Together pt. 4 (Epilogue)

Chaennie Shots (Volume 1)

“I’m so sleepy Wan…” Chaeyoung groaned, leaning her head on the counter of the nurse’s station.

 

“Who told you to cover Dr. Jung’s morning shift after your night long surgery?” Wendy looked at Chaeyoung with a small shake of her head.

 

“Her wife was finally coming back, I couldn’t say no.” Chaeyoung pouted.

 

“Yeah yeah you’re a saint. Why don’t you go lay down in the call room. I’ll wake you when that happens.”

 

“Too far..let me just...ah I know.” Chaeyoung went behind the counter and sat on the desk next to Wendy.

 

“Just let me sleep for a bit..10 minutes tops.” Chaeyoung yawned, already looking comfortable on the chair, leaning backwards, eyes already closing.

 

It didn’t take long for the tall doctor to fall asleep.

 

“Why is Dr. Park sleeping there??” Chan, another nurse, asked.

 

“She’s doing Dr. Jung’s shift and was too lazy to walk the 10 feet to the call room.” Wendy shrugged.

 

“Ohhh I see.” Chan nodded, before taking a photo of the sleeping doctor.

 

“Yah! What are you doing?” Wendy scolded.

 

“Just watch.” Chan chuckled, “Crazy! Like how can she look that attractive while sleeping like that.” Chan shook his head.

 

For the next few minutes since Chan took the photo of Chaeyoung a number of people seem to be taking trips to the Emergency Department. Some even leaving little snacks and drinks.

 

“Wendy..hi! Can I leave this for Dr. Park.”

 

“Dr. Lee hello..” Wendy looked at the spot next to her, scratching her forehead, “Uh sure.” Wendy smiled, placing the can of mango juice next to the others.

 

“Thanks!” Dr. Lee smiled, before walking off.

 

“Chan what did you do??” Wendy asked, grabbing the poor guy by the back of his collar while he walked past their station.

 

“We..n..” Chan choked.

 

“Look at this.” Wendy motioned to the abundance of mango juice and snacks filling their counter.

“I really didn’t do anything...I just sent the photo to Jihyo.”

 

“Who probably sent it to the entire staff. Jeez.” Wendy face-palmed.

 

“But it’s been more than 10 minutes, shouldn’t we wake her?”

 

“It’s fine, there’s nothing major and the patients here are all stable. Just help me move some of this in the fridge.” Wendy sighed, grabbing a cart.

 

“Wah I always knew Dr. Park was popular but look at all these. I heard even patients dropped things off for her.”

 

“Yeah...but trust me...you don’t want her wife finding out you caused this.”

 

“Her wife? I’ve never met her wife before. Who’s her wife?” Chan asked curiously.

 

“Someone that can be quite intimidating.”

 

While Wendy and Chan were taking a trip down to the call room with the cart full of snacks. Someone very familiar entered the hospital, making her way towards a specific area, phone in hand.

 

“Ohhh I know someone that would love this..” Lisa chuckled, taking a selfie with the sleeping girl before sending it to a certain someone. Lisa was a few steps away from the nurse’s station when she heard some giggling.

 

“Quickly take it before someone sees.”

 

Intrigued, Lisa decided to hide behind the wall to look at what’s going on, of course phone in hand recording the whole thing..for future purposes.

 

“What if she wakes up?” One of the girls spoke, someone Lisa didn’t recognize.

 

“Lia just hurry up before Wendy comes back. I want one too.”

 

“Okay okay.” The girl, Lia, went behind the counter and got next to Chaeyoung and snuck a photo.

 

“Okay quickly your turn.” The girls switched, quickly taking a photo before running off.

 

Amused, Lisa kept watching as more and more people began to take either a selfie with or a photo of the sleeping beauty. Of course leaving a snack or drink with a “fighting!” written on a sticky note or some other message.

 

“Jeez I didn’t know a sleeping Chaeyoung could attract a crowd.” Lisa chuckled.

 

“Lisa?” Wendy spoke up, causing the tall girl to jump in surprise, “Wendy shh come here, Look.” Lisa motioned for Wendy and Chan to look at the small crowd gathering around their station.

 

“Oh jeez, those..” Wendy was about to storm off and fend the crowd away when Lisa and Chan stopped her.

 

“Wait let’s see what happens.” Chan spoke up amused.

 

“Yeah what Chan said.”

 

“You guys are going to get us in trouble.”

 

“It’ll be fine, Chong-ah’s passed out.”

 

“Lisa you of all people know it’s not Chaeyoung we should fear what if…”

 

“What’s going on here?” A recognizable voice interrupted Wendy, the trio peeked their heads around the corner to see Suzy dispersing the hospital staff.

 

“Well that’s our cu..”

 

“Wait wait.” Lisa stopped Wendy again, and they kept watching as Suzy went around the table. She watched as Chaeyoung slept for a bit, reaching out to tuck the stray hair that had fallen in front of her face.

 

“Wait is Dr. Bae her wife?” Chan asked.

 

“What no. Goodness Chan, don’t let her wife hear you say that..trust me.” Lisa looked at the guy with a warning look.

 

The trio were about to head out from hiding when another voice was heard.

 

“What are you doing to my mom?”

 

The trio immediately peeped their heads out again, “Wait Dr. Park has a kid?” Chan was scandalized.

 

“Adopted.” Lisa replied.

 

“Ah...wait...where have I seen that little kid before.” Chan frowned.

