Episode 10 - The Evil Stepmother

Me And The Twins Next Door

 Aaron laid on his bed. His arm is over his head, while staring at the ceiling. He popped a lollipop inside his mouth as he get lost in his thoughts. He remembered that night Pets finally saw her twin. When he saw Xiao Xing, he felt a familiar feeling. 

 

"Well, I've been with Pets before, but something's really familiar with her. Have we seen each other?" he thought. Xiao Xing looked exactly like Pets. After all, they are identical twins. But Xiao Xing is more feminine than the boyish Pets. She looked gentle and dainty. He thought, it must be because she went to a good school and was taught since she was young how to be prim and proper. She is the daughter of the King of Real Estate of Taiwan after all. 

 

He sat up from his bed, He took out the lollipop from his mouth, and stared at it. Then, he remembered that day - the day "Autumn"  gave him a lollipop to cheer him up. She remember to black orbs looking at him, and those cherry pink lips smiling at him. Then, it him. "Is Xiao Xing and Autumn the same?" he thought. 

 

He let out a sigh. "Well, could it be here? Because I remember when I first met Pets, I thought she is Autumn, right?" he said. He let out another sigh. The friendly stranger that made him smile when he was at his lowest, and the one whom he caught the habit of eating a lollipop to cheer him up or when he is in his deep thoughts, could it really be Pets' twin sister?

 

Then, there was a knock on the door. "Aaron, it's me, Wayne." he heard. "It's open. Come in." he answered. Wayne went inside his room, and saw him eating a lollipop again. "You really like lollipops, huh?" Wayne said. Aaron just smiled at him. "You know my habit. When something's bothering me, I tend to eat lollipop." he said. Wayne just smiled at him. "Anyway, can I borrow your pencil?" Wayne said. 

 

Aaron reached for two pencils from his desk. "Sure. 2B or not 2B? That is the question." he said. Wayne sweat dropped as he laughed at his own joke. "You're lamer than me..." he said as he scratched his head. Then, he took the pencil from his left hand. "This would do. Thanks." Wayne said before leaving his room. 

 

As his door closed, he laid back to his bed. He put the lollipop back in his mouth and stared at the ceiling. His thoughts drifted back to Autumn. "Xiao Xing... could you really be Autumn?" he thought. 

 

--

 

Carolyn is inside the empty office. She sipped her wine, and then a sigh escaped from her lips.  She looked over at her phone from the table, anticipating a call. "He should be done with my orders by now." she thought. 

 

After a few more sips from the wine glass, her phone rang. As she looked at the number flashing on her screen, she let out an evil smile. She took her phone and immediately answered it. "Tell me you have good news." she told the person on the other line. "Well, I'd like to let you know that it's done."

 

This time, her smile widened. "Good. I know I can count on you with this one." she said. "And I know you won't forget about me once you fulfilled your plans." the voice said. "You know I won't." she told him. 

 

She took another sip from her wine. "Then, shall we go to the next step?" she asked. "Of course. When do you want it done?" the voice asked. "Well, he's leaving for a meeting abroad next week..." she began. "Then, consider it done." the voice said. 

 

As she ended the call, she She let out an evil laugh. It won't be soon, and everything will be hers. 

 

--

 

Grace was busy reading a book outside the patio, when her phone rang. She took it, and saw her twin sister calling. She let out a smile as she answered. "Hello? Xiao Yue?" she said. "Hi, Xiao Xing. I hope I'm not disturbing you..." Pets said on the other line. "Of course, not! How are you?" Grace asked. "I'm good. Hey, I was wondering, maybe we could go out for an early dinner today? My treat." Pets said. 

 

Grace smiled excitedly at what her twin sister said. "Sure! I'm free today." she said. "Great! Where do you want to eat?" Pets asked. "Anywhere is fine with me. Don't worry." she told her. "Then, let's meet at a cafe across Bai He University. Is that OK with you?" Pets asked. "Of course, it's fine with me. I'll see you later, Xiao Yue." she said. "Can't wait to see you, Xiao Xing." Pets said. 

 

What Pets didn't know is that while she is talking to her twin sister, Sam accidentally heard what she said, as she was talking to Grace at the living room. "Wow, this creature... she's been here for over a week, and she got herself a date?" he thought. He let out a sigh, and headed to the kitchen. 

 

Pets was so happy that she's going to see her twin sister again, she had to message Aaron about it. "I'm meeting Xiao Xing today." she messaged him. 

 

Aaron just got out of his class when he received Pets' message. As he read it, he let out a smile. "That's  great! You'll be able to spend some time with her before you leave, right? Where are you going to meet her?" Aaron replied back. 

 

Pets smiled as she read Aaron's message. "At a cafe across Bai He. You can join us if you want." she told him. Aaron stopped walking, and thought for a while. "Should I go? But I want Pets to have time alone with her twin. But I also want to take a closer look at her to confirm she's really Autumn..." he said to himself. He made his decision, and decided not to go. 

