Memories Pt. 8

Chaennie Shots (Volume 1)

“Lisa? What are you doing here?” I asked, seeing my best friend sitting in the middle of my art room.

 

“How’d you know I was in here?”

 

“I always close this door. It was wide open.” I enter, sitting on the floor with her.

 

“Is this what you painted last night?” She asks motioning to my easel.

 

“Yeah…” We both take in the painting. It’s not anything fancy..it’s just a human eye. But within the pupils is that woman’s silhouette again.

 

“It’s different again.. from your usual..” She begins, “Who were you looking at? Who’s this girl?” Lisa asked, pointing to the silhouette.

 

“I don’t know..” I shake my head, “I honestly don’t even remember painting this.”

 

Lisa gives me a knowing look after my confession, “After our conversation last night, I returned to my research..this morning I passed by the bookshop and grabbed this book.”

 

Heart’s Memory -Diary of a heart transplant-” I read the title out loud.

 

“It’s a collection of medical cases...everyone in there has had a heart transplant.”

 

“Okay???” I was confused.

 

“And in all the cases the patients all acquired some characteristic of the donor. The person who conducted the research is here in Seoul.”

 

“Dr. Bae Suzy? English name?”

 

“Yeah she’s actually from New Zealand, moved to Korea for Uni.”

 

“I see….why are you telling me this?”

 

“Because I think you’re also remembering her memories.”

 

“Sorry?”

 

“Have you ever looked into Park Chaeyoung?”

 

“No why?”

 

“She’s an artist...and her signature is always in the form of her first initial and a flower.” Lisa points to the bottom right hand corner of the most recent painting..and there it was, a C with a white orchid next to it.

“You don’t really…”

 

“Just go see her...I already set up an appointment for this Saturday.”

 

“But Lili…”

 

“I’ll be there with you. Promise.”

 

“Okay.” I agreed. I’m also curious if this is true.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“Knock knock.” Yeri smiles.

 

“Hey Yeri, what’s up?” I ask, as she stepped inside.

 

“Nothing, we’re just wondering if you’re down to hangout with us at Seul’s place later it’s the weekend tomorrow and you still don’t know a lot of people here so…Ah and Jen won’t be there, she usually never shows.”

 

“Oh uhm..”

 

“If you don’t want to that’s totally okay. I mean you’re still technically our boss.”

 

“No no, it’s not that..it’s just I didn’t want to leave my best friend alone. Like you said we’re new here.”

 

“Ah! Then invite her along, the more the merrier.”

 

“Sure, just text me the address.” I smiled and Yeri nodded.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“So these are your direct reports, but they’re also Jennie’s close friends...and Jennie is your CEO did I get that right?” Lisa asked.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I don’t get it, if they’re close with Jennie, why don’t they have higher roles in the company?”

 

“It’s not that kind of company. They all obviously had to go through the hiring process. But even though I’m technically their “boss” we’re all on the same level, I just get the final say.”

 

“That’s confusing.”

 

“In a way, now can we please get down, we’re late and you know I hate tardiness.”

 

“Right, okay let’s go.” Lisa nods and just when I was about to open my door she grabs my arm, “Wait.”

 

“What?”

 

“I’m nervous.”

 

“Of???” I questioned. Lisa and I have always been extroverted so her being “nervous” is very new to me.

 

“What if Chu’s there.”

 

“OMG you do like her!” I pointed an accusatory finger.

 

“Shut up! It’s not like that..it’s just..” She sighs, “Never mind. I can’t tell you. It’s not my story. C’mon let’s just go.” Lisa got out of the car before I can get a word out.

 

Seulgi’s condo was located right by the Han river, on the 20th floor.

 

“Here we are unit 2094.” I press the call button.

 

“Rosie!” Jackson’s face popped up on the screen, “Yah! Seojun Rosie’s here!” He yells before telling me to hang tight.

 

When Lisa and I stepped inside, a weird sense of déjà vu over came me.

 

“Wow this place is awesome Seulbear! And this view is just a 10/10. Make sure you leave this corner empty. It’s officially our ramen and fried dumpling spot by the river without being by the river.”

 

“God stop calling me that! This is why both Hyun and..”

 

“Rosie.” I was snapped out of my trance by Seulgi, “Are you okay?”

 

“Yeah, this place is amazing Seulgi!” I beamed walking over to the wall to wall window that overlooked the river and the city perfectly, “Wow this is the perfect spot to eat ramen and fried dumplings by the river without being by the river.” I tease, and Seulgi had this look on her face.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Nothing…” She shakes her head.

