I think you’re exaggerating.”

 

“Oh my neutrinos, you really didn’t notice? How?” Ruby Jane asked.

 

“Because..” Chaeyoung paused, then deciding not to continue what she was about to say

 

“Because what?” Ruby Jane probed, of course the girl’s ever inquisitive and curious self would need an answer.

 

“It’s nothing.”

 

“Oh c’mon Changie tell me please.” Ruby Jane acted cute and Chaeyoung melted at the sight.

 

“Because I was only paying attention to you.” Chaeyoung nonchalantly replied like it was the most normal thing in the world.

 

“I..uhm..” Ruby Jane, pulled her hand away from Chaeyoung’s grip, “I’ll race you back.” The girl playfully smiled, masking her emotions, before running as fast she could back.

 

“Cute.” Chaeyoung cooed before running after the girl, “HEY THAT’S CHEATING!” She yelled, while trying to catch-up. Of course Chaeyoung’s longer strides made it easier for her to catch up to the shorter girl, “Next time cheating means you lose automatically.” Chaeyoung caught Ruby Jane from behind, whispering those words in her ear.

 

“Well I guess it’s a tie.” Ruby Jane regained her composure, pulling away from Chaeyoung.

 

~ ~ ~

 

The following day, Chaeyoung woke up to a slew of messages and calls.

 

“CHONG-AH...WE GOT A PROBLEM!” Lisa barged inside Chaeyoung’s room, with wide eyes.

 

“What is it Lisa?”

 

“This. Look…” Lisa showed Chaeyoung her phone and the blonde groaned.

 

“Does Ruby Jane know?”

 

“No..she’s busy with her work...but Jennie does know..she’s been calling me and you.”

 

“Are you serious? What did Jennie say?”

 

“I don’t know..I’ve been ignoring her calls, but it’s only a mat...op speaking of the devil.” Lisa motioned to the sudden sound of the doorbell ringing, “How much you wanna bet that’s your other dumpling?”

 

“Just ignore it...she’ll go away.” Chaeyoung got up, heading towards her bathroom.

 

“Are you sure Chae?” Lisa asked, the doorbell ringing nonstop.

 

“Yeah..is breakfast ready? I’m hungry.” Chaeyoung replied, after she finished washing up.

 

“Uhm yeah.” Lisa watched her best friend, who was strangely very calm about the whole netizens thinking she and Jennie went out on a date last night.

 

“Awe..some..” Chaeyoung trailed off, seeing Jennie inside their living room comfortingly sitting on their couch.

 

“You guys still haven’t changed your door’s passcode I see.” Jennie deadpanned, getting up phone in hand. “What is this Park Chaeyoung?”

“What?” Chaeyoung feigned ignorance.

 

“Don’t act dumb. Who is this person?”

 

“It’s no one, just a friend.” Chaeyoung waived off, heating the leftovers from breakfast.

 

“Really a friend who…” Jennie’s words died at the tip of her tongue when she saw Ruby Jane coming out of the guest room.

 

“Oh.” Ruby Jane, “uhm Hi.”

 

“You look just like me.” Jennie scrutinized the girl in front of her.

 

“Uhm yeah, about that.” Ruby Jane looked at both Chaeyoung and Lisa, the three exchanging looks and with a nod, they all turned to Jennie and at the same time said, “You may want to sit down for this.”

 

“Alright so you're me from another universe and you’ve been stuck here for the last 8 months. And that was you with Chae last night.”

 

“Yep.”

 

“Well..that is definitely not what we’re going to tell the public.”

 

“Huh?” Ruby Jane looked at Jennie confused.

 

“Wait these two didn’t tell you about me?”

 

“I know that you exist, I just don’t know anything else about you except your name and that you and I have the same face.” Ruby Jane replied.

 

“Okay..well in that case..Chaeyoung can we talk in private.” Jennie asked and Chaeyoung nodded.

 

“I’m telling the label to confirm that it was me with you last night, no discussions.” Jennie stated.

 

“Yeah sure.” Chaeyoung replied, itching to end this conversation.

 

“I just texted manager unnie.”

 

“Cool, then we’re don..”

 

“It’s her isn’t it.” Jennie stopped Chaeyoung from leaving.

 

“Huh?”

 

 

“Your ‘something important’ that is worth going after even if the odds aren’t in your favor.” Jennie reiterated Elon Musk’s quote.

 

“Jennie..please can we not talk about this here.”

 

“No Chaeyoung. Tell me right here, right now. I don’t care if they hear us. Tell me Chaeyoung, is it her.”

 

Chaeyoung knew she had no choice, Jennie would be able to tell if she lied, “Yes..it’s her.”

 

Now, Chaeyoung imagined this to go many ways but Jennie laughing so hard that no sound is coming out was definitely not on the list.

 

“Jennie?”

