In This Life

Chaennie Shots (Volume 1)

‘Never did I think this would happen. I didn’t think that I’d lose you so quickly. People always say that things happen for a reason, but why this? Why did you have to leave me? I hate you Park Chaeyoung...I hate you I hate you...I hate you for leaving me alone...come back to me please. I need you Chae...I need you..I can’t do this without you..come back to me Hubby..’

 

“Jen..” A light tap on her shoulder brought Jennie back from her musings, wiping the tears from her cheeks, Jennie forced a smile, “Jisoo..hi.”

 

“You don’t have to force a smile.” Jisoo softly replied, taking a seat next to the girl she’s known her entire life.

 

“I know...but she would want it...she wouldn’t want me to be sad forever.” Jennie replied, her eyes focused on the photo in the glass case. It’s a beautiful photo taken a few years ago by Jennie herself.

 

“Hubby wait wait!” Jennie grabbed hold of Chaeyoung’s arm forcing the girl to stand still,

 

“What is it wifey?” Chaeyoung asked, confused.

 

“Smile!” Jennie commanded, lifting her film camera up. Chaeyoung chuckled but complied nonetheless. It was golden hour, the sun was shining just right on the taller girl. The warm golden brown hue casting a halo around Chaeyoung. Breathtaking. She was so breathtakingly beautiful.

 

“Wow.” Jennie whispered, capturing her girl, “I love you.” She smiled, feeling the sudden urge to hug the taller girl.

 

“I love you too.” Chaeyoung whispered, holding the girl tightly in her embrace.

 

“She would, but she wouldn’t want you to bury your true feelings either. Take your time J.” Jisoo smiled, gently running her hand up and down Jennie’s back, while the girl rested her head on Jisoo’s shoulder.

 

“I can’t believe it’s been a year since the accident.” Jennie spoke up, while she traced the glass case. “It’s been a year but it feels like it just happened.”

 

“Jennie…” Jisoo stood up, standing next to her best friend. It hurt her seeing Jennie like this. The once cheerful and confident girl is nowhere to be seen...rather it’s just a hollow shell of Jennie. Just living for the sake of living. Living and pretending that she’s okay, when clearly she isn’t.

 

“Maybe you should listen to Irene..and see that therapist.” Jisoo brought up therapy again to help Jennie cope with her loss. Don’t get anything wrong though, Jennie and Chaeyoung’s friends tried to get the girl to move on, to accept it, but when Chaeyoung left, it’s like she took Jennie’s heart with her. Except, there’s no way the blonde could ever return her heart. Jennie’s heart died the day Chaeyoung’s heart stopped beating.

 

“No amount of therapy can help Chu...only she can...only Chaeyoung can.”

 

“We all want you to take your time Jen...and this might be the perfect start. You can do it slowly, like once a week or every other week. Can you try? If not for you..then do it for her.” Jisoo gestured to Chaeyoung’s photo, “You said it yourself, she wouldn’t want you to be sad forever.”

 

Jennie didn’t reply, she just stared at Chaeyoung’s photo again and then at the photo of the two of them on their wedding day.

 

“Jennie Kim, my almost official wifey, I have loved you for so long. From high school to now to the rest of our lives. And I know our friends will agree with me when I say that since I met you...I knew it would be you and me forever. In this life and the next. I can’t promise you that our married life will be all sunshine and rainbows, because we’ve been together long enough to know that bumps can happen, but we’ve always overcome them...together. As long as you're by my side nothing else matters. I love you so much and I want you to know that I will be loving you in sickness and in health, til death do us part.”

 

“Til death do us part.” Jennie whispered to herself, her thumb automatically grazing the wedding band she refuses to remove.

 

“Jen..”

 

“I’ll go.” Jennie interrupted. Maybe it’s time for her to set Chaeyoung free as well.

 

“Okay..I’ll make the appointment for you.” Jisoo smiled, hugging her best friend, “Everything will be okay Jen. I promise.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“No no no no no this cannot be happening not again!” A black haired girl was pacing back and forth in her apartment, eyes shut tightly.

 

“YOU CAN SEE ME! YOU CAN HEAR ME!!” An overly excited voice was squealing.

 

“Yes..I mean no..No! No I can’t.”

 

“You do realize that you, responding to my questions, refute your answer of not seeing me..”

 

“Ahhh! Stay back!” The dark haired girl yelled when she saw the blonde a foot away from her.

 

“Please. I need your help.” The girl’s voice was pleading and the dark haired woman couldn’t resist the desperation in her tone.

 

“I...What is it?” She sighed, running a hand through her hair.

