Episode 06 - Meet The Little Miss

Me And The Twins Next Door

A/N: Rachel and Claire here is played by Rachel Liang and Claire Guo

 

 

Grace peeked outside the room. The moment Rachel passed by her room, she immediately grabbed her inside the room. "Young miss!"  Rachel exclaimed. Grace signaled her to be silent.  Rachel just nodded her head. The moment Claire passed by her room, she also pulled her inside the room. As soon as the two maids are inside her room, she closed and locked the door. 

 

"Aiyo, Young Miss. You can't keep doing this!" Rachel said with a pout. Claire nodded in agreement. "Miss Carolyn would be mad if she found out we're talking to you."  Claire told her. Grace let out a sigh, and folded her arms. "But we have been friends since we were kids!" Grace said. "We know, but you are a young miss. We're just maids here."  Rachel said. 

 

Grace let out a pout as she slumped on her chair. "I don't care about what my stepmother would say." she said. "Eh, young miss, isn't Miss Stephanie going home soon? You'll have someone to hang out with!" Rachel reminded her. "She's going to Hawaii, and will be staying there for a month. Aiyo... you girls know that aside from Stephanie, you two are my best friends!" Grace said. 

 

The two maids looked at each other, and smiled. It's true, as the three of them grew up together. Rachel and Claire's mother worked at the mansion too. Before Master Ming married Grace's stepmother, she was allowed to be friends with the maids' children. But after Carolyn Chen stepped in to be the mistress of the house, she had not allowed Grace to interact with them. Grace would have to pull the two inside her room if she wants to talk to them. 

 

"Ah, I remember! I brought something for you from Australia!" Grace said as she stood up from the chair. She walked over her desk, and took two paper bags, and handed it to them.  Rachel peeked inside, and was surprised to see an expensive chocolate inside. "Oh no, this is so expensive!" Rachel exclaimed. 

 

"Young miss, we don't think we can accept this..."  Claire said. Grace pouted at them. "I think I know why young miss is bribing us with chocolates..." Rachel said. With that, she smiled.  Rachel does know her best. "But... are you really sure?" Claire asked, after realizing what  Rachel meant. Grace nodded. "I already asked Butler Jin to cover for me!" Grace said happily.

 

Rachel  and  Claire smiled. It's a good thing the good butler is always on their side. "Then, we'll give you the stuff you'll need this afternoon. We'll put it under your closet while we're cleaning your room, as always."  Rachel said. "And good thing I'm off starting this afternoon. I will meet you at the end of the street, all right?"  Claire said. Grace smiled, and nodded her head.

 

--

 

Carolyn sat outside the garden for her afternoon tea. She looked at her wrist watch before taking the tea cup from the table. "Butler Jin!" she called. The butler immediately came to her. "Yes, madame?" Butler Jin asked. "Where is Grace?" she asked. "Reporting to madame. Miss Grace is still in her room." Butler Jin said. 

 

Carolyn put her tea cup back on the table. "Call her for our afternoon tea." she ordered the butler. The butler bowed to her. "Yes, madame." Butler Jin told her. Butler Jin immediately went to Grace's room, and knocked. "Miss Grace... Madam Carolyn would like you to join her for her afternoon tea." Butler Jin said as he called. 

 

Grace opened the door, and the butler saw that she's already dressed in old T-Shirt and jeans. She had her hair tied up high over her forehead, and her big eyeglasses on. It was her disguise whenever she wants to go out alone. The old butler was surprised upon seeing her. "Are you leaving now?" he asked in hushed tone. Grace nodded her head. "But your stepmom wants to see you..." Butler Jin said. " Claire is waiting for me at the end of the street!" Grace told him. 

 

The butler smacked himself in the head. "Tell mom I'm sleeping." Grace told him. "All right, all right. But do you know how you'll get out of the mansion? Your bodyguards are all over the place. If they caught you, they'll tell your stepmom, and you'll be grounded again." Butler Jin said worriedly. Grace just shrugged his shoulder. 

