Together

Chaennie Shots (Volume 1)

“Rosie..do you think even after we graduate we’ll always be friends?”

 

“What a silly question Jen, of course we’ll always be friends..best friends forever” Chaeyoung smiled, tugging the shorter girl into her arms, “I won’t leave you..promise.” Chaeyoung whispered into Jennie’s ear, feeling the girl relax in her arms as she said those words.

 

Chaeyoung shook her head trying to get rid of the memory...trying to forget the dark-haired, feline eyed, gummy smiling Jennie Kim.

 

“It’s been 5 years..she turned her back on you first. You owe her nothing.” Chaeyoung whispered to herself, looking at the polaroid photo of her and Jennie that fell out of one of her old books, “Forget her.” Chaeyoung told herself one last time, before putting the photo back, to be forgotten once again.

 

~ ~

 

“CHONG-AH WELCOME BACK TO SEOUL!” Lisa’s loud voice echoes through Chaeyoung’s loft. “Hello Chu.” Chaeyoung decides to tease Lisa who starts to whine at her girlfriend, Jisoo.

 

“BABY!!! She’s ignoring me!!” Lisa fake cried, while Chaeyoung shook her head at her overly dramatic best friend and Jisoo looking fondly at Lisa.

 

“I can’t believe my ship made it.” Chaeyoung smiled at the two.

 

“Right?” Lisa turned to the blonde, while back hugging Jisoo, “She was such a brat in high school same with…”

 

“So Pasta how was Melbourne?” Jisoo cut Lisa off, before she could mention a certain someone.

 

“It was good..I enjoyed it a lot, made some friends and yeah..I missed it here though.” Chaeyoung gave her friends a smile.

 

“We missed you too! Chong-ah.” Lisa replied, pulling Chaeyoung into a tight embrace, “I’m glad to see you smiling.” Lisa whispered, before letting her go.

 

“Seulgi got held up at her studio, said she’ll try to visit as soon as possible, but Yeri and Joy should be here, they were right behind our car.” Jisoo spoke.

 

“I left the door unlocked, knowing those two they’ll just barge..”

 

“Oh oh looks like we have good timing Chae’s practically done unpacking!”

 

“Speaking of the devils.” Chaeyoung chuckled, while Yeri and Joy jumped on the blonde as soon as their eyes landed on her, “CHAENGIE! WE MISSED YOU!” The two trouble makers yelled out, hugging Chaeyoung tightly.

 

“I missed you guys too.” Chaeyoung laughed, remembering the trouble Yeri, Joy, and Lisa would get into during their high school days.

 

“Okay let’s all get to work now shall we?” Jisoo commanded, handing Lisa a box that had “Kitchen” written on it.

 

“Righty-O let’s get Chong-ah unpacked.”

 

The 5 girls spent the afternoon unpacking and building furniture. Chaeyoung didn’t have a lot of things brought back from Australia, mostly her clothes and some books.

 

“Oh..” Jisoo voiced out, finding a photo taken from a long time ago slipping out from in between some of the blonde’s vinyls.

 

“Wow, would you look at that...it’s been so long..” Lisa whispered, eyeing Chaeyoung who was laughing at whatever it was Yeri told her, “Do you think we should tell her?”

 

“She made us promise not too.” Jisoo looked at Lisa.

 

“I know..but it’s only a matter of time..plus this place is literally right by El..”

 

“Shhhh” Jisoo quickly hushed her girlfriend, “I told Jen about Pasta already..”

 

“They deserve a chance right?”

 

“Lisa.” Jisoo’s voice was stern.

 

“I’m not going to meddle.” Lisa put her hands up.

 

“You better not or else you and dalgomie will be switching beds.”

 

“I got it...but you agree right...they would have been great together..not as great as us of course.” Lisa smiled, placing a soft kiss on Jisoo’s cheek.

 

“Yes, babe..they would have.” Jisoo looked at the photo of their friend group...everyone smiling at the camera except for Chaeyoung and Jennie who only had their eyes on each other, “Really great.” Jisoo put the photo in the small opened box labeled “Photos.”

 

The girls spent the night organizing before finally calling it a day. Chaeyoung had ordered pizza and they all ate happily sharing stories.

 

The girls left soon after, still an early day for all of them.

 

“I’ll see you at the hospital tomorrow Chong-ah.” Lisa smiled.

 

“Bye Chae!”

 

“See you Chaeng.”

 

“Later hoe!”

 

“Thanks again for helping guys!” Chaeyoung waved bye to her friends.

 

~ ~ ~

 

A few weeks later, Chaeyoung found herself getting used to her life. Spending nights at the hospital, coming home to sleep and eat, then back again. She had a routine..one not too different from her medical school days or her residency/fellowship days in Australia. The blonde was busy..and liked it that way. It kept unwanted thoughts out.

 

But now, she’s off and rather than sitting around at home where her mind can wander, the girl decided to finally explore her new neighborhood.

 

“Oh, a preschool.” Chaeyoung smiled, seeing the kids playing outside all wearing cute little uniforms.

 

“It’s a good area. A convenience store and supermarket close by..and a wet market too. I guess trusting Joy and Yeri this time wasn’t such a bad idea.” The blonde laughed at herself, remembering the whole presentation the two put together on why she should move into her own place rather than back with her parents.

 

Walking back to her place, Chaeyoung once again passed by the pre-school.

 

“Hmm..seems like the day is over for the kiddos...ah to be a kid again.” Chaeyoung smiled, but then someone caught her eye, “Hey why are you still here alone?” She went to the little girl who was sitting on the swings.

 

“Stranger.” The little girl replied, not even looking up at Chaeyoung.

 

Smart kid.

 

“Okay why don’t you tell me your name then?” Chaeyoung bent down.

 

“Ms. Jo...she’ll be here..” She replied, still keeping her eyes cast down.

 

“I see..but until she comes back can I stay here?” Chaeyoung asked, worried because the girl was alone out here.

 

The girl nodded yes.

 

“Ella!”

 

“Ms. Jo!” The little girl, Ella, got off the swing and ran to the older woman, hugging her legs.

 

“Who are you?” Ms. Jo asked, looking at Chaeyoung up and down, while putting Ella behind her.

 

“Hi I’m Dr. Park. I was walking around the neighborhood and saw her here alone..I was worried, but she said you were coming right back.” Chaeyoung introduced herself as a doctor to ease the older woman’s mind.

 

“I see.”

 

“Yes..well I better go. Goodbye.” Chaeyoung bowed politely before walking home.

 

That evening as Chaeyoung laid in bed, the image of the little girl she saw earlier came back, “She looks like her.” Chaeyoung thought before succumbing to sleep.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Go to med school they said, it’ll be fun they said, you’ll be a great doctor they said..but look at me exhausted.” Lisa whined cutely to Chaeyoung and their friend and charge nurse, Wendy.

 

“You are a great doctor though Lisa.” Wendy smiled.

 

“You really are Dr. Manoban!” Other nurses gave Lisa two thumbs up.

 

“I already agreed on buying the pizza tonight, no need to kiss my .”

 

“Who’s kissing your ?”

 

“Baby!” Lisa tried to kiss her girlfriend, but the latter put a hand out, glaring at Lisa.

 

“They were just pulling Lisa’s leg, Chu. Wanting another free meal.” Chaeyoung stepped in.

 

“Yeah yeah.”

 

“Hmm..” Jisoo scrutinized the girl.

 

“Hey..you know you’re the only one for me right?” Lisa’s voice turned soft and serious, while she held onto Jisoo’s hand, who melted with those words.

 

“Ugh I’m so single.”

 

“You're telling me Soobin-ah.” Wendy turned to the male nurse.

 

“Okay before you two end up putting on a show in front of our patients, what brings you here Chu?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

“I was near the area and wanted to check in on my favorite people.”

 

“Did you happen to bring food?”

 

“Yes babe I did. I already put it in your office.”

 

“Nice!” Lisa did a goofy happy dance, but unfortunately before they could go an emergency patient came in.

 

“Someone please help, she's having an allergic reaction and her epipen wasn’t in her bag.”

 

“Duty calls.” Chaeyoung quickly ran over, with Soobin.

 

“She’s going into anaphylactic shock. Give her epi!” Chaeyoung shouted, recognizing the little girl in her arms.

 

While Lisa, Jisoo, and Wendy looked at the girl wide-eyed.

 

“Babe.” Lisa turned to Jisoo.

 

“I’ll call her, go help Chae.”

 

After stabilizing the little girl, Chaeyoung went over to Ms. Jo who was the one that brought the little girl in.

 

“We’ll have her admitted for two days to make sure everything is fine, but other than that she’s okay. You got here on time.”

 

“Thank you so much Dr. Park.”

 

“Of course...have her parents been notified?”

 

“Yes. Ms. Kim is on her way.”

 

“I see. I’ll talk to her mother when she..”