 

“Aish this...shut it will you.” Lisa cupped the guys mouth shut, motioning that she’s trying to hear.

 

“Oh Ella, it’s nice to see you again.” Suzy smiled at the now 10 year old girl, who smiled and bowed politely in return.

 

“Why is mom sleeping here?” Ella asked, going over to her mom.

 

“She’s been working so hard.” The little girl pouted, “Why are there so many of mom’s favorite drinks and snacks here?”

 

“It seems your mom still has many admirers.” Suzy chuckled, taking one of the mango juices and opening it up.

 

“Like you?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“My mom...you liked her before right?”

 

“Hmm..” Suzy gave Ella a teasing smile, before shaking her head, “That’s not something I don’t think I should tell you.” Suzy replied before reaching out about to wake Chaeyoung when another hand stopped her.

 

“Where do you think you’re touching Bae Suzy?”

 

“Mommy.” Ella smiled at her mom.

 

“Jennie.” Suzy looked at the girl, with a small smile, “I was just trying to wake her.”

 

“I can wake my own wife up.” Jennie deadpanned.

 

“I’ll just go then.” Suzy replied with a sigh before heading off.

 

“Jennie Kim? Dr. Park’s wife is THE Jennie Kim?” Chan was shocked.

 

“Yes...seriously how can you not know? The entire staff knows.”

 

“I just moved here from Australia sorry I wasn’t in the know.” Chan put two hands up like a caught criminal, “But isn’t it crazy how Dr. Park still has so many admirers even when married. Like why not ask her out before yknow?”

 

“The only reason why they didn’t actively ask her out is at the time there was the thing with Dr. Bae and then Jennie...the competition was strong.” Wendy chuckled.

 

“Okay tell the story next time Wannie, Jen’s about to wake Chae up.” Lisa was back to eavesdropping on the Kim-Park family.

 

“Rosie...I know you’re awake.” Jennie lightly chuckled, booping her wife on the nose.

 

“Are they all finally gone?” Chaeyoung asked, peeking out of one eye.

 

“Yah Chong-ah! You were awake the whole time?!” Lisa came out of hiding after hearing that, followed by Wendy and Chan who went off to check on patients, highkey scared of the glare Jennie was giving Lisa.

 

“Lisa you! Why’d you let them feast on my Hubby like that.” Jennie whined at her cousin’s wife, who replied with a cheeky smile.

 

“Cause it was quite entertaining. You literally had a line here Chaeng...hmm maybe I should have charged money for the photos.” Lisa chuckled.

 

“Not cool Lis, ugh my neck.” Chaeyoung groaned, stretching her neck a bit.

 

“When’d you even wake up?” Lisa asked.

 

“When Lia took her photo, they were quite loud.” Chaeyoung chuckled, “I didn’t want to embarrass them or anything so I pretended to be sleeping, but more people came and...I just couldn’t find the right timing.”

 

“Should have known it was too good to be true..Oh..” Lisa paused, her pager beeping loudly, “That’s me. I’ll see you guys later. Bye!” The girl ran off, leaving Chaeyoung with her family.

 

“Mommy how’d you know mom was up?” Ella asked after LIsa left.

 

“I just know her that well sweetie.” Jennie smiled at her daughter who rolled her eyes at this.

 

“But I’m still mom’s favorite.” Ella stuck her tongue out, before sitting down on Chaeyoung’s lap.

 

“This girl I…”

 

“Okay you two...what brings you here hm?” Chaeyoung intervened before the two began their little childish squabble.

 

“Auntie Lisa sent us this photo,” Ella showed Chaeyoung her phone, “And then I asked Mommy if we can visit you.”

 

“Ah I see.” Chaeyoung nodded, leaning her head on her daughter’s shoulder, shutting her eyes for a brief moment.

 

“Tired Rosie?” Jennie asked, frowning at the dark circles under Chaeyoung’s eyes.

 

“No..I’m good.” Chaeyoung smiled, opening her eyes but soon yawned after, “Okay...maybe a bit sleepy.” She chuckled.

 

“Mom why don’t you go home and rest first?”

 

“It’s okay princess. I’m only here for a few more hours. Once Dr. Nam is here, then I can go.”

 

“But..”Ella pouted.

 

“I’ll be fine sweetie, why don’t we go have a quick lunch before I check on my patients?”

 

“Okay.” Ella got off of Chaeyoung, already making her way to the hospital’s cafeteria.

 

“Ella, wait for us.” Jennie called out, which stopped the girl in her tracks.

 

“C’mon Love let’s eat.” Chaeyoung reached a hand out, which Jennie gladly took.

 

“Make sure you sleep when you get home today.”

 

“Mhm.” Chaeyoung nodded.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

Later that evening, much later than Chaeyoung anticipated, the blonde doctor finally made it home.

 

The lights were already off, and the house was quiet.

 

Quietly, Chaeyoung went to check-in on Ella, who was already in bed fast asleep. Kissing the girl’s forehead as a late goodnight, Chaeyoung made her way to the master bedroom. Like Ella, Jennie too was already fast asleep with her bedside lamp on, glasses perched on her nose, the book she was reading still in her hands.

 

“I must have kept you waiting.”

 

Walking towards her sleeping wife, Chaeyoung carefully took Jennie’s glasses off and the book in her hand. She placed these on the side table before carefully laying Jennie down and tucking her in. The girl stirred a bit, but thankfully didn’t wake.

