Memories Pt. 9

Chaennie Shots (Volume 1)

“You said you have an appointment today?” Seulgi asks as the two make their way back from lunch.

 

“Yeah, it’s different from usual...but I’ll be going right after work.”

 

“But why so late? What kind of appointment is it?” Seulgi frowns.

 

“Don’t worry Seul...it’s nothing.”

 

“Roseanne.”

 

“I know you worry, but it’s fine. I swear you and Joohyun.” Roseanne shakes her head.

 

Looking around to make sure no one hears them, Seulgi pulls Roseanne closer and whispers, “Of course we worry. You literally passed out on us out of nowhere. You’re lucky Hyun and I were walking around the park that day.”

 

“Seulgi shhhh.” Roseanne smiles as Minjeong and Sejeong walk past the two.

 

“And to top it off, you made us promise not to tell anyone about this, even Lisa. What’s really going on Rosie?”

 

“It’s nothing. I have asthma, and I forgot my inhaler that day.” Roseanne lies.

 

“Then why do we have to keep it a secret and what were you doing without it?”

 

“Because it rarely acts up these days, so I don’t want the others to worry especially Lisa..she gets too overprotective of my health. But I promise you that I carry my inhaler everywhere now.”

 

“Really?” Seulgi raises a questioning brow, Roseanne nods.

 

“Show me.”

 

“Uh...it’s in my office.” Roseanne bites her lower lip.

 

“Rosie…”

 

“Don’t worry, I’m fine okay.” Roseanne places a hand on Seulgi’s shoulder, “I have to get back to the office. Jen wants an update on our summer issue.”

 

“But you just gave her..oh..” Seulgi smirked, “Right an “update.”

 

“Shut up Seulbear.”

 

“What did you call me?” Seulgi frowns, it’s been a long time since she’s been called that.

 

“Oh.. sorry, it slipped out.” Roseanne puts a hand to , “Again.” she mutters under her breath.

 

“It’s fine...I just..only one person used to call me that..it’s just nostalgic, to hear it again.” Seulgi smiles.

 

“I’ll try to be mindful not to…”

 

“No no Rosie..actually, you can call me that if you want.”

 

“Okay, hey I really gotta go.” Roseanne smiles at Seulgi before running towards the CEO’s office.

 

Seulgi watched as Roseanne disappeared down the hallway, frowning, “She’s lying…” Seulgi whispers, remembering that day with Joohyun.

 

“Are you and Rosie going to that art gallery again?” Joohyun pouts at Seulgi, who cooed at her girlfriend’s cute reaction.

 

“It’s cause Lisa keeps on bailing on her to hang out with Chu. She’d ask the others...but you know the kids.”

 

“Well there’s Jen and Nay.”

 

“Yeah, but Nay has a date.”

 

“She does?” Joohyun’s eyes sparkle.

 

“With who?”

 

“We don’t know, she won’t tell us.”

 

“I’ll text her about it. But there’s Jen..and we’ve all seen how she is around Rosie.”

 

“Yeah, but she’s also been distancing herself from Rosie.”

 

“It doesn’t look that way to me.”

 

“Yeah cause we’re all usually hanging out in a group. But those two are never alone together. Jennie would often have the meetings with Nay in there. And when Rosie tries to talk to her privately she brushes her off.”

 

“Why would Jen do that?”

 

“I think it’s cause Rosie reminds Jen of her.”

 

“But they’re so different! Like Chaeyoung was like me, trying to keep you guys in order. While Rosie is just as playful as the kids.”

 

“Yeah, but have you noticed the similarities between them?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Like when you first saw her, for a moment you saw Chae right?”

 

“Yeah..”

 

“And also there are times when Rosie….wait is that her.” Suelgi squints, noticing a familiar blonde sitting on the park bench clutching onto her shirt.

 

“I think she needs help. Hyun call 119.” Seulgi says as the two make their way to the blonde who has now passed out.