 

“I can do it Chong-ah..why don’t you go with Chu and get our food warmed up.” Lisa went up to Chaeyoung and signaled Ms. Jo not to greet her when the two made eye-contact

 

“It’s okay, you guys haven’t seen each other in a while. I can do..”

 

“Just go quickly.” Lisa pushed the girl away.

 

“Okay okay. Jeez.” Chaeyoung shook her head and went with Jisoo.

 

After Chaeyoung left, she finally showed up, a mask over her face hiding who she is.

 

“Where’s my baby girl?”

 

“Dr. Manoban, the mother is here.” Soobin went to Lisa.

“Okay. I’m coming.” Lisa smiled, watching as Jisoo was now dragging Chaeyoung by the arm trying to get her away as fast as possible, “Yeah..finding out here wouldn’t be the best...for either of them.” Lisa shook her head and went towards Ella’s bed.

 

At Ella’s bedside, Ms. Jo stood up to greet her mother.

 

“Ms. Jo what happened to Ella?”

 

“One of the kids shared a granola bar with her and it had some peanut butter. I rushed her here quickly, because her epipen wasn’t in her bag like usual.” Ms. Jo explained.

 

“My poor baby girl.” The woman sat down at the edge of her daughter’s bed, caressing her face gently.

 

“Ms. Kim I am so deeply sorry...I told the children not to carelessly share their snacks with Ella because of her allergy.” Ms. Jo bowed her head deeply.

 

“It’s okay...it was an accident...I’m just glad she’s okay. What did the doctors say?”

 

“Don’t worry Jen my goddaughter is fine. We’ll have her admitted for the next two days to monitor her, but after that she’ll be good to go.” Lisa went to her goddaughter and friend.

 

“Lisa…” Jennie hugged her friend.

 

“Ms. Manoban, what happened to..”

 

“Emergency surgery.” Lisa interrupted Ms. Jo

 

“I see, well I’ll excuse myself now. I’m sorry again Ms. Kim.” Ms. Jo bowed one last time before leaving the hospital.

 

“Hey you okay?” Lisa asked after Ms. Jo left.

 

“Yeah...just..worried. I was so scared when I got the voicemail from the pre-school and then Chu’s call.”

 

“I know...everyone here who knows her was shocked when we saw her. But she’ll be okay.”

 

“Where’s Chu?” Jennie stood looking around for her cousin.

 

“Huh? Oh..she was just here. Let me go check on her.” Lisa tried to excuse herself.

 

“She’s back right?” Jennie’s voice stopped Lisa from leaving.

 

“Yeah..she is.”

 

“How is she?”

 

“She’s good.”

 

“I’m glad.” Jennie smiled.

 

“Uhm I’ll go check on Chu..you stay here. Wendy will give you some paperwork so we can get Ella admitted.”

 

“Okay. Thanks again Lis.”

 

“Of course.”

 

~

 

“That little girl looks like her.” Chaeyoung voiced out, while the three of them were eating the chicken wings Jisoo brought.

 

“Looks like who?” the two feigned ignorance.

 

“Like..” Chaeyoung paused a bit, “Like Jennie.”

 

“Oh..hmm now that you mention it..she kinda does.” Jisoo laughed lightly, “Right babe?”

 

“Yeah she does.” Lisa laughed along.

 

“She’s a good kid too. I’ve met her before.”

 

“YOU HAVE?!” The two yelled out, and Chaeyoung backed away, slightly frightened by the outburst.

 

“Yeah..she goes to the preschool near my place. She was alone while that older woman who brought her here was away. I stayed with her a bit, because I was worried.”

 

“OHHH” The two voiced out nodding, sighing in relief.

 

“Hey Chae, you’re working night shift this week right?” Lisa asked, changing the topic away from Ella.

 

“Yeah working doubles in the ED. Professor Choi asked for a favor.”

 

“Okay. cool.” Lisa nodded, mentally cheering because the pediatric ward is on the other end of the hospital.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

Days later, Chaeyoung was once again off from work and on a small walk around her neighborhood. She was passing by the pre-school when Ms. Jo saw her and called her over.

 

“Dr. Park thank you again for saving Ella.”

 

“It’s my job Ms. Jo. She looks better.” Chaeyoung smiled, her eyes watching the girl play with the other children.

 

“Yes, we’re being extra careful and her mother left another epipen here just in case.”

 

“That’s good.”

 

“Ms. Jo there’s a problem.” Another teacher came up to the two.

 

“What is it?”

 

“It’s Ahreum..her mother is in the hospital and she’s the only one that can help out at their family restaurant.”

 

“Oh dear, is her mother okay?”

 

“Yes, but she won’t be able to come for the next few days.”

 

“It’s okay I can stay all day.” Ms. Jo nodded.

 

“Do you need another extra hand?” Chaeyoung asked, “I’m sorry..I don’t mean to impose but, there’s about 15 kids here and with you alone..I just..”Chaeyoung rambled on.

 

“If you don’t mind Dr. Park...we can even compensate you..”

 

“Ah no no please don’t. I’m the type that can’t sit still so this is perfect plus I love kids. Just think of me as a volunteer.” Chaeyoung smiled.

 

“If it won’t be too much of a bother then.” Ms. Jo expressed her gratitude to the blonde.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“Oh Auntie Chipmunk!” The kids all came to Chaeyoung as she entered the pre-school. It’s been a few days since Chaeyoung has volunteered to help.

 

“Hey guys!” Chaeyoung smiled, thinking of how the kids didn’t want to call her Chaeyoung but Chipmunk because they all think she looks like one.

 

“Can we play hide and seek again?” One of the kids asked.

 

“Hmm okay but Ella and I are going to be a team to find you guys okay?” Chaeyoung suggested, walking over to the girl who was in the corner by herself.

 

After a few hours the day has finally come to an end, the kids were all gone, well except for one.

 

“Hey there Ella is your mom late again?” Chaeyoung asked, sitting with the little girl, who was always picked up last. Usually Chaeyoung would leave when the parents began to come, but Ms. Jo had an emergency at home and asked Chaeyoung if she could wait with Ella. Of course Chaeyoung agreed.

 

“Mommy is busy.” Ella replied.

 

“Hmm..hey how about we sing to pass the time?”

 

Ella’s eyes lit up at the suggestion and Chaeyoung was proud of herself for that.

 

So the two sat down on the steps in front of the pre-school, with Chaeyoung playing the guitar, Ella sitting a step below her happily singing. This was the heartwarming sight that greeted Jennie when she entered the pre-school.

 

“Ella mo…”Jennie trailed off when she saw Chaeyoung with her daughter.

 

“Oh...mommy!” Ella quickly ran to her mother when she saw her by the gate.

 

“Hi baby.” Jennie bent down, hugging her daughter tightly to help calm herself down, because this was the last place Jennie thought she’d see Chaeyoung.

 

“Mommy this is Auntie Chipmunk.” Ella introduced Jennie to her now favorite aunt, who was stoned in place, registering the sudden information.

 

“Auntie Chipmunk?” Jennie couldn’t stop the smile from forming on her lips, thinking how fitting the nickname is for Chaeyoung; however, Auntie Chipmunk stayed mum..memories from the past coming back and hitting her like a truck.

 

“Hey Ella, looks like your mom is here. I’ll be going okay?” Chaeyoung ignored Jennie’s presence, wanting to get out of there as quickly as possible, “Be good. Goodnight.” Chaeyoung gently patted the little girl’s head before walking away.

 

I miss you, but I deserve this. Jennie thought to herself as she watched Chaeyoung leave.

 

~Flashback~

 

The Kim family is the definition of power in Korea. The family’s business dabbles from the arts to the sciences. You name it and the Kim family is most likely affiliated in one way or another. If South Korea had a monarch, Kim Soohyun would be the King, and his only daughter, Jennie Kim would be the princess.

 

“Guys guys, they’re really coming.”

 

“What really?”

 

“I heard the Kims were sending their children to public schools but wah this is crazy.”

 

Students were buzzing in the hallway with the news of Jennie Kim and cousin, Kim Jisoo attending Yonsei High, the high school affiliation of one of the SKY University, Yonsei University.

 

“Guys this is big news!” Joy and Yeri came running to the classroom with the news.

 

“Are they seriously going to transfer here? I mean why halfway through the year not at the beginning? Also, they have the money to go to some boarding school abroad, why come here.” Lisa voiced out.

 

“Hmm I don’t know why they’re transferring late, but I think they chose YHS because Mr. Kim was an alumni...plus..not to toot our own horn..but just because we’re a public school that doesn’t mean we’re not the top academic school in the country. We’ve been number one for decades in terms of academia and sports.” Yeri smugly replied.

 

“But still don’t you feel off about having people join because of their parents and not because they passed the entrance exam?”

