Episode 38 - Heart Wall

Me And The Twins Next Door

"Then, what's your decision?"

 

Sam asked Xue Fu. "You know my answer, Sam. I love Brent. And it would be against my will to marry someone just because it's what my father wanted. You feel the same way too, right?" Xue Fu said. Sam nodded his head. "And I know you still love Sylvia, despite all the things that happened." she added. Sam let out a sigh. Then, he turned to face her. "Let's try it." he told her. Xue Fu gave her a confused look. "What do you mean?" she asked. "Let's try to be together. Let's try if this will work. Let's do the engagement again, and see if this will work out this time." he said. 

 

Xue Fu let out a smile. "Are you sure?" she asked. Sam nodded his head. Xue Fu looked at him for a long time. "I don't know, Sam... for now, let's just let things be. Maybe, one day, I can give you a chance. Or maybe, one day, we'll both find love that will make us forget those who  left us." Xue Fu told him. Sam felt hurt by another rejection, this time from her ex-fiancee. "I understand. Sorry I even brought it up..." he said. 

 

--

 

Pets got out of the room, and saw her colleagues by the pool, swimming and playing around. She noticed Sam is not with them. "Hey, where's that stupid idiot ert?" she asked them. Riley looked at her, and shrugged his shoulder. "I don't know. Maybe she's with that front desk chick." he said. 

 

Marcus nodded his head. "You know Sam. He won't let that cute chick go without getting to know her." he said. Then, Xiao Hou popped up behind her. "Why, are you jealous?" he . Pets rolled her eyes at him. "If there should be someone who would be around that chick, it should be me. I'm more handsome than him." Pets said. "Sorry, but you're too late." Xiao Hou said. Pets just pouted at him. 

 

After a while, Sam came back. He is all alone this time, and Pets noticed the sad look on his face. "Hey, Sam! Join us!" Ian, who was in the pool, told Sam. Sam just politely smiled at him and sat on the empty table beside the pool. Worried about him, Pets walked towards him, and sat beside him. 

 

"Funny, you're so quiet lately." she said. Sam let out a sigh. "I'm not in the mood to have a fight with you, all right?" Sam told her. Pets let out a smirk. "Your sudden change of mood... it's because of that girl, right?" she said. Sam remained quiet. "Why, you got rejected?" Pets . 

 

Annoyed, Sam stood up, and glared at her. "Can you shut up for once?!" he shouted angrily at her. Pets was shocked at his reaction. "If you can't say anything nice to me, can you just leave me alone?!" Sam told her. Pets opened to apologize, but before she could speak, Sam walked out on her. There's nothing she could do but watch him leave. 

 

"Did you piss him off again?" she heard Xiu ask him. Pets just looked at him, and sighed. "I guess so..." she said. 

 

--

 

After Sam left, Xue Fu came to see him. But she was not able to see him with his group. However, she noticed Pets, and decided to ask her instead. 

 

Xue Fu walked towards Pets, who is sitting alone at the table. "Hi..." Xue Fu said as she approached her. Pets looked at her, and smiled. "Hi. You're the resort boss, right?" she asked. Xue Fu smiled, and nodded her head. "I'm Xue Fu. Sam's childhood friend." she said. "I'm Pets. His colleague and roommate. Nice to meet you." Pets said. 

 

Xue Fu sat beside her, as she still looked around for Sam. "Where is Sam?" she asked. Pets shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. I kinda pissed him off a while ago because I was teasing him. Maybe he went somewhere to be alone." Pets answered. 

 

Xue Fu let out a smile. "Figures. So typical of him when he gets angry..." she said. "So, you two were childhood friends? You must know a lot about him, huh?" Pets asked her. Xue Fu looked at her, and smiled. "Why, are you interested in him?"

"Why would I be interested in him? We both like girls."

 

Xue Fu sweat dropped at what she said. "Oh, I didn't know. Actually, I thought you're his girlfriend or something..." Xue Fu said. Pets let out a laugh. "Me, his girlfriend? No way. Not that playboy!" Pets said. Xue Fu gave her a confused look. "Playboy? I don't remember Sam being a playboy. He had always been the loyal one." Xue Fu defended him. 

 

Pets let out a laugh. "You two may have not seen each  other for a long time. He had been a playboy. And a ert."

"ert? Sam is the most gentleman I've ever met."

Pets gave her a confused look. "Girl, are we talking about the same Sam?" she asked. Xue Fu shrugged her shoulder. 

 

Pets let out a sigh. "Sam became a playboy after Sylvia rejected him. Maybe he could not accept the fact that Sylvia rejected him. His fault anyway. He cheated on her, so when he wanted another chance with her, Sylvia  didn't gave him a chance." Pets explained. Xue Fu sighed as she looked away from her. "Then, all our efforts are for naught..." Xue Fu said. 

 

Pets gave the girl a confused look. "What do you mean?" she asked her. "I used to be engaged to Sam. Well, our fathers arranged our marriage. But at that time, I don't want to marry him, because I'm in love with his best friend, Brent." Xue Fu told her. 

