Episode 03 - The Playboy

Me And The Twins Next Door

The alarm clock rang for the third time that day. A hand reached the clock to press the snooze button. He shifted a little on his bed as he continued with his sleep. Then, he felt a hand wrap around his waist. 

 

Sam slowly opened his eyes, and saw a girl beside him. Another hand wrapped around his bare chest from behind. He looked back, and saw another girl behind him. "Who's the luckiest guy on earth? Yes, it's me." He thought as he closed his eyes to sleep. 

 

Then, his phone rang this time. He tried to ignore it, but it kept on ringing, disturbing his peaceful sleep. Annoyed, he took his phone from the table, and answered it. "What?!" he said in an annoyed but sleepy tone. 

 

"Sam? Where are you? You're going to be late on your first class!" he heard the voice on the other end of the line. It was Wayne, his school mate and official wake up call. "Let me go back to sleep..." he said groggily. "But don't you have an exam today on your first class?" Wayne reminded him. 

 

With that, he immediately woke up. "I do! Thanks for the wake up call, Wayne!" Sam said as he ended the call. He immediately sat up on his bed, and looked at his clock. He realized he only have 20 minutes left to prepare and run to school. "!" he muttered to himself as he jumped out of his bed. 

 

He struggled to put on his clothes. One of the girls he slept with was awoken by his actions. "Cutie... let's play again..." the girl told him. "I can't. I have exams today. You two should leave as well." he told her. He dragged the girl who's already awake, and the other who is still sleeping. "But I want to do that again..." the other girl said. "Just go and leave. I'll call you two later." he said as he threw their clothes at them. 

 

After kicking the two girls out of his apartment, he rushed to school. As usual, he's a little late. But not too late to not be able to take the exam. After his first class, he went to see Wayne to thank him. Fortunately, he was able to see Wayne at the library. 

 

"Wayne..." he called as he sat beside him. Wayne looked at him, and smiled. "Did you get in time?" Wayne asked. Sam smiled, and nodded his head. "Thanks for waking me up. You're the best." Sam told him. "Let me guess, you woke up late because some girls slept at your place, right?" Wayne asked. Sam just smiled, and gave him a thumbs up sign. 

 

Wayne sighed, and shook his head. After high school, Sam had really changed. He didn't went back to being a rebel though, but he became a playboy. He doesn't know if it's his way of coping with being brokenhearted by Sylvia, but he think it is the reason. Since Sylvia, Sam never had a serious relationship at all. 

 

"Do you know that if you keep sleeping with different girls each night, you will get STD?" Wayne told him. "Don't worry, I always make sure I have protection with me. And, as if you have never done that with your girlfriend." Sam said. Wayne's face turned pink upon hearing that. "We haven't done that. I respect Diana." he told him. Sam just let out a laugh. 

 

"I don't understand how you could stay in a relationship that long with your annoying girlfriend..." Sam told him. Wayne smiled at him. "Simple. I love Diana so much. And I waited a long time to be  with her, so I cherish her." he told Sam. Sam just shook his head. "Or, do you want me to tell you why, despite being a thousand miles away from each other, Wes and Sylvia are still together?" Wayne . 

 

Sam felt a vein popping from his forehead. Wayne does know how to piss him off. "Frankly, I don't give a damn." Sam said. Wayne just smiled at him. "I wonder... if Sylvia didn't choose Wes, and you two are still together, will you be like that?" Wayne said. Upon hearing that, Sam's face turned serious. 

 

The truth is, he's still hung up on Sylvia. For him, she was the one that got away. They had a good relationship, until he chose to mess it up because he got confused with his feelings towards her, and his first love. "It should have been me in Wes' place, anyway..." he thought. 

 

Sam let out a sigh, and faked a smiled at him. "I prefer my life this way. Collect then select. At least I've got a lot of options." he told him. "One day, you'll find someone you will love and be serious with. And then, you'll change for the better, and finally be happy." Wayne told him. Sam just looked at him. "That wouldn't happen. Do you think someone would be willing to love me?" he asked. 

