Episode 32 - Unwanted

Me And The Twins Next Door

It was evening and Pets couldn't sleep. She got out of the bed, and went to their desk. She opened the envelope that contains the documents about their real mother. Both of them had seen the document before, and Grace has insisted that they go and see their real mom. However, she had her hesitation. 

 

She remembered Madam Sha Li from The Summer House say that days after they were born, their real mom left them. For her, it means that their mom had nothing to do with them anymore, that she just wanted to forget the two of them, and pretend both of them never existed. 

 

But for Grace, it's different. She's hoping that their real mom would have a change of heart, and that she also wants to see them. "I wonder if that really is the case. If she wants to see us, then she should have come back for us at The Summer House, right?" she thought. 

 

Then, she looked at Grace, who is sleeping peacefully. She let out a sigh as she watched her. "I guess I have to do this..." he said. 

 

--

 

Sam got out of school, and the first person that greeted him, is Zhi, the young butler of the Lin Household. "Young Master Sam..." Zhi greeted him. Sam smiled at the young butler. "Zhi, what brought you here? Don't tell me, my father sent you? Does he have any message for me?" he asked. "Master Lin would like to see you." Zhi told him. 

 

Sam let out a bitter laugh. "Oh, really? I thought after I broke my engagement with Xue Fu, I have been disowned. My father have not talked to me for three years, except when he gave me my inheritance from my mom." Sam told him. "I understand, but Master Lin had some things he would like to discuss with you." Zhi insisted. "Does that include Xue Fu?" he asked. "All I know is that your father is not pleased, and that Young Miss Xue Fu is back." Zhi told him. 

 

He let out a sigh, and resigned to what the butler wanted. "All right, let's go and see my father. But we have to make it quick. I still have a shift this afternoon at the coffee shop." he told him as he got inside the car.

 

It was a short ride to the Lin mansion. Sam got out of the car, and looked at the big house that he once called home. He let out a sigh, and reluctantly went inside the house. From the living room, he saw his father sitting on the couch while reading his paper. 

 

"I'm home." he said coldly. His father put down his newspaper, and looked at him. "It's about time." he said. He stood up, and walked towards his son. "What do you want? Didn't you say before that you're disowning me?" he asked. 

 

His father let out a sigh. "Why can't you be a more filial like other people's kids?" he asked. "Do you expect me to be filial after all the things you've done to me and my mom before?!" Sam told him angrily. "That attitude of yours is the reason why I disowned you before. Why can't you just be an obedient kid, and follow my will?"

"Because I'm not as stupid like my mom, who's always at your feet, doing whatever it is that you wan!"

 

He felt his palm slap his cheek hard. He nursed that part of his cheek that got bruised. "I was about to give you a second chance. Now, all you have to do is marry Xue Fu, and I will take you back." his father said. Then, he looked at his father with anger in his eyes. "For the nth time, dad, I am not going to marry Guo Xue Fu. You already ruined my life before, I'm not going to let you ruin it again this time." Sam told him. 

 

As he turned his back on his father, he heard him call him name. "Lin Zi Hong! If you dare walk out of that door, then you are no longer my son." his father said sternly. "I never had a father before anyway." he said as he walked away. 

 

--

 

It was raining, and Pets walked the street inside an exclusive subdivision. She looked at the small paper in her hand. She looked around to see if she had the right place. "It should be here somewhere..." she thought. Then, she finally found it - the house she is looking for was right in front of her. 

 

She peeked at the house, and saw two little kids playing outside. Then, an older woman came out. "Natalie, Liza, come inside now. It's raining!" she heard her say. "Yes mommy!" the little girl said. She stayed for a while, and looked at the woman. "It must be her..." she said. 

 

She took out her phone, and looked at the picture of her biological mother. "It is her..." she said. At that moment, she wanted to be angry. How could she be a mother of two kids, when she chose to abandon her and Grace? What right does this woman has to be a mother at all? 

 

"Pets?"

 

Her thoughts were interrupted when someone called her. She looked back, and saw Sam behind her. "What are you doing here in front of the Huo household?" Sam asked. Pets gave him a confused look. "Huo?" she asked. Sam nodded his head. 