 

Shutting the bedside lamp off, Chaeyoung made her way to their bathroom to prepare for bed.

 

It didn’t take Chaeyoung long to wash-up, she carefully slid into bed, trying not to wake Jennie, but as soon as Chaeyoung was under the covers, the brunette was quick to have arms wrapped around her wife, snuggling into her.

 

“You’re late.” Jennie mumbled, her eyes still closed.

 

“Did I wake you?” Chaeyoung asked, feeling bad for waking the girl up. It was already 1am.

 

“I was waiting for you, I must have dozed off.” Jennie opened her eyes to look Chaeyoung in her eyes.

 

“Sorry Love, I had a last minute surgery.”

 

“Yeah I figured, Wendy texted me and gave me a heads up.”

 

“Are you mad?”

 

“No.”

 

“But?”

 

“But, I’m worried. You’ve been working so much lately, barely resting.”

 

“I..”

 

“And then you still have Suzy hanging around you..”

 

“After all these years you still get jealous over her? I chose you didn’t I?” Chaeyoung chuckled, earning a pinch from her wife.

 

“I’ll never forget what she did at the gala.” Jennie huffed.

 

“The gala...the gala…” Chaeyoung was trying to remember.

 

“The first one we went to together.”

 

~flashback~

 

The Kim’s Annual Charity Gala is the event of the year. Not only is it an invite only gala, but it also boasts the highest charitable contribution by any event. The gala has helped many organizations, this year all the proceeds will go to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals International or (SPCA) a group that distributes veterinary supplies to animal welfare groups worldwide.

 

“The annual gala is a hit as always.” Jisoo looked around, arm looped around Lisa, who nodded in agreement.

 

“Well everyone here knows if they want to get invited again they have to be willing to shell out big bucks.” Seulgi nodded.

 

“Eat the rich huh.” Joy chuckled.

 

“Exactly.” Yeri smiled, watching as the number on the digital screen showed the current donation amount, “but you know that number will soar once Jen and fam show up.”

 

“Oh to see old men kissing up to Jendeuk. It’s great, especially when they try to showcase their sons to her.” Jisoo chuckled.

 

As the evening flowed, the main characters of tonight's event finally showed up. The Kim family is never late, except for their gala. Why? Simple, if they arrive on time people will leave earlier which means less donations, by arriving near the end, they build up the anticipation and the attendees will have more time to bid on the items being auctioned.

 

“Oh they’re here!” A reporter calls out as the Bentley rolls up by the red carpet. Mr. Lee steps out to open the door, Mr. Kim steps out first holding a hand for Mrs. Kim. Of course the cameras begin to flash.

 

“You ready?” Jennie looks over at the blonde.

 

“Let’s go.” Chaeyoung smiled, heading out first.

 

“Wait who’s that? It’s not Jennie.” The reporters began to murmur, but when Chaeyoung held a hand out to help Jennie out of the car, the flashes began to go crazy. All the reporters had one question in mind, Who is the blonde arriving with the Kims?

 

“See not too bad.” Jennie smiled, after they entered the ballroom.

 

“Yeah, except I may have lost my eyesight with all the flashes.” Chaeyoung chuckled, shutting her eyes for a moment.

 

“Don’t worry, those dark spots you see go away after a while. C’mon let’s go look for our friends before I get cornered.” Jennie smiled, dragging Chaeyoung with her to find the others, but of course as soon as Jennie began to walk around people began to approach her.

 

“Oh Ms. Kim good evening, you look lovely as always. I see the company’s year-end profits will beat last year’s record. Say, if I may can we chat abou…”

 

“I’m sorry Mr. Jo, I have matters that I must attend to. Excuse us.” Jennie interrupted the stout old man, dragging Chaeyoung away before he could reply.

 

“Ah Ms. Kim! You look beautiful tonight! I was just talking to your father an..”

 

“I’m sorry Mr. Young, I have an important matter to attend to. Excuse us.” Jennie once again interrupted, before dragging Chaeyoung away.

 

This happened for a while, people coming up to Jennie, trying to start a conversation.

 

“Someone’s popular.” Chaeyoung teased trying to ease the frown on Jennie’s face.

 

“They’re so annoying. Like no I don’t care about your business proposal and no I’m not interested in meeting your child. They should be more professional than this.” Jennie shook her head.

 

“Hey calm down, it’s fine.” Chaeyoung squeezed Jennie’s hand gently.

 

“Let’s just find our friends and try to enjoy the free food.”

 

“And drinks. The free food and drinks.” Chaeyoung added with a small laugh.

 

The duo walked around for a few more minutes until they finally found the others.

“Jeez you guys would choose the table furthest from the entrance.” Jennie grumbled, plopping on the chair next to Jisoo.

 

“We figured if we made you walk through the wolves to get to us, no one would bother you later.” Joy had a huge grin on her face.

 

“Tell me again why I invite you guys again.” Jennie deadpanned.

 

“Because you love us that’s why.”

 

“That’s debatable right now.”

 

“You say that, but you know you miss us. It’s been awhile since we all gathered together like this.” Seulgi looked at Jennie then at everyone around the table. For this first time in years, their friend group is complete.

 

“Yeah..it has.” Chaeyoung smiled.

 

The conversations flowed easily between the girls. They talked about anything and everything. It was great. It felt like the old days.

 

“Oh oh guess who’s heading our way.” Joy and Yeri began nudging Seulgi teasingly, the others followed the two’s line of sight and the smirks on their faces grew.