 

“Help me help my wife.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Look Chaeng I don’t think it’s smart for me to just go to your wife and say, “hey Chaeyoung is fine, but she’s really worried about you and wants you to take care of yourself even if she isn’t here.” She would probably report me to the cops.”

 

“You don’t have to say it like that just let her know that everything will be okay. I’ve been watching over her, following her, and it’s tormenting me to see her lose her smile. Please Lisa please.” Chaeyoung begged the dark haired girl. It’s been a week since their first encounter where Lisa agreed to help Chaeyoung with her wife.

 

“Alright fine, after my last appointment we can go find her. What’s her name anyways.” Lisa asked. The two were at Lisa’s psychiatric clinic, Chaeyoung has been tagging along with Lisa almost everywhere she goes, because she is the only one Chaeyoung can interact with.

 

“Oh her name is Je”

 

“Dr. Manoban, Jennie Kim is here.” Lisa’s receptionist announced through their intercom.

 

“Okay send her in.” Lisa replied, “Sorry, what was the name Chae?”

 

But Chaeyoung didn’t reply. Lisa furrowed her brows at this, but relaxed when she heard the door open.

 

“Hello, you must be Jennie Kim. I’m Dr. Lalisa Manoban, but just call me Lisa.” Lisa stood up, stretching a hand out for Jennie to take.

 

“Hi, uhm it’s nice to meet you.” Jennie took the hand, weakly shaking it.

 

“Let’s get started shall we.” Lisa gestured to the couch. Jennie sat down and Lisa, with her clipboard, took a seat across from her. Usually, Chaeyoung would leave when Lisa was with a patient, but not this time. Lisa wanted to tell the blonde to leave, but her patient was here and she didn’t want to scare the girl.

 

“I read your file...and I would like to offer my condolences for your loss.”

 

“Thank you….Actually, I came here because my friends feel that therapy will help me let go of her..of us.” Jennie voiced out, proud of herself for not breaking down in front of her therapist.

 

“Losing someone is hard..especially if they are someone you loved. I’m glad you came to see me.” Lisa sincerely smiled.

 

“Yeah..”Jennie agreed, fiddling with her wedding band.

 

“Tell me about her.” Lisa put her clipboard down, and took out a recorder instead.

At the thought of Chaeyoung, a real genuine smile appeared on Jennie’s face. Chaeyoung smiled at this. “There’s the smile I know.” She whispered to herself.

 

“Gosh where do I even begin to describe her.”

 

“You can start anywhere, basic information, how she looked, how she made you feel. Just anything. Just say whatever.”

 

“Park Chaeyoung.” Jennie began, at the mention of the name Lisa’s eyes quickly trailed to the blonde in the corner of her office, who moved to sit next to Jennie on the couch, “That was her name. Park Chaeyoung. She was taller than me, but our height difference was perfect. She made the best big spoon.” Jennie chuckled, and Chaeyoung did as well.

 

“Chae was imperfectly perfect, but that made me love her more. She had such a free spirit, and is genuinely a nice person. Like genuinely nice, she will help anyone no matter what, without asking for anything back or expectations. A diamond in the rough. One in a billion. The only one.” At this, Chaeyoung placed her hand over Jennie’s.

 

“Here.” Lisa handed the girl a tissue, eyes quickly glancing at the blonde who had tears in her eyes seeing her wife still mourn for her.

 

“And I...I was the lucky one to have her love me. To have her choose me, because she was pretty popular, even after our marriage, but her eyes never wandered. When we got married she told me in her vow that since the beginning she knew that it would be me and her forever. I just didn’t expect our forever to be so short.”

 

Sensing that Jennie was about to talk about whatever happened to Chaeyoung, “How did you two meet?” Lisa changed the subject, she wanted their first session to be light, to just reminisce. To slowly face her loss, instead of diving head first into it.

 

“We were in high school..Chae was a transfer student from Australia. Her father received a job offer at some law firm here and moved the family back to Korea.”

 

“Jendeuk can you at least smile! It’s our first day back from break and you already look like you flunked an exam or something.” Jisoo tried to cheer up the dumpling cheeked girl, who waved a dismissive hand at her best friend.

 

“Why is winter break over already? I need more sleep.” Jennie whined and Jisoo playfully shook her head.

 

“Good morning~” Joy came barging between Jennie and Jisoo and hooking her arms with the two.

 

“What’s with the face Jen?” Irene asked, stifling a yawn.

 

“Just lacking Zs.” Jisoo answered for Jennie.

 

“Mood.” Yeri came up with Seulgi who was munching on some bread, “Momming.”

 

“Tsk what did I say about talking with your mouth full.” Irene wiped the crumbs from the side of her girlfriend’s face.