 

"Sorry, I can't. I want you to have a time alone with your twin. Just enjoy, all right? I'll wait for you to get home." Aaron messaged her. 'Thanks, bro!" Pets messaged him. He felt his heart breaking upon seeing her last message. "I am just a bro to her. How can I change her mind?" Aaron grumbled. 

 

--

 

Grace got out of her room, all dressed up, when her stepmother came. "Grace, good that you're dressed up. We have guests today, and I want you to meet them." Carolyn told her. Grace was surprised at what her stepmom said. "But I'm going out today...." she said. "You can't go  out. These are important guests. Some of the ladies from the high society. Stay and have tea with us, all right?" Carolyn told her. 

 

Grace shook her head. "I really can't. I need to go." she told her. Carolyn  looked fiercely at her as she put her hand on her waist. "Grace Ming, are you turning me down? You can't turn me down because I am your stepmother!" she shouted at her. Grace just lowered her head. "You're not allowed to go out today.  Stay and meet with our guests." she said before leaving her alone. 

 

Grace let out a sigh. "But I wanted to see Xiao Yue..." she said. She took out her phone and messaged her sister. "Wait for me, I might run a little late." she told her. No matter what happens, she have to go and see her twin sister. 

 

She went back to her room, and took her box of disguise. She let out a playful smile, and began to dress in her usual disguise - her big eye glasses, t-shirt and shorts,  and tied hair. Slowly, she tiptoed outside her room. "Miss Grace!" she heard Butler Jin call her. She flinched as she saw him. She signaled him to be quiet as he began to panic seeing the way she dressed. 

 

"Young miss, why are you in your disguise again?" Butler Jin asked in a hush tone. "I need to see Xiao Yue..." Grace whispered. "But your madame is expecting you..." he whispered. "Cover for me, all right? Xiao Yue is expecting me." she said. Butler Jin let out a sigh, as he nodded his head. "Be back before your father comes home, all right?" he said. Grace nodded his head. As she rushed, out of the mansion, Butler Jin could sigh and pray she won't get caught this time.

 

--

 

Pets looked at her watch. She had been waiting at the cafe for an hour now, and Xiao Xing has not arrived. She received her message that she will be late, but with every second that  passed, it makes her more anxious and worried about her twin. "Xiao Xing, where are you?" she thought worriedly. 

 

"Date stood you up?"

 

Pets looked back,  and saw Sam walking up to her. In his arms were two girls who are laughing with him. "Idiot ert..." she muttered. Sam smirked as he stood in front of her. Sam tsk'd at her as she smirked. "Poor girl... maybe your date doesn't want to date girls too." he told her, mocking a pity look. 

 

"She dates girls? I thought she's one of those girls who runs after you, baby?" The girl on his right said as she hugged him tight. "Me? Date her? No way. She's not my type. She's not even pretty." he told the girl.  "Of course I'm not pretty because I'm more handsome than you. And excuse me, you disgust me." Pets told him. "Well, she could  be handsome if she is a boy. And I only date handsome guys like you, honey!" the girl on his left said. 

 

"Baby girl, I tell you. That idiot is just going to break your heart." Pets told the girl on the left. The three of them just laughed. "Sorry, but my girls don't date girls. Just handsome guys, like me." Sam told her. Pets looked closely at him. "I'm sorry, but which part of you is handsome?" Pets asked. 

 

Sam felt a vein popping from his forehead hearing what she said. But then, he didn't show how annoyed he is, instead, he let out a smile. "At least I didn't get stood up!" he told her. "And at least, I get chosen." Pets said with a wink. It made him even more annoyed. He turned his attention to the girls, and smile. "Girls, let's leave this creature alone. Let's not ruin our good mood because of her, all right?" she told them. Sam waved at her, and left her alone. 

 

--

 

Aaron walked out of the school gates. He passed by the cafe, and stopped for a while. "Maybe I should go and say hi to them?" he thought. Then, he shook his head. "No, Aaron. Leave Pets alone. Don't be a clingy boyfriend." he said to himself. Then, he paused for a while. "But I'm not yet her boyfriend. But soon, I will be right?" he thought. Then, he let out a smile. 

 

Grace was walking towards the cafe as fast as she could. She had to lose the bodyguards her stepmom sent to look for her before she could go to the cafe. When she called her father about it, she knew the guards stopped stalking her. But she kept on looking back just to be sure. 

 

She was walking while looking back, that she didn't know that she bumped into someone. Aaron was surprised when someone bumped into him. Both of them looked at each other. "I'm sorry... I was in a hurry." she apologized. 

 

Aaron stood in his place, shocked to see her. "Autumn..." he thought. It was her, he can't be wrong. He had seen those big orbs before looking at her. And the shy smile on her lips, he remember was hers. "It's... alright." he said as he's still in a daze. 

 

Grace smiled shyly at him before going on her way. Aaron looked at her as she leaves. "She is Autumn..." he said to himself as he smiled. Now, he know who that friendly stranger that cheered him up before. 