 

“Can’t believe you didn’t accompany your girl Seul.” Lisa shook her head teasingly.

 

“I told you guys we’re just friends!”

 

“Sure Seul that’s what they all say.” Jisoo replied, while giving Jennie and Chaeyoung a pointed look.

 

Before Suelgi can refute, the said girl had already arrived at their table.

 

“Hey Seul, hey guys.”

 

“Oh hey Hyun. Hi.” Seulgi was proud she didn’t stutter.

 

“Hey Joohyun.” The other girls greeted the girl with smiles.

 

Joohyun is a friend the girls met at the gala last year and clicked with, she hangs out with them if she can and Seulgi has the biggest crush on the girl.

 

“Here come sit here!.” Joy offered her seat next to Seulgi, but Joohyun shook her head no, “I’d love to sit with you guys, but my family from Australia is here too, so I’m keeping my cousin company.”

 

“Your cousin?” Jennie looked at Irene, squeezing Chaeyoung’s hand just a bit tighter.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Oh cool, where is she? We’d love to meet her.” Yeri beamed, completely unaware of the nervousness running down Chaeyoung’s spine.

 

“Uh…” Joohyung began to look around, “She was at our table, but she’s not there anymore.”

 

“How do you lose a whole adult Joohyun?” Jisoo chuckled.

 

“Okay in my defense, I told her to stay put.”

 

“She isn’t a dog.” Joy pipped in.

 

“It’s fine, I’ll just tex..”

 

“Joohyun there you are!” A voice called out, seeing who the person was Lisa’s eyes grew wide.

 

“Chong-ah...is that.”

 

“Yep that’s.” Chaeyoung nodded.

 

What a small world.

 

“Oh nevermind, speaking of the devil.” Joohyun smiled, pulling her cousin forward to introduce the girl, “Guys this is my cousin, Bae Suzy.”

 

“I knew I’d see Chae here, but Lisa too?!” Suzy chuckled.

 

“Bae Suzy...your Joohyun’s cousin??” Lisa was trying to process this information. Since it was something Chaeyoung never told her.

 

“We get that a lot.” Joohyun chuckled, “Anyways, how do you guys know each other?”

 

“Oh that! Joohyun remember I told you about Chaeng.”

 

“Chaeng..Chaeng..” Joohyun furrowed her brows, “AH! Chaeyoung your her?! Wait how?” Joohyun turned to the blonde, who already felt the weight of everyone’s stare.

 

“Suzy and I studied together and were fellows at the same hospital. She met Lisa a few times when she visited.”

 

“Ohhhh” the group nodded their heads, while Lisa was still somewhat in shock.

 

“Oh I remember! Chaeng’s that girl! Yeah that’s right you guys are dating!!” Joohyun looked at Suzy then at Chaeyoung, “Goodness I’m the worst, what kind of cousin am I to forget.” Joohyun laughed alone, while the others around Chaeyoung were looking at the blonde with piercing eyes, especially the girl that’s been sticking to the blonde like glue all night.

 

“And you Bae Suzy, how dare you not properly introduce her to the family? Wait is this why you suddenly wanted to move to Seoul?”

 

“Okay one question at a time Joohyun.” Suzy laughed, “But to answer you…”

 

“Joohyun dear there you are!” Joohyun’s dad showed up, and the others stood up and showed their respects to the man who motioned for them to sit, “I was looking for you dear, your mother was wondering if you have her phone.” Mr. Bae chuckled.

 

“Oh yeah, I have it here dad.” Joohyun handed her father the phone.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Oh dad, wait, before you go Suzy has someone she wants to introduce to you..actually maybe we should have uncle or auntie here.” Joohyun spoke, totally oblivious to the glaring dumpling.

 

“Wait he should be here.” Mr. Bae quickly called his brother who came over to the table quickly.

 

“Oh Dr. Manoban and Dr. Park you’re both here.” The man smiled.

 

“Dr. Bae, good evening.” Chaeyoung and Lisa stood up and bowed towards their hospital’s CEO.

 

“Anyways uncle, Suzy here has a very important someone sitting at this table.” Joohyun gently nudged her cousin teasingly.

 

“Joohyun...its..”

 

“Ayy it’s okay...go on.”

 

“Oh are you finally going to formally introduce Dr. Park to me?” Suzy’s dad chuckled lightly.

 

“Dad?!?” Suzy turned to her father with wide eyes.

 

“Of course I know about your relationship even in Melbourne, and the rumors about you two at the hospital have been circulating. I was waiting for you to finally tell me.”

 

“Dad it’s..”

 

“It’s okay, don’t be shy. I already approve of Dr. Park as my future daughter-in-law. She’s very capable as a doctor, the staff, and patients all adore her. And I know how she takes care of you too.” Dr. Bae looked at Chaeyoung with a nod of approval.

 

While Jennie’s grip on Chaeyoung’s hand tightened to the point where the blonde was starting to lose feeling.

 

“Dr. Bae,” Chaeyoung stood up, “I do care for your daughter..but..” Chaeyoung looked at Suzy with apologetic eyes, “I’m sorry but we’re no longer together.”

 

“Oh…” Joohyun looked sorry and Suzy was trying to keep her composure.

 

An awkward silence followed.

 

“Well that’s too bad then...but that won’t change anything Dr. Park.”

 

“I..thank you.” Chaeyoung smiled at the older man.

 

“But if you two ever decide to rekindle, tell me and I’ll set the wedding up right away.” Dr. Bae laughed, easing the tension a bit, before he and his brother excused themselves.