 

Pets moved closer to her to listen, as her story sparked an interest in her. "Although I know he loves me, I can't be with someone I don't love. And he knew Brent is the one I love. So, we decided to stay engaged until we find a way for me to be with Brent eventually. But Brent died during one of Sam's fight with a gang. I blamed his death on him, and decided to have my revenge on him..."

 

Xue Fu's face became sad as she remember what she had done. "I... I made Sam break up with the girl he loves back then - Sylvia." she revealed to Pets. Pets was surprised at her confession. "You were the reason for their break up?!" she asked. Xue Fu nodded her head. She let out a sigh, and looked away from Pets.  

 

"I did everything I could to hurt him, to make him feel what I felt when Brent died. But I realized I was wrong. He gave me Brent's last letter before he died, and Brent said in his letter, that I should forgive Sam should something happen to him. That it wasn't his fault, and that I shouldn't have grudge at him, after all, it's not his fault. Sam tried to save him. He had a heart condition since he was young, and only a surgery is a way to save Brent's life. By accepting the engagement, Sam was able to get his trustfund from his mom, it was more than enough to cover for Brent's surgery. But it was too late. Sam got his trustfund, but he was not able to save Brent." 

 

Pets' view of Sam suddenly changed at Xue Fu's story. She didn't realize how loyal Sam is as a friend, and how he sacrificed his heart. "He came with me in France for a brief moment. That time, we made a plan to finally break the engagement. We went back home to tell our fathers that we don't want to get married. He put all the blame on himself. He said that he can't learn to love me, and that he'd rather be disowned by his father than marry me." Xue Fu continued. 

 

"Then, did Sam got disowned?" Pets asked worriedly. Xue Fu nodded her head. "The moment he got his trust fund his late mom left for him, he got disowned. I could understand him. He doesn't want to get stuck in a loveless marriage, after all, that's what happened to his parents. His mother loved his father sincerely, but his father didn't love her, and just used her for money and power. And, about Sam being a playboy, I won't believe that, because Sam's father is a womanizer, and that's what he despises about his father." Xue Fu explained. 

 

Pets realized how wrong she is in the way she treated Sam previously. She realized he could be a really good friend, basing on Xue Fu's story. "I... I didn't know that. You know, I really had a bad impression with him when we first met. I guess, there's more to him than his ert looks." Pets said. Xue Fu let out a laugh. "Wait, why are you telling this to me?" Pets asked her. Xue Fu shrugged her shoulder. "I don't know... maybe because I think you would be able to understand him more like I do." Xue Fu said. Then, she let out a smile. "And would it be nice to know more about the guy you're close with, right?" she added. Pets let out a pout. "We're not close." she said. Xue Fu laughed again. "Oh, I have a strong feeling one day you two will be very close." Xue Fu told her. 

 

--

 

Sam went alone to a deserted part of the resort, which is an indoor pool. He bought two packs of beer, and drank by the empty pool side. Seeing Xue Fu again made him both happy and sad. Happy, because he got to see his childhood friend. Sad, because Xue Fu is his constant reminder of his biggest mistake in life.

 

As he closed his eyes. a scene played in his mind. It was the day Brent died in his arms. Angry and feeling guilty, he clenched his fist, crushing the aluminum can he's holding. He shouted angrily at the top of his lungs, and threw the crushed can as far away as possible. 

 

"Why can't I move on?" he thought as he cried. He should have been the one that should die that day, but Brent saved him. "Why did you have to save me, Brent? Why did you have to sacrifice your life for me. You should be the one who's alive, not me!" he said as he cried. 

 

He wasn't thinking straight. Alcohol has already filled his mind, and all he wanted to do that moment is to die. He looked at the pool for a long time. Then, he made a decision to jump. He swam several laps in the pool. He decided to swim until he's tired. He decided to swim until his legs had a cramp. He decided to swim until he got drowned in the water. All he have to do now is wait for his death. 

 

Meanwhile, after talking to Xue Fu, Pets decided to find Sam and to apologize to him. She heard him shout from outside. She peeked inside, and saw Sam as he broke down. Suddenly, her heart clenched for him. She felt sorry for all the things he had gone through. 

 

She heard a splash on the water, and saw him swimming. "Stupid idiot ert, what do you think you're doing?!" she shouted at him. She towards him, and shouted at him to get out of the pool. But Sam became deaf at her and continued to swim. Only when he sunk at the bottom of the pool  did Pets decided to jump in to save him. 

 

--

 

Sam slowly opened his eyes. Everything around him is either blue or white. It was foggy as he walked around. "Where am I?" he thought.

 

He heard a violin playing from the distance. It was a familiar music, and he was drawn to it. As he walked towards where the music is coming, he saw a guy playing a violin. He let out a smile. He knew that person so well, he can't be mistaken.