 

“They did though, I heard Jennie Kim even got a 100%.” Seulgi replied.

 

“EH?!” Lisa, Joy, and Yeri looked at the bobbed haired Joy with wide eyes.

 

“I guess Chaeyoung’s got competition for her spot as number 1...Speaking of Chaeyoung, where is she?” Yeri asked looking around for the pastel pink haired girl, who’s usually reviewing her notes just in case of a pop quiz.

 

“Ah she’s going to be late today, it seems her dad needed her help with something.”

 

“Wow the world really is going mad, first the Kims attending the same high school as us and now our perfect attendance, never been late in her life, Park Chaeyoung is going to miss first period...What a time to be alive.” Seulgi shook her head in disbelief.

 

Meanwhile, at the Kim main family home a fidgeting Park Chaeyoung and her father were currently having breakfast with the Kim family.

 

“Thanks for helping my daughter and niece at school today Chaeyoung.” Mr. Kim spoke up.

 

“Oh it’s nothing.” Chaeyoung smiled, although she’s crying on the inside because her perfect attendance record has now been shot.

 

“I heard from Seojun here that you’ve been top of your class since grade school. Have you thought about what you’ll be pursuing after high school? I am assuming you’ll continue on to Yonsei University correct?”

 

“Yes..I haven’t decided completely, but I am leaning towards law like my dad.” Chaeyoung turned to her dad, who beamed at his daughter.

 

“That’ll be great! The company would definitely be waiting for you to take over your father’s position.” Mr. Kim laughed.

 

The conversations on the dining table flowed well, it was mostly Mr. Kim talking with Mr. Park, while the girls ate quietly and definitely avoided each other’s gaze.

 

“Oh my look at the time, we’ve already missed your first two classes. I guess I was talking too much.. Jeez princess why didn’t you tell dad?” Mr. Kim whined towards his daughter.

 

“I tried to tell you, but you kept talking to Uncle Park that I couldn’t get a word in.” Jennie spoke up for the first time.

 

“Alright alright it was my bad. The driver is out, so you two go on now and have a good day.”

 

“Thanks dad! Bye.” Jennie hugged her dad, while Chaeyoung said her goodbyes to her dad.

 

It was silent in the car, just music from the radio playing.

 

“I’m sorry that I kept you from class.” Jennie finally mustered the courage to say something to the taller girl.

 

“Huh? Are you talking to me?” Chaeyoung pointed to herself, honestly she expected a silent ride, with Jennie not even acknowledging her presence like she did earlier.

 

“I mean is there anyone else here but you?” Jennie chuckled, amused by Chaeyoung’s behavior, “ I thought we’d be friends you know, after having breakfast together.”

 

‘Right breakfast, where I found out that my dad was actually your father’s personal AND corporate lawyer?! And where you practically ignored me aside from bowing your head earlier..yes we’re definitely friends.’ Chaeyoung thought to herself, but of course she didn’t say that, instead she said, “I apologize Ms. Kim I was caught up in my own thoughts.” while bowing her head, feeling like she should since Jennie is a Kim.

 

“I noticed, but I really am sorry. Also, please don’t be too formal with me. I’m just Jennie okay? You can call me Jennie or whatever you like really.” Jennie smiled, her gums in full view.

 

‘Cute. Okay maybe she isn’t the spoiled brat I thought she was earlier.’ Chaeyoung nodded her head, “Okay Jennie..uhm you can just call me Chaeyoung or Chae, whichever you prefer.”

 

“I like Rosie.”

 

“Rosie?”

 

“Yeah cause your hair.” Jennie laughed, and Chaeyoung found herself laughing along.

 

“Rosie it is then Jen.”

 

When the two arrived at the school, Chaeyoung can already see everyone glued to the windows trying to catch a glimpse of Jennie.

 

“Ms. Kim, Ms. Park, we’re here.” The driver announced after lowering the partition.

 

“Thank you Uncle Min, we can get down ourselves.” Jennie smiled, stopping the older gentleman from getting out to open their doors.

 

“Are you ready?” Chaeyoung asked, motioning to everyone who was watching the car and the principal who was waiting by the front doors.

 

“Yeah, I’m used to this. Ah but maybe we should wait for..” Jennie stopped when she noticed another vehicle pull up behind theirs, “Nevermind, she’s here too.”

 

“Okay.” Chaeyoung smiled, about to open her door when Jennie stopped her, biting her lower lip anxiously. Yes, Jennie is used to having eyes and cameras on her all the time, but she’s also been privately homeschooled with Jisoo until they finally had convinced their parents to let them go to an actual school, so now that she’s here about to step into a high school with other teenagers the same age as her...well...she’s very nervous.

 

“Hey, don’t worry. I’m here. You’ll be okay and Mr. Kim mentioned they put you in the same classes as me. I’ll be with you all day. I promise.” Chaeyoung gently squeezed Jennie’s hand and the girl relaxed.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Hey we’re friends, you don’t have to say thank you.” Chaeyoung beamed, before getting out of the car, hearing a loud, “YAH PARK CHAEYOUNG YOU!” from one of the windows.

 

“What was that?” Jennie asked.

 

“That sounded like my friends...I apologize for them in advance, but they’re cool. I promise.”

 

“Jendeukie~~~”

 

“I apologize for her in advance Rosie.” Jennie whispered to Chaeyoung right when Jisoo practically crushed her with how tight she was hugging Jennie.

 

“Chu..can’t...breathe.” Jennie patted Jisoo to let her go, which she did.

 

“Who are you?” Jisoo went from sunshine and rainbows to a cold hearted the instant her eyes landed on Chaeyoung.

 

“Chu this is Rosie..I mean, Park Chaeyoung.” Jennie introduced the two, explaining how her dad asked her dad to help them transition.

 

“I see. Let’s go?” Jisoo turned to her cousin.

 

It was the end of the day, and thankfully for Jennie and Jisoo, Chaeyoung’s friends couldn’t interrogate her….but Chaeyoung knows they’ll pounce on her as soon as the two Kims head inside the Bentley waiting for them.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow then Rosie?” Jennie beamed at Chaeyoung.

 

“Yeah be safe Jen. See you.” Chaeyoung returned the smile, “Have a good night Jisoo.”

 

“Yeah bye.” Jisoo replied, dragging Jennie towards the car.

 

When the car finally drove away that’s when Lisa and co finally surrounded their poor victim.

 

“Yah Park Chaeyoung why the hell were you with Jennie Kim? Wait wait when did you become friends with Jennie Kim? The betrayal?!” Lisa huffed at her best friend while Joy, Seulgi, and Yeri crossed their arms over their chests and nodded in agreement with Lisa.

 

So Chaeyoung explained the whole situation to them, how her dad was actually not just Kim’s corporate lawyer, but also Mr. Kim’s personal lawyer.

 

“Crazy! You really out here living a whole drama aren’t you?? Like hand it over.”

 

“It’s not like that Joy, I just met them today. Plus, I don’t think Kim Jisoo likes me at all...but Jen..Jen’s cool.”

 

“I can’t believe it, we’re friends with Jennie and Jisoo?! LIKE???? What?!”

 

“I mean technically they just followed Chae around all day.” Seulgi decided to burst Joy and Yeri’s little bubble.

 

“Excuse you Seul...Chae’s friends are our friends too.” Joy hugged Chaeyoung.

 

True enough, as the days passed..the girls did get closer, except for Jisoo who seemed to not want to be around them at all.

 

“Hey Jennie.” Lisa called Jennie while they were heading to gym class.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Is your cousin like okay? I mean it’s been a few months, but she’s still you know colder than Elsa.”

 

Jennie chuckled at this, understanding why Jisoo has so many walls up, “I’m sorry Lis...Chu..she’s just like that. She’s very careful and protective so...but trust me, she really likes you guys. Just give her time.”

 

“Okay if you say so.”

 

“Hey you two hurry up we’ll be late!” Jisoo yelled out.

 

“Coming brat!” Lisa replied, which earned her a punch on the shoulder from Jisoo.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

Chaeyoung didn’t mean it..she didn’t mean to suddenly have her world revolve around Jennie Kim, but ever since the two met, Chaeyoung was just drawn towards Jennie’s gravitational pull, like the moon to the Earth.

 

“Dude just tell her seriously.” Lisa patted Chaeyoung’s shoulder as the girl watched Jennie chuckling at something Taehyung said.

 

“Tell her what?” Chaeyoung feigned ignorance, peeling her eyes away from the duo and facing her friends.

 

“Oh Pasta..” Jisoo shook her head, “It’s been 3 years since we met….did you really think we’re all dumb not to notice your not so subtle crush?”

 

“Not you too Chu..” Chaeyoung looked at her friend group who all had that knowing look on their faces, “Am I really that obvious?”

 

“Very.”

 

“Yep.”