 

"D-do you know who lives there?" she asked, pointing at the house. "Yeah. You know the businessman, Wallace Huo? He lives there with his wife and two kids." Sam explained. Pets looked away from him, and stared at the house. 

 

"I used to live in this area, so I know them. They have been our neighbor for 10 years, I guess." Sam explained. "T-they... have been married for 10 years?" she asked. "Yeah. You know, they're really a happy family. Sometimes, I envy them..." Sam said. 

 

Pets stared at the big house, trying to suppress her tears. "She doesn't deserve a happy family..." she muttered. Sam gave him a confused look. "What do you mean?" he asked. Pets clenched her fist as tears rolled down her eyes. "Do you know Wallace Huo, or his wife?" he asked again. There was no answer from her. He waited for her to speak, but instead, Pets walked out on him. "Hey!" he called. 

 

He followed Pets as she walked away. "Creature, what's wrong with you?" he asked as he followed her. Still, Pets remained silent. At that moment, he became worried about her. "Pets? Pei Ci? Talk to me!" he said. Pets continued to run as fast as she could. Sam caught up with her, and held her by her arm to stop her. 

 

"What's wrong with you?!" he question her. He finally noticed the tears in her eyes. "Do you know who lives there, Sam? My biological mother. The mother who abandoned me and Xiao Xing when we were still babies!" Pets said as she cried. Sam was shocked at what she said. "Madame Ruby?" she asked. 

 

She wiped the tears from her eyes. "Do you know... do you know my sister wanted to see her? Do  you know, seeing her having her own family, her own kids, it pains me. You know why? Because she abandoned us! She never loved us! She just left me and Xiao Xing at the orphanage because we're just a product of her mistake when she was younger. And now, she have kids of her own! Why does she have to be happy, while me and my sister have to be miserable? How can she be a perfect mother to her kids, while she doesn't want to be a mother to us?" she told him. 

 

Sam stared at her for a long time. "I... didn't know..." he said in a low voice. "Tell me... tell me how can I tell Grace not to see her? How can I tell Grace the truth, that our mother never wanted us in the first place? That she is living a good life now. That it seems that she has forgotten that she bore us? How do I tell Grace that it will only hurt her if we see our mother face to face? Because I haven't confronted Ruby Lin yet, but it hurts here." she said as she pointed in her chest. 

 

Sam pulled Pets, and hugged her tight. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry, I didn't know about this. I didn't know about you and Grace being abandoned by your mother. But you know, life is not always fair..." he said as he held her in the rain. He took a deep breath, and held her tight. "You may have everything money can buy, and yet you can still be unhappy in life. You can have nothing, and yet see beauty in everything. What you real mom did, I guess it's for the best. You and Grace grew up with loving parents, right?" he asked. Pets nodded her head. 

 

Sam let out a sad smile. "Sometimes, I wish I was adopted as well. I wish I could choose my parents. But that's not my case. You and Grace are still lucky." Sam told her. "But what should I do?" Pets asked as she cried. 

 

Sam looked at her as he held her by the shoulder. "Do you want to live a life of regret? Of not facing your real mom? You wouldn't know if she had a change of heart if you don't try. I know, you're hurt because of what she did. And you'll continue to be hurt unless you face it." he told her. 

 

"I'm scared she'll push us away. I'm scared she will deny us." Pets said in low voice. He looked in her eyes, and he could see her fears. "Then, it's her loss, not yours. She lost the chance to meet her beautiful and wonderful children." he said. He smiled at her, and wiped the tears in her face. As Pets cried, Sam hugged her again. 

 

--

 

Pets waited for Grace to come out of their room. After a while, Grace came out and ready to go. "Are you really sure you want to see our real mother, Grace?" Pets asked again. Grace smiled, and nodded her head. "Of course, I do. I've been waiting for this day." Grace said happily. 