 

Butler Jin couldn't help but smack himself in the head again. "Why does this girl have no plan at all?" he thought. He immediately thought of a way so Grace could get out of the mansion without the guards seeing her. "Ah! I know!" he said when he realized something. He took her hand, and lead her out of the room. "Follow me!" Butler Jin told him. 

 

Butler Jin lead Grace to the back garden, where there is a secret gate leading to the end of the street. They had to pass the back patio in order to get to the garden.  While they were walking carefully towards the garden, they saw some of the guards on patrol. The two of them immediately hid by the wall. The older man looked at the young miss, and signaled her to keep quiet. Once the area is cleared by the guards, they had no choice but to pass behind the area of the garden where Carolyn is. 

 

The two of them immediately ducked and crawled their way to the gate. "Where is Butler Jin?!" both of them heard Carolyn demand angrily. "Madame, we'll find Butler Jin." the guard she was talking to told her. "Call on him, and call on my stepdaughter." Carolyn ordered. 

 

While the two of them were crawling, Grace accidentally stepped on the branch, making a noise. They saw the guard on patrol walk towards where they are. Butler Jin and Grace froze as the guard walked towards the bush they are hiding in. "Meow..." Grace made a sound. "Ah, it's just a cat..." the guard said. Both of them sighed with relief the moment the guard went back to his post. A few minutes later, they got to the gate of the back garden. Butler Jin immediately opened the the gate, and let Grace out. 

 

"Miss Grace..." Butler Jin called her before she could leave. "You have to message me where you are, all right?" the old butler said. Grace smiled, a gave him a thumbs up. Grace immediately ran to the end of the street, and she saw  Claire still waiting for her in her scooter. 

 

"Miss Grace! I'm glad you were able to sneak out!" Claire told her. She immediately gave her a helmet for her to wear. "Good thing Butler Jin helped me. My stepmom wanted to see me." she said. As she was about hop on Claire 's scooter, a black car stopped in front of them. "Oh no..." Grace said the moment she realized whose car it is. 

 

The windows of the car rolled down, revealing her father. "Grace..." he called. Grace smiled awkwardly at her father as she waved. "Daddy dearest!" she said. "You're disturbing  Claire on her off..." he told her in a firm tone. Grace looked at Claire, and just smiled. "I'm OK, Master Ming. Miss Grace isn't disturbing me at all." she said. 

 

Gregory smiled at the two girls. "Let me guess. You want to go to the street market again, am I right?" he asked. Grace nodded his head. Gregory let out a laugh. It's typical of her daughter to sneak out with  Claire or Rachel, and walk around the streets of Taipei without being noticed as her daughter. It was a good thing she knows how to disguise herself. "She takes after my late wife..." he thought. 

 

"Then, you two should take care. Claire , be careful in driving." Gregory told them. "Yes, Master Ming. I'll bring back Miss Grace safe and sound."  Claire assured him. Then, he took out some money, and handed it to Grace. "Don't forget to treat Claire, all right? After all, this is a big favor you're asking her." Gregory told Grace. "I will, daddy dearest." Grace said. 

 

Gregory waved goodbye to the two, and headed back to  the mansion. That was the time  Claire and Grace exhaled in relief. "Ah, your dad scared me. I thought he's going to scold us. Good thing he understand you, unlike Madame..."  Claire said. "It's so hard too sneak out with my stepmom around. Good thing daddy dearest allowed us to go." Grace said. "Then, let's go? I want to eat shaved ice!"  Claire said as she started the scooter. "Street market, here we come!" Grace cheered.

 

--

 

"What do you mean Grace is asleep?" Carolyn asked the old butler. Butler Jin bowed to Carolyn before answering. "Reporting to madame. Miss Grace had a headache, and decided to sleep the whole afternoon. She would like to send her message of regret for not being able to join madame for afternoon tea." Butler Jin said. 

 

Carolyn folded her arms as she glared at the butler. She knew Grace sneaked out again, and she have to catch her. "Then, let me check on her." she said. She turned around to go back inside the mansion, making Butler Jin worried. "Oh no, I'm dead!" he thought. "Madame, Miss Grace does not wish to be disturbed." he said as she followed him. Still, Carolyn didn't listen to her. 