 

“Is that even a question? Seriously, though why didn’t you confess in high school? Like??? We were all just waiting for the dating announcement you know.” The others chimed in.

 

“Well...then that’s probably why.”

 

“HUH???”

 

“If you guys say I’m that obvious then it means Jen must have picked up on it too...which means her not bringing it up or anything means she doesn’t feel the same way. So, I’d rather not confess and ruin things between us. Being friends is enough for me. I can still take care of her this way.” Chaeyoung explained while Joy, Seulgi, Yeri, Lisa, and Jisoo looked at her wide-eyed before they all collectively groaned and face palmed, “Anyways, I have to go, my lab is about to start.” Chaeyoung quickly stuffed the cheese bread in before grabbing her things and running out of the student union.

 

“That mindset and Jennie being totally oblivious to what’s right in front of her is why those two aren’t a thing yet.” Joy shocked her head, as the girls watched Chaeyoung leave.

 

“Agreed.”

 

“What are we going to do with those two?” Jisoo looked at her friends.

 

“They’ll figure it out..they’re meant for each other.”

 

“Who’s meant for each other?” Jennie asked sitting down after Taehyung had finally left.

 

“Jisoo and Lisa!” Yeri yelled out in panic.

 

“EH?” Jisoo and Lisa looked at each other and scoffed.

 

“As if I’ll ever date this monkey.”

 

“Please I’m a catch, it’s your lost cause I won’t date you ever.” Lisa retorted, sticking her tongue out.

 

“Okay okay calm down. Jeez we’ve been friends for 3 almost 4 years now and you two are still like Tom and Jerry with your love hate relationship.” Jennie mediated the two, as always.

 

“Tch it’s all Yeri’s fault...anyways Jendeukie you and Taehyung huh.” Jisoo playfully elbowed Jennie.

 

“Oh god no, we’re just friends.” Jennie denied, but of course the others weren’t buying it.

 

“Right friends~ they’re just friends everyone.” Lisa sarcastically replied.

 

“It’s true!”

 

“Mhm okay..fine fine we believe you..totally.” Seulgi smiled.

 

“I know you guys don’t just by looking at your faces.” Jennie deadpanned.

 

“Okay but next time, tell me when you’ll go see him okay?” Yeri spoke up.

 

“Why?”

 

“So I can get some of that honey that was dripping out of your eyes earlier for my tea.” The youngest snorted.

 

“KIM YERIM YOU!” Jennie stood up, but stopped when she saw lilac hair walking towards them.

 

“Rosie! I thought you would be in lab by now?” Jennie asked, her mood switching, after seeing her best friend.

 

“Professor Min has food poisoning. So it was cancelled, but now tomorrow’s gonna because we have to finish a two day lab in one.” Chaeyoung pouted, resting her chin at the table.

 

“Aww you poor baby. Why don’t I go with you to the library and we can prepare for the lab together?” Jennie offered.

 

“Really?”

 

“Sure! I don’t have anything scheduled today.”

 

“Ah you're the best Jen!” Chaeyoung hugged the girl tightly.

 

“Don’t you forget that.” Jennie replied, snuggling closer into Chaeyoung’s arms.

 

“Wait can I come?” Lisa asked.

 

“No.” Jennie replied without missing a beat.

 

“Ah Chong-ahhhhh~~~~” She whined, “I’m your best friend you can’t leave me behind like this!”

 

“Excuse you. I’m her best friend.” Jennie glared.

 

“That’s what you think Kim. Chaengie and I have been friends since grade school. I’m her best friend, you're just her backup.” Lisa fought back.

 

“Park Chaeyoung. You tell her!” Jennie whined, looking like she’s about to shed tears if the girl agrees with Lisa.

 

“Yes, Lis you are my childhood best friend and you Jen are also my best friend okay? Everyone here is my best friend.”

 

“Fine.” Lisa relented.

 

“Jen?” Chaeyoung turned to the girl.

 

“Hmmph fine.” She hugged Chaeyoung once again and whispered, “But I’m number one right?” And like always, Chaeyoung couldn’t deny Jennie Kim of anything she wanted, “Of course Jen.”

 

~End Flashback~

“So you have a kid now huh...that’s great..yeah…”Chaeyoung sighed, watching the skyline from her condo, a glass of wine in one hand and the wine bottle in the other, “Yeah..great.” Chaeyoung chugged from the bottle, wanting to numb out her feelings again.

 

“What did I do so wrong?” The blonde asked, before her eyes shut, the alcohol finally taking over her system.

 

The following morning Chaeyoung woke up with a mind splitting hangover.

 

“..I should not have drank so much.” The blonde groaned.

 

“Yeah you really shouldn’t have.”

 

“Lisa? What are you doing here so early?” Chaeyoung asked, opening her eyes to see Lisa in her living room.

 

“I thought we could have a girls day today, but the others were busy...and you look like .”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“You’re welcome, now tell me..what caused you to drink like there’s no tomorrow?” Lisa asked, grabbing the 2 empty bottles of wine and 3 empty bottles of soju and throwing them in Chaeyoung’s recycling.

 

“You guys knew, didn't you.” Chaeyoung spoke, getting up from the couch, dragging her body to the kitchen for some water and painkillers.

 

“Knew what?” Lisa asked, facing Chaeyoung who was now sitting on the table, resting her head on her arms.

 

“Ella...her daughter.”

 

“You..you know?!” Lisa quickly went over to Chaeyoung, “how?”

 

“She came to pick Ella up yesterday..I’ve been volunteering at the pre-school during my days off.” Chaeyoung explained, “Why did everyone hide it from me?”

 

“Chaeyoung..” Lisa looked at her friend softly, “It..it wasn’t my story to tell. Ella is very much hidden from the public. Only a few people know about her.”

 

“I guess I was part of the masses.” Chaeyoung shook her head. Of course..even now she doesn’t want anything to do with me.

 

“It’s not like that...look it’s complicated and I think you and Jen really need to talk about what happened back then.”

 

“There’s nothing left to say..she made herself clear that day. And I’m over it...it’s been years after all. Not everyone who comes into our lives is meant to stay, it was just me wishing she did.” Chaeyoung got up, making her way to her room, “I’ll go shower now, let’s have that girls day even if it’s just us.” Chaeyoung turned, and gave her best friend a forced smile.

 

“Sure Chong-ah.” Lisa nodded, sighing heavily when she heard Chaeyoun’s bedroom door shut.

 

Chae knows. They saw each other last night at the pre-school. -Chu’s Monkey

 

Yeah..Jendeuk called me for lunch and told me how Pasta practically ran away yesterday... -Lisa’s Turtle Rabbit

 

What should we do about them? - Chu’s Monkey

 

Nothing..we have to let Jendeukie handle this. They’re both adults. -Lisa’s Turtle Rabbit.

 

Well she better get on it, because Chae is still affected by it. -Chu’s Monkey.

 

Lisa. - Lisa’s Turtle Rabbit

 

No babe, I can’t be taking Jen’s side on this anymore. Chaeyoung’s my best friend and it’s time that I start acting like it. - Chu’s Monkey

 

Okay..I’ll try to push Jen..just be more patient okay? - Lisa’s Turtle Rabbit.

 

Fine….only because I love you. - Chu’s Money

 

I love you too. - Lisa’s Turtle Rabbit.

 

Putting her phone away, Lisa decided to cook some food. She’s determined to make Chaeyoung super happy today.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Dr. Yoo owes me for working all her night shift this week.” Lisa groaned.

 

“I told you I can do it, but you were so insistent.” Chaeyoung shook her head, handing her best friend a cup of coffee.

 

“Right and have you work for the 4th week straight? I know what you're trying to do...but you can’t avoid her forever.”

 

“Avoiding who?” Chaeyoung acted clueless.

 

“I know that she’s tried reaching out to you.”

 

“Who are you talking about?”

 

“Chaeyoung...c’mon.” Lisa looked at the blonde with a stern gaze, “Stop acting dumb. Just go talk to her.”

 

“Why? When it was so easy for her to literally turn her back on me.”

 

“Listen..there’s some things that you don’t know...things she kept from you.”

 

“Yeah there’s a lot..look Lisa, I’m fine with everyone still being friends with her..but..what happened that day..I..” Chaeyoung trailed off, forcing the memory out of her mind, “Just forget it. Jennie and I are nothing more than strangers. I have to do my rounds.” Chaeyoung walked off.

 

As Lisa watched her best friend walk away, she couldn’t help but wonder if they made the right choice in helping Jennie hide the truth.

 

~Flashback~

 

Jennie was nervous, pacing back in front in her bathroom, biting the nail on her thumb nervously.

 

“It can’t be...I mean you guys have done it before..and..” She anxiously tried to calm herself down, waiting for the timer to go off on her phone.

 

“Yeah just breath Jennie….it’ll be alright...you’re not..you can’t be.” She took a deep breath, stopping the alarm on her phone, and made her way to the sink where she left the tiny stick that could change her life forever.