 

“Rosie..hey wake up. Rosie. Please wake up.” Seulgi begged.

 

And for a moment Roseanne opens her eyes, “Seulgi..” Roseanne smiled, “It’s been a while she whispers, barely conscious.

 

“Rosie?”

 

“How’s..”

 

“Seul they should be here soon.” Joohyun sits on the other side of the blonde, “Hyun, you’re here too.” Roseanne gasps a bit, the pain in her chest coming back.

 

“Rosie….do you need to take any meds? Please tell us.” Joohyun says as she goes through Rosie’s purse.

 

“No..meds…”

 

It didn’t take long for the paramedics to come and take Roseanne to Seoul National University Hospital.

 

“You’re friend is lucky you guys got to her when you did.” The doctor came towards Seulgi and Joohyun who were watching as the blonde laid on the bed, a nurse trying to get an IV in.

 

“Is she going to be okay?”

 

“She will be, but remind her not to strain her heart too much. Not to cause it too much stress.”

 

“Does she have a heart problem?”

 

“I can’t discuss that without her..”

“We know she’s been having issues with her heart, but not the details. Please what’s going on?” Seulgi lies.

 

“The donor’s heart is healthy, but it’s still a heart transplant and she needs to take extra care.”

 

“I see.” Seulgi nods. The doctor excuses himself and Seulgi and Joohun look at each other, before heading towards Rosie.

 

“Rosie? Are you okay?”

 

“Of course, the doctor says it’s nothing. I’m fine. Just gonna finish this drip then I’ll dip.” Roseanne laughs at her pun, eyeing Seulgi and Joohyun carefully, “Why are you two looking at me like that?”

 

“We were scared..” Seulgi admits.

 

“Sorry, if I worried you...and thank you for helping me.”

 

“Of course, we’re your friends Rosie.” Joohyun smiles, placing a hand on Roseanne’s.

 

“Thank you...oh and..can you not tell anyone about this incident, especially Lisa. Wait, you didn’t contact her right?”

 

“No..we were too focused on you, we haven’t contacted anyone.”

 

“Okay..just please promise me you won’t.”

 

“Okay we promise, right Hyun?” Seulgi looks at Joohyun who she knows would be against hiding something like this, but they also found something that Roseanne hasn’t shared with them.

 

“We promise.”

 

“Lisa? Can we meet, I’ll text you the place.” Seulgi calls Lisa who agrees.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“Don’t worry about it Lili have fun with Seulgi tonight.”

 

“I can’t help it…I’m your best friend Rosie.”

 

“I’ll be fine. I’ll take a cab home, so you can have fun.”

 

“Alright, just text me when you get back okay?”

 

“I will now go before Seulgi waits too long.”

 

Roseanne watched as Lisa’s car drove off, before heading inside the Japanese restaurant, Kojima.

 

“Reservation under Park, Roseanne.” Roseanne smiles and soon she’s led to a private-room.

 

“Sorry am I late?” Roseanne asks,after the wooden sliding door was shut behind her.

 

“Actually you’re right on time.” Suzy chuckles a bit watching the blonde settle across from her, “So, are you ready now?” Suzy asks, alluding to what Roseanne told her in their first meeting 3 months ago.

 

“No, I’m not...but I have too many questions and I can’t seem to find an answer.”

 

“Regarding what exactly?” Suzy was too composed and it made Roseanne feel uneasy. She felt like the doctor knew exactly what she wanted to know without even asking.

 

“About you.” Roseanne was straight forward. She did go to law school.

 

“Me. Okay, what do you want to know?”

 

“Who are you really? And why do you seem like you know.”

 

“Know what?”

 

“Who it belongs to.”

 

“You need to be a little more specific Roseanne.”

 

“You’re really not going to make this any easier for me are you.”

 

“Just be straightforward with me. Is it that hard?”

 

“Yes, because no one that wasn’t there when it happened knows about it.”