 

“Did I offend you?” I ask...Seulgi’s eyes looked sad and I feel like I might have said something wrong.

 

“No no...it’s just a close friend of mine said the exact same thing when I first showed her this place.”

 

“Really?” I chuckle, “Well great minds think alike.” I smile.

 

“Yeah I guess they do.” Seulgi laughs, excusing herself to the kitchen to grab the snacks and drinks.

 

“What was that?” Lisa whispers, pulling me off to the side.

 

“I just..feel like I’ve been here before.”

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing, anyways, let me introduce you to everyone.”

 

“No need, while you two were talking they practically cornered me.” Lisa laughs, “They’re all cool. I like them.”

 

“Good, they seem like a good group.”

 

“Okay you two! Get over here.” Nayeon calls us over, “It’s dinner time.”

 

“But we still have…” Seulgi was interrupted by the ringing of the doorbell.

“Ah speak of the devils.”

 

“Alright no one eat without us!” A voice echoes and soon 4 people enter the dining room with Seulgi trailing behind them.

 

“Lisa?” Jisoo acknowledges Lisa first while the three others stared at me briefly.

 

“Hey Chu, fancy meeting you here.” Lisa laughs awkwardly. Doesn’t like her my , my best friend is so obvious. Send help.

 

“Wait, you two know each other?” The others were now eyeing Jisoo and Lisa.

 

“We’ve worked on a few shoots together.” Jisoo answers.

 

“Yeah...but you don’t let any of the other photographers call you Chu…” Seojun points out.

 

“Uhm that’s because she’s fo..”

 

“Even the ones from out of the country.” Jackson adds.

 

And we all eyed each other, a teasing smirk on our faces.

 

“You like her don’t you.” Yeri teases, while Lisa’s eyes widened.

 

“Alright stop teasing them.” I speak up.

 

“I knew I can count on you Rosie.” Jisoo smiles.

 

“Of course Jisoo.” I playfully smiled before continuing, “And for the record…” Everyone turns to look at me, and Lisa’s eyes are yelling at me to shut up but I don’t, “You and Lili would make a great couple...and she’s very much interested.”

 

“Roseanne Park!” The two yelled at me while the others laughed.

 

“I can’t believe we have another childish person here. I thought we just had you three children.” Nayeon shakes her head after Yeri, Jackson, and Seojun all high fived me.

 

After the laughing died down and a hard smack on the shoulder from Lisa. I finally learned who the three other girls are: Joohyun, Seulgi’s girlfriend. Moonbyul and Yongsun, who are dating.

 

“Alright guys so now that our gracious host has fully stuffed your asses, it’s time for shots and games.”

“I have an appointment tomorrow so I can’t be too drunk.” I voiced out.

 

“Then don’t lose Rosie.” Yeri winks at me.

 

“Game on.”

 

~

 

“UNO!” I yell out, giving Lisa a high five, watching as the others take another shot.

 

We’ve gone from playing Mario Kart, to Among us, and to Twister. Uno is our last game of the night. But I don’t think these guys are going to make it.

 

“You gotta go easy on us Rosie. Damn, we’re already way passed being buzzed and you have yet to take a shot.” Moonbyul complains.

 

“Seriously, it’s gotten to the point where Hyunnie is actually turning red. Like wait let me get a photo of this.” Nayeone chuckles, taking a group selfie.

 

The game continued but it only went on for another 10 minutes before the alcohol finally caught up to them.

 

Seulgi, Yeri, Nayeon and the boys were passed out, having lost the games more than anyone else.

 

Lisa was taking care of Jisoo who fell asleep on her shoulder.

 

Joohyun, Moonbyul, and Yongsun were drunk but still very coherent.

 

“Let me go put those guys in a more comfortable position.” I offered.

 

“It’s fine Rosie.” Joohyun stopped me, “Moonbyul and Yongsun got it.” She motioned towards the couple. One of whom was dragging the boys by their legs to get them to lay down properly, before throwing a blanket over them. While the other was a little gentler with Yeri and Nayeon. I watched amused at the couples’ antics, hoping that no one gets any injuries, when Joohyun began to get up, gently placing a pillow under Seulgi’s head, which was resting on her lap, before getting up onto her feet and starting to pick up some of the trash that we left laying around.

 

“Let me help you.” I offered grabbing some of the empty cans of beer and bottles of soju.