 

“It’ll be fine Jennie...just..okay in 3, 2, 1.” Jennie looked at the digital screen, “Positive.” She read out loud, feeling her legs grow weak from under her, “I’m pregnant. .” Jennie cursed. Her period was late and she’s been having morning sickness...the signs were there, but now that the actual test result is here the young brunette couldn’t accept it. She sat on the floor, throwing the damn pregnancy stick away burying it under a plethora of tissues.

 

“What do I do now?” Jennie buried her head in her arms, tears slowly streaming down her face. She knows her dad would be furious, especially because the man did not like her current boyfriend at all.

 

“Jen? You here?” She heard a familiar voice call out to her.

 

‘Rosie! Why is she here?!’ Jennie began to panic, quickly she got up from the floor, fixed her appearance, and went out of the bathroom, “Rosie? Why are you here?” Jennie asked, mentally sighing in relief that she didn’t stutter.

 

“Your dad asked me to come, he said he won’t be back for dinner and wanted me to join you.” Chaeyoung looked at the girl, her brows furrowing, “Hey...something wrong Jen?”

 

“What? No..nothing’s wrong. I’m fine, uhm let’s eat?” Jennie denied and tried walking ahead of the taller brunette, but the latter caught her by the wrist and pulled her back, “You're lying to me.” Chaeyoung placed a hand on Jennie’s forehead and frowned, “You’re a little warm, let’s get you some food and then back in bed before it gets worse.”

 

“I’m really fine Rosie.”

 

“Atatat, listen to your doctor Jennie Kim.” Chaeyoung clicked her tongue.

 

“My doctor? You're still in med school Rosie.”

 

“Yes, but it’s my last year and did you forget the university is fast tracking me? Now c'mon.” Chaeyoung shushed the girl, scooping Jennie in her arms easily.

 

“You don’t have to carry me you know.” Jennie whispered, while her arms were wrapped around Chaeyoung’s neck, “I know you love it when I baby you. So just let me, I’ll go make you some kimchi soup and then we’ll get you to bed okay?”

 

“Hmm okay Rosie.” Jennie snuggled into Chaeyoung’s chest, hearing the heavy pounding of the girl’s heart.

 

‘I’m sorry.’ Jennie blinked away her tears, ‘I was already there you know.’

 

A few days later, Jennie went to her private doctor where he confirmed that she was in fact 3 weeks pregnant and Jennie was not going to get an abortion. Jennie is a Kim and they follow through on anything. So that same day she told her parents.

 

“Say that again Jennie Kim.” Her dad’s voice was stern, emotionless.

 

“Honey..” Her mother put a hand on her husband’s arm.

 

“I’m sorry...I..we..he said he used protection and..”

 

“3 weeks?! Jennie Kim you are still in university?! Do you understand how this will make us look? I thought you and that guy broke up already, how are you pregnant?!” Her dad wasn’t yelling, but each word cut Jennie like a knife.

 

“Dad I’m sorry...It was right before we broke up and..”

 

“Where is that bastard? Does he know?”

 

Jennie shook her head no, “No one knows except us and Dr. Hwang.”

 

“Good. Keep it that way. I don’t want that young man near you anymore. The media will not know about this. I’m sending you to the UK to finish your studies and to give birth there.”

 

“Honey! He’s the dad he should know.” Mrs. Kim spoke up.

 

“No. He will try to enter our family that way and I will not allow it. The baby will be kept a secret. No one will know.”

 

Jennie stayed quiet...feeling her entire world just crumbling right in front of her eyes.

 

“I’ll go with her. There is no way in hell am I going to let my baby girl do this alone. Maybe we should tell Chaeyoung and have her come with us.” Mrs. Kim spoke up.

 

At the mention of the brunette, Mr. Kim visibly calmed, he’s always liked Chaeyoung wanting the girl to get closer to his daughter. He always thought that Chaeyoung was the perfect partner for his only child, “Ah yes of course Chaeyoung. I’m sure she’ll go and be of great help.”

 

“Yes yes why don’t I call her.” Mrs. Kim smiled.

 

“No.” Jennie’s voice was stone cold.

 

“Excuse me?” Mr. Kim looked at his child, who had tears in her eyes.

 

“I’ll go to the UK with mom, I’ll hide the truth about my pregnancy, but leave Rosie out of this. If she finds out she’ll drop everything and come with me. She’ll throw her entire future away.”

 

“Of course not, she can transfer to a medical school there. It’ll be easy if I’m the one sponsoring her.” Mr. Kim argued.

 

“Dad..please..Rosie..can’t know.”

 

“Jennie..” Mrs. Kim looked at her daughter and saw the agony in her eyes, and it clicked, “Princess, do you have feelings for Chaeyoung?” At the question, Mr. Kim’s eyes widened and he looked at his daughter carefully, “You do….” He voiced out and Jennie nodded her head gently.

 

“I broke up with Jongin because I realized that I do love her. And I know that if she finds out about the baby, she will offer to be the second mom and I won’t have her throw her life away for something I did. So please.” Jennie begged.

 

“Alright, fine. You will leave at the end of the month.” Mr. Kim nodded, his heart breaking for his little girl, but he had to stay stern. He knew her ex’s true intentions from the beginning and he will do anything to protect his daughter and his future grandchild.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“My dad said he wants me to transfer to the UK with you and even asked Lisa if she wanted to continue med school there. What’s going on?” Jisoo walked into Jennie’s room while the girl was busy packing some things.

 

“Dad wanted me to finish abroad is all.” Jennie lied, when she saw Lisa entering behind Jisoo.

 

“Does Pasta know?” Jisoo asked, testing Jennie’s words.

 

“No..no one knows.”

 

“Okay, so then what’s the real reason?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“You said Pasta doesn’t know..that’s a big indicator that there’s another reason for this sudden transfer.”

 

“Chu..please, can we talk about this another time?” Jennie sighed, not wanting to go through this conversation again.

 

“If you don’t tell us then I’ll text her right now.” Jisoo threatened.

 

“Babe.” Lisa held Jisoo by the shoulder, motioning with her head towards Jennie, who’s shoulders were shaking.

 

“Jendeuk..” Jisoo’s voice softened and walked over to her cousin and hugged her from behind, “Just tell us the truth. What happened? We won’t tell anyone we promise.”

 

“We promise Jen.” Lisa hugged the two girls in her arms. In all her years of being friends with Jennie, this was the first time Lisa has ever seen the girl so vulnerable.

 

It took a few minutes for Jennie to calm down and admit the truth, shocking the two girls.

 

“What?!” Jisoo and Lisa looked at Jennie wide eyed, “You’re...you’re pregnant?” Jisoo asked in a hushed tone, while Jennie kept her gaze on the floor.

 

“You..you’re joking right?”

 

“I’m 3 weeks…” Jennie whispered, feeling the wave of tears pooling in her eyes again.

 

“Is that tard the dad?” Lisa asked, hands balling into a tight fist, “I thought you guys broke up? Did you know he...”

 

“Lalisa.” Jisoo stopped Lisa’s words.

 

“Know what?”

 

“Nothing. But is he the dad and does he know?” Jisoo asked.

 

“He is..he doesn’t know. It happened before we broke up. Dad wants me to keep this a secret from everyone, well except you two because he must have asked Uncle to talk to you guys. Now tell me..know what?” Jennie asked, she knows the people around her never approved of Jongin, but they never told her why.

 

“Babe, we need to tell her.” Lisa looked at her girlfriend.

 

“Just tell me.” Jennie demanded.

 

“He cheated on you multiple times and was only dating you because of money.”

 

“Yeah..I knew that.” Jennie admitted with a smile. Of course she knew, he always dodged Jennie’s requests for dates unless it was to go buy him something or for . It was never because he wanted to be with Jennie and even if they did go on an occasional date he would look so bored and disinterested.

 

“Then why did you stay with him?”

 

“Because I did love him..” Jennie paused, “No..I didn’t love him..It was more of him being the perfect distraction. He helped me so I played dumb.”

 

“Jennie..you.” Jisoo groaned in frustration, “You’re an idiot you know that?! You knew we all hated him, and what did you need that to distract you for? Why couldn't you come to me, to us?”

 

“Because… I didn’t want her to find out what I feel.”

 

“You mean Chae right?” Lisa asked.

 

“But that’s the thing Jen….she…”

 

“Also found this out and confronted him, but he threatened to hurt you if she did.” Jisoo interrupted Lisa. It wasn’t their place to tell Jennie about Chaeyoung’s feelings.

 

“WHAT?!” Jennie fumed, “HOW DARE HE?! AND YOU ALL HID THIS FROM ME?!”

 

“He threatened to hurt you Jen?! Why do you think we refused to leave you guys alone. You never knew it but she always followed you on your dates.

 

“What?”