 

Before Wayne could answer, they heard someone call Sam. "Sam Lin!" a girl shouted in the middle of the library. He recognized the girl as Fifi, the girl Sam is constantly dating. She angrily marched to him, and slapped him on the face. "That's for breaking my heart!" Fifi shouted angrily at him. Fifi slapped Sam's other cheek as well. "And that's for being a jerk!" she told him. 

 

Wayne could only flinch as he saw him being slapped. "Ouch, that hurts!" Wayne told him. Sam, on the other hand, nursed his cheeks. "That really hurts..." Sam said in pain. Wayne could only laugh at his friend.

 

--

 

[Flashback]

 

"Where's my cookies?" Sam asked. He saw her glance at the cookie beside her. He could see the hesitation in her face as she took it. Then, she looked at him. "Sam..." she called. She took a deep breath, and gathered up all her courage to confess. Then, she stood up, extended her arms and handed him the cookies. "I... I made these cookies for you. I... I want you to know that I like you." she said in one go.  

Sam stared at her. He felt his heart beat fast as he looked at her. "She feels the same way..." he thought happily as he smiled at her. Then, he stood up, and took the cookie from her hand. He let out a smile as he took a piece, and ate it.  "Hmmm... this cookie taste great." he commented. Then, he looked at her. "Sylvia, I like you too."  

--

Sam helped her get into the horse, while he chose the horse right next to Sylvia's. As the carousel began to spin, he held Sylvia's hand, and looked at her lovingly. "Why are you looking like that at me?" Sylvia asked him. "Nothing. I just realized how perfect this day is. Perfect weather, perfect place, perfect you..." Sam said. "Perfect date!" Sylvia said. "It is a perfect date. And today is the perfect moment." He told her.  

 

 He kissed her hand. Then, he gazed into her eyes. He leaned closer to her, and softly, he kissed her lips. She felt dizzy as they kissed. She doesn't know if it's because of the spinning of the carousel, or because of the feeling she had right now. As his lips parted from hers, his forehead leaned on hers. If he could freeze this moment and bottle it up, he will keep it close to his heart. "It is a perfect moment." Sylvia whispered. Sam took his hand again, and kissed it.  

 

--

 

Sylvia took a deep breath, and smiled at him. Even if she's smiling, he could see the sadness and pain in her eyes. "Do you have a wish? Maybe I can make your wish to come true." she said. "A wish?" he asked. Sylvia nodded her head. Then, she took his hand, and placed the paper butterfly on his palm. "With this paper butterfly, I grant you the wish you wanted you most. And with this paper butterfly, I will also wish for your happiness." she said. Then, she looked up at him. "I'm letting you go. I'm letting you go, so that you can chase after your happiness. I'm letting you go so you can be with the one you really love. Thank you for the happy memories you shared with me. And thank you for loving me, even if this love story has to end soon." she said.

 

He stared at her for a long time. He wanted to take back all of what he said to her. He just wanted to embrace her in his arms, but he had to do this for her. He can't break her heart anymore. As soon as Sylvia said that, they saw a small butterfly flying around Sam. "Look! There's a real butterfly after I made my wish. I'm pretty sure your wish will come true too!" she said, trying to be happy. "Sylvia, I'm sorry..." Sam said sadly. Sylvia shook her head. "Don't be sorry, Sam. If you say that, it means you regret loving me." she said. "Then, I guess this is goodbye?" he asked. "This is goodbye." she answered.

 

He watched her as he turned her back to leave. That moment, he immediately regret everything he did, including breaking her heart. 

 

[End of Flashback]

 

Sam stared at the golden liquid in his cup. There were a lot of people and noise in the club that evening, but he chose to be alone. It has been three years, but his feelings for Sylvia is still there. He tried to forget about it in every possible way, but there will always be something that would remind him of her. 

 

He gulped the alcohol in one go. It was his third shot that night, and he didn't plan to stop drinking. He just wanted to forget. Why did Wayne have to remind him of his regret anyway? "Well, Wayne was Sylvia's friend before we got close anyway..." he thought. He still love Sylvia despite the fact she had been with Wes for more than three years. 

 

"Hey, are you alone?" 

 

He heard a girl ask her. He looked beside him, and saw a pretty girl sat beside him. "Yep. No date tonight." he told her. He smiled at her. He knew this is one of those nights he will try to forget Sylvia again in the arms of another woman.