 

“So it is about your heart.” Suzy nods.

 

“You did know.”

 

“Well it wasn’t hard for me to figure out when you told me why you went to see me that day.”

 

“I guess, but you also know who the donor is.”

 

“I…” Roseanne saw Suzy visibly gulp.

 

“We barely even knew each other.” Roseanne begins to speak after sitting there in silence. Suzy opens her eyes, “But for some reason I felt drawn to her. Not in a romantic way, but it felt like I knew her. So I asked her if we’ve met, but she says we haven’t….now that I think about it...it feels like she was lying to me.” Roseanne frowns.

 

“Chaeyoung had a secret.” Suzy finally speaks, confirming Roseanne’s earlier suspicions, “She had a lot of people around her, but she never fully shared everything with them. I don’t think her fiancé knew of it too. Not that she didn’t trust them, it’s quite the opposite. Chaeyoung would do anything for her family and for her friends.”

 

“So are you her friend then?”

 

“I was her psychiatrist and therapist turned friend.”

 

“Turned friend?” Roseanne raised a brow at this.

 

“Just friend, nothing more. But since she confided in me as a therapist, she told me about her secret.”

 

“Which is??”

 

“That’s not something for me to tell you.”

 

“But her secret is connected to me somehow..that’s why she felt familiar.”

 

“That morning...before the accident, she had a dream.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“And the smile on her face when she told me about it that morning...it was like she was reliving that dream.”

 

“You said that morning...were you…”

 

“Sometimes patients can have an unconscious premonition of their own deaths. Usually these are in the form of a dream or a sudden urge to do something like rekindle a soured relationship. When they wake up from their dream or fulfill that urge, there’s this air of peace surrounding them. That morning Chaeyoung had that air around her. Of course, I can only confidently say that now, because...well you know.”

 

“So you were with her in Melbourne when it happened?”

 

“No...I wasn’t. She facetime called me.”

 

The air went silent after that, Suzy waiting for the blonde to speak up, while Roseanne was trying to piece everything together.

 

“Do you really believe it? What you told me that first time we met?”

 

“I don’t know. A part of me wants to believe it, but the professional side of me wants you to not burden yourself with these thoughts.”

 

“Is Chaeyoung left handed?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Does she like avocados?”

 

“She loves them, craves for them all the time.”

 

“Do you know what her art style is like?”

 

“No, but I would know it’s her painting the minute I see it.” Suzy furrowed her brows, “Why are you asking me all this?”

 

“Because sometimes I find myself suddenly using my left hand even though I’m a righty, I’ve been craving avocados and I detested that fruit, and my art style has been switching.” Roseanne grabs two photos from her purse, “The one of the cafe is my usual art style...and..”

 

“This is Chaeyoung’s.” Suzy grabs the photo of Roseanne’s latest piece, the painting of a realistic human eye with that woman’s silhouette in the pupil. She realized it was Chaeyoung’s right away...the signature on the right hand side was a dead giveaway.

 

“Yeah…”

 

“How did you feel while you painted this?”

 

“Like you mentioned before, it felt like I was dreaming...when my art comes out looking like that I always feel disconnected from the piece. I know I painted it because I feel my body moving, but unconsciously it’s like I’m watching one of those first person point of view movies. It always centers around this mysterious woman.” Roseanne points to the silhouette, “She’s in all my paintings, but I never see her face. Like for this one, I remember waking up next to this woman. I couldn’t see her face but I knew she was happy, that I was also happy. The last thing I remember was seeing brown eyes, they were feline shaped and they dilated when they looked at me...and all of a sudden Lisa was waking me up.”

 

“It might be one of Chaeyoung’s memories...like what I found in those case studies you read about...but it might not. It could just be your subconscious creating this as a coping mechanism.

 

“Coping for what?”

 

“For feeling like it was you that should have died that day and not her.”

 

“I...that’s not true.” Roseanne lowers her gaze from Suzy’s.