 

“I was hungry and woke up late.” Seulgi sheepishly answered.

 

“You guys are too sickenly sweet. Thanks for making the rest of us feel single af.” Joy made a face, followed by the rest of the girls.

 

“Say what you want now, but when one of you gets into a relationship we’ll get our revenge, right Hyun?”

 

“Of course.”

 

The warning bell rang and the girls quickly went to their class, which thankfully was the same.

 

“Safe!” Yeri chuckled, when Wendy barged in right when the final bell rang.

 

“Thank God! Lee would have roasted me if I was late the first day back.” Wendy collapsed onto her chair next to Joy.

 

“Okay everyone get to your seat, we have a new student joining us today, come on in.” Mr. Lee announced and soon all heads turned to the door as the new girl came in.

 

Jennie watched as the girl seemed to move in slow motion, her heart rate increasing, and butterflies going absolutely crazy in her stomach. And when she made eye contact with the new girl, she felt her cheeks burn up.

 

“Please introduce yourself.”

 

“Uhm Hi everyone, my name is Park Chaeyoung and I’m from Melbourne, Australia. My Korean is a little rusty, so I hope you guys can be patient with me. Let’s all be friends”

 

“Wow she’s gorgeous. I call dibs.” Joy loudly said, causing the class to erupt in light laughter and Yeri to smack the girl on the back of her head, “Chile flirt.”

 

Okay everyone calm down.” Mr. Lee gave them his warning look, “Now, lets see..ah you can take the empty seat next to Jennie, byt the window there.” Mr. Lee gestured towards the empty spot next to Jennie.

 

“Jennie please help Chaeyoung out please.”

 

With a nod, Jennie Kim, known for her resting face, turned to the new girl and beamed a megawatt smile. Shocking everyone around her.

 

“Hi I’m Jennie, let’s be friends.” Jennie introduced herself, a double shocker to the class, but her friends just gave each other a knowing look.

 

“Chaeyoung and I’d love that.” Chaeyoung returned the smile. Something told her that being friends with Jennie will change her life for the better.

 

“That’s so cute.” Lisa couldn’t help but coo at the story.

 

“Yeah, my friends told us when we got together they all saw it coming. Apparently, we never acted as just friends, there was always something more.”

 

“Yeah we never did stay platonic did we.” Chaeyoung chuckled next to Jennie.

 

“So who confessed first?”

 

“I did.” Both Jennie and Chaeyoung spoke up, and Lisa had to try her best not to address the blonde, “Although, she would argue that she confessed first. But it was definitely me first, she just never knew it.”

 

“Huh?” Chaeyoung looked at Jennie, there was a glint in her eyes.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Officially, Chae did ask me first, but when she wouldn’t know I would always tell her how much I love her. It was 6 months after she transferred when I first told her.”

 

“Jen you coming?” Jisoo asked, the girls were about to head down to grab some food.

 

“Yeah, just give us 5 minutes.” Jennie gestured to the sleeping blonde.

 

“OMG can you guys just get together already!” Yeri teasingly chuckled, running away before Jennie could get her hands on her.

 

“We’ll meet you guys at our usual. I’ll grab you two some food.” Irene smiled, before being dragged out by her hungry girlfriend.

 

Once everyone cleared out, it was just Jennie and a sleeping Chaeyoung in the classroom. Smiling, Jennie scooted her chair over, leaning her chin on her forearm, leveling her gaze to match Chaeyoung’s, whose head was leaning on her arm comfortably.

 

Jennie stayed like that for a bit longer, tucking the stray strands of hair behind Chaeyoung’s ears so her view wouldn’t be disrupted. Smiling, Jennie stealthily took a photo of the sleeping girl.

 

“I like you Chae...no..I might be in love with you.” Jennie whispered to the sleeping body.

 

The girl kept watching the sleeping blonde, but her stomach began to grumble so it was time to wake the girl up.

 

“Chae..it’s lunch time. If we don’t hurry we might not get food.” Jennie gently shook Chaeyong’s shoulder, thankfully the girl was easy to wake up.

 

“Ahhready.” Chaeyoung yawned, stretching up, “Hi.” She smiled at Jennie.

 

“Hey, let’s go?”

 

“Hmm.” Chaeyoung got up, and took Jennie’s hand in hers.

 

‘Yeah..I know I’m in love with you.’ Jennie smiled to herself while her eyes gazed at their intertwined hands.

 

“And I would consistently tell her that, when she was sleeping, whisper it when she wasn’t listening, and mouthed it when she wasn’t looking. It was hard for me to keep how I felt to myself because it was like overflowing. I don’t know how to describe just how much I care for her. How much I love her.”