 

“You guys broke up I didn’t know.. I’m so sorry.” Joohyun apologized to Chaeyoung and Suzy, but the girl just shook her head and ran off.

 

“I...it’s okay Joohyun..but I should go talk to her.”

 

“Rosie.” Jennie grabbed onto Chaeyoung’s arm.

 

“I’ll come back. Don’t worry.” Chaeyoung smiled, before running after Suzy.

 

~End Flashback~

 

“Ah that! Love, that was so innocent, and we cleared it up didn’t we?”

 

“That’s not what I’m talking about Chaeyoung.”

 

“Then???”

 

“The rooftop.” Jennie spoke up and Chaeyoung felt a rush of nervousness go through her body.

 

~Flashback~

 

“It’s cold up here.” Chaeyoung spoke up, placing her coat on Suzy’s shoulders, before standing next to the girl on the rooftop.

 

“How’d you know where I went?” Suzy asked, her gaze still at the view in front of her.

 

“I just knew.”

 

“Chaeyoung...we were on a break.” Suzy spoke up, turning her head to finally look at the taller girl, “A pause babe...not a stop.”

 

“...I know..”

 

“I asked you to wait for me...and you told me you would.”

 

“I know.. I know I did, but...I..”

 

“I was going to ask you..” Suzy pulled a red velvet box out of her purse and handed it to Chaeyoung, “Suzy…” Chaeyoung didn’t have the heart to open that box.

 

“That’s why I came here...that’s why I asked you to wait..because when I come back for you, we can have our forever. Can’t you choose me Chaeyoung? Please?” Suzy asked, cupping Chaeyoung’s cheeks.

 

“Suzy please..” Chaeyoung held the girls hands that were resting on her cheeks, “Don’t make this harder than it already is.”

 

“Then just choose me. We were happy Chaeng and we were great together.”

 

“Suzy…” Chaeyoung began but Suzy interrupted her by kissing her lips. Chaeyoung was stunned, letting the girl kiss her for a bit before pulling back.

 

“Chaeyoung…”

 

“Suzy I’m sorry… I love you..you know I love you, but it’s not the same as before. I..I’m in love with someone else..please let me go.” Chaeyoung asked, wiping the tears that were falling from Suzy’s eyes.

 

“It’s Jennie right.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I know it’s her.” Suzy sniffled, taking a step back from the blonde, “She was the girl you were in love with before right? The one that hurt you.”

 

“Suzy.”

 

“You don’t have to hide it Chae...I know it’s her...it’s obvious with the way you look at her.” Suzy turned away, unable to look at the blonde anymore.

 

“Yes..it’s her.” Chaeyoung admitted.

 

“She broke your heart before Chaeyoung.”

 

“I know and I’ll willingly let her do it again if it means we get to have our chance.”

 

“If she breaks your heart again, I won’t give up easily like this.” Suzy forced a smile, “I love you Park Chaeyoung and if she ever lets you go again, I am going to fight for you and win you back. But for now, I’ll concede. She makes you happy and I can see that. I guess I was just hoping that maybe you’d still come back to me.”

 

“I’m sorry Suzy.”

 

“Yeah me too.” Suzy nodded, before handing Chaeyoung her coat back and leaving the girl on the rooftop.

 

~End Flashback~

 

“She kissed you and you let her. May I remind you that it was literally like a week after we officially got together.”

 

“Jennie..”

 

“And I waited for you to tell me what happened but you never did.”

 

“I’m sorry...I should have told you, but I didn’t know how to bring it up. I couldn’t exactly be like ‘Hey by the way Suzy planned on proposing before we officially ended things… and she also kissed me.’ now could I?”

 

“Not like that duh, but you should have said something.”

 

“Alright okay okay, it’s my fault. Stop sulking. It’s the past, it’s over. Let’s just sleep hmm?” Chaeyoung tried to end this conversation. Honestly, she’s clueless to why this conversation led to that day.

 

“Fine, just because I know you're tired too. But I still don’t like her being around you.” Jennie pouted, snuggling into Chaeyoung’s embrace.

 

“Hmm...now sleep love.” Chaeyoung hummed, kissing the top of Jennie’s head.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

“He’s so cute. How old is he.” Chaeyoung squealed petting the husky, while the owner looked at the girl with heart eyes already.

 

“He’s 1.” She smiled, bending down next to Chaeyoung, “His name is Tom.”

 

“Awww we have a puppy at home his name is Hank...omo together our dogs are Tom Hank.” Chaeyoung laughed loudly.

 

“Yeah I guess that’s right. Hey maybe we can take our dogs out together to a dog park sometime and maybe grab some coffee or something.” The girl decided to shoot her shot.

“Mom.”

 

A familiar voice called out to Chaeyoung before the girl could respond to the stranger’s question.

 

“We were looking for you.” Ella came up to Chaeyoung.

 

The family was out getting flowers before making a very important visit, but Chaeyoung wandered off without telling Jennie or Ella.

 

“Ah sorry… I got distracted.” The blonde chuckled.

 

“So about grabbing coffee together.” The strange girl spoke up again.

 

“Coffee? Together?” Ella looked at her mom and then at the stranger, “Do you know my mom?”

 

“Ah no, we just met. I was just asking if your mom would like to grab some coffee together and maybe take our dogs out to the park. If you want you can come as well.” The stranger offered, hoping it’ll get her in the young girl’s good graces.