 

“I’ll pretend that I believe you, because I totally didn’t psychoanalyze you this entire time.” Suzy replied sarcastically.

 

“It’s really not like that...I’ve accepted it..and I’m learning to live for myself because of it..I just want to know her more. Especially now that I’m here where she used to be. And I don’t know maybe one day I can tell her family, friends, fiancé that I have her heart...that I’ll take good care of it.”

 

Suzy smiled, maybe she is wrong about Roseanne, “Okay...well I’ll help you then.”

 

“Thanks..”

 

“White orchids huh..” Suzy’s attention went back to the painting..

 

“What?”

 

“White orchids mean I miss you.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

After that initial encounter with Suzy, things for Roseanne slowly began to change...for the better. Actually, everyone seems to be doing better, even Jennie, who for some reason slowly opened herself up to her friends again and to Roseanne. The two became closer than ever. So close that Lisa tends to whine about Roseanne always choosing Jennie over her.

 

“Rosie posie c’mon!” Jennie entered Roseanne’s office all smiles.

 

“I’m almost done Jenjen.” Roseanne smiles, looking at the gummy smiling girl.

 

“But we’re about to leave, the van’s already here.”

 

“Jennie...we leave in 2 hours.” Roseanne deadpans chuckling at the adorable CEO.

 

“Yes, but we’re riding with the others..which means that brat is gonna try and take you away.”

 

“Brat?” Roseanne raises a brow at this.

 

“Lisa.”

 

“I sat next to you last time we went for a road trip.”

 

“Yes, but it’s first come first serve.”

 

“I’m not a toy you know.”

 

“No you’re my Rosie..but seriously though...let’s go grab your things from the car and move them to the van. I’m kinda hungry too.” The brunette pouts and gives Roseanne the puppy dog eyes she knows the blonde can’t resist.

 

“Okay, let’s go. But I’ll just sit in between you guys this time so that I don’t have her clinging to me all night after.”

 

“Clinging?” Jennie raises a brow.

 

“She’s practically a human koala.”

 

“Why can’t her and Chu just make it official already? I mean they practically act like they’re a couple.” Jennie huffed.

 

“My best friend is scared Chu doesn’t like her that way and yours is afraid mine will hurt her even though I know Lisa has been crushing on her since they met...”

 

“Crushing? Really? I mean no offense Rosie, but Lisa did date like 6 models already..and you guys just moved here in February....”

 

“That’s not bad.”

 

“Roseanne..it’s only July. She’s dated 6 different people in the span of 5 months. That’s practically 1 girl a month.”

 

“Yes, but they were dates, nothing exclusive or serious.”

 

“Wait…” Jennie suddenly stopped in her tracks, glaring as she asked, “How many dates have you gone on Ms. Park?”

 

“Me?” Roseanne points a finger at herself, and pretends to think, “Let’s see..”

 

“Yo Rosie my fave!” Seojun’s voice echos in the hallway, hooking an arm over Jennie and Roseanne's shoulders.

 

“What do you need Seojun?” Jennie asks, removing the guy’s arm from her shoulder, glaring at him.

 

“Uh...seems like I interrupted something..just uh..I’ll just email you Rosie. Anyways, see you guys at the van later!” Seojun quickly runs away, while Roseanne laughs to herself.

 

“So..how many?” Jennie asks, arms folded.

 

“None.”

 

“Really?” Jennie’s gummy smile makes another appearance.

 

“Yes really Ms. Kim.”

“Hmm.. I don’t believe you. I mean have you seen yourself? There’s no way no one has asked you out or that you haven’t asked anyone out.”

 

“It’s true. I..” Roseanne stops herself..it’s still too soon to tell Jennie how she feels about her.

 

“You’ve??”

 

“I’ve just been busy with work and adjusting to life here.”

 

“You swear?”

 

“I promise you I have gone on 0 dates. Now, let’s get you the Kimchi fried rice and dumplings I know your craving.”