 

“I..never...all this time you did that? I guess I’ll let you tell people you confessed first now.” Chaeyoung smiled, lifting a hand to gently caress the side of Jennie’s face.

 

The scene in front of Lisa was breaking the girl, the torment in both Jennie and Chaeyoung’s eyes, it was a lot. As a therapist, Lisa has come across many patients that were depressed due to loss or other personal issues, but this is the first time that she feels her heart breaking for the couple in front of her.

 

‘You two deserved better.’ Lisa thought to herself, trying to keep her emotions at bay. Guess it doesn’t help that Chaeyoung had become a constant and well, friend to the therapist.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Are you okay?” Lisa asked as soon as her and Chaeyoung got back to her apartment.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I don’t think I can just tell her about you...now that she’s my patient.”

 

“I figured, but you're helping her in this way too..I know I should have left when she came..but is it okay..for me to just be in there with her?”

 

“Of course.” Lisa smiled, she could tell that the blonde was bottling up emotions as well….might be why she hasn’t crossed over.

 

“Thank you.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Hey Jennie good morning.” Lisa greeted the girl cheerfully, it was their 4th session today. The last three focused more on just talking about the relationship between Chaeyoung and Jennie.

 

“Hi.” Jennie smiled, a real smile. She admits that talking to someone about Chaeyoung has really helped. She doesn’t get too sad or cry when their memories pop into her mind. Even her friends have noticed the change.

 

Chaeyoung was there, as always sitting by her side.

 

“Would you like some water, coffee, tea?” Lisa offered, their session was usually later in the afternoon, but something came up so they had to have their 4th session in the morning.

 

“Coffee would be great.”

 

“Sugar? Cream?” Lisa asked.

 

“Please.”

 

With a nod, Lisa went to the other side of her office and poured some coffee into two mugs.

 

“Jen likes her coffee on the sweeter side..Hmm add 3 packs of the sugar and 3 of the creamer. Ah! Mix the hazelnut creamer with the french vanilla, but don’t tell her my secret.” Chaeyoung strolled over to instruct Lisa on how to prepare the coffee.

 

“Okay okay.” Lisa whispered to the blonde, holding back the chuckle.

 

“Here you are, let me know if you would like more sugar or creamer.” Lisa handed the mug to Jennie, taking a seat and watching her reaction carefully.

 

Nodding, Jennie took a sip of the brew and almost cried, “This..how did you make this?” She asked. She hasn’t had coffee that tastes like this in a long time. It was the special mix only Chaeyoung seemed to know.

 

“Hmm?” Lisa acted nonchalant while sipping on her own drink.

 

“Nothing..it’s good…” Jennie looked down at the brown liquid in her mug.

 

“I think there’s more...what is it?” Lisa urged the girl to not keep it to herself, though she has an idea.

 

“Chae...whenever she would make me coffee..it would taste just like this. I never thought I would taste it again.”

 

“Why can’t you just tell me how you make my coffee?” Jennie pouted, the two were enjoying a quiet morning at home. The shorter girl cuddled on Chaeyoung’s side, watching TV while sipping on the coffee her fiance made for her.

 

“Because.” Chaeyoung replied, not taking her eyes off of the book she was reading.

 

“Hubbyyy~~ I can’t make my coffee taste like this at the office, and I can never order it right at the cafe.” Jennie whined, she’s been trying to get Chaeyoung to spill her coffee recipe since the two were seniors in high school but nothing.

 

“Good, it’s working then.” Chaeyoung chuckled.

 

“Huh?”

 

“My coffee is making you miss me even when I’m not with you..therefore, you can never leave me because only I can make you this.” Chaeyoung smiled.

 

“You’re such a dork. You think I stay because of a cup of caffeine?” Jennie playfully rolled her eyes.

 

“Partially.”

 

“Yah!”

 

“Kidding kidding. I know you love me very much.”

 

“Good, now tell me your recipe!” Jennie demanded, setting her mug on the center table and facing her fiance, who went back to focusing on the novel in her hand.

 

“No way, only I can make this for you.” Chaeyoung squinted her eyes at her girl.

 

“For now, what if one day…” Jennie stopped, “Never mind.” But Chaeyoung figured what she was about to say, and thought ‘just in case’ so she said, “If one day, I can’t make this for you anymore..then you should be with the person who can.” Chaeyoung looked at the brunette who had her lower lip jutted out in a cute pout at the sad thought.

 

“Don’t even say that. I won't choose anyone else. You're my person for life. Ride or die.” Jennie hugged the girl tightly, “I can lose everything, but you.”