 

Pets let out a sigh. "All right. We'll go and see our mom tonight." she said. "I'll go with you!" both Aaron and Sam said as they raised their hands. The two looked at each other, almost glaring at each other. "Why would you want to go?" Aaron asked Sam. Sam rolled his eyes at him. "I have a car. How about you?" Sam asked. "I've been accompanying Pets ever since, haven't you heard?" Aaron told him sarcastically

 

"Then, you two can come with us, instead." Grace told the two guys. Aaron and Sam looked at her. "The more, the merrier!" Grace said. Pets sweat dropped upon hearing that. "Xiao Xing, we're not going to a party. We're going to see our real mom." Pets said. "Then, Aaron and I can wait inside the car. Besides, basing on the address of your real mom, we can't all easily enter the subdivision at this time. You need someone who knows the place. And that would be me." Sam said. Aaron gave him a confused look. "How did you know the place?" he asked Sam. Sam let out a sigh. "I used to live there." he explained. Aaron just nodded his head. 

 

"Can we go now? I'm so excited to meet our real mom!" Grace said happily. Pets let out a sigh, and looked at Sam. Sam nodded his head at her. "All right, let's go." Pets said. 

 

After a while, the four of them have arrived in front of the Huo household. Grace looked outside the window, "Is this where our mother live?" Grace asked as she looked at Pets. Pets nodded her head.Grace smiled at her twin sister. "I can't wait to see her." she said. 

 

"You two deal with your mom. Aaron and I will wait for you here, all right?" Sam said. Pets nodded his head. The twins got out of the car, leaving Aaron and Sam alone. "What made you have a change of heart?" Aaron asked him the moment they were alone. Sam gave him a confused look. "What do you mean?"

"You and Pets... the two of you hate each other, right?"

"We still do. But we agreed to tolerate each other."

"You helped her with her ex-girlfriend, and now you accompanied her here... something's off..." 

 

Aaron let out a teasing smile at him. "I just think Pets and I are in the same boat..." Sam said in a serious tone. This made Aaron wonder. "She was abandoned by her real mother. I got disowned by my dad. Both of us having troubles with our parents. I guess in some way, I sympathize with her." Sam said. Aaron looked at him. "Well, I'm glad you and Pets are in quite good terms now." Aaron told him. Sam let out a faint smile as he nodded his head. 

 

--

 

After Pets and Grace got out of the car, they saw their mother was about to enter the house. Grace smiled happily as she looked at her. "Mom..." she whispered as she smiled. As she was about to make a step, Pets held her hand. Grace gave her twin a confused look. 

 

"Promise me, Xiao Xing. Whatever happens today, you will have to accept it." she said. Grace nodded her head. Then, the two of them approached their mother. At that time, Ruby, their mother, was about to enter their gate.  "Mrs. Huo..." Pets called her. 

 

Ruby looked at the twins. "Yes?" she asked as she smiled. Grace smiled at her. She wanted to run to her mother, and hug her, but Pets held her tight. "Good evening. I am Xiao Yue. And this is my twin sister, Xiao Xing." Pets introduced themselves. Grace bowed at her. "Good evening." Grace said. 

 

Upon hearing their names, the smile on her began to fade. "Xiao Yue, and Xiao Xing?" she asked. "Y-you may not know us but... but we know you. We got the information from the Summer House that you are our biological mother." Pets explained. 

 

Ruby folded her arms as she gave them a blank look. "I don't know what you're talking about." she denied. Grace was surprised at how Ruby treated them. She became speechless. "B-but... 21 years ago, you gave birth to us. You left us -"

"Look, I don't know what you're talking about."

 

Ruby chose to ignore them, and turn her back on them. "21 years ago, you got pregnant at the age of 15, right? You didn't know what to do, so you ran to The Summer House to hide your pregnancy from your parents. You gave birth to twin girls, which you named Xiao Yue and Xiao Xing. Days later after you gave birth, you left them, and they got adopted days later. We are the twins you gave birth to. We are your daughters." Pets said. 

 

It pains Pets to be rejected by their mother, but she didn't want Grace to see. She needed to act tough in front of her, and her mother. Ruby paused for a while as she listened to Pets. After that, she slowly turned to face them. She still have the haughty look on her face. 

