Chapter 12

High school Sweet Hearts | Jenlisa

AN:

Happy Late Halloween! 

Ps. Just think of that KIA racing ad for this chapter ;)

≈ 

"Grab your ticket to enter this year's Halloween contest!" 

Jennie stopped and turned to see a table and Park Chaeyoung sitting behind it. 

"Hey you! Come and get a ticket for the contest!" Some other girl who was standing beside the table called out to her. She walked over, and recognized the person sitting to Chaeyoung's left. Yeri. 

Her appearance made Jennie's stomach queasy. She couldn't help but think of the last encounter she had with her in the bathroom a few weeks back. She was never one for drama or for arguments. Was that what it was? An argument? A better word for that was a confrontation. Either way, Jennie had never experienced something like that before, so she had no idea what to do about it. The brunette made eye contact for a split second, but looked down on the table. 

She grabbed a ticket, and was ready to get out the hell out of the vicinity. 

Jennie may be naive, but she wasn't an idiot. She knew that Yeri was obviously crushing on Lisa, and that she hadn't had much luck, thanks to Jennie. But it wasn't her fault that Lisa started to court her, right? 

And then there was the matter of Park Chaeyoung. And she was confusing as hell. Some days Jennie thought she hated her, other days it looked like she liked her, and sometimes it seemed that she didn't even know of her existence. 

"Hey Jennie." She heard her name called out and she reluctantly looked up to face Chaeyoung. "Are you coming to the Halloween Bash? It's at Lisa's place." She asked. Jennie furrowed her brows. "She said that it would be a small gathering, not a party." 

Yeri scoffed from beside her. "Please, everyone knows that the biggest party of the year is Halloween at Lisa's. She said and flipped her hair over her shoulder. "Last year was very..." She trailed off with a smirk and looked directly into Jennie's eyes. "unforgettable." Yeri spoke just above a whisper. 

Jennie clenched her fists at her side and willed herself to take a deep breath. Yeri was only trying to get under her nerves, and she wasn't going to let her do that. 

"It must have been amazing." Jennie smiled forcibly and inhaled sharply. "It sure was." Yeri said and leaned forward on the desk, trying to get closer to Jennie. She was about to say more, but a hand on her shoulder stopped her. 

"We'll see you at the party then. Bye Jennie." Park Chaeyoung said and pulled Yeri so her back was resting against the chair again.

The brunette nodded, mentally thanking Chaeyoung and spinning around, walking away from them. 

"What was that?" Yeri asked as Jennie left. Chaeyoung rolled her eyes. "You've got to stop trying to intimidate her." She said and Yeri furrowed her brows in confusion. "I'm not trying to intimidate her, I'm just reminding her where her place is."

"Yeah, and right now it would be by Lisa's side." 

Chaeyoung answered and faced the front to smile at the next person who came to get a ticket. Yeri poked her tongue on the inside of her cheek, trying to calm her anger down at what her friend just said. 

"Ooh, you should go as the creepy clown we saw yesterday!" Lisa exclaimed with a teasing smile. Jennie opened in disbelief and grabbed a pillow, throwing it at Lisa's face. 

"Kidding." Lisa chuckled and caught the pillow, placing it over her lap instead. "So what do you want to be?" 

Jennie laid back on her bed and scrunched her eyebrows in confusion. "I have no idea. It's not like I want to win that contest anyways, so it doesn't matter." Lisa frowned at that. "Why not? You'd be perfect for a halo." Lisa praised. 

"Halo?" Jennie asked, confused by what Lisa said. "Yep. Whoever wins the contest gets Devil horns or an Angel's halo. I've gotten my fair share of horns." Lisa chuckled. "But you would seriously look so beautiful with a halo. A literal angel." 

Jennie rolled her eyes and brought her hands to her cheeks, trying to cover the blush that had spread. Lisa grinned at that and brought her own hands up to push Jennie's away, replacing them. She cupped the brunette's face and held her gently, as if afraid she might break. 

"I have an idea for a costume we can both rock." Lisa said gently. Jennie tilted her head to the side, leaning it onto Lisa's hands. "And what's that?" She spoke, feeling butterflies fluttering about in her stomach.

"Lisa Lisa Lisa Lisa, I don't wanna enter." Jennie tugged on Lisa's arm, trying to head back to her home and not go to the contest. Lisa continued walking to the gym doors, trying to drag Jennie with her. 

"Oh come on. We're totally gonna bag this thing, don't worry about it." She said reassuringly. "That's what I'm afraid of. I don't want to win this thing. It's fine if you do, but not me." Jennie whined and tugged harder on Lisa's arm. 

The contest was taking place at the gym, on Halloween eve, as Lisa called it. There would be two winners, and they would get to win a certain prize. Of course, last year it was Park Chaeyoung and Lalisa Manoban, since it was mostly a popularity poll, but this time Jennie was pairing with Lisa. So that meant, if Lisa wins, then Jennie has a major chance at winning as well. 

So she'll essentially take Chaeyoung's place, which is what she was so afraid of. 

Lisa sighed and turned to face Jennie fully. She grabbed onto both of her arms and looked into her eyes. "Listen, you have nothing to worry about. No one will bother you, I promise." Jennie pursed her lips, knowing she couldn't say no after staring into Lisa's doe eyes. 

"Fine." She said quietly and Lisa squealed. "Alright! Let's get this over with then." She took Jennie's hand and rushed them into the gym doors, barging into a dim lighted area with plenty people already. 