 

As she went inside the house, she saw her husband walking up to her. "Hello, dear. Are you looking for Grace?" Gregory asked. "I want to know how she is. Butler Jin said she isn't feeling well." Carolyn told her. Gregory looked behind Carolyn, and saw the worried look on the butler's face. "Oh, she isn't feeling well at all. I checked on her the moment I came home. She had the worst headache you can imagine." Gregory told his wife. 

 

With that, Butler Jin sighed in relief. Carolyn just sighed as she shook her head. Gregory smiled at her as he put his hand on her shoulder. "Dear, why don't you continue with your afternoon tea? I'll join you shortly, all right?" he said. "Do I have a choice?" she said sarcastically before going back to the garden. 

 

"Thank you, Master Ming..." Butler Jin said the moment Carolyn left. "Butler Jin, see me after dinner. I want to talk to you about Grace." Gregory said in a serious tone. Butler Jin nodded his head. "I will tell Miss Grace to stop sneaking out -"

"It's not about that."

 

Butler Jin gave him a confused look. "Then, is it about..." Butler Jin's eyes widened as he looked at his master. Gregory nodded his head. "We'll talk about it in private." he told him. Then, he left the butler to join his wife. 

 

--

 

Grace happily strolls at the street market with Claire . It's times like this that she treasures the most, when she is not acting all prim and proper in front of everyone, and she disguises herself as a commoner. "Ah, young miss is so happy to be able to go to the street market, huh?"  Claire said as she smiled. Grace put her pointer finger on her lips, and shushed him. "Don't call me that when I'm on disguise." Grace said. 

 

Claire  let out a laugh. "You know, I'm curious about you. All the girls would die to be in your place. To be an heiress. To be able to wear beautiful clothes, and live in luxury, and yet you want to wear a simple shirt and jeans?"  Claire asked. Grace stopped walking, and faced her. "Claire , wealth isn't everything. Yes, I'm lucky to live this life, but if I could, I just wanted a simple life without any complication. Wouldn't that be wonderful?" Grace said.  Claire nodded her head. 

 

She understood Grace. Since she was young, her late mother had shown her the simplicity of life. The two of them would always go to the street market, and interact with all kind of people. The late Mrs. Ming would befriend everyone, no matter what their status in life is. As for Grace, she prefers not to be friends with the rich kids. What Grace hates the most are the snobs in the high society, that's why she's only friends with a few of them.

 

"Ah, young miss..."  Claire called. As Grace turned to her, she gave her a pout. "I mean, Autumn... I heard the bubble waffle at that stall is to die for. Do you want to try it out?"  Claire asked. Grace let out a smile. "As long as it tastes good, I'm willing to try!" Grace said. 

 

"Lao Ban, give me one bubble waffle, please!" Sam told the owner of the dessert stall he frequent. "The owner prepared his favorite food, and handed it to him. "Ah, kid, you're not with your girlfriend?" the owner asked. Sam just let out a smile. "She broke up with me." he told her. The owner sighed as he shook his head. "Why?" he asked. 

 

"Eh, lao ban, it's been a long time since I've been going here alone. You're still not used to it?" Sam asked. "Well, it's just that when I first opened my stall and you and your girlfriend came here before, you were more handsome." the owner said. Sam gave him a confused look. "I am?" he asked. The owner nodded his head. "Because there was a smile in your eyes when you look at her. Unlike now. All I can see is sadness, even if you are smiling." the owner said. 

 

Sam let out a sigh. He still remember his date with Sylvia on this dessert stall. The bubble waffle sold there were their favorite. Three years later, it's only him that would frequent the stall. "Don't worry, lao ban. If I get myself another girlfriend, we'll go on a date here." he said. The owner smiled at him. "And I hope when that time comes, I'll see the smile in your eyes again, all right?" she said. Sam nodded his head. 