 

“Even at night when you stayed at his place, she would wait in front until you would text her back good morning.”

 

“She did?”

 

“She was worried about you..we all were. So when we found out you two broke up, we all celebrated..If only we knew you were just using him...but now this.” Lisa motioned towards her stomach, “Jen...you should tell Chae about the baby.”

 

“No….you guys know how she is and how she’ll react. I..in time I will, but for now this stays between us okay? We can tell the girls my parents wanted to send us abroad, and Lisa you tell them you applied as an exchange student and got in.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Mommy come here.” Ella walked into her mother’s study, climbing onto Jennie’s lap, a small little plastic suitcase in hand.

 

“What is it baby?” She asked her daughter, kissing her forehead tenderly.

 

“I’m not a baby mommy. I’m Dr. Kim and I’m going to make sure you’re healthy.” Ella smiled, placing her suitcase on her mother’s desk.

 

“Oh? Okay, is this what grandma bought for you today?” Jennie decided to humor her daughter, while asking where she got her toy stethoscope, syringe, bandages.

 

Ever since the little girl got out of the hospital she’s been telling her mother and everyone around her about how she’ll also become a doctor one day like her Auntie Lisa and Auntie Chipmunk.

 

“No..”Ella shook her head before she resumed her roleplay, “Okay mommy, let me listen to your heart.” Ella blew some air on the chestpiece, surprising her mother at how attentive her daughter is, “You sound healthy mommy, but I still have to give you this shot so don’t get sick.”

 

“But Dr. Kim, I don’t like shots.” Jennie pouted, curious to know what her daughter will do.

 

“Do you want to always be with Ella Mommy?”

 

“Of course baby, mommy always wants to be with my little princess.”

 

“Then you need to get your shot so mommy can stay with Ella forever.” Ella smiled so widely.

 

“Alright.” Jennie smiled, her heart melting at her daughter’s witty way of convincing her.

 

“There.” Ella gently rubbed the spot she put the “vaccine” in.

 

“Thank you my little doctor, now tell me Dr. Kim who gave you that toy?” Jennie asked.

 

“Auntie Chu, but she said it was from Auntie Chipmunk.” Ella beamed.

 

“Oh.”

 

“Mhm, Auntie Chu said Auntie Chipmunk is working at the hospital a lot but she bought this for me, because of what Ms. Jo told her.”

 

“What did you tell her sweetie?”

 

“I told her that one day I’m going to be just like Auntie Chipmunk. I really like Auntie Chipmunk mommy, she’s so nice and she plays with me all the time at pre-school.”

 

“That’s nice baby.” Jennie smiled, hugging her daughter. Ella has always been a shy child, having a hard time opening up to others, but somehow Chaeyoung was able to get through to her and even got her to play with some of the kids at the preschool.

 

It seems that she has the same effect on my daughter. Jennie smiled, watching as Ella ran off with her toy. Making up her mind, Jennie got up and called out to Ella.

 

“Baby, do you want to see Auntie Chipmunk?”

 

At the mention of that name, Ella quickly ran back to her mother’s study.

 

“Really?!”

 

“Yes, why don’t we go visit her in the hospital tomorrow?”

 

“Okay mommy!” Ella was ecstatic.

 

The following afternoon after picking Ella up from pre-school, Jennie drove them to Yunje University Hospital. Putting on her hat and mask, she unbuckled Ella from her car seat and carried her out of the car.

 

“Jen?” Lisa recognize her cousin in-law and goddaughter wandering around the halls and quickly ran over.

 

“Hey what are you guys doing here?” Lisa asked.

 

“Hi Auntie Lisa, mommy and I are here to see Auntie Chipmunk!” Ella answered before her mother could.

“Auntie Chipmunk? You mean… Chaeyoung?”

 

“Is she here?”

 

“Jen.”

 

“She’s been ignoring my calls and I know it’s my fault but, you guys were right..I should have told her everything from the start.” Jennie blinked, trying to stop herself from getting emotional.

 

“Jennie...you..” Lisa sighed, rubbing the back of her neck, “I just know I’ll get an earful, but her office is next to mine. She should be there.”

 

“Thanks Lis.” Jennie hugged her friend.

 

“Yeah yeah, you owe me dinner for a month. Now I have to go. Bye Ells.” Lisa smiled and hugged her goddaughter before running off.

 

When the two reached Chaeyoung’s office, Jennie softly knocked.

 

“Come in.” Chaeyoung’s voice rang from behind the door.

 

She sounds exhausted...we should have bought her some food. Jennie cursed herself for not even thinking of grabbing takeout.

 

“Mommy?” Ella tugged her mother’s hand, pulling her out of her thoughts.

 

“Let’s go.” Jennie opened the door.

 

“May I hel…” Chaeyoung’s voice died in when she saw who was at her office door.

 

“Auntie Chipmunk!” Ella excitedly ran to the blonde who was able to catch the little girl in her arms, despite her initial shock.

 

“Why hello there Ella. How are you?” Chaeyoung asked, bending down on one knee to match Ella’s height.

 

“Good. I got your present.Thank you.” Ella bowed respectfully.

 

“You’re welcome, I’m glad you like it kiddo.”

 

“Chaeyoung.” Jennie finally spoke up.

 

Tilting her head up to look at Jennie, Chaeyoung forced a smile on her face, “Ms. Kim.”

 

“Can we talk?”

 

“Is there something we should talk about?”

 

“Chaeyoung.”

 

“Unless you have an appointment to see me as a doctor..I don’t think we have any other business with each other.” Chaeyoung remained professional.

 

“Please.”

 

“I don..”

 

“Auntie Chipmunk mommy said please.” Ella tugged on Chaeyoung’s white coat, looking up at the blonde with those feline eyes like her mother, and suddenly Chaeyoung understood why she had a very soft spot for the little girl.

 

“Alright. Sure...but not today. I’ve been here for almost 72 hours. I’m tired..can we just reschedule for the weekend?”

 

“Do you promise?”

 

“I promise.”

 

“You won’t break it?” Jennie asked.

 

“Unlike someone, I don’t break promises.” Chaeyoung’s words were harsh and she intended them to be harsh and to hit Jennie.

 

“Right..Lunch then? At my parent’s house.”

 

“Sure.”

 

After saying their goodbyes, the mother daughter duo left Chaeyoung’s office.

 

“Lisa texted me...Are you okay?” Jisoo was there waiting with open arms for her cousin.

 

“Mommy?” Ella turned to her mother.

 

“I’m fine..” Jennie’s voice cracked, “I’m fine baby.” She forced her emotions away for Ella, but Jennie wasn’t fine, she hasn’t been fine for years now..she’s been strong for her daughter but every night she thinks of all the what-ifs.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

The weekend came too fast, much to Chaeyoung’s chagrin.

 

“Ms. Park look at how beautiful you’ve grown.” The Kim’s head butler, Mr. Lee smiled.

 

“Hello Mr. Lee how are you? And what did I say about the formalities?” Chaeyoung returned the older man’s smile.

 

“Right right, Chaeyoung. Ah I’ve been doing good, when the young mistress mentioned you were coming, the entire staff is so excited. It’s been so long.”

 

“Yeah..” Chaeyoung laughed awkwardly, suddenly she felt like she was 15 years old, entering this mansion for the first time.

 

“Anyways, she’s been looking forward to this day you know. It’s been a while since we’ve seen her smiling...she only ever smiles when she’s with…” Mr. Lee trailed off, “I think I might’ve said too much.” He continued with a nervous chuckle.

 

“It’s okay Mr. Lee, speaking of Jennie...where is she?”

 

“She should be down soon. She was up early for an emergency meeting and came home looking a little pale. You know how fragile her health can be sometimes.”

 

“And Ella?”

 

“Out with her grandparents.”

 

“I see.”

 

“Why don’t you go check on her, and I’ll have the staff prepare your meal out in the garden like the good old days yeah?” Mr. Lee pushed the blonde slightly towards the grand staircase before walking off.

 

Meanwhile, an hour before Chaeyoung came, in her bedroom. Jennie had just finished changing out from her business attire into more casual clothes.

 

“Of all days for me to start getting a cold...why today?” Jennie muttered under her breath, sitting on her bed trying to ease her headache by massaging her temples.

 

“Maybe I should reschedule? No Jen you can’t..she might not even want to reschedule..you already have Ella to thank for her even being here in the first place.”

 

Let me just shut my eyes, real quick.

 

~ ~

 

“Knock knock?” Chaeyoung peeked her head in Jennie’s room, “Jennie?” She called out entering cautiously. It’s weird...years ago, this was like a second room for her, always coming and going as she pleases..But now here she is walking carefully like she doesn’t belong there.

