Chapter 24

High school Sweet Hearts | Jenlisa

"Maybe this was a mistake." 

Lisa said as she attempted to turn around, but Jennie's face made her stop. The silver haired sighed and slouched her shoulders. "I'm gonna lose, what's the point of even playing?" 

Jennie tilted her chin up so she could look into her eyes. "Don't be such a Debby downer." She teased and Lisa glared at her jokingly. "Oh come on." The brunette said and tugged on the silver haired girl's hand. 

"You're going to play and you're going to enjoy it. It'll be a nice experience and I'll be cheering you on!" The older girl said rather optimistically. Lisa shook her head and chuckled. "You're really stubborn, you know that?" She mentioned and reluctantly walked ahead with Jennie. 

"I know." Jennie said and leaned up to give the captain and peck on her lips. 

"Oh, Manoban!" The couple heard the older kid standing in the mostly rundown court call out. 

A couple other older looking kids smiled at them, although Jennie swore she sensed something bad at that moment.

Lisa raised her hand in acknowledgement as she walked over. 

The girl she knew as Sunmi walked out with a bright smile. "Lisa! You made it." She walked close and engulfed her in a tight hug. Lisa widened her eyes in surprise and smiled awkwardly. "Y-Yeah." 

Jennie side eyed them and felt her mood deflate little by little. "Yep. We're here." She couldn't help mention and when everyone turned to her with an amused look in their eyes, she looked down with red cheeks and shuffled a little backwards. 

Sunmi smirked and let go of Lisa. 

"This is Jennie, m-my girlfriend." Lisa said with hot cheeks as she finally introduced Jennie as hers, which she was dying to do for ages. 

Jennie showed a tight lipped smile and squealed in her head. Lisa said 'my girlfriend!'  She mentally did a little celebratory dance before returning back to the present. 

"Alright, well these are the people who you're up against." Sunmi shifted to the side and gestured behind her to the group of five who were standing around, ball in hand. 

The captain, Lisa presumed, smirked and walked up to her. 

"We've heard a lot about you, Manoban." 

Lisa's gaze hardened and she fixed her stance, no longer being smiley and shy. 

"And, these are the girls you could choose from to play with." Sunni turned around to see a couple others at the side of the court. 

The silver haired took a good look at them and noticed one girl. That was Kang Seulgi, Lisa thought. She never really had a conversation with the college student, but she knew enough from hearing Jisoo complain about her constantly. 

Apparently Irene never shuts up about her and is always gushing over her girlfriend. 

"I guess you wanted to be on my team?" Lisa asked as she called the older girl over. Seulgi chuckled. 

"Yep. Jisoo told me about this game and I thought, why not." 

Lisa nodded and felt a little relieved that she knew of at least one person on her team. 

After choosing three others, they moved to their sides and began the game. 

Jennie walked off to a nearby bench and sat down after dusting it off. Pulling out a novel from her bag, she fixed her glasses and began reading, keeping watch over Lisa from time to time. The brunette would always cheer quietly and bounced in joy when Lisa would score a basket or assist. 

"Your ice cream is dripping." 

Jennie said as she took another from her vanilla cone. 

Lisa looked up from the ground with a pout on her face. "I lost." She said and that somehow made her even sadder as she slouched down a little more. 

Jennie bit her cheek to stop smiling from how cute her girlfriend looked at the moment. "Lisa, you were up against older players, those who had way more experience than you and you were the captain of people who you didn't even talk to before." She consoled. 

"I'm not a basketball expert, but it seems like a loss was inevitable." Jennie said with a soft smile and leaned across the table to catch the falling drop of ice cream with her finger. She swiped it across the younger girl's cheek who widened her eyes in shock. 

"Hey!" Lisa whined and backed away, rubbing at the substance that left her cheek all sticky. 

"I'll get you back, Jen." The silver haired warned as she finally took a of her ice cream, feeling a little lighter after hearing Jennie. 

Jennie smiled. 

"You only lost by a point anyways. That's still a win in my books." The brunette finished her cone and cleaned her hands with a napkin. Lisa scarfed down the rest of her ice cream as well and the two stood up. 

"So, you want to head back or take a walk around the park?" Lisa asked as she went around the table to intertwine her hand with Jennie's. 

Jennie smiled widely at that and looked up at Lisa. "A walk wouldn't hurt." 

Lisa gave her a peck on the lips and nodded. "Sure thing." 

The two walked in between the tall trees that led their way and Jennie awed at the cherry blossoms that had bloomed. 

"Spring is here." Lisa said as she looked at the pink petals scattering about in the air. 

Jennie nodded her head and opened to say a cool fact about cherry blossoms, but she sneezed instead. 

Lisa chuckled. "I didn't know you had seasonal allergies." Jennie brought her head up to say something else, but another sneeze interrupted her. 

"Why don't we change our route." Lisa suggested and tugged Jennie off of the trail and away from the trees and pollen. 

"Oh god, I hate allergies." Jennie said as she took off her glasses and wiped her watery eyes. Lisa took the eyeglasses and held them right in front of her eyes. 