 

"How much do you want?" Ruby asked. Pets looked at each other with confusion. "What do you mean? We don't want your money. We only want to meet you..." Grace spoke this time. Her voice faltered as she spoke to her mother. "Tell me, what's the price for your silence? No one should know about the two of you. For me, the two of you never existed." Ruby said. She took out her wallet, and took out all of her money to hand it to them. 

 

Pets and Grace just looked at her. "We don't need your money." Grace said. Ruby let out a snobbish smile at them. "Oh, then I guess this is enough. Give me your bank account details, and I'll deposit an amount enough to silence the two of you." Ruby told them.

 

"We don't need your money. We just want to meet you, hoping you might have a change of heart..." Grace said as she lowered her head. "But I guess we were wrong. You never wanted us when you had us, and you still don't want to meet us now. Well, I'm sorry for wasting your time, Mrs. Huo. Don't worry, you won't see me and my twin sister again." Pets said. With that, Pets and Grace walked out on their mother. 

 

--

 

As they drove home that night, Sam could see the sad look on the twin's faces. He knew that the meeting didn't go well. They got home in just a few minutes, but it felt like a long ride home because of the heaviness the twins were feeling. 

 

"We're home! What do you guys want for dinner?" Aaron asked the moment they entered the house. "I don't know. I don't feel like eating today..." Pets said. "Fried chicken." Sam said with a smile. Aaron looked at Grace, and waited for her to speak. "What would you like for dinner, Grace?" Aaron asked. 

 

Grace looked up at Aaron, and let out a smile. "How about I treat you guys for dinner instead." she said with a smile. Thee three gave her a confused look. "I can go to the street market to buy our dinner tonight." she suggested. 

 

"Then, I'll go with you." Sam volunteered. "No!" Grace said as she made a stop sign with her hand. "Let me go alone. Don't worry, I'm going to be fine." she said. Pets furrowed her brows as she looked worriedly at her sister. "Are you sure you're OK going alone?" she asked. Grace smiled and nodded her head. "Of course. Besides, it nice to eat take out from time to time, right? I'll go now." she said. She immediately left the house before anyone else could say anything. 

 

Aaron  thought for a while after Grace left. "I don't think Grace would be this happy after what happened tonight. Something's wrong with her..." he thought. Then, he looked at Pets and Sam. "I... I need to go out for a while." he said as he rushed out of the door. "Wait! Aaron!" Sam called. But it was too late for him to stop Aaron. He looked at Pets, who just sat silently on the couch. 

 

"Let them be for now..." Pets said silently. Then, tears fell down from her eyes. 

 

--

 

As Grace was walking towards the street market, she couldn't help but finally break down. She stopped walking, and just cried in the middle of the deserted street. The way their mother rejected them had hurt her the most. Maybe it was also her fault, as she expected too much. She thought that maybe this time, their mother would want them. But she was wrong. 

 

She found herself sitting on a bench as she broke down. She wanted to get out of the house, because she can't let her twin sister worry about her. She wanted to cry, but not in front of them. She doesn't want to let Pets know how hurt she is with how their real  mom had treated them. 

 

"Xiao Xing?"

 

She heard someone call her. She looked up, and saw Aaron standing in front of her. "Aaron..." she called him as she cried. Aaron knelt down in front of her as he wiped the tears from her eyes. "Why doesn't she want us? All I wanted is to know her, and to be acknowledged by her? Why does she have to push us away?" Grace asked as she cried. Aaron just listened to her as she cried. 

 

"Why doesn't anybody want me? Why do the people I love end up leaving me? Is there something wrong with me? Am I cursed?" she asked him. Aaron shook her head. He looked at her, and then held her cheeks. "Grace, listen to me. You were born into this world, because you are destined to make someone happy, because you are going to be important to someone. It may not be your real mom, but I'm pretty sure, it's your sister, your friends, and your adoptive dad. People leave because it means their part in your story is over. And no, you are not cursed.  Whatever that happened in your life, I know there is a reason why." he said with a smile. 

 

"All I want is to be loved..." she whispered. "One day, you're going to be loved." he told her. With that Grace let out a smile. Still with tears on her eyes, she hugged Aaron.