 

“Oh Chaeyoung this is rich. You won’t take us back, but you want to be with her!” Jennie’s voice starting to raise, “A woman who isn’t even from our universe and who just happens to have the same face as me. Like what?! Does that make sense Chae?”

 

“I know it doesn’t make sense okay. And believe me when I say that I tried, I tried to stop myself, but I just..she just..” Chaeyoung slumped onto her bed, burying her face in her palms.

 

“It’s the cute way she says oh my neutrinos rather than oh my god. It’s the way she juts her lower lip out and scrunches her eyebrows just a tad when she’s become too engrossed in her work, the way she’s still smiling even though she’s a whole universe away from home, it’s just all these little things and I just found myself wanting to be with her.”

 

“Chaeyoung..” Jennie looked at her ex with a defeated look on her face, she didn’t think she’d lost Chaeyoung, she thought she still had a chance, but hearing her talk about Ruby Jane with that loving, faraway look on her face.

 

“I’m sorry Jennie.”

 

“It’s not your fault...it was mine for letting you go in the first place and now this is the consequence I have to live with.” Jennie forced a smile on her face.

 

“Jennie…”

 

“No Chaeyoung...it’s okay...uhm I have to go..I have a schedule.” Jennie avoided Chaeyoung’s stare and ran out of the condo before anyone could stop her.

 

When Jennie got inside of her car, she finally let her emotions out. At first it was one tear, then another, and pretty soon Jennie was sobbing uncontrollably inside her car, but the tapping on her car’s window forced her to get composure. Putting on a face mask, glasses, and a hat. Jennie lowered her window.

 

“Ruby Jane?”

 

“Hi..can we talk.”

 

“I uhm..I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

 

It was already weird having to see someone with the same face as her, and then finding out that the love of her life is in love with someone else who happens to have the same face as her..there’s just so much Jennie can take in one day.

 

“Okay..well just know, it’s not that deep, don’t give up Jennie.” Ruby Jane smiled, before running back inside. Jennie frowned at her words, but ultimately decided that just isn’t the Jennie Kim way..after all what Jennie Kim wants, Jennie Kim gets.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY RJ!” Lisa smiled, holding a cake with Chaeyoung, Jennie, and Jisoo smiling alongside her. Jisoo found out the same day Jennie did when the brunette drove to her best friend’s house and basically sobbed it all. Of course Jisoo called Lisa right away and lectured her girlfriend about keeping this massive secret from her. A few days later Jisoo showed up at the condo and well things happened. The group have become all good friends, with Jennie and Chaeyoung still awkward with each other.

 

“But it isn’t my birthday.” The theoretical physicist frowned, she was in good spirits because she can feel that she’s close to the answer.

 

“It is for us. It’s been exactly 1 year until you crossed over to our universe. So with that Happy 1st Earth-1 birthday Ruby jane.” Chaeyoung beamed, “C’mon blow your candles out.”

 

“Okay first off this is not Earth-1 but since you’re all being so sweet, I’ll accept it.” Ruby Jane smiled, and blew out the candles.

 

“Did you make a wish?” Jennie asked.

 

“Yeah.. I did.”

 

“Alright, c’mon let’s eat the cake and drink.” Jisoo smiled.

 

The night was getting darker and the 4 girls from Earth-1 were all passed out, but Ruby Jane was back in front of the computer running more tests.

 

“Alright Ruby Jane think..what other variable could be missing..” The girl was mumbling to herself, her hand playing with her necklace.

 

“What is this?” Ruby Jane asked, while Rosie clasped the long necklace behind her.

 

“If you’re ever lost or at a crossroad, just remember that I’ll always be here and that you can come to me anytime and anywhere.” Rosie smiled, indicating for Jennie to look at the pendant.

 

“It’s a locket, and I had Joy and Yeri upgrade it a bit.”

 

“What?”

 

“Just press on the top link here and…voila.”

 

Suddenly, a little holographic photo of her and Rosie during their first date was projected in their living room.

 

“Rosie..I..wow.”

 

“I take it that you like it then.”

 

“Oh my neutrinos Rosie I don’t just like it..I absolutely love it.”

 

“Rosie..” Ruby Jane trailed off, “Wait Rosie..could it be..alright if I apply the RoSE algorithm which works by selecting an observation belonging to class k and then generating new examples in its neighborhood determined by some matrix H_k...it’s not really used in my field but it might be the key..and by doing this I can...AHA got it. The next temporal hole will be accessible on the 11th of February...2 weeks from now..” Ruby Jane trailed off, her eyes trailing to the polaroid of the 5 of them when Jennie and Jisoo decided that they were going on a weekend getaway.

 

“I guess it’s time for me to prepare my goodbyes.” Ruby Jane smiled.

 

~ ~ ~

 

All goodbyes are hard, even the small ones. Ruby Jane only has 24 hours left on Earth-1, she’s been trying to keep her leaving a secret, but well Jennie found out.