 

“Yay!” Jennie cheers happily like a child.

 

While the two were in their own world, multiple pairs of eyes watched amused.

 

“I still can’t believe old Jennie is back.” Yeri speaks up.

 

“She never really left...I’d say it’s more like she’s finally accepted things and is really moving on.” Nayeon corrects.

 

“Has she though..” Seulgi frowns.

 

“What do you mean Seul?” Jackson asks.

 

“It’s nothing….let’s just finish the day so we can enjoy the weekend. The summer issue always takes a lot of effort.” Seulgi puts a smile on her face. While the others just shrug it off.

 

~ ~ ~

 

The travel time to Naksan beach from Seoul is about three to four hours, and since the gang left right after the working day, everyone was knocked out..well almost everyone.

 

“Rosie.” Seulgi whispers turning her head towards the blonde who had Jennie clinging to her on one side. Lisa didn’t whine about sitting arrangements, because she was too preoccupied glaring at the dog Jisoo brought with her, who in Lisa’s text to Roseanne, “has been stealing Chu’s attention.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Can we talk.”

 

“About?”

 

“Later, after we eat.”

 

“Sure Seul.” Roseanne agreed, sensing that whatever Seulgi wanted to talk about is serious.

 

In a blink of an eye, the gang made it to the Kim family’s beach house and thankfully Jennie alerted the staff she was coming with friends so they were able to have food on the table by the time they arrived.

 

“I’m already so sleepy, I don’t know if I can eat right now.” Lisa whines, resting her head on Roseanne’s shoulder as they make their way down after settling their things.

 

“You can just sleep if you want Lili. I can set some aside for you, in case you wake up.” Roseanne pats her best friend’s head affectionately who just nods, before going back into their shared room. The beach house has enough rooms for everyone, but Lisa insisted, much to Jennie’s annoyance.

 

When Roseanne reached the dining table, everyone was already eating.

 

“Sorry Rosie, we were hungry... You and..hey where’s Lisa?” Jackson asked looking for the other troublemaker.

 

“Knocked out in bed. I’ll just make sure there’s food here in case she wakes up tonight.” Roseanne replies, taking the empty spot next to Jennie.

 

The dinner was mostly quiet, small talk here and there. Everyone was just exhausted and wanted to go to bed.

 

“Okay i’m stuffed. Let’s get this all cleaned up.” Joohyun got up, taking the plates to the sink.

 

“Can’t we just leave them there Hyun? It’s already late and I’m sleepy.” Yeri whines.

 

“It’ll be quick Yerim. C’mon.” Yongsun pats the girl’s playfully before grabbing more dishes.

 

The cleanup didn’t take that long, since everyone was doing something.

 

“Rosie.” Seulgi calls out as the group separates into their own rooms.

 

“I’ll meet you there, let me just grab a sweater.”

 

“Okay.” Seulgi nods, heading down.

 

~ ~

 

“So what’s up?” Roseanne asks, taking a seat next to Seulgi on the beach.

 

“It’s almost been 8 years.” Seulgi begins, glancing at the blonde next to her, before focusing her eyes on the water, “My best friend...she passed away almost 8 years ago..it was a traffic accident.”

 

“Seulgi..I’m..I’m sorry.” Roseanne places a hand on Seulgi’s shoulder patting it lightly.

 

“It’s okay...it took a while, but I’ve moved on.”

 

“That’s good..I’m sure she would like that.”

 

“Yeah...she would.”

 

“Is this what all you wanted to tell me?” Roseanne asks after a few moments of them just sitting there listening to the waves crashing on the shore.

 

“Earlier this year...I found out that she was an organ donor.” Seulgi ignores Roseanne’s question, “I never wanted to learn the details of the accident. It was already painful enough that I couldn’t say my goodbye.”

 

“Seulgi..” Roseanne frowns, she does not like where Seulgi is taking this conversation.