Entering it, everyone's eyes were automatically drawn to them. Jennie blushed and hid herself behind Lisa, feeling embarrassed. Lisa chuckled loudly and stepped out of the way so everyone could see her and Jennie's costume. 

Jennie had on a pair of really tight black shorts and a black turtleneck, paired with a leather jacket. She had her arm wrapped around Lisa, who was wearing black ripped skinny jeans, and a racing jacket, in her hand a helmet. 

They were race car drivers.

"Damn, vroom vroom!" Jisoo teased as she walked up to them. She smiled widely, showing off her fake fangs. "You too, vamp." Lisa complimented Jisoo's outfit, who in turn held out her cape and took a bow.

"Thank you. Now, go and cast your vote for the ballot so we can get this contest started." She reminded them. Lisa nodded and walked on, still dragging Jennie behind her. 

"Lisa, this was a bad idea." Jennie said, looking around and meeting everyone's stares throughout the gym. 

Lisa said nothing else as she bent down and wrote down who she voted for. Picking up the paper, she grinned at Jennie. The brunette curiously looked over her shoulder and blushed as she saw what Lisa wrote. 

"You can't write my name." Jennie said quietly, and smiled giddily when she saw a heart next to her name. "I can do whatever I want." Lisa put the paper in the ballot box and urged Jennie to vote as well.

The older girl teasingly scoured through the gym, looking at other's costumes. "Hey, you're supposed to vote for me." Lisa pouted and tugged on her hand. Jennie chuckled and looked up and down Lisa's outfit. "I guess." She wrote down Lisa's name and placed it in the box.

"Hey, are you two dating?" Jennie and Lisa both looked over to see a shorter girl look at them curiously. Lisa rose one of her eyebrows. 

Jennie mentally winced and she looked over to see a couple people grimace as they heard the oblivious girl ask. Sure Lisa was super duper nice for being enormously popular. But everyone still knew not to ask such questions. 

"Why?" Lisa asked and leaned closer to the girl. The poor freshman gulped and shook her head rapidly. "N-No, just curious." "Then go show your curiosity somewhere else." Lisa responded curtly and the girl waddled away.

"Lisa." Jennie reprimanded her for being so scary. Lisa shrugged. "Hey, she was too nosy. Whoever I'm with shouldn't matter to her." Jennie smirked. "Who said I was with you, last time I checked you were still courting me." She said. 

Lisa's jaw dropped. "Alright then. If you want to play it that way." She said and moved away from Jennie. The brunette immediately frowned. "I was just joking." Jennie moved close to Lisa again and Lisa laughed.

"But...I wouldn't mind if you weren't courting me anymore." She said and bumped her hip against Lisa's. The younger girl frowned, thinking Jennie really didn't want her to court her, but then her face brightened, getting the hint. 

"Oh, then you'll be looking forward to the next couple of days." Lisa said and bumped her hip back against Jennie's. they both smiled and chuckled at each other. 

"God, you're one of a kind, Jennie Kim." Lisa said in awe that she found someone as amazing as her. Jennie blushed and moved closer to Lisa. "You are too Lisa. I never thought that you would even notice me, but here we are." Jennie said with a wide smile. 

Loud whistles and cat calls distracted them both as they turned to look at the gym doors. 

Park Chaeyoung strutted through the doors with Pom poms in hand, and a short skirt with a cheerleading crop top. 

"I thought it was a costume party? Where's hers?" Jennie asked. Lisa snorted. "That is her costume." She said with an amused smile. 

"Oh." 

"And now, time for the most awaited moment of the night!" A voice boomed throughout the room thanks to the microphone. 

"To announce this year's halloween winners!" Everyone clapped and cheered at the mc, who was dressed as a werewolf. 

"Ah, thank you, thank you." Jungkook said and bowed at the audience playfully. "Just get on with it!" A lone voice shouted and the gym burst out in chuckles.  

"Well, someone's impatient. So, without further a due, here are this year's Halloween Devil and Angel."

Jennie gulped uneasily as Jungkook took his time to open up the envelopes. Throughout the evening, she heard tiny whispers of her actually winning, and she was terrified. She scoured the gym and her eyes landed on Lisa, who was near the punch, pouring herself a glass. She was clearly unbothered by the unveiling of the results. 

Jennie speed walked over to her and gripped onto her arm without saying a word. Lisa was startled to see her, but smiled reassuringly. "Don't worry if you win, you're not committing a crime." She said. Jennie sighed and nodded. 

"The first name of the night! Claiming the Devil's title! We have..." The gym quieted down and held their breath in anticipation. 

"No surprise here, Lisa Manoban!" Jungkook said happily through the mic, happy that his friend won once again. 

Lisa grinned and looked down to Jennie. "Hopefully you'll stand next to me on the stage." She said before taking Jennie's hand off of her and walking to the front. Jungkook winked at Lisa as she got up, and he placed the devil horn headband on her. 

"Can I have a dance in celebration?" He asked. Lisa chuckled and shook her head. "Sorry, Kook. Maybe next year." He chuckled and pretended to sulk. "Well, at least I tried." The boy said before turning to announce the angel's name. 

"And now, the angel of the night!" Jennie pursed her lips and clenched her hands in front of her, silently praying for it to not be her. Out of the corner of her eye, she already spotted Park Chaeyoung and her 'posse' stand up, ready to get on the stage. 

"Jennie Kim!" 

Everyone inhaled a deep breath and looked with wide eyes towards the frozen Jennie Kim, who had ajar. The room suddenly was dead silent, and after a few seconds passed, a sharp voice was heard. 

"What?!"