 

“You don’t have to. I’m usually the one that helps that bear clean up after inviting everyone here.” Joohyun laughs.

 

“It’s fine I don’t mind helping that Seulbear out.” The nickname slipped from lips unconsciously which caused Joohyun to drop the bottle she was holding.

 

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry are you okay?” She asks, inspecting my body for any cuts.

 

“I’m fine. Are you?”

 

“Hey you two okay over there?” Moonbyul and Yongsun head over.

 

“Yeah..I just..You call her Seulbear?” Joohyun asks, brows furrowed, exchanging quick glances with Moonbyul and Yongsun.

 

“Huh? Oh well you called her bear and I just..I’m sorry I didn’t mean to offen....”

 

“No no…” Joohyun interrupts me, “It’s just..” she trails off, her gaze landing on her girlfriend, “No one has called her that in a long time.”

 

“Ah I see..” I nod my head, an awkward silence draping over us as we finished the cleaning.

 

“The others were right.” Moonbyul came up to me while Joohyun and Yongsun were grabbing extra blankets for the others.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You feel familiar and you make me feel at ease.”

 

“Uhmmm..:”

 

“It’s a good thing...it’s something that we haven’t felt in a while..so thank you.”

 

I was about to ask Moonbyul what she meant by that but Lisa and Jisoo came over. Seems like she woke up earlier from the commotion.

 

“Go ahead Rosie...there’s not much left here. You said you have an appointment tomorrow right?” Moonbyul smiles at me.

 

“Are you..”

 

“It’s fine. This isn’t our first rodeo. Chu you heading home?”

 

“Yeah, Hyun picked me up. Assuming I was going to crash here with the others, but since I’m up and a little more sober I’ll just head home with Lisa and Rosie.”

 

“Okay c’mon I’ll walk you guys out since our host is passed out.” Moonbyul laughs, leading us to the door. And I lost my chance to ask her what she meant.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

“Ms. Park, Roseanne .” My name is called out and I get up to follow the receptionist at Suzy Bae’s clinic. Lisa following behind me

 

“I’ll wait out here by the door okay?” Lisa gives me an encouraging smile before I enter the room, closing the door behind me.

 

“Hello I’m…” Suzy’s voice dies in as she looks at me from her desk. She whispers something to herself that I don’t catch, “I’m sorry.” She shakes her head lightly before plastering a smile on her face, “I’m Dr. Bae Suzy, but you can just call me Suzy.” Suzy gets up from her desk, motioning the couch in the center of her office.

 

I take a seat opposite of her and introduce myself, “I’m Roseanne Park, but please call me Rosie, it’s nice to meet you Suzy.”

 

“Yeah it..it is.” Suzy had a familiar vibe to her.

 

“I’m sorry..but have we met before?” I ask, and she raises a brow at me.

 

“We have not.”

 

“I see..I’m sorry you just seem familiar.”

 

“Your appointment notes don’t have any specific information given. So I’m not quite sure why you’re here to see me.”

 

“I read your book. And I want to know… is it true..what happened to these transplant patients?”

 

“As you read, the female patient who began to eat broccoli, which she once detested. The male patient who had a sense of déjà vu after entering a specific church even though he wasn’t from that city. And often, when these things occur, the patient all felt as if they were dreaming. There’s really no way to scientifically prove it, but studying these cases makes me believe that yes it is possible for a patient who received a heart transplant to develop certain memories and actions of the donor.

 

“But...why?”

 

“Well like I said, there’s no scientific reasoning for it. After all, scientifically we know the heart is just a muscle with chambers designed to pump blood throughout our body. But, historically, the heart has always been thought of as the home of the soul and of memory and emotions.”

 

“So does this mean..” I place a hand over my beating heart. Things beginning to make sense.

 

“You’ve had these feelings before haven’t you.”

I stayed quiet, “Thank you for your time Suzy.” I got up and walked towards the door.

 

“Roseanne.” Suzy called out to me just as I touched the handle, “Maybe she still lives inside you.”

 

“We’ll talk again, when I’m ready.” I glanced back before leaving her office.

 

My mind on one thought: Suzy knows Chaeyoung.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

A/n: Did anyone see my tiny note in part 7? I was going to double update..but this wasn’t quite done yet. So I posted part 7 with a small little note in like 5 font lmao.

 

Anyways, here’s part 8 as well as the introduction of our new character that’s linked to the poll on twitter. So choose Suzy’s role wisely😬😬😬

 

Let me know what you think.

 

See you tomorrow (hopefully).