“Me too..but”

 

“No buts..just hold me.” Jennie scooted closer, if that was even possible.

 

“Hmm.” Chaeyoung hummed, “I won’t ever leave you.”

 

“Jennie…” Chaeyoung wanted nothing more in that moment than to be able to physically hold the brunette in her arms. To comfort her, but the blonde has to settle with just being next to her, even if the girl doesn’t know it.

 

“She was that person huh.” Lisa looked down at her own mug, wanting to say that she’s right there, next to you. She hasn’t left you, but of course would Jennie believe her and what good would that do..if anything it might pain the girl more.

 

“Yeah...she was..she is..I don’t think I can open my heart to anyone as much as I did with her.”

 

“That’s okay.” Lisa smiled, while Jennie looked at her confused, “It’s okay for you to take your time. You came here to help yourself right? To cope and it takes time. Just because you’ve accepted what happened that doesn’t mean you have to jump into another relationship or anything like that. Just take it easy. Do you think the sessions

have been helping?”

 

“Honestly, they have. It’s nice to just be able to reminisce about her..about us, without the breaking feeling in my chest anymore. Those memories are very precious to me. They were the happiest times and I guess it made me even more sad that after what happened they became a source of sadness...but talking to you about them really helped.”

 

“I’m glad.” Lisa paused, her gaze quickly shifting to Chaeyoung before she continued, “Do you want to tell me what happened?”

 

At the question Jennie froze, her mind racing through the moments of that day.

 

“If you’re not ready we can talk about…”

 

“I..”Jennie paused, taking a deep breath, “I can.”

 

“Okay take your time.”

 

“We got in a fight..it was pretty petty...but I can be bit over dramatic sometimes.”

 

“I can’t believe you would even think that I would do something like that. We’ve been together for a decade now, do you think I would even do something like that?” Chaeyoung was annoyed, it was late and she had a long day at work. All she wanted was to go home to her wife and kids (2 dogs and a fish), enjoy a late dinner, and sleep..but no, instead Chaeyoung comes home to Jennie fuming and pointing an accusatory finger at her.

“I know what I saw Chaeyoung! God you two were literally all over each other!”

 

“Jennie please...I’m tired and had a rough day...the last thing I needed is for you to accuse me of something that I would never do. Hyeri unnie is just a colleague..I don’t know what you saw, but it definitely is not what it looked like.” Chaeyoung pinched the bridge of her nose, trying to keep her voice calm.

 

“How can you say that when you just said you didn’t know what I saw?!”

 

“Okay then tell me, so I can explain.”

 

“See you just admitted that there’s something to explain!”

 

“You're being unreasonable here Jennie. I’m not the bad guy here.”

 

“UNREASONABLE?! I’m being unreasonable? Wow..I’m sorry that I’m trying to figure out why MY WIFE is out there canoodling with some other woman!” Jennie flared her eyes shooting daggers at Chaeyoung, but it helped the blonde understand what exactly Jennie saw.

 

“We literally fell asleep in my office while working! I told you that the media company was pushing the deadline up, so we had to stay late to finish as much as we could. Nothing happened! Okay she was leaning on me, but it didn’t mean anything! I fell asleep first, I didn’t even know she stayed!” Chaeyoung explained her side. Jennie is very possessive and she’s always been wary of Hyeri since Chaeyoung introduced them to each other. Always warning the blonde that Hyeri looks at her differently, looks at her as more than a coworker or friend.

 

“Right sure, that’s a very convincing story Chae.” Jennie rolled her eyes.

 

“Oh my God! Jen you’re being unfair here. What more do you want from me?”

 

“The truth Chae..I want the truth.”

 

“THAT IS THE TRUTH!” Chaeyoung finally lost her temper and raised her voice at Jennie, something she rarely does unless she’s really had it.

 

“No you're yelling at me?!”

 

“Jennie...what do you want me to say, because it seems that whatever answer I give you, I’m wrong. I’m the bad guy. Just tell me what you want to hear. I told you the truth and you won’t accept it. Do you want me to go to the office and get the CCTV footage for my office?” Chaeyoung sarcastically replied.

 

“Tsk whatever. Sleep on the couch tonight.” Jennie was done as well, “Come on Kuku mommy is sleeping with you tonight.” She carried their pomeranian into the master bedroom and slammed the door shut.

 

Chaeyoung plopped down on the couch, rubbing her temple with her fingers trying to ease the headache.

 

“Hey there Joohwangie..” Chaeyoung got up and sat in front of the fish tank in their living room, “Sorry you had to see that.” She comforted the fish like a real child.