 

“I don’t think mommy will let us. But thanks for the offer. C’mon mom, let’s go.” Ella replied, bowing politely before grabbing Chaeyoung and dragging her back into the flower shop.

 

“I’m telling mommy.” Ella huffed.

 

“It’s not like I was gonna say yes, Ells.” Chaeyoung chuckled, wrapped an arm around her daughter’s shoulder.

 

“I know, but still.” Ella stopped and glared up at her mom, “I don’t like it.” She pouted.

 

“You are definitely your mother’s daughter. Don’t worry sweetie.” Chaeyoung hugged Ella, “I promised you didn’t I? That I won’t ever leave you or your mommy.” She whispered in the little girl’s ear. She knows Ella gets extra sensitive on this day.

 

“You can’t leave me okay mom.” Ella hugged Chaeyoung tighter.

 

“Promise. Now let’s go find your mommy before she sends the military out looking for us.” Chaeyoung jokes.

 

It didn’t take long for Chaeyoung and Ella to find Jennie, she was currently looking at the hydrangeas.

 

“Mommy.” Ella called out to Jennie who smiled at her daughter and then to Chaeyoung.

 

“Where’d you run off this time Rosie?” Jennie asked, intertwining her hand with Chaeyoung’s hand.

 

“I saw a pretzel vendor.” Chaeyoung smiled sheepishly.

 

“Rosie we just had lunch.”

 

“It was just one.” Chaeyoung pouted, “These are pretty.” Chaeyoung changed the topic.

 

“Should we go with Hydrangeas this year then?” Jennie asked.

 

“Let’s ask Ella.”

 

“Hey baby, what do you think of these flowers?”

 

“I like them mommy. They’re pretty.” Ella smiled.

 

“Okay let’s get them then.” Jennie smiled.

 

“Alright, I’ll go pay. You guys stay put.” Chaeyoung smiled, walking towards the counter.

 

“Hi, how may I help you.” The florist smiled.

 

“Hello, I’d like to purchase a bouquet of white hydrangeas please.”

 

“Of course.” The florist smiled, walking over to grab the flowers, and arranging them nicely, “Here you go.” She smiled.

 

“Thanks, uhm how much do I owe you?” Chaeyoung asked, since the girl was just staring.

 

“Oh it’s on the house. I’m a huge fan of yours Dr. Park…” The florist trailed off, “Uhm if you don’t mind can I take a photo with you.”

 

“Uhh..sure I guess. But still let me pay for the flowers.” Chaeyoung agreed.

 

The girl smiled, grabbing her phone and taking a quick selfie with Chaeyoung, “It’s fine, the photo is more than enough payment.” the girl chuckled lightly

 

“I..okay then.” Chaeyoung nodded awkwardly, after taking a photo with the girl, flowers in hand, “Thanks.”

 

“No thank you Dr. Park. I hope you come again.” The girl smiled, reaching a hand out which Chaeyoung shook and of course the girl blushed at the contact.

 

“Mom, not again.” Ella groaned, with a glaring momma bear behind her.

 

“Are you done Hon?” Jennie asked, clinging onto her wife immediately and throwing the florist a glare.

 

“Yes I’m done,” Chaeyoung smiled towards her family, before turning around towards the florists reading her name tag, “Thanks again uhm Hyeri.” Chaeyoung smiled before being dragged out by her favorite girls.

 

“That’s the second one today mom.” Ella huffed.

 

“Second?” Jennie raised a questioning brow.

 

“Yeah mommy, there was another lady getting close to mom earlier.”

 

“Oh really now.” Jennie turned to Chaeyoung.

 

“In my defense Ella did a great job of turning that woman down and the florist wasn’t trying anything.”

 

“Good job sweetie.” Jennie high-fived her daughter. The two sometimes argue over Chaeyoung’s attention, but when it comes to the blonde’s admirers they’re on the same side.

 

“Of course mommy, I wouldn’t want someone to take mom away from me.” Ella jumped onto Chaeyoung, “Oh baby you are getting too big, pretty soon I wouldn’t be able to carry you like this.” Chaeyoung chuckled.

 

“Ella get down, you are no longer a kid for Rosie to be carrying you.” Jennie scolded her daughter.

 

“No way mommy. You’re just jealous cause you’re too heavy for mom to carry.” Ella stuck her tongue out at her mother.

 

“Rosie carries me all the time thank you very much. Now get down, don’t make me ask twice Ella Kim.” Jennie’s voice was stern, and Ella knew better than to push her mother. So the girl did get down. Jennie was about to cling onto Chaeyoung again, but Ella made it a point to get in between her two moms. Which she did by holding one of Jennie’s hands and one of Chaeyoung’s.

 

“Let’s go.” Ella smiled at her two moms while Jennie chuckled at her daughter’s antics.

 

~ ~

 

“Alright ready?” Jennie asked, turning to look back at Ella in the back seat.

 

“Mhm.” Ella nodded, grabbing the flowers and opening the door.

 

“Okay, let’s go.”

 

The family got down and went to a specific spot they go to every year.

 

“Hi Dad.” Ella bent down and placed the flowers on the headstone, “Happy birthday.”

 

Jennie and Chaeyoung watched from behind as Ella took her time with her dad. It’s been a tradition for them to visit Jongin’s resting place on his birthday, rather than his death anniversary.

 

“She’s really growing up isn’t she.” Chaeyoung whispered to Jennie, who had her head resting on Chaeyoung’s shoulder.