"Woah, how do you see with these?" Lisa said as she put them on and squinted from the strong lenses. "Hey! Those aren't a toy." Jennie said as she finally became fine again. 

She tried to take them away but Lisa leaned away from her reach. "Do I look good with these? Or weird." She inquired, still squinting. 

The older girl huffed. "You look cute, happy?" She said and took them off of her girlfriend's face, putting it on herself.

"Yep." Lisa said happily and Jennie shook her head before holding her hand again. 

"So, I was thinking after school tomorrow we could go see a movie." Jennie mumbled shyly as they continued walking on to her house. 

Lisa turned her head to the side to look at her. "Sure, I don't have practice. What movie is it?" She asked and Jennie put her head down. 

"A romantic one. It's an adaptation from a book I had read so I thought it would be nice to see it." She explained, unconsciously swinging her and Lisa's hands back and forth. 

The younger girl agreed. "Alright, as long as I get to come back to your house afterwards." She said and Jennie looked up with a raised brow.

"What? It's been such a long time since I've come over." Lisa defended herself and the older girl shook her head. "It's been two days since you last came over." 

Lisa scratched her nape and looked away, embarrassed. "I like cuddling with you." She admitted quietly and Jennie giggled, nudging her with her shoulder. 

"And I thought I was the sappy one." Jennie teased, but agreed. 

"Something's off." Jennie commented as soon as her best friend entered the classroom. Nayeon took her usual seat right beside the brunette and raised her brows. "What do you mean? I literally just came in." 

"You only wear a yellow top when you either had a revelation or when you're sad." Jennie said and put her pencil down to give Nayeon her full attention. 

"Which one is it?" 

Nayeon rolled her eyes and sighed. "You know me too well. It's almost creepy." 

"Answer the question." Jennie said and elbowed Nayeon to keep her from going off on her own. 

Nayeon pursed her lips and fiddled with her thumbs before responding. "I had a revelation." Jennie scrunched her eyebrows and leaned closer, signalling Nayeon to explain. 

"Did something happen between you and Jisoo? Did you two get into a fight? Did she-" 

"No!" Nayeon exclaimed before Jennie started listing off her questions. 

"There's nothing going on between Jisoo and I. At all." Jennie leaned back to her seat and nodded with a content look on her face before it twisted into confusion again. 

"What do you mean nothing's going on? Aren't you two together-" "No, No we aren't." Nayeon clarified. 

"Jisoo and I have come to terms. We really hit it off as friends so we decided to keep it that way. Neither of us wanted to drift away from each other if it didn't work out in the end so we're just friends. Happy friends."

Jennie's jaw hung open in shock. She blinked once. twice. thrice. Before exploding. 

"So you mean I've been getting tortured by Park Chaeyoung for no freaking reason! God, I've been going to sleep after locking all my doors and windows every night in case she gets a sudden urge for murder." She exclaimed.

"You know how many times she has made me almost piss my pants." She grabbed onto Nayeon's arms and shook her in frustration. "Do you?!" 

"And now you tell me there's nothing going on between you and Jisoo?!" She asked in disbelief and Nayeon grimaced as she nodded her head. She slowly pried Jennie's hands off of her and gave her a quick pat on the head. 

"Uhm, thank you for doing that though." Nayeon said. Jennie sat still for a few seconds before her eye twitched.

"Ahem, Miss Kim, Miss Im is there something important that you have to share with the class." The teacher said angrily. 

Niayoen shook her head to the side rapidly. 

"Miss Jennie?" The teacher asked the brunette who was frozen. 

"Sir, may I please go to the restroom?"

"My whole life is meaningless." 

Lisa frowned as she took another bite of her burger. Her eyes were still on Jennie, who just entered the cafeteria with a dazed look. 

"Wrut's Whong?" She mumbled with full. Jennie plopped onto the chair next to her and leaned her hand on Lisa's shoulder, immediately cuddling up against the captain. 

Lisa swallowed her mouthful and patted Jennie's head reassuringly, waiting for her to explain. 

"Jisoo and Nayeon aren't together. They decided it was better to remain as close friends instead of taking the risk of a relationship." 

"What?" Lisa asked and put down her burger. Jennie looked up and nodded with a pout. "Which means I've been enduring Park Chaeyoung's wrath for absolutely no reason. All this time I thought I was doing a holy and noble act in the name of my best friend's love life, but I was wrong." She said sadly. 

The older girl detached herself from the captain and took her burger instead, taking a huge bite of it. 

"Sorry, I eat a lot when I'm sad." Jennie mumbled. 

"It's ok, eat as much as you want." Lisa said while wrapping her arm around the brunette and rubbing her arm comfortingly. 

"You still up for the movie?" She asked carefully. The older girl nodded her head. "Just give me some time alone to recontemplate my life." 

Lisa chuckled and shook her head, bringing Jennie in for a hug. She rocked them gently back and forth. 

"Oh, you poor thing."