 

“Did you have dinner yet?...Here.” Chaeyoung put some fish food in the tank and watched as the fish ate the tiny pieces.

 

“Let’s wait for your mom to cool down.”

 

“It was one of our rules...to never go to bed angry. Everytime we fought we would make-up before the night ended..I would tell her to sleep on the couch, but one of us would usually come and make amends before that could actually happen.” Jennie started to sniffle.

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t come and check on you that night. I’m sorry...I should have talked to you and comforted you and told you soothing words rather than raising my voice.”

 

“Did it happen before you two made up?” Lisa asked.

 

“Yes and no...we were okay but also not..it was just not right. It wasn’t us.”

 

Chaeyoung woke up on the couch, not remembering what time she fell asleep; while Jennie woke up wondering why the bed felt empty..the two realized it though and it felt weird after it sunk in because for the first time in the 10 years the two have been together, they went to bed mad at each other.

 

“Morning.” Chaeyoung greeted Jennie with a forehead kiss like she always does during breakfast.

 

“Morning.” Jennie greeted back, sipping on the coffee Chaeyoung had prepared for her.

 

“Will you be working late today?” Jennie asked, nibbling her lower lip nervously. Chaeyoung was acting calm..like last night didn’t happen..like they didn’t go to bed mad at each other.

 

“No, I’ll be home early.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Hmm.”

 

Another first in their relationship...awkward silence.

The day felt like it was dragging for the two, because they were still in this awkward area that they haven’t been in before.

 

“Okay what’s with the face Jendeuk.” Jisoo put her utensils down and focused on the gloomy girl in front of her.

 

“What face?” Jennie looked at her best friend who raised a brow.

 

“I’ve been talking nonstop over here, while you’ve just been playing with your food all pouty. Did something happen?”

 

‘Of course she would catch on,’ Jennie thought to herself.

 

“We fought.” Jennie admitted and Jisoo couldn’t stop herself from snorting, “Fought for what? A second? You two fight but it doesn’t even last long. What was that rule thing again...ah you two don’t go to bed angry”

 

“No Chu..we fought..and we went to bed angry at each other and breakfast was the same but also not...and and we’ve barely talked all day..and I..” Jennie was struggling to find the right words and Jisoo knew that this wasn’t just a normal fight.

 

“Okay start from the beginning what happened.”

 

So Jennie explained how she wanted to surprise Chaeyoung at the office by bringing her a late dinner since she was staying later, but when she got there she saw Chaeyoung sleeping with Hyeri cuddled to her side.

 

“I left, waited for her to get home, and..”

 

“And you basically let the green monster out and probably didn’t listen to what Chae was saying. Am I right or?” Jisoo interrupted Jennie, who nodded her head yes in defeat.

 

“Oh jeez Jennie..it’s been like 10 years and you still get so jealous. It’s cute sometimes, but I can’t believe it caused you two to fight like this.”

 

“Chu, you know how Hyeri looks at my wife like I’m a mistress or something. Like everytime we went to company events, that girl would try to hold onto Chae.”

 

“But does Chae look at her the same? No right?” Jisoo spoke words of wisdom.

 

“Ugh..I should go see my wife.” Jennie felt Jisoo’s words hit her.

 

“I’ll drive you..c’mon.”

 

“Hey Jennie.” Chaeyoung picked up the phone, she was in her office when the phone rang. Usually she would be all sweet to Jennie, but the two still were in a cold war of some sort.

“Chae…” Jennie sniffled, she was in the passenger seat of Jisoo’s car and hearing her wife greet her with her name rather than Wifey or dumpling or Jendeukie, or anything that counts as a term of endearment..and that..that made her even sadder.

 

“Are you crying? What happened?” Chaeyoung furrowed her brows, worried.

 

“I’m sorry...I shouldn’t have accused you...I know that you love me..and I..I’m sorry...I’m sorry...I don’t like it when we fight.” Jennie was babbling while crying, completely melting the girl on the other line.

 

“Shhhh hey listen to me Wifey..it’s okay. I forgive you..stop crying..okay?” Chaeyoung tried to comfort Jennie over the phone.

 

“Chae can you please collect your wife from the front seat of my car.” Jisoo spoke up loudly to combat the crying Jennie, thankfully Chaeyoung caught her voice and quickly raced down.

 

“Wifey,” Chaeyoung flung the passenger door open, and Jennie practically lept into her wife’s arms, still a sobbing mess.

 

“Oh my cute little dumpling..it’s okay.” Chaeyoung patted her wife’s back, whispering sweet nothing in her ear, trying to calm her down.