 

"Brent?" he called. The violin stopped, and Brent looked at him. Brent gave his best friend a confused look. "Why are you here? It's not yet your time." he said. Sam could only scratch his  head. "Did you do anything stupid again, Sam?" Brent asked. Sam just let out a nervous laugh,while Brent rolled his eyes at him. 

 

"Where are we?" Sam asked him. "This is heaven's gate. Now I know why St. Peter told me to play the violin here. I never thought I would greet you here." Brent told him. Sam's eyes widened upon hearing that. "I am dead?!" 

"Who decided to drink and swim until he pass out? Not me!"

 

Sam scratched his head again. "But honestly, Sam. I'm glad I finally saw you again. There's a lot of things I want to tell you. You know, I've been watching all your moves." Brent told him. Sam's eyes widened again. "Are you watching me while I take a bath?" he asked. Brent just winked at him. With that, Sam covered his crotch area. "Even if you cover that, I know what it looks like." Brent told him. 

 

Then, Brent let out a sigh. "Honestly, I wasn't too pleased with how you changed. I can't  imagine you being such a heart breaker and a womanizer. Isn't that what you hated most about your dad?" Brent asked him. Sam slowly nodded his head in agreement. "I know you changed to forget that cute girl. But, past is past, Sam. You should learn to move on. And killing yourself because you felt guilty of what happened to me isn't a solution either." Brent told him. 

 

Sam let out a sigh. "Then, with what I did... I'm going to hell, right?" Sam asked. Brent smiled, and shook his head. "You're not yet dead, silly! I only came to see you talk some sense to you. And to do this." Brent said. Then, Brent hit his head, making Sam flinch in pain. "Ouch! You really have to do that, Brent?!"

"So that you'll wake up."

 

Sam let out a pout. This time, Brent gave him a serious look. "Sam, remember what I told you before I died? I'm happy that you're alive. I'm happy that I was able to fight side by side with you. Even if I died, it wasn't in vain. You and Xue Fu are the most important people in my life, and seeing you happy and well is all that I want. Who knows how fleeting life can be? Even if I didn't die because of that fight, eventually, I will die of my condition. So, you shouldn't feel guilty. You did your best to save me. And you became my best friend. For me, that's all that matters." Brent said. 

 

"But still, I could have saved you..." Sam said. Brent smiled, and shook his head. "If it's your time, it's your time. That's what the unknown forces wants, and we can't do anything about it." Brent said. Sam furrowed his brow as he looked at him. "Unknown forces? Are you also reading 'Always Loving You'?" Sam asked. Brent let out a nervous laugh, and scratched his head. "I had access to it, OK? And have you read it? The doctor's name there is Brent too." Brent told him. 

 

Sam let out a smile. The two of them hugged for a long time. "I'm glad to see you again, Brent. Even if this is just a dream." Sam said. Brent smiled, and patted his back. "I'm glad to see you again, Sam."

"But, where is my mom?"

"Currently torturing your dad with nightmares."

 

Sam let out a laugh. Then, Brent let him go. "It's time for you to wake up, Hope I won't see you here for a long time, OK?" Brent said. Sam smiled, and nodded his head. As Sam turned his back, Brent called him again. "Sam..."

 

Sam looked back at him again. Brent let out a smile. "A little spoiler alert. When you wake up, the first person you'll see is the person that holds your happiness. Also, Qing Er Mei Mei will get married  in 'Always Loving You' and Xiao Yu and Yu Yan eventually got married in 'KO One Re-Live'." Brent said. A tick formed in Sam's head. "I wasn't at that part yet!" Sam told him. Then, everything became white.

 

--

 

"1001. 1002. 1003. 1004. 1005..."

 

Pets pressed Sam's chest as she performed CPR on him. She covered his nose, and blew air on his mouth, and then pumped his chest again. "Wake up, idiot!" Pets said in a panicked tone. She was trying to be calm, but seeing Sam unresponsive made her panic more. 

 

Then, he started to cough, and spit out water. Only then did Pets was able to sigh with relief. Sam slowly opened his eyes, and the first person he saw is Pets. He remembered what Brent told him in his dream. "She's the one that hold my happiness?" he thought. 

 

He saw her smile with relief. He could tell she was crying the whole time he was out. "Finally, you're awake you stupid idiot ert!" she told him tearfully. Sam sat up, and stared at her. He realized how worried she is about him. For the first time in years, someone cared for him.

 

"Did you know how worried I am with you?!" Pets said, crying and hitting his arm. "Why do you want to die?! What would we tell your parents or your loved ones?! You're so stupid for trying to take your own life!" Pets shouted at him. 

 

Sam stared at her as she cried. He doesn't know why, but seeing how worried Pets is with him, he felt happy. He had always thought after Brent died, he would be alone. But here she is. She saved him. And she cared for him. And it made him so happy to be alive. 

 

Sam let out a smile as he pulled her into a hug. Pets froze as Sam hugged her tight. "Thank you..." he whispered to her. "Thank you for saving me..."