 

--

 

Grace rushed inside the cafe, and immediately saw her twin sister. "Sorry, jie jie. I had to sneak out of the house to get here." she said as she bowed before her. Pets looked at her. She knew it was Grace, but she looked different from the first time she saw her. While she looked like a princess before, now she looked like an ordinary geeky girl. Pets was surprised at what she said. "Huh? Why did you sneak out?" Pets asked worriedly. Grace took her seat in front of her and began to explain things. 

 

"My stepmom didn't want to let me go out. But I really wanted to see you. Don't worry, dad knew I'm meeting up with you, and he approved so you don't have to feel guilty or anything. It's not your fault. I really wanted to see you." Grace said. Pets let out a smile. She wondered, how can Grace know what she was thinking. "Maybe it's twin's instinct..." she thought. "All right. I'm glad you're finally here. I got worried about you. Let's go and order some food?" Pets asked. Grace smiled and nodded his head. 

 

Outside the cafe, Sam decided to take a peek at Pets. He doesn't know why, but he suddenly felt worried when he saw her waiting for a long time at the cafe. "Why am I even doing this? After that insult..." he thought. Then, he saw Pets smiling at the girl in front of her. He wasn't able to see the girl's face, but he saw how happy Pets looked at the girl. 

 

"She sure did found love here, huh?" he thought as he shook his head. Then, he let out a sigh. "Well, as long as she didn't get stood up by her date..." he said before leaving the cafe. 

 

"Xiao Xing, there's something I want to tell you." Pets said. Grace looked at her twin, waiting for her to speak. "I'm planning to go home next week." Pets said. Grace slowly lowered her head, and Pets could see the sadness registering in her face. "Xiao Xing?" she called. 

 

"We just met, and we're starting to be close. Then, you have to leave me?" Grace said. Pets felt sad for her. "I'm sorry, but I had to go. But I promise, I'll come back for you, all right?" she said. "Then, you must keep in touch with me. You promised you're not going to lose me, right?" Grace said as she smiled at her. Pets nodded her head. "So, we have to spend a lot of time together, right, Xiao Yue?" Grace asked. 

 

Pets let out a sigh. "As long as your stepmom and your dad allows you to go out." she said. Grace pouted at her. "I know daddy dearest would allow me to go. But my stepmom... forget it." she said in a tone of disgust. "You don't get along with your stepmom, do you?" Pets inquired. Grace shook her head. 

 

"You see, she's very different from my mom. She's all about showing off to her rich friends. She likes wearing branded clothes, designer bags, the likes. While I... I just want a simple life. I wanted to be friends with the household staff, but she doesn't allow me to. She always wants me to mingle with the rich kids, but I really don't trust them. We always clash with how the household should be ran. She forced me to go to a very private college, when all I want is to go to the same college my mom and dad go." Grace said. "She sounds like a typical mean, rich, stepmom." Pets commented. Grace nodded in agreement. 

 

"But, you have to get along with her. For sure, your dad won't marry her if he didn't love her, right?" Pets said. Grace nodded her head. "Promise me, you'll try to get along with her, all right?" Pets asked again. Grace let out a sigh. "I'll try..." she said. Pets smiled at her. "Good."

 

"Ah, you said you're from Vancouver, right?" Grace asked. Pets nodded her head. "Then, I'll go there on my next vacation, so that I could see you!" Grace decided. "Sure! I can tour you around, and you can stay at my house." Pets told her. Grace gave her sister a smile. "I would love that. But, will your parents accept me?" she asked. "They will. And they will be happy to finally meet my twin sister." Pets told her. With that, Grace clapped her hand. 

 

"Then, I shall start planning my next vacation!" she told her. Pets just laughed as she looked at her sister. 

 

--

 

Grace slowly opened the back door. She looked to her left, then to her right. Once the coast is clear, she slowly tiptoed inside. But what she didn't know, Carolyn knew she would be back soon, and had been waiting for her. 

 

"Where have you been?" 

 

Grace heard her stepmom's angry voice. She slowly looked back at her, and gave a smile. "Hello, mom." she greeted. Carolyn folded her arms as she walked towards her. "You still went out despite me telling you to stay. You made a fool out of me in front of our important guests!" she said angrily. "But, I already told you I'm going out." she answered back. 

 

"And now, you're answering back at me? Where are your manners, Grace?" Carolyn shouted at her. Grace can't do anything but to lower her head. "You really like to embarrass me. Why can't you be like those other rich girls from other families?" she scolded her. Grace looked up at her, and gritted her teeth. "Because I am not like those other rich girls, all right? You're the only one who forces me to mingle with those other people!"

"Those other people in the high society will help you in the future. I'm just introducing you to them."

"Well, I'm telling you. I don't want to interact with any of them, all right?" 

 

She knows it's bad to talk back to her stepmom, but she had enough. "I can't believe you!" Carolyn said in a frustrated tone as she shook her head. She took a deep breath to calm herself, and looked at her. "You're such a brat, Grace. You should be thankful you that you're from an influential family, despite the fact that you're adopted. You're just throwing everything away with what you're doing. I'm telling this to your father. You're so done." she told her. She scowled at her before walking away from her.