 

“Yeah...she is.”

 

“You’re doing great with her you know?”

 

“Why are you talking like you haven’t done anything.”

 

“I don’t know.” Chaeyoung shrugged.

 

“Well just to let you know Rosie, you are doing great as her mom too. You’ve done so much for her..for us..especially when she had to go through losing Jongin.”

 

~Flashback~

 

“Why don’t you just get the transplant?” Jennie asked.

 

It’s been 2 months and Ella has gotten very close to her dad...but Jongin’s health is obviously deteriorating.

 

“The chances of me dying on the table are high. I already know there’s no more hope for me. I’m just glad I got to spend some time with our daughter.”

 

“Are you sure? I’m sure Rosie can do something.”

 

“Chaeyoung already tried talking to me. But I’ve made up my mind Jen. I just want to spend time with my daughter. Make some memories with her.”

 

“So when are you going to tell her?”

 

“I don’t want her to know...I just want her to remember me smiling and healthy. I know how to hide it so she won’t notice.”

 

“Jongin.”

 

“Please.”

 

“Fine, but I’ll be sending a health personnel whenever Ella is with you just in case. They’ll be following discreetly but they’ll be there.”

 

“Okay.”

 

~ ~

 

“Mommy what’s wrong with Dad?” Ella asked.

 

The girl was having her usual weekend with Jongin, when the man suddenly collapsed. It;s been 2 days but he still hasn’t woken up.

 

“Ella.” Jennie sighed, not knowing how to tell her daughter.

 

“Is he sick?” Ella asked, holding onto her father’s hand.

 

“You see baby…” Jennie bent down, taking Ella’s hands in hers as she explained what’s wrong with her dad.

 

“Is he never going to wake up then?” Ella’s eyes began to well with tears, “I didn’t know he was sick mommy..”

 

“Ella..” Jennie hugged her daughter, comforting the girl like a mother should.

 

The two stayed like that until Ella’s cries subsided and the girl eventually fell asleep in her mother’s arms. Tired from crying.

 

“Is she okay now?” Chaeyoung asked, walking into the room. She walked in earlier, but didn’t want to disturb the two.

 

“She will be.” Jennie replied, Ella’s hair, wishing that she can just take the pain away.

 

“Are you?” Chaeyoung asked, sitting next to her girlfriend.

 

“I don’t know. Am I okay Rosie?” Jennie asked, finally allowing her tears to fall.

 

“Jen..” Chaeyoung wrapped her arms around Jennie, she always hates it when the girl cries, “I know you want me to tell you that I can help him, that Ella can still have more time with him...but I can’t. I’m so sorry that I can’t. I tried, believe me...but the cancer has spread to his other organs. There’s nothing we can do but to make sure he goes peacefully.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Mommy look we made bracelets in Art today.” Ella showed the rope bracelets to Jennie.

 

“Wow those are really pretty Sweetie.”

 

“Yep, I made 4...one for all of us.” Ella smiled, holding onto the blue one a little tighter than the others.

 

“Let’s go home? I think you’re dad is waiting for you so we can have dinner.” Jennie smiled and Ella nodded.

 

It’s been 3 weeks since Jongin was released from the hospital. The heart wrenching conversation he had with Ella after waking up was something Jennie never thought her daughter would have with Jongin, but it still happened. Jennie was just glad that Chaeyoung was there as their pillar.

 

So now, Jongin is currently at the Kim’s estate where Mr. Kim allowed him to stay so that Ella can at least spend a few more minutes with him. There, he’s on hospice care with Chaeyoung and the Kim’s private medical team residing over his care.

 

“Dad, look what we made today!” Ella smiled, sitting on the edge of the bed, careful not to accidentally budge the IV drip on Jongin’s arm.

 

“Wow that’s so pretty baby. Are you giving it to me?” Jongin smiled, while Ella tied the bracelet around her dad’s wrist.

 

“Mhm, I made one for you...me, mommy, and Auntie Rosie.” Ella explained, while pulling out the other bracelets.

 

“Thank you princess. I love it. I’m sure you’re mommy and Aunt Rosie love them as well.” Jongin smiled, patting his little girl on the top of her head.

 

~ ~

 

As another month passed by, Jongin had a feeling that his time was coming. He’s gotten so weak and he’s barely even able to stay awake for 4 hours in a day.

 

“Chaeyoung.” Jongin spoke up, while Chaeyoung was checking on his vitals.

 

“What’s up? Are you feeling pain anywhere?”

 

“No...I’m comfortable.” Jongin shook his head. Frowning, Chaeyoung took a seat on the chair next to Jongin’s bed, “What’s going on?”

 

“I just want to say I’m sorry again for everything and thank you..for taking care of them. For loving Ella and her mother more than I ever could or rather had the chance to.”

 

“The past is a long time ago Jongin, I’ve forgiven you...As for Jennie and Ella...I love them both very much. Even if Jennie decided to choose someone else I’d still love them. I’ve been by Jennie’s side for a long time...and I don’t think I’ll ever stop.” Chaeyoung smiled, patting Jongin’s arm.

 

“I know Park. You have my daughter and Jennie wrapped around your little finger.” Jongin chuckled weakly.

 

“I think it’s the other way around.” Chaeyoung joked.

“I know I don’t have the right to ask, but promise me you’ll never leave them no matter what.”