 

“Jennie..” Chaeyoung looked at the brunette who was peacefully sleeping on her bed, taking a seat on the edge Chaeyoung frowned at the amount of sweat on Jennie’s forehead, “Goodness, you’ve always been such a workaholic, never taking time to rest..I see that habit hasn’t changed.” The blonde pressed a hand on the shorter girl’s forehead hissing at how hot she was. Getting up, Chaeyoung went down to grab a towel and a bowl of cold water.

 

“Is she that sick?” Mr. Lee asked.

 

“Hmm.. she’s running a temperature. Probably form stress.”

 

Probably because of me too. Chaeyoung thought, sightly feeling guilty.

 

“Aigoo...and she was looking forward to your lunch today too...but seeing you like this reminds me of when you would always take care of the young lady. I’m glad.” Mr. Lee gave a gentle pat on Chaeyoung’s shoulder before leaving the blonde alone.

 

Heading back inside Chaeyoung carefully placed the bowl on Jennie’s side table. She wiped the sweat from Jennie’s forehead as carefully as she could, but the sudden coolness stirred the brunette, “Rosie?” Jennie called out in her groggy state.

 

“Hmm..just rest Jennie, you’re sick.”

 

Jennie nodded, too sick too even be happy about Chaeyoung taking care of her.

 

“This girl..we’re already almost 30 and yet she’s still like a baby.” Chaeyoung smiled, remembering the days when she used to care for Jennie like this.

 

~Flashback~

 

“Jeez...I told you to bring a sweater cause you get cold easily...but you didn’t listen now look at you.” Chaeyoung softly scolded the girl.

 

“Are you seriously going to scold me while I’m sick?” Jennie coughed, and Chaeyoung was quick to help her sit up and pat her back.

 

“Okay okay I’m sorry. Stay put here, I’ll go down and make you some food okay?” Chaeyoung directed and Jennie nodded obediently like a child, “I mean it Jen.” Chaeyoung gave the girl a warning glance.

 

“Yes yes, I’ll stay in bed and wait.” Jennie smiled, but Chaeyoung knew better.

 

Stepping out of the room, Chaeyoung waited, counting down, “10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.” And just like that Jennie’s door opened with the brunette bundled in one of Chaeyoung’s hoodies she “borrowed” and her thick comforter wrapped around her.

 

“What part of stay in bed didn’t you get?” Chaeyoung asked, bending down to match Jennie’s height, while the culprit puffed her cheeks out from being caught and of course...Chaeyoung melted.

 

“Alright come on.” She bent down, facing her back to the girl, and Jennie quickly climbed on Chaeyoung’s back, wrapping her arms around Chaeyoung’s neck, the comforter being draped over their bodies, so Chaeyoung had to be careful not to accidentally step on it..but this isn’t the first time, she’s always been the one with Jennie when she got sick. And each time Jennie would cling onto her no matter where she was and Chaeyoung let her, oftentimes carrying her around like this.

 

“Jeez you big baby, you’re lucky I’m a premed student.”

 

“I know. My own Dr. Rosie Park.” Jennie snuggled into Chaeyoung’s neck, feeling better just by being near the girl.

 

~End Flashback~

 

After a few minutes, Chaeyoung went back down to cook Jennie some food before giving her some medicine.

 

“Ms. Park we can make it.” One of the newer staff members tried to usher the blonde out of the kitchen.

 

“It’s okay, I’ve done this before. Don’t worry Mr. Lee knows.” Chaeyoung assured them and they finally let her be.

 

“AUNTIE CHIPMUNK!” Ella yelled, running to Chaeyoung as the girl was stirring the kimchi stew.

 

“Ella-yah don’t run.” An elderly voice called out.

 

“Grandma this is Auntie Chipmunk.” Ella excitedly introduced the two.

 

“Omo Chaeyoung dear!” Mrs. Kim’s face lit up when she saw who Auntie Chipmunk really is, “You’re Auntie Chipmunk? Goodness what a small world! How are you?” The older woman hugged Chaeyoung tightly, to which the blonde returned, “I’m good Mrs. Kim. How are you?”

 

“I’m doing good dear, Jeez if I had known you were coming I would have prepared you some lunch, now look at you cooking..wait..why are you cooking?”

 

And so Chaeyoug explained how she and Jennie were supposed to have lunch today, but the girl caught a fever and she’s making this for her.

 

“My my this brings back memories…. Was it your senior year when Jennie got really sick and we had a conversation down here?” Mrs. Kim asked, a fond smile on her face.

 

“Of course.”

 

~Flashback~

 

“Jen I’ll go make you some food okay?” Chaeyoung whispered to the sleeping girl in her arms.

 

Jennie fainted at school from a fever because of a burst appendix. The whole thing definitely scared Chaeyoung less. The girl has never felt so helpless in her 18 years of life.

 

It’s been a week since the surgery and Jennie is finally able to have some solid food.

 

“Chaeyoung dear why don’t you let Mr. Lee handle that?”

 

“It’s okay auntie..I’ll do it.” Chaeyoung replied, focused on the radish soup she was making. She would have made Jennie’s favorite Kimchi soup, but she wasn’t allowed to have spicy food yet. Mrs. Kim smiled, Chaeyoung has always been so good to her daughter, treating her normally and without any hidden intentions.

 

“Your dad told us you were so worried about Jennie you couldn’t sleep for days. He said that you only slept after you knew that Jennie was here at home.”

 

“Ah yeah..well..” Chaeyoung laughed awkwardly.

 

“It’s okay. I like you for my daughter you know.”

 

“Yeah, Jen is a great friend.” Chaeyoung smiled, not wanting to assume anything behind Mrs. Kim’s words.

 

“Right right...Ah by the way your dad also mentioned your switching from prelaw to premed?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Why? You were so dead set on becoming a lawyer like your dad.”

 

“Ah well..uhm..”

 

“It’s okay Chaeyoung-ah, you can tell me.”

 

And Chaeyoung relaxed, Mrs. Kim had always treated her like a daughter and it’s not like her answer will do anything to harm that.

 

“When Jen was rushed to the hospital..I was terrified, she was sweating and even though unconscious she just looked like she was in pain and I felt so useless because I couldn’t do anything to take the pain away...and that’s when I decided to switch to premed, because I don’t ever want to not be able to take Jen’s pain away.” Chaeyoung’s voice was sincere and earnest. The girl may have thought her answer won’t change things, but it was then that Mrs. Kim began to pray that her daughter opens her eyes and sees how perfect Park Chaeyoung is for her.

 

“Stay by Jennie’s side okay?”

 

“Always.” Chaeyoung beamed and Mrs. Kim nodded her head before leaving the young girl alone, excited to tell her husband what she just said.

 

“She’s definitely the one for my Jennie.”

 

~End Flashback~

 

“It’s really nice to see you like this, even after all these years...you kept your words.” Mrs. Kim smiled.

 

“Ah well…” Chaeyoung laughed nervously.

 

“I’ll take Ella to her room. You go ahead and take that up, let’s have a lunch together with Jennie and your parents okay?”

 

“Yes Mrs. Kim.”

 

“Grandma is mommy sick?” Ella asked after realizing her mother didn’t come down to greet her with hugs and kisses like normal.

 

“Yes sweetie, but it’s okay...your mom’s favorite caretaker will make sure she’s okay.”

 

“Auntie Chipmunk?” Ella turned to Chaeyoung.

 

“Don’t worry kiddo, your mom we’ll be fine.” She smiled.

 

“If it’s you auntie Chipmunk then I know she will be. C’mon grandma let’s go upstairs.” Ella dragged her grandmother away and Chaeyoung bowed her head respectfully.

 

When Chaeyoung returned to Jennie’s room, the girl was still in deep sleep..Chaeyoung didn’t want to wake her but she needed to eat so she could take her meds.

 

“Jennie wake up.” Chaeyoung gently shook the brunette awake.

 

“A few more minutes Ells..mommy isn’t feeling too good okay?” Jennie muttered in her sleep.

 

“Jennie let’s wake up and eat first.” Chaeyoung tried again.

 

“Hmm?” Jennie began to stir slowly recognizing the voice she dreams of each night, “Rosie?” Jennie asked, voice hoarse,weak, and fragile. Her body was aching and it felt so heavy, but none of that mattered. No, what mattered is to find out if the girl in front of her is another hallucination or not..but how many days and nights has Jennie craved for her Rosie..there’s just no way, “No..it’s not you...it can’t be..” Jennie whispered, closing her eyes tightly, “Mrs. Lim, please tell my…”

 

“It is me Jennie.” Chaeyoung interrupted in a soft voice, “You have a fever..I made you some soup.”

 

“Chaeyoung...you’re really here?” Jennie reached a hand out, cupping her cheek, “It’s not a dream.”

 

“Jennie..” Chaeyoung pulled back slightly to get out of the girl’s reach, “Let’s get you fed so you can take your meds. We can talk again some other time.”