 

“Let me see my wife’s beautiful face.” Chaeyoung pulled away after Jennie calmed down, “There she is.” Cupping her wife’s face, wiping the stray tears with her thumb, “I hate it when we fight too. And I understand where you were coming from too..I probably may have reacted the same if I saw Nayeon around you too.”

 

“Are we okay now? Can we not be awkward anymore?” Jennie pouted, resting her chin on Chaeyoung’s chest.

 

“We’ll always be okay. Remember that. I love you too much to stay mad at you.” Chaeyoung playfully pinched Jennie’s cheeks, before placing kisses all over her face and finally capturing her lips.

 

“Okay well since you two are fine I’ll be going.” Jisoo finally spoke up when she noticed the two starting to get really into their kiss.

 

“Chu..sorry..we just kind of.” Chaeyoung chuckled awkwardly, “Thank you.” Jennie smiled, Jisoo nodded her head and drove off.

 

“Those two... A match made in heaven if I ever saw one.” Jisoo smiled to herself, watching the couple from her rear view mirror, but then it happened.

 

“I lov..” Chaeyoung’s eyes widened when she noticed the oncoming vehicle on the sidewalk. It looked like the driver fell asleep on the wheel, the people began running away, quickly Chaeyoung took Jennie to the side, but noticed a little boy absentmindedly running towards the car, his mom going after him...and before Jennie could stop her..Chaeyong ran towards the woman and child..pushing them out of the way just in time.

 

To everyone else it all happened so fast, but for Jennie it was like a slow motion video from the moment Chaeyoung ran towards the child to her body being hit by the car, flying in the air before landing with a heavy thud. Jennie couldn’t hear or see anything else..all she focused on was getting to Chaeyoung.

 

“Hubby...Hubby..” Jennie got to Chaeyoung, her whole body trembling.

 

“Someone call 119.” Jisoo who caught a glimpse of the accident turned around quickly and was by Jennie’s side in a blink of an eye.

 

“Wi..Wifey..” Chaeyoung was barely conscious.

 

“I’m here Chae..I’m here.” Jennie was crying.

 

“Hey don’t cry...I’ll be okay.” Chaeyoung’s vision was starting to blur, but she could see Jennie nodding her head.

 

“I love you.” Chaeyoung was fighting hard to stay awake, but she couldn’t fight it anymore. The last thing she heard was Jennie’s voice, “I love you..don’t leave me please.”

 

Chaeyoung had her eyes closed as Jennie recounted the accident. She couldn’t look at her wife in the face..she couldn’t look and see how broken the memory made the girl. Chaeyoung still remembers the desperation in Jennie’s voice that day. She remembers how defeated Jennie looked when the surgeons came out of the operating room to deliver the bad news. She remembers how Jennie lost the light in her eyes.

 

“It was an accident and luckily asides from Chaeyoung..No one else got hurt. The driver was charged and is in jail..the mom and kid are okay. They visited the funeral actually and offered their condolences.” Jennie wiped her tears, trying not to completely cry her eyes out, but was failing. It still hurt..thinking about that day.

 

“You still dream about it don’t you...the accident.” Lisa stated, rather than asked because the way Jennie recounted that day it was as if Jennie was seeing it all happen again right in front of her.

 

“It used to be every night...but as time passed it’s been happening less. The last time it happened was the night before her death anniversary.”

 

“Do you go back to sleep after? Or does it recur every time you close your eyes?”

 

“Usually, I would wake up, stay up a bit. But then I’d go try to sleep again and I don’t know.. it’s like she’s there comforting me. It’s weird..it’s like I can almost feel her presence sometimes.. Especially in the beginning.”

“Because I was there Jen. I am here.”

 

Lisa looked at the two in front of her, ‘maybe this is the last thing we need to do before they both can really free themselves.’

 

“You said you feel her presence sometimes, do you feel it now?” Lisa asked, trying to keep her eyes on Jennie and not wander off the blonde ghost.

 

“Yes..actually, since the first time we met..it feels like she’s right next to me. Like she’s sitting on this couch with me.. I know it’s weird, but we’ve always been this way. Even if we don’t know we’re in the same place, it’s like we can feel each other’s presence.”

 

“You know Jennie. I think that the reason why you don’t allow yourself to move on isn’t because you don’t want to or because the memories of Chaeyoung and you are painful...it’s because you feel guilty. You feel like it’s your fault. You feel that if you didn’t pick a fight with her the night before, then you guys wouldn’t have fought, then you wouldn’t have had to apologize to her, and the whole accident could have been avoided. But it’s not your fault Jennie. You couldn’t have foreseen that accident to happen. And once you accept that, then maybe you can finally completely accept it all.”