 

As Sam turned to leave the dessert stall, Grace and  Claire came to but bubble waffle.. "Lao ban, can we have two of your famous bubble waffle?"  Claire said. While they were waiting for their food,  Claire felt someone bumping into her. He looked back, and saw a man behind her. "I'm sorry..." the man told her. 

 

That time, Sam look back, and saw the man took the wallet from Claire's bag. "You good for nothing thief... why don't you go and find a work?" he thought as he eyed the man. "Thank you, lao ban!" he heard  Claire say. That moment, the man left with Claire's wallet. 

 

As  Claire reached for her bag, she noticed her wallet is gone. "My wallet!" she exclaimed in shock. She looked at Grace as she was about to cry. Then, Grace realized that the man who bumped into her was the one who stole Claire's wallet. "My weekly allowance is all there..."  Claire said in the verge of crying. Grace paid for their food, and handed her waffle to Claire. "Stay here, Claire. I'll follow that guy!" Grace said. "B-but.. Autumn!"  Claire called. Before she could stop the young miss, Grace ran to find the thief. 

 

Meanwhile, Sam tailed the man who stole Claire's wallet. He was planning to corner the guy, and give him some lesson. But then, someone behind him began to shout. "Stop! Thief!" a girl shouted. Before Sam knew it, the thief was running away from him. Sam wasted no second, and ran after him. "Someone stop that thief!" the girl behind him shouted. 

 

Sam ran as fast as he could to keep up with the thief. He was able to catch him as he turned into one corner. He held the thief by his collar, and punched him by the face. While the thief is still dizzy from his punch, he took the wallet from his jacket. "Why don't you get a job instead of stealing?" he told him. The man knelt down in front of him, and cried. "Please, have mercy on me. I had no other choice. I lost my job, and my child is at the hospital..." he  cried. 

 

Sam wanted to punch him again, but seeing the unfortunate man cry, his heart softened. This was the scene Grace saw the moment she was able to catch up with them. "You know that if you got caught, you'll be sent to prison, and you won't see your child anymore, right?" Sam said. The man nodded his head. 

 

Sam let out a sigh. He took his own wallet, and gave the man all of his money. "Here. Take this." he said, handing him his money. The man looked at it, and cried loudly. Then, he hugged Sam. "Thank you, good sir... thank you! I'll be able to buy medicine for my child now!" the man said. "Go before the cops catch you." Sam told him. After the man took the money, he ran away from him. 

 

Grace saw what Sam did, and seeing him being merciful on the thief after hearing his story, she let out a smile. She clutched on her chest, and looked at Sam dreamily. "Knight in shining armor do exist..." she thought as she watched him dreamily. At that moment, she knew she's in love with the guy who tried to catch the thief. She fell in love with his bravery and his kindness. "He is my knight in shining armor..." she thought. 

 

Sam looked back, and saw Grace looking at her with a dreamy look. "Miss..." he called. With that, Grace seem to be awoken from her daydream. Sam looked at Grace, and thought she was Pets. "Did I just save Pei Ci?" he thought. He let out a sigh. If he did, at least he did something good to her. "Your wallet." he said coldly as he handed her the wallet. 

 

Grace smiled at her as she had that dreamy look on her face. This made Sam confused. "What's wrong with her? Does she still have a jetlag?" he thought. "Thank you, my hero..." Grace said in a dreamy tone. As she made a step towards her, she tripped on her foot, and fell into Sam's arms. 

 

Good thing Sam was able to catch her. Grace clasped her hand as he looked into Sam's brown he eyes. She wanted that moment to last, and be in her prince charming's arms forever. "My knight..." she thought as she smiled at him. 

 

Sam felt awkward with the way Grace (who he thought is Pets) is acting. "Uhmmm... you're weird, you know." Sam said. He let out a sigh, and helped her to stand up. "I have to go. I'll see you later." Sam told her before leaving. With that, Grace was surprised. "He still wants to see me?" she thought. Before she knew it, Sam is gone. She let out a pout, disappointed that he has left. "I didn't even know your name. Or your number..." Grace thought. She let out a sigh, and went back to the stall to give  Claire her wallet back.