Chapter 4

High school Sweet Hearts | Jenlisa

Finished with yet another practice, Lisa walked to the locker room and slumped onto one of the benches. "Tired captain?" Momo, one of the basketball players asked. Lisa nodded and placed her elbows on her knees, running her fingers through her hair. 

"Ay, cheer up Lisa." Jisoo patted her back and turned around to change. "We're gonna do just fine in the game. You're gonna do just fine." The raven haired said as she took her shirt off. 

Lisa hummed and nodded. "Sorry, just stressed for no reason." She stood up and began to change as well. "So, my place tonight? I've got this sick new game yesterday." Jisoo said closing her locker and picking up her gym bag. 

Lisa sighed and slipped on a hoodie. "I wish, but I gotta start studying for my English test. Plus my mom might be home today." Jisoo winced. "Yikes, Mama Manoban." She said and Lisa playfully punched her in the arm. "Shut up." 

"What, she's one scary woman, just saying." The older girl chuckled and headed out of the locker room. "See you tomorrow." Lisa called after her. 

After getting changed, Lisa headed on out herself. 

Walking outside, she was surprised to see a familiar brunette stand with her head down. Lisa walked over to her and noticed she was reading a book. 

"Hey." The captain said, startling Jennie who almost dove into the book. "Oh, hey." Jennie said as she raised her head to see Lisa. A light blush coated her cheeks and she hurriedly put her book away into her bag. 

"You can continue reading if you want, sorry to bother you." Lisa walked closer and smiled. Jennie turned her head to face the almost desert parking lot. "It's alright." She said quietly. 

She didn't know why, but something about Lisa made contract and her heart leap. 

"So, what are you doing here so late?" Lisa asked, trying to make some conversation. Jennie fixed her glasses. "Chess club." She murmured and Lisa nodded in understanding. "Cool. I never really got chess thought, guess I'm not that smart." The younger said with a laugh. 

Jennie looked over at her. "You're smart. Besides it's not about whether or not you're smart, it's all about strategy." She said. Lisa nodded. "You should teach me sometime." Lisa suggested and Jennie's cheeks went red again. 

"Is your ride here yet?" Jennie shook her head. "My dad was supposed to pick me up, but it seems he forgot. I'll just walk home." The brunette stuffed her hands in her pockets and moved, but Lisa spoke up. 

"I can give you a ride on my bike. It'll be fine." She jogged over and pulled the bike off of the bike rack. Lisa sat on it and rang the bell. "All aboard the Manoban express." She joked. Jennie laughed and walked up behind her. "Are you sure? You probably are already tired from practice, and you're going to have to pedal my extra weight too." 

Lisa looked over her shoulder and smiled. "It's fine. Besides, you're probably tired from practice as well, so hop on." 

"You think chess is a sport?" Jennie asked in shock at what Lisa said. Lisa gave her a weird look. "Of course chess is a sport. And I must say, it is hard." Jennie furrowed her brows. "But you don't do anything remotely athletic in chess. And it's a nerd's sport." Jennie added the last part quietly. 

Lisa's face softened at that. "Hey, in chess your brain is doing all the exercising, so I'd consider that a sport. Who cares if the others don't. And chess isn't a nerd's sport." Lisa ran her fingers through her bangs to fix them since the wind blew them wildly. "Does she not realize that she's melting me?" Jennie mentally complained watching Lisa carefully rearrange them. 

Seeing no more excuses, Jennie carefully stood on the back axels and held on tightly to Lisa's shoulders. Lisa gave Jennie one last blinding smile before taking off. 

The brunette squeaked as she felt the wind rush into her face and leaned onto Lisa for support. "Hold tight." Lisa warned before taking a turn and speeding up. "Ah! Lisa!" Jennie squealed as she heard Lisa's laughter in the air.

Hooking her arms around her neck, Jennie shut her eyes as she placed her head on top of Lisa's. The basketball player laughed even louder at this action. 

When the bike finally came to a stop, Jennie cautiously opened one of her eyes and saw part of her house. "Oh thank God." She sighed in relief and opened both of her eyes. She finally realized her position and blushed as she immediately takes her arms of off Lisa and jumped off. 

"T-Thanks for the ride." Lisa smiled widely. "No problem. But I didn't know you were that scared, my ear drums almost burst from your shrieking." Lisa winced and put her hand over her ear, feigning pain. 

Jennie blushed and opened and closed multiple times, trying to say something. When nothing could come out, she settled for an abrupt wave and ran off to her house. 

Lisa leaned onto the handlebars and had a soft smile on her face. "Cute." 

"Jennie and Lisa sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" Ella yelled out obnoxiously as she jumped on the couch. The brunette groaned and pushed her little sister away as she craned her head to see the television. "Ella, move." Jennie said seriously as she tried to catch up on the latest episodes. 

"And stop singing that!" Jennie said with red cheeks. "Blech!" Ella jumped onto Jennie's lap and did a funny face. Jennie groaned once more and pushed her off of her lap. "You're so immature." The older sister said. 

"You're so immature!" Ella copied. "Stop copying me." "Stop copying me."  

"Mom!" Jennie yelled, frustrated. "Mom!" Ella mimicked in a high pitched, whiny voice. 

"Girls, stop fighting please." Chaerin said as she set the plates on the table. "Otherwise you both lose privileges." 

"But Ella started it!" Jennie complained. 

"Girls, girls. Let's calm down and enjoy a nice family dinner now." Her dad said as he appeared in the doorway. "Honey." Chaerin gave him a peck on the cheek and went back to setting the table. 