 

Chaeyoung smiled, she understood now, why Jongin suddenly brought this topic up, “Don’t worry about them. I’ll never leave them and I’ll love them with all the love I can give.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Ella and Jennie should be home soon..”

 

“I know... I’m waiting for them.”

 

When Jennie and Ella got home, Chaeyoung immediately cornered Jennie in Ella’s room grabbing her pajamas, while the little girl bathed.

 

“I don’t think he’ll last the night.”

 

“What?” Jennie looked at Chaeyoung, speaking softly in case Ella hears.

 

“Go talk to him...I’ll prepare Ella.” Chaeyoung grabbed the clothes from Jennie’s hands.

 

Nodding, Jennie stepped out and went to Jongin’s room.

 

“How are you feeling today?” She asked, trying to keep the air light.

 

“Comfortable.” Jongin smiled.

 

“That’s good.” Jennie nodded. Usually Jennie would leave after checking in on Jongin, but she knew Chaeyoung was right, because tonight Jongin stopped her from leaving.

 

“Can we talk..it’ll be quick, I promise.” Jongin asked.

 

“Okay.” Jennie agreed, sitting on the same chair Chaeyoung sat on earlier.

 

“I’m sorry again, for everything in the past and also thank you for letting me know our daughter. She’s so beautiful and I just know she’ll grow into a wonderful woman like her mother.”

 

“Jongin.”

 

“Just listen to me first.” Jongin smiled, “I know that you will take care of Ella and give her all the love for the both of us, but I know that you’ll need help too. And we both know the only person you will ever allow that privilege is the gorgeous blonde doctor.” Jongin laughed at the little glare Jennie gave him when he described Chaeyoung, “Don’t let her go Jen. She loves you and Ella.”

 

“You know I’ll never let her go. I love her too much, I can lose everything but Ella and Rosie.” Jennie paused, “And Jongin, about our past..I’m sorry too. I should have told you about Ella sooner...I just, I didn’t want to lose her. She was my lifeline after Rosie and I had drifted apart. She was the only reason why I smiled.”

 

“It’s okay Jen...I feel like if you had told me earlier, it would have just caused more heartache for the two of us. I’m happy with the memories I have with her.”

 

“Thank you for making her happy, for being a good dad.” Jennie nodded, lifting her head up to contain her tears.

 

“Can I talk to her now? Privately.” Jongin asked

 

“Yeah, she should be done with her bath, I’ll go grab her.”

 

“Ella..your dad wants to talk to you.” Jennie forced a smile, hugging her daughter tightly.

 

“It’s okay mommy...I know.” Ella hugged her mom back just as tightly, before running off to see her dad.

 

“What did you tell her?” Jennie asked, as the two waited in front of Jongin’s door.

 

“I just told her to tell everything she wants to tell her dad today. No matter what it is. I think...in her own way she knows.” Chaeyoung smiled, holding Jennie’s hand tightly, “Don’t worry..Me, your parents, our friends will be here for the both of you...and we’ll all be here for Ella.”

 

Meanwhile, inside the room, Ella was sitting by her dad’s side. He had an arm wrapped around her shoulder.

 

“What do you think about sleeping here with me tonight?” Jongin asked.

 

“But what about the wires...I don’t want to accidentally nudge them…” Ella looked down.

 

“Don’t worry I’m sure your Auntie Rosie can figure out a way.” Jongin smiled.

 

“Okay then!” Ella beamed.

 

“I’ll ask her in a bit, but for now I wanna talk to my precious princess. How was class today?” Jongin asked, smiling as Ella told him everything about her day.

 

“I’m glad you’re making more friends. But make sure you pick good ones okay?”

 

“Of course, I want friends like my Aunties.” Ella smiled.

 

“Yeah your Aunties are definitely good friends.”

 

“Ella...Dad wants you to know that no matter what happens I will always be with you. I won’t ever leave you, even if I’m not right next to you. I’ll be here. I want you to always be the brave and kind girl that you are. To treat your mommy and Auntie Rosie well. I know you can do that for me right?”

 

“Yes dad.” Ella nodded.

 

“That’s my good little girl.”

 

“Dad…” Ella began, “Auntie Rosie told me to talk to you today. To just keep talking about anything that pops into my mind..and I don’t really know what to say...my tummy feels weird and I don’t know what it is, but I feel like I need to say thank you dad...for playing with me, spending time with me, making me happy, loving me...thank you for being my dad. I love you.” Ella hugged her dad tightly, and Jongin couldn’t stop the tears from flowing down his face.

 

“I love you too princess so much.” Jongin kissed the top of Ella’s head.

 

That evening after Ella was deeply asleep in her dad’s arms...with Chaeyoung and Jennie sitting by the bedside, Jongin peacefully passed.

 

~End Flashback~

 

“Mom has a lot of admirers dad, you were right about that. I get why mommy is so clingy and protective towards her.” Ella spoke with a cheerful tone, talking as if Jongin was really there with her, “I wonder if I should tell mommy about the other moms at school who keep eyeing mom…” Ella chuckled...before she turned serious, “I miss you dad..but I know you’re still with me.” Ella placed a hand over her heart, before saying goodbye and turning back to her mothers.

 

“Hey you done?” Jennie asked. Ella nodded, hugging her and then reaching out for Chaeyoung to join into the hug, “I love you guys.” The girl whispered.

 

“We love you too.” The two replied together.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/N: A very quick epilogue to tie some of the loose strands. This was very rushed...but I also think it kind of closes it out well. Let me know what you guys think and any ideas for the next shot