 

“You don’t have asthma Rosie...You had a heart transplant almost 8 years ago after a traffic accident in Australia.”

 

“How do you know that?”

 

“When Hyun and I took you to the hospital that day...you were coherent. Do you not remember that?”

 

Roseanne shakes her head no.

 

“You were and you looked at me and Hyun like you haven't seen us in years. You were also talking, saying how it’s been a while. We thought you were just delusional from whatever was going on. But we talked to the doctor and I sorta lied.. I told him we knew about your heart condition but no details. He told us that you had a heart transplant. At the time I didn’t think too much about all these things..but a few months ago you called me Seulbear and when we first met I’ve felt this familiar vibe from you. Like we’ve already met. So I began to watch everything you do..and I noticed there are moments where it’s like you’re here but you're not here. At first I thought I was crazy...but after doing some research online I thought..could it be? So I talked to Lisa. I told her I knew about the transplant and I asked her for the name of your donor. Of course she wouldn’t tell me, but I told her a name.”

 

“Seulgi…” Roseanne began to tear up with Seulgi.

 

“Park Chaeyoung.” A husky voice, not Seulgi’s, spoke up, “That’s your donor right?”

 

“Jisoo…” both Roseanne and Seulgi turned to the smaller brunette who was looking at Roseanne like she hasn’t seen her in a decade.

 

“I heard you tell them that day Seul about Chae being a donor. Then I noticed your scar Rosie...that one time Lisa and I barged into your condo..you had a v neck on..I didn’t think about it much at first. But then I saw you and Lisa visit her a few weeks ago and I remember Lisa reading a book about heart transplants..and sorta figure it out.”

 

“Chu…” Roseanne stood up, followed by Seulgi. The three crying together.

 

“Is it okay for me to hug you?” Jisoo asks and Roseanne nods.

 

“It’s okay Jisoo...it’s okay.” Roseanne comforts the crying girl, her head resting right above Roseanne’s heart.

 

Jisoo clutches onto Roseanne’s shirt.

 

“Rosie....” Seulgi said in between sobs, “Uh..can I..” Seulgi couldn’t get the words out. A part of her wanted it to not be Roseanne, but now that’s it out in the open like this...now that she has the answers to all her questions. Now that she knows why Roseanne always felt so familiar, why they all seemed to feel peaceful around her...their hearts recognized Chaeyoung’s heart that’s beating in Roseanne.

 

And when Seulgi goes to hug the blonde and hears her heart beat loudly against her chest, she cries even louder.

 

“Chaeyoung-ah….”

 

When the cries died down to light hiccups, with both Seulgi and Jisoo leaning on Roseanne’s shoulders from either side did the blonde finally ask, “Who else knows?”

 

“The others don’t..but I’ve discussed it with Hyun…”

 

“I see.”

 

“I’m sorry Rosie..I..”

 

“It’s fine Seul..I just uhm..can we keep this just between us then? I’ll tell them when I’m ready.”

 

“Yeah..of course..” Seulgi and Jisoo nod.

 

“One more thing.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Who was Chaeyoung’s fiancé”

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/n: Part 9 is here and it’s a bit longer than the rest because I want to move this story to the next part..because it’s almost been 10 parts and I just want to rip the band-aid already lol.

 

Also as you can tell Suzy’s role was chosen to be as “Friend.” Let’s find out later if this is the best decision.

 

As for Gone...I know you guys want a part two...and I’m considering it..but don’t have too much hope in a happy ending because if I do write it...it’ll most likely be a buildup of what led to the breakup and the time after...but again I don’t know..I didn’t have a built storyline for this..just kinda wrote it because the idea kept swirling in my mind. And I probably won’t write it until after I finish memories (gives me time to mull on the storyline a bit). Also, since I’ll update it on twitter as well, expect a tiney like miniscule amount of socmed au characteristics. It will mostly be written because I’ve never made a socmed AU...so yeah.


 

Thanks for reading and let me know what you think.

 

Ciao