 

“Ah that’s right…” Jennie pulled her hand to her chest, “I..I’m sorry...I’m being a bother after having invited you here.”

 

“It’s fine...not like you meant to get sick...just here.” Chaeyoung lifted a spoon up to Jennie’s lips, “My hand is getting tired y’know.” Chaeyoung softly smiled and Jennie finally began to eat.

 

This used to be how we were...whenever I was sick. The kimchi soup still tastes the same too. Everything feels the same, but it’s not. We’re not. Everything is different and I wish it wasn’t. Jennie kept her eyes on the blonde, trying to memorize this moment, because it might be the last time they’ll ever be like this.

 

“What?” Chaeyoung asked, after Jennie took the last nite. She noticed how Jennie’s eyes never left her since she woke up. It made her so nervous, but she was glad that was able to keep her composure.

 

“I’m just..nothing. It’s nothing.”

 

“Okay...here, take this. Then get some rest.”

 

“Thank you.” Jennie smiled, showing her gums.

 

“Yeah..it’s nothing. I’m a doctor so….Anyways, get some sleep..I’ll get going.” Chaeyoung stood up, about to take the tray with her when Jennie caught her wrist.

 

“What about our talk?”

 

“Let’s talk some other time. When you’re better.”

 

“You promise?”

 

“Mhm.” Chaeyoung nodded, placing the tray back on the nightstand so she can help Jennie settle back into bed, “Get well soon.” With that, Chaeyoung took the tray and left.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“So she ended up being sick and you took care of her like always?” Lisa summarized after Chaeyoung recounted what happened a few days ago at Jennie’s house.

 

“I’m a doctor, I took an oath. Of course I took care of her..so don’t imply anything else.”

 

“I really didn’t. I was just stating a fact. You did always take care of her, that’s a fact. So I don’t get why you have to be so defensive. Anyways, when are you guys going to actually do this talk?”

 

“I don’t know...I’m not even sure she’s better yet...so.”

 

“Please...we both know if you really wanted this talk to happen you would have asked Chu how she’s doing, which by the way is healthy as a horse, and set it up yourself. In fact you could have even asked Auntie Kim for her number, which also hasn’t changed since we met.” Lisa made very valid points that Chaeyoung just sat there in her office staring at her best friend, trying to come up with a good rebuttal, but Lisa beat her to it, “It’s been so long since you last saw her, but you still love her.” Lisa stated, she could tell...it was obvious.

 

“I don’t... that was just a silly crush that fizzled away before I left.” Chaeyoung denied.

 

“That’s a lie. You’ve been in-love with Jen for so long...this is exactly why you two never got your chance. You were always playing it safe around her, never taking any chances. Your fear is why you lost her. Talk to her, because she didn’t abandon you Chaeyoung….it’s not what you thought. I gotta go though, they’re calling for me.” Lisa got up after typing something on her phone. Eyeing Chaeyoung who seemed to have gotten smaller and smaller in her chair, “You guys were always meant for each other, you both just need to make it happen. The universe can only do so much.”

 

As Lisa walked away, Chaeyoung fell deeper in her thoughts.

 

Lisa is right, I’ve always been cautious around Jennie. I was scared of losing her, but look at where we are now? Things are different, we’re different...but yet my feelings stayed the same. I’ve tried to convince myself otherwise, but I don’t think I’ll move on. “If we were really meant to be together..why did you push me away?” Chaeyoung asked, head down between her arms.

 

“Because I had a secret.”

 

Chaeyoung lifted her head up, “Jennie? Why are you here? I uhm how long have you been sitting there?” She couldn’t believe the shorter girl was there right now, “How did you know I was here?”

 

“Lisa.” Was Jennie’s short response.

 

“Of course.” Chaeyoung chuckled trying to ease her own emotions.

 

“Look I know this isn’t the best time..but let me explain..the truth about that day.”

 

~Flashback~

 

‘Okay Chae you got this...just tell her..it’ll be fine..just tell her.’ Chaeyoung was hyping herself up, the little teddy bear in her hand feeling heavier as she stood in front of the Kims family house.

 

“Rosie? What are you doing here?” Jennie asked, she was about to leave for the UK and the last thing she wanted was to see her Rosie because it’s already taking every ounce of Jennie’s willpower to leave her behind.

 

“Hi..look I know you said you didn’t want us to send you off today..but just this once let me be stubborn.” Chaeyoung smiled, wanting to be closer to Jennie until the end, but she could see how guarded Jennie was around her. The girl kept her arms across her chest, instead of clinging to Chaeyoung like usual. She also stood a meter away, it was like there was this invisible wall between them.

 

“Rosie..” Jennie sighed, she really didn’t want to do this..but it would be the only way, “I need to go soon or I’ll be late for my flight.”

 

“Can’t you spare me 10 no 5 minutes? Just 5..” Chaeyoung pleaded, her eyes starting to glisten, because she didn’t understand why Jennie was acting so distant, like she did something so wrong.

 

“Rosie just leave, there’s nothing left for us to say to each other.” Jennie spat, her tone sounding hostile, but each word broke her heart.

 

“Jennie?” Chaeyoung was taken back with Jennie’s tone, the girl has never spoken to Chaeyoung in that tone.

 

“I don’t want you in my life anymore Chaeyoung. So just leave. I don’t need you and I never needed you. God Chaeyoung can you stop pestering me already?!” Jennie stared right into Chaeyoung’s almond shaped eyes, her words were like a knife stabbing at Chaeyoung’s already broken heart.

 

“I..uhm..I’m sorry.” Chaeyoung gripped the teddy bear in her. ‘If that’s what you want Jen. If I’m really that meaningless to you then fine. All I wanted was for you to be happy and if that’s me not being a part of your life then okay.’ The taller brunette sighed, walking to Jennie she grabbed the girl’s hands and placed the teddy bear she bought in the shorter girl’s arms, “Here..for when you need a friend...because apparently it isn’t me. Take care.” Chaeyoung smiled, thankful that her voice didn’t break. She turned around, jogging to her car before her knees could give up on her. Inside her vehicle, Chaeyoung finally let the tears she’s been holding in out.

 

“It’s for the best.” Jennie whispered to herself, feeling her world crumbling even more than it already has, but she needed to make a point and she knew..she knew Chaeyoung was still watching her, so with one last squeeze to the teddy bear in her arms that smelt just like her Rosie, Jennie walked over to the rubbish bin near some of the groundskeepers and threw the bear away. Jennie bit her lower lip, she had to keep her tears at bay.

 

It was only when Chaeyoung’s vehicle was out of sight did Jennie finally break.

 

“I’m sorry my Rosie.”

 

~End Flashback~

 

“So I left...I was young, pregnant, scared, but I had my parents, Chu and Lis..and I had you.” Jennie pulled out the teddy bear Chaeyoung gave her that day and placed it on the table, still looking new, “Nini bear’s hugs weren’t as good as the person who gave her to me, but she still comforted me nonetheless.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me? Why did you just push me away like that?”

 

“Because I know how good your heart is...You would have thrown everything away to stay by my side, to be responsible somehow..but Ella was and is my responsibility not yours. I didn’t want to burden you with this.”

 

“I wouldn’t have thrown everything away...I could have transferred with Lisa..And all of us could have figured it out together...it wouldn’t have been a burden..I would have treated the baby like my own.”

 

“Exactly, you would have treated her like your own, even though I’m just your best friend you would have cared for her as if she’s yours...and I didn’t want that...not because I didn’t want you too, but because if you did and we grew attached to you..what would happen if someone ended up taking you away from us?”

 

“Who would want to take me away? I wouldn’t have gone anywhere.”

 

“You don’t know that.”

 

“You’re one my most precious friend Jen...I wouldn’t just leave..you should have known better than that.”

 

“Yeah..” Jennie just agreed, if she refuted anymore she might blurt things out..words that she’s been keeping to herself for years.

 

“Thank you.” Chaeyoung spoke up after a brief moment of silence, “For answering the question that’s been on my mind all these years.”

 

“I owe it to you...I should have told you sooner..I’m sorry for everything.” Jennie stood up and bowed 90 degrees.

 

“Hey lift your head, jeez your acting like we aren’t friends.” Chaeyoung smiled, the weight on her shoulders disappearing. It’s been years since Chaeyoung felt this light.

 

“I just..” Jennie awkwardly raised her head, twiddling with her thumbs, not knowing what to say next.

 

Still smiling, Chaeyoung got up from her chair and for the first time since that day she held Jennie in her arms again, “Don’t push me away anymore...I missed you..you know.” She whispered, tightening the hold around Jennie. It was that hug and Chaeyoung’s calming presence that made Jennie release all her hidden emotions, “Rosie” Jennie cried, her shoulders shaking.

 

“I’m here...I’m not going anywhere..I promise.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/n: Part two coming...What do you want to see?

Drama?

Family Time?

Jealousy?

All of the above???