 

Jennie listened intently to Lisa’s words and even though she wanted to deny it all..she knew Lisa was right.

 

“It’s okay you don’t have to voice anything out...all I want you to do now is tell Chaeyoung what you wished you had told her.” Lisa smiled, reaching out to turn off the recorder, “It’s off record and if you want I can step out.”

 

“I---”

 

“Trust me..this will help you. Just knock on the door when you're done.” With that, Lisa smiled, got up, and walked out of her office.

 

“I hope this helps...the both of them.” Lisa sighed, running her hand through her hair.

 

Meanwhile, Jennie was in Lisa’s office, Chaeyoung moved from being next to her to sitting on the center table, placing her hands over Jennie’s, waiting for the girl to talk. But she never does..she just sat there. After a while Jennie got up and knocked on the door as Lisa instructed.

 

“Well?” Lisa asked.

 

“I think if I was to do that...I’d have to be in front of her.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

Later that evening, Jennie found herself back in front of the funeral home where Chaeyoung’s ashes are. She once again traced the girl’s photo before taking a seat on the bench.

 

“Lisa was right.” Chaeyoung smiled to herself, kneeling in front of her wife reaching out, wanting to tuck the strand hair away from her face. The two sat there, Chaeyoung leaning her arms on Jennie’s knees just waiting for what she will do next.

 

“Chae..Hubby..” Jennie finally spoke up after 5 minutes of staring off into space, “I really miss you love. I’m sorry that I accused you of cheating and I’m sorry that I wasn’t the best partner for you. Honestly, sometimes it makes me wonder why you stayed with me all those years. You must have really loved me huh.” Jennie wiped the tears from her eyes, getting up to stand in front of the glass case, while Chaeyoung watched the girl from the side, trying to keep a smile on her face, because this is what she wanted for Jennie to free herself and move on.

 

“Yeah I love you so much Wifey, so much and I’m so sorry that I left you. That we didn’t have a chance to grow old together. God I’m so sorry Jen..I miss you and please don’t say you weren’t the best, because you were. You were the best thing to happen to me.” Chaeyoung stepped closer towards the brunette, grabbing onto her hand although Jennie can’t feel it.

 

“Chaeyoung...it’s been really hard for me. I’ve been trying my best, but Lisa is right. I do feel guilty and I can’t stop myself from thinking of the what ifs..what if I didn’t pick a fight, would you still be here? What if I just listened to you explain without being such a jealous , would you still be here? What if we never went to bed angry that night would you still be here? What if breakfast wasn’t so awkward and we talked properly, would you still be here? What if I waited to talk to you at home would you still be here? There’s so many what ifs Chaeng, but that’s all they’ll ever be...because I can’t change the past..you're gone now and I do need to accept that. I need to rebuild my life..my life without you...and it ‘s not going to be easy, it really won’t but I’m going to try for me and for you..for the both of us. I need to let you go now Chaeyoung...but just know I won’t ever forget you, I won’t ever forget us, and finally, that I love you...I’ll always love you..even if I open up my heart to someone else..you’ll always be there. My Hubby. Goodbye.” Jennie cried, leaning her forehead against the glass, while Chaeyoung too was crying, wanting so badly to just wipe Jennie’s tears away.

 

“Please stop crying my love, I know it’s been hard for you. I know..God, I think about all the what ifs too...but you're right, we can’t change the past..we both have to let each other go. I know you won’t ever forget me and I also know that someday someone will capture your heart and I hope that when that day comes they will love you as much as I did, and maybe more. I love you too Jennie..so so much and I miss you..and I’m sorry.” Chaeyoung leaned her forehead against Jennie’s shoulders, her body shaking from her sobs.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

Later that night, Jennie was in deep sleep. For once a peaceful rest. Chaeyoung sat on the edge of the bed, caressing Jennie’s hair softly.

“Jennie Kim, the last 10 years of my life with you were absolutely amazing. I’m glad that you are finally able to really move on. It’s nice that your smile is coming back. This is the last time I’ll be able to see you like this...maybe one day we can meet again, but for now...this is the end of our story. I’m sorry it was so short...I wished it was longer, but we still had a great story didn’t we Wifey? I miss you so much Jennie and I love you. I love you in this life and the next.” Chaeyoung wiped her tears, leaned down and paced one last kiss on Jennie’s forehead, “Goodbye love.”

 

As Chaeyoung faded away, a lone tear escaped from Jennie’s eyes… “Goodbye Hubby.” The girl whispered in her sleep. This was really the end.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/N: Uhm How You Like That?

 

Also, I know nothing about therapy.which is why i didn’t give Lisa more dialogue in this.

 

Anyways...let me know what you guys thought.