 

“You’re leaving when.” The girl had asked her a few days ago and when Ruby Jane asked how she knew, Jennie replied with, “You’ve been working less.”

 

“So there’s a day left..is there anything you want to do or something before you go?” Jennie asked, the two were at Chaeyoung and Lisa’s loft while the two were still at work. Jennie had cleared her schedules for the week after finding out that Ruby Jane was leaving.

“I’m going home not dying Jen.” Ruby Jane chuckled.

 

“I know..but we’ll never see each other again..” Jennie trailed off.

 

“What do you mean, just look at a mirror.” Ruby Jane joked and Jennie pouted.

 

“Not funny...I’m..no we, we’re going to miss you.”

 

“I know...I’m going to miss you all too.”

 

“Okay okay that’s enough of this talk. I don’t like it.”

 

“Alright alright, so where is the great Jennie Kim taking her “cousin” out today?” Ruby Jane chuckled. Yes, on Earth-1 Ruby Jane Kim is the cousin of Jennie Kim who netizens went crazy over due to the uncanny resemblance.

 

“I was thinking that we have a photoshoot with the girls. They’re actually already at the studio.”

 

“Well then I guess I can’t say no.”

 

The 5 of the girls had a fun photoshoot. They were comical, serious, and wore all sorts of outfits. They had a blast, but just like all good things, it came to an end.

 

“Tonight was fun right?” Chaeyoung came into Ruby Jane’s room, usually Lisa would be bothering Ruby Jane asking about the whole science behind the temporal holes, but the dark haired girl was staying at Jisoo’s place tonight, so it was just the two of them.

 

“Yeah it was.” Ruby Jane smiled, gesturing for the girl to come inside.

 

“What’s up with you Chae?” Ruby Jane asked.

 

“I know that you know that I have feelings for you. Don’t ask me how I know...But I can feel it...and tell me if I’m wrong but I can feel that you like me too..and this may be asking too much but can you just stay with us..please.” Chaeyoung cupped Ruby Jane’s face, leaning her forehead down on hers.

 

“Chaeyoung..I can’t stay.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because we’re not meant to be.”

 

“What?”

 

“In my universe...soulmates are real. The universe picks who is meant for you and when you meet the one for you and fall in love with them a mark like this appears on your pinky.” Ruby Jane pointed to her left pinky.

 

“Roseanne?” Chaeyoung read the name out loud.

 

“Yeah..her name was Roseanne Park, but I called her Rosie and she is or was my soulmate.”

 

“Was?”

 

“Rosie passed away.”

 

“Oh God Ruby Jane I’m so sorry.”

 

“It’s okay it’s been 3 years..it’s been hard but I’ve slowly been accepting it. Maybe I’m finally moving on.” Ruby Jane smiled.

 

“Wait...when you first saw me..you called me Rosie...I had forgotten about it...but...you did call me Rosie. Ruby Jane, in your world was I Rosie?”

 

The sincerity in Chaeyoung’s tone made it difficult to keep the lie up any longer.

 

“Yes..Chaeyoung..in my world your Rosie, which is another reason why I can’t stay.”

 

“What?”

 

“Every time I see you..I’m reminded of Rosie. My Rosie..and it scares me because with each passing day, I’m starting not to see the similarities you have with her, but you Park Chaeyoung..and I can’t fall for you Chaeyoung. I can’t.” Ruby Jane cried.

 

“Why not? You can Ruby Jane, because I am. I love you. And if you stay here you can love whoever you want, there’s no soulmates here you can love me and you can stay here and and we can be happy.”

 

“Chaeyoung-ah stop...I’m not Jennie. You too, need to stop seeing her in me. I’m not your Jennie Chaeyoung and you are not my Rosie.”

 

“I don’t love Jennie..”

 

“Of course you do, because you look at her the way Rosie used to look at me. Your brain may be telling you one thing, but I know Chae..your heart it belongs with her.”

 

Chaeyoung was speechless...her brain was telling her one thing, but then her heart was screaming for the tiny little idol singer that has been telling her everyday that she won’t give up on them even if she is in love with someone else with the same face.

 

“I know I’m right...so go to her.”

 

“Ruby Jane.”

 

 

“Go Chaeyoung, she’s been waiting for you all this time. Don’t waste your time together.”

 

“I..” With a nod, Chaeyoung ran out.

 

When Chaeyoung left, Ruby Jane let out the tears she'd been holding back.

 

“I can’t fall for you fully, Chaeyoung, but maybe I might have just let you in my heart too…”

 

That evening at exactly midnight on the 11th of February, Ruby Jane stepped out on the street and with one button, she disappeared.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/n: I hope this one makes sense because I have not read through it at all...lol..I just kind of kept writing and like 20 pages later here we are.