"Dad, you were supposed to pick me up today." Jennie said as she got up from the couch and gave him a hug. "I know, I know. But my boss didn't let me leave early. Sorry sweetheart. I'll make it up to you." He leaned down to give a kiss on Jennie's forehead. 

"Daddy!" Ella yelled as she leaped from the couch and luckily her dad caught her. "Oh, my princess!" "Alright, let's eat now." Jennie's mom said as she placed the last of the food down. 

"So, did anything special happen today?" 

Lisa looked up from her plate and looked at her mom, who finally came home today. She pursed her lips and shook her head, going back to swirling pasta on her fork. 

"Really? Because your principal emailed me and he told me something special." Her mother put down her fork and knife and looked across the table. Lisa clenched her hand and sighed. "I'm getting a tutor." 

"That's it? You aren't going to tell me about that fact that you're failing! Lisa it's barely the beginning of the year, how can you do that bad in school?" Her mom rose her voice. Lisa dropped her utensils and stood up. 

"Excuse me." She turned around, but her mother spoke up again. "You are not excused young lady. You will sit down and listen to what I have to say." Lisa turned back around. "I don't want to hear the same sentences again, I get it. I'm an idiot and stupid. Thanks mom." Her mom stood up and approached her. 

"You aren't an idiot, Lisa. You're have such a great mind, if you put it to use. And it won't happen if you're constantly playing that game." She cupped her daughter's face in her hands. "Lisa, in the future they won't care if you were the captain of some peewee basketball team, they want someone who actually has some useful skills." 

"Well I care mom. I want to play basketball." Lisa protested and backed away. "Besides, what say do you have in this? You're away half the time anyways. I bet you only came back because you heard I'm failing." She muttered under her breath. 

"Go to your room." Her mom ordered with a clenched jaw. 

"Gladly." Lisa backed away and headed up the stairs. She closed the door behind her and sat down at her desk, staring at unreadable math equations. 

She frowned and picked up the mini basketball beside her, shooting it into the toy hoop that was hung above her door.

"I am an idiot." Lisa muttered. 

Hearing her phone buzz, Lisa rummaged through her messy table to find it. Once she picked it up, she read the message on the screen. 

 

"Tutoring session after school on Thursday? 🙂" 

 

Jennie Kim ✍️

 

Lisa smiled seeing her text.

She stood up and fell back on her bed, not caring about the mess on that. 

 

"Roger that :)"

 

Lisa waited patiently for the reply, to not find any. She sighed and exited, looking through other unread messages. 

Seeing a few from Yeri, Lisa shook her head. "When will she get the hint?" Lisa said reading through her messages. 

Lisa turned off her phone and tossed it aside. She got herself off the bed and took off her clothes, hopping into the shower before she went to sleep. 

"Wooooh!!" The cafeteria burst into loud cheers as the jock chugged down the entire can of Red Bull. "Whooo!" He yelled and pumped his chest out in celebration. 

Lisa frowned and shook her head at his antics. "Calm down, Jungkook." She said and bit into her slice of pizza. Jungkook smiled and slid next to her. 

"Sorry bout that." He apologized and threw his arm over her shoulder. "So, mind telling me which girl you've wooed this time?" He asked as he reached for her pizza and took a bite. 

"There is no girl. And don't steal my food." The basketball player said. Jungkook rolled his eyes. "Please, you're telling me that you just decided to not go to the pre game party today just because you didn't want too?" He asked. 

Lisa nodded. "That's correct. It's not because I have a new fling or whatever." She snatched the slice back and ate the rest. "But I will definitely be at the after party. Because we will definitely win." She said confidently and crossed her arms. 

Jungkook rose one of his eyebrows. "Alright, miss cocky. I bet that I will win one for the team as well. Football season is right around the corner." Lisa chuckled. 

"Damn..." The jock murmured as he saw a figure enter the cafeteria. Lisa smirked. "Why? You like what you see?" She teased. Jungkook retracted his arm and nodded dumbly. "Yep. Me likey. Bye." He said and abruptly stood up, heading his way over to the girl who had caught his eye.

The captain rolled her eyes at his antics. She lazily swept her vision over the cafeteria, bored of being alone. 

She sighed and let her head fall back, bur immediately brought it upright and turned around as she saw who was seated on the table behind her. 

Jennie Kim. 

Lisa got up and went over to see Jennie with another girl. Lisa didn't know her name, but she'll surely find out. 

"Hey there." She said as she stood in front of them both, mainly looking towards Jennie. The two girls stopped their conversation, staring in awe as the most popular girl in school came up to them. 

"H-Hey, Lisa." Jennie snapped out of her trance first, and smiled. Lisa smiled back and gestured towards the seat, the brunette nodded her head rapidly and Lisa took it as a sign to sit. 

"Soooo" Lisa dragged on, suddenly realizing the awkward air around them. "Do you have a ride home today? Because I was thinking that I can give you one again." 

"Again?" She heard the girl beside Jennie speak for the first time. "Actually I already-" "No! She doesn't have a ride. She'll love you ride on your bike. I'm Nayeon by the way, Jennie's best friend." She stood up and shaked Lisa's hand enthusiastically. 

"O-Oh. Okay." Lisa said, taking back from the sudden burst of energy. "Alright, well I'll see you after school then. Bye Jennie." The younger said, standing up and waving goodbye before walking off.

"Hey, why'd you do that?" Jennie said to Nayeon. "I have a ride! It's you!" She said. Nayeon rolled her eyes. "Girl, you stupid." She commented. "The Lisa Manoban offered to take you home, and you want to miss that opportunity. Also what is all this about giving a ride again? I was not informed about that." Nayeon said seriously. 

Jennie sighed and continued to fill her in on what happened. She seemed to be doing a lot of that lately.